COVID-19/Coronavirus thread

caulfield12

Greg is like the people outside my apartment.

When the weather is nice out, usually 8-10 people gather on the stoop of my apartment building. Only live in the building. It's real fucking loud, but it's New York City, so it only gets frustrating when the cigarette smoke wafts into my apartment and their music is shaking my window at 2 AM.

We've had some good weather during the pandemic, but people have stayed in. Businesses have lines to get in, with 6-feet apart for the line outside.

Yesterday, weather is good and we have 6 people gather on the stoop for half the day. They wear gloves, but that's it. They're eating takeout on the stoop, which they then left the trash from (and I definitely wasn't going to touch it to toss it out). But when my fianceé or I had to walk our dog, we had to walk through a tightly packed group of 6 people because they didn't give a shit and can't stay indoors during a fucking lethal pandemic.

35 minutes ago, Two-Gun Pete said:

Two questions, Greg:

1. Do you have any diagnosed mental illness conditions?

2. I'm a veteran.  I havent left body parts behind on a foreign battlefield, and I havent suffered any ill long term physical or mental issues from having served. My 2nd question to you is this: What do YOU consider a reasonable degree of service/sacrifice from an average American?

Thanks, Greg. I KNOW you can find these answers, then go back to handling Greg's well-being.

I really think Greg mostly enjoys playing Devil’s advocate or contrarian...to an extreme sometimes, because it’s one way to spark a discussion or be acknowledged online.

If you say perfectly sane/reasonable/logical things all the time, nobody notices, right?

Just look at the debate over Dr. Fauci, nationwide.   He or Gov. Cuomo get called out as Dr. Doom or dark clouds for attempting to prepare for the absolute worst case scenario while hoping that doesn’t actually transpire.

It’s the essence of the current national debate.  If Trump can’t even get flyover states like KS, the Dakotas, Wyoming or Montana to go back to work sooner rather than later...well, there’s going to be quite the epic confrontation in the coming weeks.  

Perhaps Texas becomes the first real test in the reopening after Easter (April 12) as one of the biggest, most important economies in the middle (and a GOP governor).  Alabama, too.  Without Congress or the Fed to intervene...we’re looking at daily falls in the stock market back down to 16-18,000 range, but hopefully I’m wrong.  That will be instantly noticed by Trump/Mnuchin, and cause desperation to ramp the economy back up before Q4/Q1 2021 to set the tone of the daily press briefing.

It’s confusing enough with Trump trying to order even more restrictive shelter in place orders in NY, NJ and CT without informing the governors beforehand.  How to enforce?  With many police officers already out sick, around 10%, and now Rhode Island and Florida trying to track every NYC resident and quarantine them by going door to door....martial law?  National Guard and US military including re-enlisted vets occupying every major city?  If we can’t open the economy, then the natural direction is to overreact by transforming into an authoritarian strongman (“only I can solve these problems”) to project an image of being in control.  

Scott Gottlieb, MD@ScottGottliebMD

I’m worried about emerging situations in New Orleans, Dallas, Atlanta, Miami, Detroit, Chicago, Philadelphia, among others. In China no province outside Hubei ever had more than 1,500 cases. In U.S. 11 states already hit that total. Our epidemic is likely to be national in scope.

Edited by caulfield12

Unless you just stay in your home the next month or so, never go out, never order delivery, if you live in an apartment where you don’t have your own washer , never clean your clothes, it is virtually  Impossible not to expose yourself in some way,but it is the people who make no effort that piss me off. Sure, Greg shouldn’t be sitting in the park, at least at a bench. If you must, bring your own chair. But at least he is making an effort on the rest.

Well, apparently we now have to save Florida from all those infected in the Northeast...not sure if this is due to the presence of a Republican governor, Mar A Lago or the upcoming November election.   Probably all three. 

Reports on CNN of an infant under 1 year old in Illinois dying from Covid-19...not 100% confirmed.

