COVID-19/Coronavirus thread

caulfield12

20 min ago

More than 13% of Spanish coronavirus cases are health care workers

From CNN's Lindsay Isaac

Medical workers in Spain account for 13.6% of its total coronavirus cases, according to Fernando Simón, director of the Spanish Coordinating Centre for Health Alerts and Emergencies at Spain’s Ministry of Health.

Health care workers account for 5,400 of the country’s 39,673 total cases, he said on Tuesday.

Edited by caulfield12

In addition to the unreported cases that probably exist in large numbers, I wonder about deaths too. Things like homicide rates are pretty reliable because it is really hard to hide one. But this thing could be killing people, especially in less advanced countries and even rural parts of the US, and people are or were just assuming it was something mundane or a pre-existing condition. Especially since it hits people already immuno-compromised the hardest.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, NorthSideSox72 said:

In addition to the unreported cases that probably exist in large numbers, I wonder about deaths too. Things like homicide rates are pretty reliable because it is really hard to hide one. But this thing could be killing people, especially in less advanced countries and even rural parts of the US, and people are or were just assuming it was something mundane or a pre-existing condition. Especially since it hits people already immuno-compromised the hardest.

I promise you this is a thing right now.  We see it in all tragedies.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Texsox said:

Is there an incentive for hospitals to under report? I can't think of one, there probably isn't, but nothing surprises me. 

It's just an issue of testing. If they die before you can test, they aren't going to use a test on them.

We need double the tests per day we're at now. Hopefully we'll get there in a few weeks.

8 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

I promise you this is a thing right now.  We see it in all tragedies.

I am very confident it is there, but wouldn't pretend to know the extent. No idea how much.

1 minute ago, Texsox said:

Is there an incentive for hospitals to under report? I can't think of one, there probably isn't, but nothing surprises me. 

I don't think it is intentional, I think it's just passing things over and assuming it is something else. I would guess this is especially happening in countries with less advanced medical systems, and where the virus (and the news about it) haven't yet taken a deep hold.

But also, part of the problem with diagnosing any illness is that so many of them have overlapping symptoms, and multiple can be present at one time. If a 75-year-old patient with mild emphazema dies of respiratory complications, they might not even test for COVID after the fact.

• Like 1

Watch out, you’ll get Fauci’ed!!!

But Morgan Stanley is warning that there are real risks to that strategy.

"If the White House were to relax the social distancing measures 'soon,' well ahead of the necessary timeline to have a significant impact on our view, it would raise the risk of increasing the peak or delaying the time to peak," Morgan Stanley analysts wrote in a report Tuesday.

In other words, rather than flattening the curve, the government would be making it worse.

If anything, the Wall Street firm is growing more concerned about the coronavirus outlook in the United States, which now has more than 50,000 confirmed cases.

"High positive testing rates and mixed lock down measures raise [the] risk that our base case forecast may be optimistic," Morgan Stanley analysts wrote.

I forgot to mention in an earlier post about potential trouble areas...ICE detainees and prisons, in general.  Had sime really bad clusters in a women’s prison here in China, and we only hear 10-15% of what’s actually going on, so probably far worse in actuality.

Imagine if there was a life-saving vaccine or cure that was being shipped to some states but not other states. Would never happen right? Not if they are polite enough. 

The seemingly improving or cresting situation in Italy took another turn for the worse.  Already at double China in roughly 1/3rd the amount of time.   

https://www.yahoo.com/news/italian-coronavirus-cases-likely-10-103516089.html

ROME (Reuters) - Fatalities in Italy from coronavirus have surged in the last 24 hours, the Civil Protection Agency said on Tuesday, dashing hopes the epidemic in the world's worst hit country was easing after more encouraging numbers in the previous two days.

The death toll rose by 743 on Tuesday, the second highest daily tally since the outbreak emerged in northern regions on Feb. 21, and up steeply from the 602 recorded on Monday.

Italy has seen more fatalities than any other country, with latest figures showing that 6,820 people have died from the infection in barely a month.

The total number of confirmed cases hit 69,176 on Tuesday, but with Italy testing only people with severe symptoms, the head of the Civil Protection Agency said the true number of infected people was probably 10 times higher. 

1 hour ago, caulfield12 said:

The seemingly improving or cresting situation in Italy took another turn for the worse.  Already at double China in roughly 1/3rd the amount of time.   

https://www.yahoo.com/news/italian-coronavirus-cases-likely-10-103516089.html

ROME (Reuters) - Fatalities in Italy from coronavirus have surged in the last 24 hours, the Civil Protection Agency said on Tuesday, dashing hopes the epidemic in the world's worst hit country was easing after more encouraging numbers in the previous two days.

The death toll rose by 743 on Tuesday, the second highest daily tally since the outbreak emerged in northern regions on Feb. 21, and up steeply from the 602 recorded on Monday.

