COVID-19/Coronavirus thread

caulfield12

15 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

We pretty much just lost our jobs.

CIE followed suit with IB and cancelled all A-Levels exams around the world.

Now the question becomes what they do with online teaching (students not in Grade 12), planning, Extended Essays, personal statements, etc.

The local/Chinese teachers who were working online were just at 30% of previous salaries.  That said, the students paid all their school fees at the beginning of the year, so the parents of current seniors aren’t going to ask for partial refunds (tuition around $15-17,500 for most) but things are going to get dicey for Grades 7-11.

The students I was working with have their AS (Grade 11) exams cancelled and will go with internal/predicted grades instead.  It’s going to be quite the mess for university admissions offices to sort out.  Glad that’s not my job, at least.

If they cut salaries, until August, we will lose 50-75% of teachers.  And good luck recruiting new intl. teachers (maybe recent US education graduates desperate for any job with hiring freezes) to come to Wuhan, Coronavirus Central.

Damn, sorry to read that. 

• Love 1

5 minutes ago, bmags said:

Man I''m sorry to hear that caulfield. Hopefully things change from that outlook.

We’ll see what happens.  I have enough savings to muddle through 4-5 months of this, but the prices of international flights alone are going crazy.

There's definitely going to be a high attrition rate for single teachers with no ties to China.   With a wife, kid and even mother in law, going back to the US would put them in more harm than here (well, Iowa is relatively isolated) and also into two week quarantines at US military bases.   Just as importantly, no health insurance in the US, obviously.

The students who aren’t graduating should be returning to school in about 2-3 weeks.  Guess we will see then.   On that regular schedule, I had five classes of seniors (30-35 students) but online now I have five classes of 70-100 (332 total.)

Probably my biggest “added value” area is helping about half the graduating students each year with essay/US application guidance, so that skillset will be necessary regardless.  One of my co-workers is quitting to start a consulting agency with another teacher...and I considered joining, but it seemed too risky at age 50 to leave guaranteed five year contract and free tuition for my son in one year, when he reaches first grade (saving $13,000 per year).

I should be okay, hopefully.  But it will quickly get interesting depending on how the school responds.  We are branching into elementary and just added Grades 7-9 in the past three years, so they’re extended financially with three campuses running.  Economy of scale doesn’t exactly exist.

4 minutes ago, Texsox said:

Damn, sorry to read that. 

We don’t have unions in China, so schools have 90-95% of the power over employees.  That said, we have leverage in the sense almost nobody from US, UK, Canada, etc., wants to head off and start a new career in Wuhan, China, of all places.

26 minutes ago, StrangeSox said:

Potentially good news from Italy, so long as we see this through and don't listen to the increasing chatter about "just open everything back up"

As for the wisdom of the people saying we should just open everything back up, Lindsey Graham has a solid point:

The idea that we can trade a few hundred thousand lives just to get the economy back quickly doesn't really make sense. You aren't going to have a functional economy alongside a raging pandemic.

Lindsey will piss himself and appease Trump as soon as he turns his twitter at him.

3 hours ago, bmags said:

I am very worried about new york.

And feeling like Georgia and FLA may look that way in a week. For obvious demo reasons, florida really concerns me.

Oddly enough, very calm feel in NY, at least in my area of Brooklyn and my brief foray into Manhattan.

Cuomo has been on top of shit.

4 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

Same in Seattle.  Strong leadership (warning without scaring) works, go figure.

Pretty pleased with how JB has handled it as well. Well see where were at in a week or two though.

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, Quin said:

Oddly enough, very calm feel in NY, at least in my area of Brooklyn and my brief foray into Manhattan.

Cuomo has been on top of shit.

I'd wait until the end of the week. They likely waited too long to shut it down. Their case rate is worse than anywhere, and when it hits capacity it gets terrible.

2 minutes ago, bmags said:

I'd wait until the end of the week. They likely waited too long to shut it down. Their case rate is worse than anywhere, and when it hits capacity it gets terrible.

He's addressed that. It's because we're testing at a much higher capacity. You know the cases are out there, so you want to find them.

I'm usually not a conspiracy theory, paranoid type but I wonder how much our government is not telling us to avoid bigger panics. Probably they aren't holding anything back but . . .

11 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/22/opinion/coronavirus-economy.html?action=click&module=Opinion&pgtype=Homepage
Thomas Friedman, Dr. Adam Katz and Governor Cuomo seem to be coalescing around this plan.