Edited by caulfield12

23 hours ago, bmags said:

Somewhat good news, "only" 433 positive tests compared to 650 yesterday in illinois. 

465 new cases today...but incredibly scary as the first infant death reported

52 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Greg, KS Gov just issued new orders.

https://www.kansascity.com/news/coronavirus/article241587466.html

KS and MO hospitals issuing warning about lack of PPE’s/testing/beds and potentially being overwhelmed.

Money (actual bills and coins) even becomes a problem, because there was a fear here that it could carry the virus.

Almost everything went to electronic transactions...and it was already nearly there in the first place.   Paranoia about touching ATM or elevator buttons reigned supreme.

As far as I know, all physical money was taken back by Beijing and burned out of an abundance of caution.

I thought we already had this order. I assumed we did just like KC. It's basically the same as before.

31 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

Unless you just stay in your home the next month or so, never go out, never order delivery, if you live in an apartment where you don’t have your own washer , never clean your clothes, it is virtually  Impossible not to expose yourself in some way,but it is the people who make no effort that piss me off. Sure, Greg shouldn’t be sitting in the park, at least at a bench. If you must, bring your own chair. But at least he is making an effort on the rest.

Thanks Dick. As far as sitting in the park how long can corona be stuck to the surface of the table or the seat. Nobody is there when I get there; nobody is there when I leave. Why is corona potentially on the park table? Some people on here act as if I'm hanging out with people all day. I am not doing ANYTHING for gosh sakes.

3 minutes ago, greg775 said:

Thanks Dick. As far as sitting in the park how long can corona be stuck to the surface of the table or the seat. Nobody is there when I get there; nobody is there when I leave. Why is corona potentially on the park table? Some people on here act as if I'm hanging out with people all day. I am not doing ANYTHING for gosh sakes.

I don’t think they know for sure, but it still was around on hard surfaces of a cruise ship 17 days after everyone was evacuated. So probably a pretty long time.

51 minutes ago, Quin said:

Greg is like the people outside my apartment.

When the weather is nice out, usually 8-10 people gather on the stoop of my apartment building. Only live in the building. It's real fucking loud, but it's New York City, so it only gets frustrating when the cigarette smoke wafts into my apartment and their music is shaking my window at 2 AM.

We've had some good weather during the pandemic, but people have stayed in. Businesses have lines to get in, with 6-feet apart for the line outside.

Yesterday, weather is good and we have 6 people gather on the stoop for half the day. They wear gloves, but that's it. They're eating takeout on the stoop, which they then left the trash from (and I definitely wasn't going to touch it to toss it out). But when my fianceé or I had to walk our dog, we had to walk through a tightly packed group of 6 people because they didn't give a shit and can't stay indoors during a fucking lethal pandemic.

I'm nothing like those people. Except when I am in the store I am near no people and I always obey the six foot separation thing, walk the other way if I see somebody. Thanks for assuming I leave trash out. I love how now to you mental illness apparently means nothing when before, it was all about how greg didn't care about the mental health of others. now that it's me I should stay in at all times, never get to the park to stay mentally healthy. Greg's mental health doesn't mean squat. Greg throws trash around, huh? I am abiding by all the rules. Where did I go wrong in this thread?? Saying I go to the damn park where there are NO PEOPLE yet joining me?

3 minutes ago, greg775 said:

It can survive on surfaces for hours in a full dose, and up to 72 hours total. Any person who touched it in the past 3 days could have transmitted it there. Or, you could pick it up from someone you talk to, then drop it on the table, and 2 days later someone else picks it up from you.

https://www.statnews.com/2020/03/19/coronavirus-survives-on-surfaces-how-to-protect-yourself/ 

1 hour ago, Two-Gun Pete said:

Two questions, Greg:

1. Do you have any diagnosed mental illness conditions?

2. I'm a veteran.  I havent left body parts behind on a foreign battlefield, and I havent suffered any ill long term physical or mental issues from having served. My 2nd question to you is this: What do YOU consider a reasonable degree of service/sacrifice from an average American?