Italy has seen more fatalities than any other country, with latest figures showing that 6,820 people have died from the infection in barely a month.

The total number of confirmed cases hit 69,176 on Tuesday, but with Italy testing only people with severe symptoms, the head of the Civil Protection Agency said the true number of infected people was probably 10 times higher. 

There we go.  The best data we have is a rough guess by the head of the Italian Civil Protection Agency.  Absolutely incredible.  

Gives a little more hope that it took 1 whole percent of their population infected (600,000) instead of a tenth of a percent (60,000) to overrun their health system.  Still scary AF projecting that number anywhere else (USA).  Hopefully way more Italians than 600,000 have the virus.  

46 minutes ago, Yearnin' for Yermin said:

I lean left, but I do find the daily reddit threads demanding that Trump step down over this humorous. Yeah, like that will ever happen. That place is a group-think cesspool.

I try to be consistent and think down the road, could I say the same thing when it's a Dem. 

47 minutes ago, Jerksticks said:

There we go.  The best data we have is a rough guess by the head of the Italian Civil Protection Agency.  Absolutely incredible.  

Gives a little more hope that it took 1 whole percent of their population infected (600,000) instead of a tenth of a percent (60,000) to overrun their health system.  Still scary AF projecting that number anywhere else (USA).  Hopefully way more Italians than 600,000 have the virus.  

You’re not calculating the mortality rate, though, from total cases.

You have to compare to recovered to get the most accurate picture of the real situation on the ground.

Trying to recall any president from Nixon until today who attempted to take credit publicly positive swings in the stock market.... 

President Trump said that a “big part” of the stock market and the Dow’s surge today was due to his work to get the country “open as soon possible” as well as the potential deal reached on the Hill.

“This is very encouraging and I think part of the reason is looking what is close to being passed and I think a very big part of it is they see that we want to get our country open as soon as possible. They see we’re working very hard on that. That’s a very big factor I think in today’s historic gain,” Trump told reporters in the briefing room on Tuesday.

cnn.com

Edited by caulfield12

22 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

“This is very encouraging and I think part of the reason is looking what is close to being passed and I think a very big part of it is they see that we want to get our country open as soon as possible. They see we’re working very hard on that. That’s a very big factor I think in today’s historic gain,” Trump told reporters in the briefing room on Tuesday.

cnn.com

Oh dear god he specifically cited Texas as an area that he could open today and he's taking support for the idea from the stock market surge. It's going to happen.

2 hours ago, NorthSideSox72 said:

I am very confident it is there, but wouldn't pretend to know the extent. No idea how much.

I don't think it is intentional, I think it's just passing things over and assuming it is something else. I would guess this is especially happening in countries with less advanced medical systems, and where the virus (and the news about it) haven't yet taken a deep hold.

But also, part of the problem with diagnosing any illness is that so many of them have overlapping symptoms, and multiple can be present at one time. If a 75-year-old patient with mild emphazema dies of respiratory complications, they might not even test for COVID after the fact.

I think you're right, but 2 things to highlight - first, the lack of deaths is encouraging the President to say we need to remove these "Shelter in place" orders to get business back open so even if it's not intentional that's adding to the nightmare...

Furthermore...if we are unable to test those people, then we are unable to tell people who may have been in contact with them to isolate, so we're creating additional spread.

6 minutes ago, NorthSideSox72 said:

Where are you getting 6 trillion dollars? 

QE, Fed purchases...lending power/backstop of the Fed, Treasury notes, etc.  Once upon a time, spending $1 trillion was considered a clear threat to future generations of Americans.   Now the pendulum has swung so far the other direction.

The other $4 trillion will allow the Federal Reserve to make huge emergency bailouts to whatever entity it chooses — a measure that was used to prop-up Wall Street firms from collapse during the 2008 financial crisis.

Edited by caulfield12

https://www.ft.com/content/5ff6469a-6dd8-11ea-89df-41bea055720b

I don’t know the credibility level of this but man I hope this ends up being true.  This is finally the first hint of an article mentioning what I’ve been saying on here the last few weeks.  

Oxford?  I’ll take it.  Get out there scientists and test this theory!  Put some points on the board for the human race, we need it.  

1 hour ago, Tony said:

There are crazy people on both sides. Always have been, always will be. The political divide in this country currently, combined with the rise of social media over the last decade, makes things even worse. I've made it pretty clear what side of the aisle I sit on, but I also try not to surround myself with "crazy" people. I have a number of conservative friends, some of those conservative friends voted for Trump, most didn't, but I can always have a rational conversation with them because at the end of the day our views are fairly similar aside from a few topics.

It really sucks how it feels like we're so far apart all the time. A bunch of "extremists" have to ruin it for everyone else. 

Yeah I'm leaning left but I have nothing against sane, moderate conservatives plus there are crazy leftists too.

Definitely pretty crazy atmosphere in us politics right now.

• Like 1