COVID-19/Coronavirus thread

caulfield12

2 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

This estimates our deaths will peak in 16 days at over 2300, per day.

https://covid19.healthdata.org/projections?fbclid=IwAR0DIjarzjYEh0yIhNO5FhrKxi4Z-ndQuJmOBNBJGiFy95rQg7RWFvxB7QI

I don’t know if it’s 1 or 2 sigma error bars but the error bars show 5000 a day within error.

i don’t know if we will get that high but I will say this, we are on a path to be on the high side.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Two-Gun Pete said:

Couple things:

When you refer to yourself in the 3rd person, you come off as a turd, an ass, and a POS.

In general, you'll get more empathy if you avoid turd-like language.

The other piece of this is that there are folks out there that ACTUALLY suffer from ACTUAL mental illnesses. Its incredibly tone-deaf and turd-like to complain about your "mental health," particularly in the 3rd person.

Lastly (and this is fucking important), you having to stay inside AINT a fucking sacrifice. It's an inconvenience. All those people working in the ER, in the ICU, the Marine out on patrol, the cop on the beat, the social worker in the shitty neighborhood, and MANY OTHERS are actually sacrificing. Not you missing out on your Panera.

I don't want empathy. Turd like language? WTF. I am as polite as can be always, especially for a message board. Thanks for your service. I respect the military. My uncle was a Marine; my dad in the Navy. Many cousins in the Armed Forces. I love America more than a lot of people. I'm not saying I have mental illness. I"m saying all of a sudden a lot of people don't seem to CARE about mental illness anymore. Let's face it some won't be happy til we have 24/7 lockdown with threat of arrest if you go outside and hopefully WHEN that comes they at least will let us order food/drink and somebody can dump it off on our porches. I am not the enemy, sir.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, greg775 said:

I don't want empathy. Turd like language? WTF. I am as polite as can be always, especially for a message board. Thanks for your service. I respect the military. My uncle was a Marine; my dad in the Navy. Many cousins in the Armed Forces. I love America more than a lot of people. I'm not saying I have mental illness. I"m saying all of a sudden a lot of people don't seem to CARE about mental illness anymore. Let's face it some won't be happy til we have 24/7 lockdown with threat of arrest if you go outside and hopefully WHEN that comes they at least will let us order food/drink and somebody can dump it off on our porches. I am not the enemy, sir.

A thousand people died in the last 2 days.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/world/article-violence-erupts-in-china-as-people-try-to-leave-coronavirus-stricken/

Here’s another way to think of it, Greg.  Imagine if the fear of people from Lawrence or KS going outside the state to Nebraska or Missouri or Oklahoma was so high THREE months into this that scenes like the above took place as you attempted to cross borders into those states.  These are migrant workers with huge debts (no checks from government or any compensation) who were forced to remain inside with their families for ten weeks and are now so desperate to go back to work.  They didn’t receive rent or credit card deferrals.  Even then, despite the national govnt signing off on it, other provinces are fearful enough you have confrontations like the ones unfolding because everyone in China still fears anyone/anything to do with Hubei.

Then, upon arriving to a factory...there’s nothing to manufacture because there’s no demand. The rest of the world is on fire and previous orders have been cancelled or delayed.  Or the company that’s previously ordered as one of your most reliable customers is now bankrupt.  Call it a double whammy, but this is reality for many here.

Heaven help us all. Once we are forced to stay inside with military patrolling the streets, my guess is armageddon has begun.

25 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

I don’t know if it’s 1 or 2 sigma error bars but the error bars show 5000 a day within error.

i don’t know if we will get that high but I will say this, we are on a path to be on the high side.

So many deaths could have been prevented.

5 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

A thousand people died in the last 2 days.

What do you want me to say? I feel terrible. My guess is this can't or won't be slowed and it has nothing to do with people like me who "escape" outside for 3 hours a day. I just read an article about "coronavirus parties." There are a lot of age groups outside of my own who have "real" violators of common decency here. If me leaving a couple hours a day and risking touching a table once every 2 or 3 days is wrecking the world, I apologize. I truly do not think greg is the devil here, but if I am, I truly apologize. This is not easy for those who stay inside 24 hours and it's not easy for those of us who stay inside aboug 20 to 21 hours a day.

