COVID-19/Coronavirus thread

caulfield12

2 hours ago, Texsox said:

Anyone feel a moral obligation to spend the CARES checks to stimulate the economy? 

When are they supposed to be mailed? A CNN article guesses at 3-4 weeks but in history these types of things have taken up to 3 months.

Edited by soxfan49

1 hour ago, soxfan49 said:

When are they supposed to be mailed? A CNN article guesses at 3-4 weeks but in history these types of things have taken up to 3 months.

If you direct deposited your tax return it will be way quicker,  but no one really knows yet.

6 hours ago, Texsox said:

Anyone feel a moral obligation to spend the CARES checks to stimulate the economy? 

Yes, but I’m not sure what makes the most sense. My friend at work is giving his to a general manager at his favorite bar so it can be dispersed to the wait staff.

17 minutes ago, Yearnin' for Yermin said:

She has been doing that for years and years.

This is not news.

Anymore so than going to caves near Lake Victoria, southern Sudan and the Congo will inform us about Ebola and Marburg TODAY.   What do you suggest, killing all bats in the world...and closing caves?  What about all the insects they eat, and the resulting imbalance in nature that will create?   China has more than it’s fair share of blame, no matter how much PPE they donate/loan/sell to Europe.

There’s been a 96% genetic sequencing match, but still not 100%.  Until this day they don’t know the secondary transmitter, although it’s still suspected to be pangolins by most scientific experts.

It has nothing to do with virology labs, mysterious government bacterial warfare programs, etc.

Even C-SPAN listeners were getting into the act, asserting it was deliberated released in China to eventually penetrate the US and wipe out older Republican Trump voters, clearing the way for a return of globalization/neoliberalism under Biden, with open borders, free trade agreements and all guns confiscated from the populace.    

Sigh.

Edited by caulfield12

On 1/25/2020 at 11:42 PM, Eloy Jiménez said:

I'm about as worried about this as I am worried about SARS.

The fact is, the flu is what Americans should be worried about and yet they decide foolishly not to vaccinate for it.

This aged well. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, caulfield12 said:

This is not news.

Anymore so than going to caves near Lake Victoria, southern Sudan and the Congo will inform us about Ebola and Marburg TODAY.   What do you suggest, killing all bats in the world...and closing caves?  What about all the insects they eat, and the resulting imbalance in nature that will create?   China has more than it’s fair share of blame, no matter how much PPE they donate/loan/sell to Europe.

There’s been a 96% genetic sequencing match, but still not 100%.  Until this day they don’t know the secondary transmitter, although it’s still suspected to be pangolins by most scientific experts.

It has nothing to do with virology labs, mysterious government bacterial warfare programs, etc.

Even C-SPAN listeners were getting into the act, asserting it was deliberated released in China to eventually penetrate the US and wipe out older Republican Trump voters, clearing the way for a return of globalization/neoliberalism under Biden, with open borders, free trade agreements and all guns confiscated from the populace.    

Sigh.

This message is brought to you by Xi Jingpin and the CCP

1 hour ago, Yearnin' for Yermin said:

This message is brought to you by Xi Jingpin and the CCP

Follow the science.  Whether the Spanish Flu or MERS or Ebola/Marburg or Swine Flu, there’s a logical reason.

The Chinese government tried to kill their own people to create plausible deniability, then successfully forecasted Trump would somehow botch it up?   That’s quite the crystal ball.  

There was one Chinese woman on the island of Palau five years ago making a Youtube video about bat soup, and somehow 1.5 billion are now bat soup connoisseurs.

I guess if it helps you to sleep at night, we can all believe whatever provides us comfort and reassurance. 

Edited by caulfield12
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

This is not news.

Sigh.

I don’t know about your conspiracy theory accusations but a lot of contagious infections seem to originate or persist in China regardless.

Edited by Moan4Yoan

1 hour ago, mqr said:

Is it really?

In order to buy the idiotic conspiracy theory that some are trying to sell, you would have to buy the idea that the United States would have botched the response and ended up as bad as it has.  If you would have theorized that the US would respond perfectly and minimize both the impact and the spread of this, the theory doesn't work.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

In order to buy the idiotic conspiracy theory that some are trying to sell, you would have to buy the idea that the United States would have botched the response and ended up as bad as it has.  If you would have theorized that the US would respond perfectly and minimize both the impact and the spread of this, the theory doesn't work.

It was a nice dig at Trump. Although possibly unintentional. 

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

I don't know what is more insane. 7-11 still selling Big Gulps, or people still buying them. I would think there's as good of a shot of Covid 19 being on that Coke button as there is anywhere else.

Jeez, may as well grab a salad from a public salad bar first and then wash it down with the Big Gulp.

1 hour ago, Dick Allen said:

I don't know what is more insane. 7-11 still selling Big Gulps, or people still buying them. I would think there's as good of a shot of Covid 19 being on that Coke button as there is anywhere else.

Yeah self-serve should really not be allowed right now. I'm assuming their coffee is also soft serve?

3 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

This and the cook county jail story are sobering.

It's hard because the more urgent thing right now is building up hospital capacity, but at the same time we have to build up areas for self-quarantining away from family.

3 minutes ago, bmags said:

It's hard because the more urgent thing right now is building up hospital capacity, but at the same time we have to build up areas for self-quarantining away from family.

If only we had an  agency that was tasked with planning for these eventualities at the federal level.

• Like 1

CNN’s Chris Cuomo has the virus.

His brother’s doing so well with this now, he might be traveling westward across the country as it moves, bringing experts and an army of medical volunteers and ventilators with him.

I think if I was with the Biden campaign I’d think long and hard about tying into these efforts, because he’s becoming more and more irrelevant by the day.  Of course, he can just wait this out for 2-3 months and suddenly reappear on the scene, but he’s got to prove his mettle here somehow.  Just criticizing Trump decisions or unpreparedness doesn’t do it anymore.  They need to be presenting solutions from the top of their campaign, like Ron Klain.   It’s a delicate balance because of his age, but his endurance/stamina and mental acuity have come under assault, and remaining in a Delaware bunker for months isn’t going to cut it.