COVID-19/Coronavirus thread

caulfield12

https://nymag.com/intelligencer/2020/03/trump-blames-hospitals-for-coronavirus-mask-shortages.html

https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/29/us/maine-coronavirus-forced-quarantine-trnd/index.html

CNN)A Maine man said armed neighbors descended on his home and chopped down a tree to block his road and prevent him from leaving because they believed he may have coronavirus.

The Vinalhaven resident said he went outside Friday to check why his cable service wasn't working and found a tree blocking the end of his road, according to the Knox County Sheriff's Office.

"While investigating the downed tree, a neighbor started yelling at him and a group of people showed up and began to gather around. Believing the group may be there to harm him, (he) fled to his residence and told his roommates what he had found," the sheriff's office said on Facebook.

Edited by caulfield12

9 hours ago, bmags said:

much appreciated information here.

For people that didn’t dig one thing in here was pritzker asked Abbott for home state preference which they said they’d oblige.

• Like 2

I'm starting to lose my mind.  Physical health is out the window.  I've pretty much quit drinking but I've picked up a horrible carb habit  I'm eating a lot of pizza and haven't been able to workout like I want in weeks  Just can't replicate the gym's equipment.

Closed my business last week for the time being.  Might have to use the money I had saved to pay taxes to pay rent in June or July if this shit lingers but whatever, worry about that when it and if it comes.

Really hoping baseball can start in June.  If not, man, it's going to just be a horribly slow and shitty summer.

edit: and to add, the weather here has been absolute trash.  40s and rain.  Seattle "springs" are usually hit or miss.  Looks like this year will be another miss. Haven't really had a nice one since 2018.  Last year and this year very poor although this year can still turn around.

Edited by chitownsportsfan
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

I just found out our doorman who got the virus died. He was in his 40s.

One of the sobering predictions is that every person in America will die or know someone who dies. 

21 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

I'm starting to lose my mind.  Physical health is out the window.  I've pretty much quit drinking but I've picked up a horrible carb habit  I'm eating a lot of pizza and haven't been able to workout like I want in weeks  Just can't replicate the gym's equipment.

Not sure if you have ever heard or tried them, but I have recently been doing workout from the p90x and insanity series.  (They each have shortened workouts (p90x30 and t25) that are a half hour and 25 minutes respectively, short, but great workouts.) and for the most part require very little equipment.  Really free weights or resistance bands are the only things, and even if you don't have those, you can avoid those certain workouts and still get some great exercise.  It may not be perfect, but they are darn good.  And I have to say, they push you a little and I have gotten better results than I ever did going to the gym.  It may be something to look into.  

1 minute ago, turnin' two said:

Not sure if you have ever heard or tried them, but I have recently been doing workout from the p90x and insanity series.  (They each have shortened workouts (p90x30 and t25) that are a half hour and 25 minutes respectively, short, but great workouts.) and for the most part require very little equipment.  Really free weights or resistance bands are the only things, and even if you don't have those, you can avoid those certain workouts and still get some great exercise.  It may not be perfect, but they are darn good.  And I have to say, they push you a little and I have gotten better results than I ever did going to the gym.  It may be something to look into.  

YEah and beach body has a 3 month free trial right now I believe. 

1 hour ago, chitownsportsfan said:

Closed my business last week for the time being.  Might have to use the money I had saved to pay taxes to pay rent in June or July if this shit lingers but whatever, worry about that when it and if it comes.

Really hoping baseball can start in June.  If not, man, it's going to just be a horribly slow and shitty summer.

edit: and to add, the weather here has been absolute trash.  40s and rain.  Seattle "springs" are usually hit or miss.  Looks like this year will be another miss. Haven't really had a nice one since 2018.  Last year and this year very poor although this year can still turn around.

It's getting increasingly difficult to get out of bed. 

I had spent the last few months getting myself in pretty good shape and training to run a marathon and now it's just....nothing.

Bright side, good a year as any to have a shitty spring. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, mqr said:

It's getting increasingly difficult to get out of bed. 

I had spent the last few months getting myself in pretty good shape and training to run a marathon and now it's just....nothing.

Bright side, good a year as any to have a shitty spring. 

Just be careful it's not the onset of depression or generalized anxiety disorders. That stuff can snowball fast but medication can take a bit to kick in.

edit: I don't mean to be armchair physician, but I have one myself so just try to help others if that's what it is. Good luck.

• Like 1

I just had the Lightfoot press conference on CPS move to remote schooling starting next week. I have to admit I am impressed at the speed they were able to gather the resources to pull that off and create curriculum during that time.

