COVID-19/Coronavirus thread

caulfield12

3 minutes ago, StrangeSox said:

Oswego 308 is starting this Wednesday though it's still not clear what the teachers are supposed to be doing. Going to be fun trying to juggle my wfh with my wife's wfh teaching with a 10 mo and 2.5 yo!

This is one time it is really nice to have a 12 and 14 year old around as the wife is literally teaching classes from home, and I am doing involved conference calls.  They get it better than the little ones do, and make adjustments on the fly.  LIttle kids can't do that.

1 minute ago, mqr said:

This seems like a really bad idea without having any real idea how long immunity lasts. 

Not sure how much the tests cost but couldn’t we require bi-weekly or monthly tests to renew one’s certificate? Until a vaccine is available at least. 

Just now, southsider2k5 said:

or that mutatinon is happening at some unknown pace.

I think it's fine for Germany, their testing is much more robust than US. 

US in the coming months should hopefully be able to ramp up the Abbott test to the point we have tests available for asymptomatic people. 

But regardless, if you did have COVID-19, please give plasma.

3 minutes ago, bmags said:

US in the coming months should hopefully be able to ramp up the Abbott test to the point we have tests available for asymptomatic people. 

Good point and yet another reason why antibody testing would be so very useful. Many of us are speculating we already had it without the means to actually confirm this suspicion.

2 hours ago, Texsox said:

One of the sobering predictions is that every person in America will die or know someone who dies. 

One of my co-workers (who I did not personally know) passed away from this. Several people have been diagnosed, fortunately well after the work from home orders were issued.

55 minutes ago, bmags said:

Yes indiana has been more accepting of e-learning days statewide, but CPS has not had that history and is a gigantic school district with many kids without access to a device/internet. They are distributing 100k devices and working with comcast to get wifi hotspot access to all of them. That's a lot to figure out in 2 weeks.

We are one of several school districts in San Antonio (7th biggest city in the US - largest school district)in two weeks we have deployed over 26,000 devices and counting. My district curriculum and instruction team has already sent me the next two weeks of high quality lessons to use, abuse, ignore. We're still working out grading and the amount of work expected. We're learning every day and improving the delivery. We've also handed out more than 250,000 meals. 

34 minutes ago, bmags said:

Is the Abbott thing still a "hopeful" thing or confirmed working and just need to ramp up produciton/distribution?

1 minute ago, turnin' two said:

Anyone else doubt China only had 80k some cases of this?  Not sure I trust their numbers.

I don't believe it for a second, but it also doesn't really matter at this point.  The US didn't take it seriously, and now we are knee deep in it.  You would think they could have trusted their pandemic response team, oh wait.

We won't know the true extent of this globally or in specific countries until there are retrospective studies a few years down the road. "Oh, huh, 'Cardiac arrest' events were 50% higher in 2020 than 2019 or 2021" type analysis. We don't have reason to believe that anyone has a really good, accurate handle on how many cases or even how many COVID-caused deaths we have.

smh at this:

7 minutes ago, StrangeSox said:

We won't know the true extent of this globally or in specific countries until there are retrospective studies a few years down the road. "Oh, huh, 'Cardiac arrest' events were 50% higher in 2020 than 2019 or 2021" type analysis. We don't have reason to believe that anyone has a really good, accurate handle on how many cases or even how many COVID-caused deaths we have.

smh at this:

ugh, my nurse/doctor neighbors were excited when this shipment came in thinking they'd be rationed less. They've been saving masks in bags then reusing them after 3 days when the virus would have died off.

7 minutes ago, Texsox said:

Anyone feel a moral obligation to spend the CARES checks to stimulate the economy? 

It's going right to rent. 

But I have been trying to send money that I would have spent at bars and on ubers and the like to businesses that have had to close their doors and employee relief funds where I can. 

Edited by mqr
  • Like 1

Definitely going to GCFD and we are going to be eating out like every night and dumping our kids off at the grandparents who have only missed them for 2 weeks but they feel like it's months.

48 minutes ago, mqr said:

It's going right to rent. 

But I have been trying to send money that I would have spent at bars and on ubers and the like to businesses that have had to close their doors and employee relief funds where I can. 

What are your favorites if you don't mind me asking?

3 hours ago, mqr said:

It's getting increasingly difficult to get out of bed. 

I had spent the last few months getting myself in pretty good shape and training to run a marathon and now it's just....nothing.

Bright side, good a year as any to have a shitty spring. 

I'm with you on the disappointment of putting work in for a race and having it feel wasted.  But hey, the fitness is there, keep it going and now you can run an even faster marathon in the fall!  Once my spring race got cancelled I decided to focus on 5k speed so that when I do marathon training in the fall I will be faster than I would have otherwise.