3 minutes ago, greg775 said:

Heaven help us all. Once we are forced to stay inside with military patrolling the streets, my guess is armageddon has begun.

If you have travelled around the world, that is the everyday situation in many 2nd/3rd world or developing countries.

Kind of makes you appreciate what we for decades haven taken for granted as the “American way of life,” at least up until now.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Quin said:

So many deaths could have been prevented.

UK is also learning this the hard way with so many government officials, royal family, etc., now getting sick everyday.

Hubris.  Thinking your instincts or gut are better indicators than scientific evidence.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/28/opinions/stimulus-bill-tax-break-for-1-mccaffery/index.html

Under the new change, our rich taxpayer couple -- and this applies only for individuals, not corporations -- can now deduct an unlimited amount of "excess losses" in real estate against income from other sources. So now real estate moguls with lucrative day jobs or bountiful capital gains from other investments can go back to living tax-free, the Kushner way, before limits were put in place as part of the 2017 tax reform bill. 

It gets worse, if that's possible. The change applies to this year -- and retroactively to 2019 and 2018. This means rich people can file amended returns now, and get refunds of perhaps millions of dollars, sooner than we can produce the number of ventilators we might need for the coronavirus crisis.

Let's pause for a moment to review: The new relief provision only benefits those who can list more than $500,000 in excess business losses -- typically artificial losses from depreciation that have more than wiped out their business income on paper -- AND more than $500,000 in other income from wages or other sources now that the cap on the tax break has been removed. Pity such people in a time of pandemic? Congress did.

Edited by caulfield12
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, greg775 said:

What do you want me to say? I feel terrible. My guess is this can't or won't be slowed and it has nothing to do with people like me who "escape" outside for 3 hours a day. I just read an article about "coronavirus parties." There are a lot of age groups outside of my own who have "real" violators of common decency here. If me leaving a couple hours a day and risking touching a table once every 2 or 3 days is wrecking the world, I apologize. I truly do not think greg is the devil here, but if I am, I truly apologize. This is not easy for those who stay inside 24 hours and it's not easy for those of us who stay inside aboug 20 to 21 hours a day.

Bullshit.

act like an adult before you blame others people are dying. We told all of you what to do and you screamed “but Panera bread” and now there’s 2000 dead bodies.

go tell your excuses to the dead Americans maybe they will listen.

• Love 3

9 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Bullshit.

act like an adult before you blame others people are dying. We told all of you what to do and you screamed “but Panera bread” and now there’s 2000 dead bodies.

This is pretty out of line.  I get people are on edge but that type of attack doesnt help.

If this is the beginning, if things are only going to get worse, then we have to remain lights for eachother. 

When you stare into the abyss the abyss stares back into you.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Soxbadger said:

This is pretty out of line.  I get people are on edge but that type of attack doesnt help.

If this is the beginning, if things are only going to get worse, then we have to remain lights for eachother. 

When you stare into the abyss the abyss stares back into you.

In a couple weeks as the bodies pile up and as jokes stop seeming funny, we are going to look back at everyone who broke the rules and remember it. 

Every American is going to lose someone. Maybe your family, maybe your coworker, maybe your neighbor. We will all know someone killed by our own carelessness. Picture someone who means everything to you. Picture them being the one you lose because someone couldn’t follow a rule.

No. More. Excuses. This is life and death. Act like it.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Bullshit.

I'm done with this thread. You got your way. You hate me. I'm silenced. Fine. Maybe someday I can be perfect or abide by everything you abide by and believe every single thing you believe in. I'm out of this thread. p.s. if it makes anybody feel better blame me for most of the problems regarding corona in this part of the country.

Edited by greg775
  • Haha 1

Just now, Balta1701 said:

In a couple weeks as the bodies pile up and as jokes stop seeming funny, we are going to look back at everyone who broke the rules and remember it. 

Every American is going to lose someone. Maybe your family, maybe your coworker, maybe your neighbor. We will all know someone killed by our own carelessness.

No. More. Excuses. This is life and death. Act like it.

To the best of my knowledge Greg hasnt broken any rules.

