COVID-19/Coronavirus thread

caulfield12

For anyone working at home,  I can tell you what I did over the weekend and it gave me a lot more normalcy going to work today.  I created some space in my garage and set-up a small desk with my old computer monitor (I haven't had a computer at my house in 10+ years..just rely on my work laptop) and just doing that made things feel far more normal today.  I get to go to a separate place to work, with a more comfortable chair and get to look at a decent size screen (vs. purely off a laptop).  Best part is, I can open my garage for a little Vitamin D.

I also set-up a small table so one of my kids can do some work out here with me and when they get some fresh air in front of our house, they can also play while I'm working.  

Over the weekend, we went on some runs/bike-rides (away from people) and have just tried to prioritize our time together. I have no idea what will happen in the short-to-medium turn, but want to make sure I take joy in the small moments cause who knows what else will pop up.  Been doing PE classes with kids too (to help all of us stay in shape).  I guess my advice to all is, despite all the unknown and craziness, make sure you find ways to take joy in the little things (or at least try to).  I also have talked to my neighbors (albeit from a distance) more than I ever had before, just reminding them / letting them know if they need anything, to let us know (and vice versa).  

Anything anyone else in here is doing with their kids, to keep them focused on school and just balance the whole working from home and caring for the kids.  

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

Idk if this was posted already, but this article states what measures need to be taken in order to not overwhelm the healthcare system. Most are not going to like what they're going to hear. 

https://medium.com/@tomaspueyo/coronavirus-the-hammer-and-the-dance-be9337092b56

https://www.yahoo.com/news/coronavirus-ever-away-heres-one-094824995.html
This is from the Dr. Tony Fauci of the WHO, lots of great information and predictions/forecasts...

We need a strong fed response to just lock stuff down for 4-8 weeks (vs. every state tackling this differently).  Lets beat this and beat it together.  After that, we might need to do more quarantining of those at risk people, but at least we can get things to manageable levels, imo. It also gets us into the summer time-frame, where hospitals will free up (since seasonal flu will be gone) and at a point in time where it appears (scientifically) that we would see reduced transmission (given the heat of summer and increased humidity).   

11 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

For anyone working at home,  I can tell you what I did over the weekend and it gave me a lot more normalcy going to work today.  I created some space in my garage and set-up a small desk with my old computer monitor (I haven't had a computer at my house in 10+ years..just rely on my work laptop) and just doing that made things feel far more normal today.  I get to go to a separate place to work, with a more comfortable chair and get to look at a decent size screen (vs. purely off a laptop).  Best part is, I can open my garage for a little Vitamin D.

I also set-up a small table so one of my kids can do some work out here with me and when they get some fresh air in front of our house, they can also play while I'm working.  

Over the weekend, we went on some runs/bike-rides (away from people) and have just tried to prioritize our time together. I have no idea what will happen in the short-to-medium turn, but want to make sure I take joy in the small moments cause who knows what else will pop up.  Been doing PE classes with kids too (to help all of us stay in shape).  I guess my advice to all is, despite all the unknown and craziness, make sure you find ways to take joy in the little things (or at least try to).  I also have talked to my neighbors (albeit from a distance) more than I ever had before, just reminding them / letting them know if they need anything, to let us know (and vice versa).  

Anything anyone else in here is doing with their kids, to keep them focused on school and just balance the whole working from home and caring for the kids.  

Oh yeah having dedicated "Work space" is key. Even if you're in a small studio apartment and you can only dedicate a corner of your table or a specific seat on the couch, do it. Make that your "work area" and don't do work in other places, or do other things in the work place.

My kids are 9 months and 2-1/2 and it's still winter in Chicago so we're all already going a little stir-crazy. But on the positive side, my son took his first step this morning and my daughter just five minutes ago read her first book and my wife and I were here for both of these milestones.

30 minutes ago, Texsox said:

🍺

We played a game in in college called alone. Where a group of friends would all drink separately for a period of time and then all meet up at a bigger party and laugh at who was the drunkest. (we weren’t smart)

This is just the worlds greatest game of Alone. 

1 minute ago, StrangeSox said:

Oh yeah having dedicated "Work space" is key. Even if you're in a small studio apartment and you can only dedicate a corner of your table or a specific seat on the couch, do it. Make that your "work area" and don't do work in other places, or do other things in the work place.

My kids are 9 months and 2-1/2 and it's still winter in Chicago so we're all already going a little stir-crazy. But on the positive side, my son took his first step this morning and my daughter just five minutes ago read her first book and my wife and I were here for both of these milestones.

Awesome news (on 1st steps).  Yeah - Today, I went on a bikeride with the kids during lunch.  First time I've ever done that in my career.  

3 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

Then you'd have hundreds of thousands of dead. 

Not necessarily.  

Italy is probably a nice worst-case-scenario set of data to use since their death rate is an alarmingly high 10% of reported cases.  

Italy Facts:

Reported cases (positive tests): 64,000 

Deaths: 6,000!

Population of Italy: 60 million

Untested Population: 59,936,000

Obviously within that remaining 59,936,000 lies both unreported infections and unreported deaths.  

So you seem to be in the camp that this is a total bloodbath of a virus which is fine.  Test, test, test! It’s the only way!  In that view, the Italian lockdown was an absolutely crucial measure, since it’s saved 59,936,000 people give or take (99.89% of their population).  They haven’t been exposed yet thankfully.  

