COVID-19/Coronavirus thread

caulfield12

22 minutes ago, mqr said:

I agree with everything except the move on faster point. We bungled containment, if it was possible at all. Now the goal is to make it last as long as possible. If we do nothing it'll be over quicker, but with orders of magnitude more bodies and all sorts of failed infrastructure. 

I can't fathom how anyone believes the economy can function with people just dropping dead all over the place though. 

13 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

honestly, no it won't, because even if we did nothing, we don't hit the peak of cases until June or July per the Imperial college study, so the death and destruction option lasts a good 6 months.

Sorry, maybe I wasn't totally clear what I meant about getting it over with. Short term nation-wide lockdown will flatten the curve. Not as much as it would have had the federal government acted when it should have, but we are past that now. It will flatten it a lot better than doing nothing. Then once you force the curve down, you can create a long, low tail for the months after, and that is the best case scenario. If we go the Trump method, with a half-ass lockdown and then start opening things back up while the curve is still going up, that will cause a lot more death AND make the economic impact worse.

So, when I say let's get it over with, I mean let's do the lockdown thing right now.

Just now, NorthSideSox72 said:

Sorry, maybe I wasn't totally clear what I meant about getting it over with. Short term nation-wide lockdown will flatten the curve. Not as much as it would have had the federal government acted when it should have, but we are past that now. It will flatten it a lot better than doing nothing. Then once you force the curve down, you can create a long, low tail for the months after, and that is the best case scenario. If we go the Trump method, with a half-ass lockdown and then start opening things back up while the curve is still going up, that will cause a lot more death AND make the economic impact worse.

So, when I say let's get it over with, I mean let's do the lockdown thing right now.

My friend The Resurrection begins on Easter.

13 minutes ago, Texsox said:

Any thoughts on the best charities to give to during this crisis?

local food banks, generally they prefer cash, would probably be pretty good

there was some talk of cruise lines being bailed out earlier:

foreign-built boats, registered under foreign flags to avoid US labor and other laws, but will get a cut of that corporate welfare.

54 minutes ago, Moan4Yoan said:

Test the underprivileged and people you don’t like?  Sounds like a great plan.  That type of thinking is what led to this...

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nazi_human_experimentation

Too bad you aren't a long jumper, because this jump to conclusions would be a world record.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, StrangeSox said:

foreign-built boats, registered under foreign flags to avoid US labor and other laws, but will get a cut of that corporate welfare.

I've come around to the position that it should depend on the number of American workers first and what country they are registered in second. 

Just now, Texsox said:

I've come around to the position that it should depend on the number of American workers first and what country they are registered in second. 

Right. And "access to loans" does not mean the forgiven ones. Still talking of thousands of jobs within pretty targeted locales, dumping them off into those cities seems pointless. Just change the tax laws, don't screw over the labor.

Perhaps rescuing their business should have come with conditions regarding their future operations and treatment of labor, among other things. Or say "oh well, change your registration if you want the loans."

This is unfortunate for a variety of reasons:

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, bmags said:

Right. And "access to loans" does not mean the forgiven ones. Still talking of thousands of jobs within pretty targeted locales, dumping them off into those cities seems pointless. Just change the tax laws, don't screw over the labor.

Its funny, if we were talking about illegal immigrants getting stimulus money there would be massive outrage about money going out of the country.  These are quite literally foreign companies operating in a matter to evade our laws and regulations, so where is the outrage?

• Like 1
  • Love 1

9 minutes ago, StrangeSox said:

Perhaps rescuing their business should have come with conditions regarding their future operations and treatment of labor, among other things. Or say "oh well, change your registration if you want the loans."

This is unfortunate for a variety of reasons:

Hopefully their staff cooks can pay their rent with moral righteousness.

9 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Its funny, if we were talking about illegal immigrants getting stimulus money there would be massive outrage about money going out of the country.  These are quite literally foreign companies operating in a matter to evade our laws and regulations, so where is the outrage?

To be quite honest, the government literally shut down their business and said it cannot operate right now. That is the correct move.

So I have a hard time being indignant when we are talking about them getting access to loans from that same government so that they do not go bankrupt and shed thousands of jobs.

Again - if we have an issue with them getting US labor and access to US markets without being US company, it can be solved at a time where millions are not joining unemployment.

The loans to these companies are very likely to be paid back.

1 minute ago, bmags said:

To be quite honest, the government literally shut down their business and said it cannot operate right now. That is the correct move.

So I have a hard time being indignant when we are talking about them getting access to loans from that same government so that they do not go bankrupt and shed thousands of jobs.

Again - if we have an issue with them getting US labor and access to US markets without being US company, it can be solved at a time where millions are not joining unemployment.

The loans to these companies are very likely to be paid back.

Trust me, I get the end game.  I just think the fact that it is essentially illegal immigration being done by a corporation, and the same people who rage over it can't wait to throw cash at them.

Most of the ship is run by people of all nations. The flags of convenience allow them to operate with the "best for them" employment laws. When I was working for a "twin plant" company in Mexico we have US employees on a Mexico payroll (production primarily) and a US payroll (anyone we could say officed in the US. 

1 hour ago, StrangeSox said:

That should absolutely be part of this stimulus. They were able to restrict Trump (and WH and Congressional staff/family) from getting this money, they should also exclude any company that has dodged federal laws/taxes in the last decade. 

nearly 700 new cases in Illinois today. Hopefully this was with a huge increase in testing, but we are definitely in the exponential growth. Have to hope by next wednesday we start to see some stabilization. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, pcq said:

My friend The Resurrection begins on Easter.

Trump can talk all he wants about this but states have taken the lead and continue to do so. My guess is if the medical community is saying we're not ready by Easter, Cuomo, Pritzker, Newsom, etc. will extend the shelter-in-place orders. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, bmags said:

nearly 700 new cases in Illinois today. Hopefully this was with a huge increase in testing, but we are definitely in the exponential growth. Have to hope by next wednesday we start to see some stabilization. 

With the shelter in place order taking effect nine days ago, one would expect to see some stablization/decrease in growth over the next week or so.  Those testing positive were most likely exposed 7-14 days ago.