Thanks, Greg. I KNOW you can find these answers, then go back to handling Greg's well-being.

1. No. I'm trying to stave off problems by obeying the government and the medical experts but yet getting out a little bit. They said you could get out for exercise, just stay socially distanced.

2. My whole family is made up of veterans. Thank u for your service. Personally in answer to your question I think I am sacrificing in this. What more can I do? I'm only going outside when I need food or one drive through drink (drive throughs are legally open). I go to the park for mental health; thus far haven't seen anybody within a football field of me. I see no people. Why is it unreasonable to assume I could go mentally insane without getting out just a bit? Why am I the bad guy here??

Thanks for your service.

5 minutes ago, greg775 said:

I'm nothing like those people. Except when I am in the store I am near no people and I always obey the six foot separation thing, walk the other way if I see somebody. Thanks for assuming I leave trash out. I love how now to you mental illness apparently means nothing when before, it was all about how greg didn't care about the mental health of others. now that it's me I should stay in at all times, never get to the park to stay mentally healthy. Greg's mental health doesn't mean squat. Greg throws trash around, huh? I am abiding by all the rules. Where did I go wrong in this thread?? Saying I go to the damn park where there are NO PEOPLE yet joining me.

I didn't say you throw trash around.

The point was, they want to keep their routine in the face of a lethal pandemic.

4 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

It can survive on surfaces for hours in a full dose, and up to 72 hours total. Any person who touched it in the past 3 days could have transmitted it there. Or, you could pick it up from someone you talk to, then drop it on the table, and 2 days later someone else picks it up from you.

https://www.statnews.com/2020/03/19/coronavirus-survives-on-surfaces-how-to-protect-yourself/ 

Thank you.

My park table is wooden. I guess it's another thing to cross off my list to stay sane. Sit at a wooden park table for 3 hours.

2 minutes ago, Quin said:

I didn't say you throw trash around.

The point was, they want to keep their routine in the face of a lethal pandemic.

This is not my routine. It is bare minimum of getting outside. Pardon me for being spoiled for my whole life and now being told I cannot do anything, anything at all. If I am a problem then we are all doomed because folks I AM NOT DOING ANYTHING. I am stranded, cooped up almost all day.

Basically we are all doomed then until we order people to stay in 100 percent of the time and have people in protective suits drop off food supplies in front of our houses. Until we have forced isolation we have no chance as a society. I wouldn't discount forced quarantine 24 hours a day before this is over. That seems to be what people want. This thread is a good example. Greg is obeying the rules and thus is probably 85 to 95 percent a non risk at this time. But people are appalled at my behavior. So yes we're going to lock us all in before too much more time I predict. Food drops at our doors hopefully.

1 hour ago, Balta1701 said:

This whole “social chains getting large and complex with alarming speed” is super scary.  

the world is so lucky only 500,000 people have the virus, especially since it was flying around the world without restraint for 2-3 months.  

let’s keep up the good work 

3 hours ago, greg775 said:

Why is it unreasonable to assume I could go mentally insane without getting out just a bit? Why am I the bad guy here??

Thanks for your service.

Couple things:

When you refer to yourself in the 3rd person, you come off as a turd, an ass, and a POS.

In general, you'll get more empathy if you avoid turd-like language.

The other piece of this is that there are folks out there that ACTUALLY suffer from ACTUAL mental illnesses. Its incredibly tone-deaf and turd-like to complain about your "mental health," particularly in the 3rd person.

Lastly (and this is fucking important), you having to stay inside AINT a fucking sacrifice. It's an inconvenience. All those people working in the ER, in the ICU, the Marine out on patrol, the cop on the beat, the social worker in the shitty neighborhood, and MANY OTHERS are actually sacrificing. Not you missing out on your Panera.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Greg, it’s not really a big deal.

The last time I went outside the apartment ONCE was January 20th or 21st to play badminton.