Reports are the hospitals are currently overrun and they are not even putting people over 60 on ventilators, leaving them to die, which is awful.  

Interestingly, their system is completely overrun with only .11% of their population going to the hospitals!  A tenth of a percent.  99.89% hasn’t even gotten tested or needed the hospital yet, thankfully.  Imagine if just 1% needed hospitalization!  That would be 600,000 people or 10x more coming to the hospital!  If it’s overrun NOW, holy frickin crap. Thankfully they shut everything down so nobody else got it.   

So thankfully their lockdown has started to work since their infections and deaths are coming down slightly the last day or two.  with 99.9% of their population saved and never exposed, they’ve avoided a catastrophe!  They’ve done a good job saving 99.9% of their population considering how easily it spreads; stays on some surfaces for days!  Fortunately 99.9% of their population doesn’t have it because like you said, you’d see hundreds of thousands of body bags.  Maybe millions, considering how easily it spreads.  

And then, thinking down the line, once the world opens back up for international travel, they have to be very careful in Italy considering 99.9% of their population is STILL vulnerable.  Considering how fast it spreads, they’ll have to make sure they are taking temperatures at the airports because they wouldn’t want to risk an outbreak in the remaining 99.9% of the population, since a tenth of 1% getting the virus has completely overrun their health system.  

Granted, the numbers are localized to areas of outbreak, which skews the percentages, but by how much? I dunno but the numbers are the numbers, and that’s all we have right now.  The numbers

Just now, Texsox said:

I'm usually not a conspiracy theory, paranoid type but I wonder how much our government is not telling us to avoid bigger panics. Probably they aren't holding anything back but . . .

We will tell you what you need to know. Word is that business lobbyists do not want the Defense Production Act to be invoked. Certain forces want business as usual asap. 

28 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

https://www.yahoo.com/news/coronavirus-ever-away-heres-one-094824995.html
This is from the Dr. Tony Fauci of the WHO, lots of great information and predictions/forecasts...

It's not Tony Fauci, it's Dr. Bruce Aylward from the WHO. Fauci works for NIH. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

With two teachers here trying to work from home we needed to create two spaces. Plus I created a video or audio recording space that my wife ignores. I wanted to have a space with a nice background.

I had multiple doctor appointments scheduled over the next few weeks and it's interesting how they are now trying to limit unnecessary appointments. Makes me wonder why they were so insistent on these follow up visits when they first scheduled them. My ophthalmologist wants to see me twice a year or will not renew my prescriptions -  until now. How much time and money have I wasted?

Just now, caulfield12 said:

You didn’t read carefully.

He has been criticized for being too complimentary of China, but one of the true experts in the world.   

I read carefully, and word for word. Nowhere in that article does it mention Dr. Fauci. 

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, pcq said:

We will tell you what you need to know. Word is that business lobbyists do not want the Defense Production Act to be invoked. Certain forces want business as usual asap. 

We are not Venezuela or Cuba or Sandanistas!

Of course, the reality is many northern European countries are nationalized in various industries, and China has the best record of bringing people out of poverty to middle class in the last fifty years.  Singapore, yet another example.

Nobody wants to have that more nuanced conversation.  Too complicated.

3 minutes ago, Tony said:

Reading the tea leaves, I feel like this is how the next 15 days are going to shake out, and it's going to get way more political than it already has. Trump is getting a tremendous amount of pressure from CEO's, business owners and his friends at Fox that a date needs to be given when businesses will be back open, and people can resume living their lives. Medical professionals will say this isn't the right idea or plan, but those that support Trump will follow his lead. The question is what governors will do and how they follow suit. But if half the country isn't practicing social distancing, I don't know how this thing ends. Are we just going to get to a point where you just have to "risk it" when you go out, hope for the best while they work for a vaccine? 

I think the end result is going to be nightmarish images from medical facilities in the next week or two, to the point where politicians  reach the point mayors have in Italy of threatening people with flamethrowers. 

31 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

This is from the Dr. Tony Fauci of the WHO (meaning corresponding equivalent, since few know him yet.)

Not in the link I clicked on. Are you sure you sent me the right link? 

In that link they have a conversation with Dr. Bruce Aylward. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

1 minute ago, Jack Parkman said:

Not in the link I clicked on. Are you sure you sent me the right link? 

Caulfield is being cute with his wording.  "The" Tony Fauci of the WHO = the WHO equivalent of Tony Fauci

9 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

Caulfield is being cute with his wording.  "The" Tony Fauci of the WHO = the WHO equivalent of Tony Fauci

Me, cute?  I guess I need to be more literal next time and spell it out explicitly.

“A rapidly escalating outbreak has plateaued, and come down faster than would have been expected. Back of the envelope, it's hundreds of thousands of people in China that did not get Covid-19 because of this aggressive response.”  NY Times

Dr. Aylward didn’t mean the draconian measures here, people being locked inside apartments just for being suspected of being ill, closing pharmacies to force lots of people who had other health problems into hospitals and likely infected, bribing people to turn sick people into authorities, 40000 person banquets with 12000+ shared dishes weeks after they knew there was a serious problem, command structure which caused local officials to wait for Beijing to decide after keeping it quiet for weeks, whistle blowing doctors and reporters disappeared or reprimanded...there are 50 things I could point out that  China messed up that made things much worse.

Edited by caulfield12
  • Like 1