I am so sympathetic to kids with special needs losing access to their teachers, and the parents during this time. 

16 minutes ago, bmags said:

I just had the Lightfoot press conference on CPS move to remote schooling starting next week. I have to admit I am impressed at the speed they were able to gather the resources to pull that off and create curriculum during that time.

I am so sympathetic to kids with special needs losing access to their teachers, and the parents during this time. 

This is teh 3rd week we have been doing it in Indiana.

5 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

This is teh 3rd week we have been doing it in Indiana.

Yes indiana has been more accepting of e-learning days statewide, but CPS has not had that history and is a gigantic school district with many kids without access to a device/internet. They are distributing 100k devices and working with comcast to get wifi hotspot access to all of them. That's a lot to figure out in 2 weeks.

2 minutes ago, bmags said:

Yes indiana has been more accepting of e-learning days statewide, but CPS has not had that history and is a gigantic school district with many kids without access to a device/internet. They are distributing 100k devices and working with comcast to get wifi hotspot access to all of them. That's a lot to figure out in 2 weeks.

We actually did it about two years ago as a way of not having to worry about the crazy amount of snow days we get.  Our demographics mean they have similar problems with internet access for a fair amount of kids.  They started giving kids chromebooks a couple of years ago for this eventuality.  They have even put school buses with WIFI into neighborhoods to try to create hotspots for some of the kids who need them.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, turnin' two said:

T25 got me into the best shape of my life. You're not going to bulk up doing bodyweight stuff, but you can stay fit and stay strong.

I started doing this one last week, which kicked my butt

4 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

We actually did it about two years ago as a way of not having to worry about the crazy amount of snow days we get.  Our demographics mean they have similar problems with internet access for a fair amount of kids.  They started giving kids chromebooks a couple of years ago for this eventuality.  They have even put school buses with WIFI into neighborhoods to try to create hotspots for some of the kids who need them.

It was only rolled out to three districts in Illinois though many more districts have done same requiring chrome books and have been doing e-learning since closure.

I'll stick to my promise and not comment any more in this thread as I am a man of my word but I'd like to take a survey just for my own enjoyment, thank u.

Do you enjoy reading Greg's takes in this thread or other threads?

Or should I make a wholehearted effort to post less in all threads because you do not like my posts.

Thank u very much.

Just now, bmags said:

It was only rolled out to three districts in Illinois though many more districts have done same requiring chrome books and have been doing e-learning since closure.

The big picture craziness is that in the trading world every single firm is required to have a stringent Business Continuity Plan, for how to deal with a load of different situations where you don't have access to your normal office site for one reason or another.  They have plans for hacks, electrical outages, pandemics, natural disaster, etc.

In education?  Nothing.  It amazed me how much go figured out on the fly as the school systems realized this was going to be huge.

8 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

2 minutes ago, bmags said:

Oswego 308 is starting this Wednesday though it's still not clear what the teachers are supposed to be doing. Going to be fun trying to juggle my wfh with my wife's wfh teaching with a 10 mo and 2.5 yo!

1 minute ago, southsider2k5 said:

The big picture craziness is that in the trading world every single firm is required to have a stringent Business Continuity Plan, for how to deal with a load of different situations where you don't have access to your normal office site for one reason or another.  They have plans for hacks, electrical outages, pandemics, natural disaster, etc.

In education?  Nothing.  It amazed me how much go figured out on the fly as the school systems realized this was going to be huge.

Absolutely. I think what caught them, libraries and houses of worship (which certainly around us pivoted faster to change operations around their food banks), is their planning is always how to stay open since they are safe havens. There were very few plans for what it means to stay closed for more than a week.

1 minute ago, StrangeSox said:

Oswego 308 is starting this Wednesday though it's still not clear what the teachers are supposed to be doing. Going to be fun trying to juggle my wfh with my wife's wfh teaching with a 10 mo and 2.5 yo!

I've been doing it with a 3 yo and 1.5 month old. I basically work from 4-630 AM, then nap time from 12-3, and am largely useless except I can participate listening in on meetings around those times.

1 minute ago, bmags said:

Absolutely. I think what caught them, libraries and houses of worship (which certainly around us pivoted faster to change operations around their food banks), is their planning is always how to stay open since they are safe havens. There were very few plans for what it means to stay closed for more than a week.

yeah, I think our school district was lucky we are in the lake effect snow belt, so we have to have plans for not being in school for up to a week at a time in general.  This incident is pushing the limits though.