We lost our scheduled CNY holiday trip to Shanghai before it started, and, thankfully, didn’t end up quarantined two weeks indoors there by govnt officials or forcibly locked indoors with medieval metal devices like some...God knows how they even received food, through the windows I guess.

I do it for my son and also it’s only possible because my wife goes out to shop for everyone, but that has been reduced to picking up deliveries at the front gate with goggles, mask and gloves.  Sometimes everyone in our apartment complex receives donations of vegetable and fruits like oranges and apples.

You have to read read read, watch movies and t.v. shows and do things like Legos or puzzles.  Look at it as an opportunity to learn something new, like more about the stock market or investing.  I think I’ve read 20-25 new books, something like that.  Obviously following the news, but watch different channels like BBC, CCTV 13, Fox, CGTN, BBC, MSNBC.  Lots of time with the ipad and playing with my son.  Spent weeks eating only dumplings, noodles and fried rice (just rice and eggs.)   Almost no beef, pork, shrimp or chicken until recently.   Then teaching online and trying to deal with 70-100 students in a classroom that can’t hear well due to connectivity/overcapacity issues, that has been a big change but I quite like it...except it’s not easy to teach with limited direct feedback, especially as the weather gotten increasingly nicer outside.

Edited by caulfield12
  • Like 3

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/world/article-violence-erupts-in-china-as-people-try-to-leave-coronavirus-stricken/

Here’s another way to think of it, Greg.  Imagine if the fear of people from Lawrence or KS going outside the state to Nebraska or Missouri or Oklahoma was so high THREE months into this that scenes like the above took place as you attempted to cross borders into those states.  These are migrant workers with huge debts (no checks from government or any compensation) who were forced to remain inside with their families for ten weeks and are now so desperate to go back to work.  They didn’t receive rent or credit card deferrals.  Even then, despite the national govnt signing off on it, other provinces are fearful enough you have confrontations like the ones unfolding because everyone in China still fears anyone/anything to do with Hubei.

Then, upon arriving to a factory...there’s nothing to manufacture because there’s no demand. The rest of the world is on fire and previous orders have been cancelled or delayed.  Or the company that’s previously ordered as one of your most reliable customers is now bankrupt.  Call it a double whammy, but this is reality for many here.

Edited by caulfield12

1 hour ago, pcq said:

NPR reports that some recovered patients in Wuhan are testing positive but there could be faulty testing. The mystery deepens. 

Yes, we’ve been hearing this since January...yet no substantiated formal academic study.https://www.france24.com/en/20200328-can-the-coronavirus-infect-someone-twice

https://eand.co/capitalism-is-literally-killing-america-4e05fee5ffa7

The White House backed out of a deal to manufacture ventilators because the price tag was too high. Go ahead and guess. Ready? It was…one billion dollars. Sound like a lot? Too much? For ventilators for…the entire country…in the middle of a pandemic…that’s already spiraling out of control?

Then think about this.

Jeff Bezos is worth $113 billion. Zuck, about $60 billion. Warren Buffett, about $70 billion. Are you seeing my point yet? Let me make it clearer. Either Bezos or Zuck or Buffett — or any number of penny-ante mega-billionaires — could pay for all the ventilators America needs right now, and not even blink. Not even think twice.

Take Bezos, for example. That one billion dollars to supply the country with ventilators is less than one percent of his net worth.

Edited by caulfield12

A few doors down from me a family was outdoors having beer on their front porch, with their kids playing together.

Based on their car, one of them works in a hospice facility. Our county’s first death today was someone who was in a hospice facility. 

Maybe they will be fine today, but do that a few more times and someone will die for that play date.

• Thanks 1

On 3/26/2020 at 3:40 PM, Jenksismyhero said:

So what's the running theory on why the European countries have such a higher mortality rate than the US? Stronger strain of the virus?

Since you posted this the US death toll has doubled. A thousand people died of it. In 2 days.

• Thanks 1