Can anyone summarize?  Am blocked behind paywall, didn't follow interview/conversation with Friedman and Jake Tapper closely enough...

Didnt read the whole thing but this is the part your probably looking for:

"This is why pushing the federal government to expand testing as broadly and quickly as possible is so important.

Katz has created a rough template for the two-week-plus-sequestration-of-the-most-vulnerable strategy and how to think about coronavirus risk stratification, and different responses, on his website."

This is the website:

https://www.dietid.com/covid19

Edited by Soxbadger

Just now, Texsox said:

I'm usually not a conspiracy theory, paranoid type but I wonder how much our government is not telling us to avoid bigger panics. Probably they aren't holding anything back but . . .

I think this is truth and not much of a conspiracy.  The President has a personal stake in trying to down play this, and he has acted in this frame all along.

8 minutes ago, Soxbadger said:

Didnt read the whole thing but this is the part your probably looking for:

"This is why pushing the federal government to expand testing as broadly and quickly as possible is so important.

Katz has created a rough template for the two-week-plus-sequestration-of-the-most-vulnerable strategy and how to think about coronavirus risk stratification, and different responses, on his website."

This is the website:

https://www.dietid.com/covid19

Thanks.

New angle is that vaping among young people is contributing to alarming numbers under age 35.

2 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Thanks.

New angle is that vaping among young people is contributing to alarming numbers under age 35.

Smoking is bad when it comes to respiratory issues. Likely the same result with marijuana. For the time being best to stay away from them just to be safe. 

Hope all are healthy and well. It's been a wild and crazy week, and don't think it delivered much good news for most.

Trump is already starting to push for an end after 15 days, which really wouldn't just be pointless and negate the positive effects of the 15 days. Regardless, the economy needs a boost that isn't the government printing money and buying bonds; you can put money in everyone's pocket, but if jobs aren't there when things reopen nothing will matter. Illinois is looking at 1,000,000 being furloughed possibly, and if the businesses with temporary closings don't get help soon, those furloughed employees will soon be permanently unemployed.

27 minutes ago, Quin said:

He's addressed that. It's because we're testing at a much higher capacity. You know the cases are out there, so you want to find them.

then you would expect your positive/tested percentage to be lower...instead it's higher. Illinois hasn't been able to test as much, but that percentage is at 15%, Washington's is 6%. New Yorks was 25%. That doesn't give me the hope that NYC is just testing more than everyone.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/u/2/d/e/2PACX-1vRwAqp96T9sYYq2-i7Tj0pvTf6XVHjDSMIKBdZHXiCGGdNC0ypEU9NbngS8mxea55JuCFuua1MUeOj5/pubhtml#

12 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Hope all are healthy and well. It's been a wild and crazy week, and don't think it delivered much good news for most.

Trump is already starting to push for an end after 15 days, which really wouldn't just be pointless and negate the positive effects of the 15 days. Regardless, the economy needs a boost that isn't the government printing money and buying bonds; you can put money in everyone's pocket, but if jobs aren't there when things reopen nothing will matter. Illinois is looking at 1,000,000 being furloughed possibly, and if the businesses with temporary closings don't get help soon, those furloughed employees will soon be permanently unemployed.

For once, Lindsey Graham is right. Whatever the economic consequences, you can't manage anything if you don't get the huge surge of sick people under control or limited. If 1% of your workforce has it, but then 10% of your workers can't go out because they're high risk and can't afford to get sick, and another 10% can't get the medication they need, and 10% of your customers have no health insurance, trying to open businesses doesn't work. You can come up with ideas for opening things, but they all depend on how effective we are being at containment (very poor overall). 

• Like 3

WE CAN DO THIS PEOPLE. WE WILL SURVIVE IT AND WE WILL GET THROUGH IT AND WE WILL THRIVE WHEN WE GET PAST THIS.  In the meantime, we need to make sacrifices to get through this faster than not.  Every one of us can control and do that.  

• Like 4

Just now, Chisoxfn said:

WE CAN DO THIS PEOPLE. WE WILL SURVIVE IT AND WE WILL GET THROUGH IT AND WE WILL THRIVE WHEN WE GET PAST THIS.  In the meantime, we need to make sacrifices to get through this faster than not.  Every one of us can control and do that.  

#AloneTogether