You cant let the darkest times be an excuse to forget who we are. There are plenty of people with way more responsibility and blame then Greg.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Bullshit.

This is ridiculous.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, greg775 said:

I'm done with this thread. You got your way. You hate me. I'm silenced. Fine. Maybe someday I can be perfect or abide by everything you abide by and believe every single thing you believe in. I'm out of this thread.

Do your best man, thats all anyone can ask. Dark times bring out the darkness in even the best people.

But no matter how bleak it may get, we each need to try and shine as bright as we can. Now more than ever, because darkness is easy.

3 minutes ago, Soxbadger said:

To the best of my knowledge Greg hasnt broken any rules.

You cant let the darkest times be an excuse to forget who we are. There are plenty of people with way more responsibility and blame then Greg.

Stop Touching Things out in public stop being an obvious transmission vector. PLEASE.

1 minute ago, Balta1701 said:

Stop Touching Things out in public stop being an obvious transmission vector. PLEASE.

There is no rule you cant touch things in public. You are making authoritative statements and acting like they are facts.

You want to convice people of your position, you want to make a difference, treat the worst of us with compassion and understanding. 

You act like this is something any of us have ever experienced.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Soxbadger said:

There is no rule you cant touch things in public. You are making authoritative statements and acting like they are facts.

You want to convice people of your position, you want to make a difference, treat the worst of us with compassion and understanding. 

You act like this is something any of us have ever experienced.

People are dying. 

I don’t imagine wooden picnic tables in the park will be anyone’s undoing.

Touching your face/eyes, then others...any surface in bathrooms, anything metal on the subway or L, coughing or sneezing without protecting those around you, repetitive hand washing with soap.

We’re months into this and there’s still a raging debate about the efficacy of various masks...whether they only help prevent spread but are unlikely to stop you from getting sick when in proximity to someone else.

It’s like safe sex, the only method guaranteed is abstinence.  The only surefire way is to stay inside 100% of the time.

But that’s just not practical in America.  There’s not a practical delivery/logistics system to get food out to every house like here where you have 1.4 billion people and hundred thousands willing to drive mopeds/scooters around and earn $0.75-1.50 prr delivery with no tipping allowed.  Completely different cultures, and levels of obedience/freedom/individual rights.

We don’t allow any guns here, only police in military.  A court in CA is going to be exposed to danger adjudicating the NRA gun shops as essential services, or OK and other states whether abortion services can be curtailed during a national emergency.  No such issues here.  No guns.  Abortions always available due to family planning policies in place since the 70’s, not that any woman would want to deal with such a situation where she would have a decent probability of getting sick just going to wait in line at the hospital.

5 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

People are dying. 

I swear this is the exact same type of argument people use to argue for walls around our country and many other things I abhor.

You want to call everyone who has gone outside in the last 2 weeks a murderer thats your choice.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

People are dying. 

This is where the “what about” automobile deaths argument comes in, what about the common flu, deaths due to assault guns or pesticides or eating too much junk food/obesity or climate change...why is this life and death when those other issues are never addressed by Congress like they are also clear and present dangers?  

We can’t agree that it is a problem when 25-30% of Americans don’t have health insurance or are underinsured?  After that, well, another large percentage believes illegal immigrants paying taxes should get no assistance, no govnt checks and no COVID tests even if they might be endangering the rest of the country.  What about homeless people?  People in prisons?  The virus is tearing right through these two groups right now with no end in sight. 

What extremes are we willing to go to when there’s no public consensus on anything?  Even when there is, let’s say on limits to assault weapons, we still have no choice but the status quo or what, violent revolution against the govnt?

In the end, we have to deal with the macro picture here at this stage...testing testing testing....innovating to develop creative solutions on the beds and respirator/ventilators, such as splitting to double existing capacity, innovating innovating innovating to find a vaccine ASAP.  The rest is just noise, politicians, statistics. 

Or we can create a Chinese system for turning on your neighbors, getting rewarded financially for turning those who are sick or not following the rules into the police.  Turn yourself in, get money.  We can round up anyone with a NY license plate and imprison them, too.  But is that really the United States anymore?

Edited by caulfield12
  • Love 1