COVID-19/Coronavirus thread

caulfield12

23 hours ago, turnin' two said:

Not sure if you have ever heard or tried them, but I have recently been doing workout from the p90x and insanity series.  (They each have shortened workouts (p90x30 and t25) that are a half hour and 25 minutes respectively, short, but great workouts.) and for the most part require very little equipment.  Really free weights or resistance bands are the only things, and even if you don't have those, you can avoid those certain workouts and still get some great exercise.  It may not be perfect, but they are darn good.  And I have to say, they push you a little and I have gotten better results than I ever did going to the gym.  It may be something to look into.  

For me personally it's all about getting in the mindset of doing an insane 45-80 minute HIIT workout with supersets, plyos, some steady state cardio mixed in and doing my three day split of back/shoulders chest/arms  legs/core.

I just can't replicate that instensity at home, I never have been able to I'm just one of those guys that needs to be "at the gym" in order to workout to my potential.

I've been jogging, doing some sprint work and body weight stuff outside but it's just not the same.

Thanks for the advice though I"m def going to have to get some workout bands to at least maintain my strength.

1 hour ago, caulfield12 said:

CNN’s Chris Cuomo has the virus.

His brother’s doing so well with this now, he might be traveling westward across the country as it moves, bringing experts and an army of medical volunteers and ventilators with him.

I think if I was with the Biden campaign I’d think long and hard about tying into these efforts, because he’s becoming more and more irrelevant by the day.  Of course, he can just wait this out for 2-3 months and suddenly reappear on the scene, but he’s got to prove his mettle here somehow.  Just criticizing Trump decisions or unpreparedness doesn’t do it anymore.  They need to be presenting solutions from the top of their campaign, like Ron Klain.   It’s a delicate balance because of his age, but his endurance/stamina and mental acuity have come under assault, and remaining in a Delaware bunker for months isn’t going to cut it.

Dude they gotta pull the plug on this Biden thing.  This is like Sharon Stone doing that other basic instinct when she was 50.  

At first you’re like:

“No! That’s a terrible idea.  They’ll never make that movie!”

Then:

”Wait, they’re actually gonna do that?  C’mon they can’t possibly think people are gonna go for that.”

Followed by a brief moment of:

”Well...that first one was pretty cool.  Maybe I’ll check it out...”

And then:

”Nahh I’ll just Google the titty parts.”

And finally: 

“Well let’s see what we got here.  Let’s see what those titties look lik...oh God!  They’re terrible.  Those same fake orbs but old AF!  WTF do they take me for?! They spent 50 million hoping to make 100 million on old Tits?”

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, caulfield12 said:

CNN’s Chris Cuomo has the virus.

His brother’s doing so well with this now, he might be traveling westward across the country as it moves, bringing experts and an army of medical volunteers and ventilators with him.

I think if I was with the Biden campaign I’d think long and hard about tying into these efforts, because he’s becoming more and more irrelevant by the day.  Of course, he can just wait this out for 2-3 months and suddenly reappear on the scene, but he’s got to prove his mettle here somehow.  Just criticizing Trump decisions or unpreparedness doesn’t do it anymore.  They need to be presenting solutions from the top of their campaign, like Ron Klain.   It’s a delicate balance because of his age, but his endurance/stamina and mental acuity have come under assault, and remaining in a Delaware bunker for months isn’t going to cut it.

What do you propose Biden does though? I’ve read that Trump has $225 million cash in hand and Biden only has $20 million. Where is Bloomberg when you need him? He should be the equalizer in this whole thing. Maybe he has a strategy after the convention.

20 minutes ago, StrangeSox said:

Hospitals are also considering reducing staffing because census counts are down. Seems like a bad idea to me!

Both of these things are bad ideas. Help workers instead of reducing staff. Worry about profits later.

5 minutes ago, Jerksticks said:

Dude they gotta pull the plug on this Biden thing.  This is like Sharon Stone doing that other basic instinct when she was 50.  

At first you’re like:

“No! That’s a terrible idea.  They’ll never make that movie!”

Then:

”Wait, they’re actually gonna do that?  C’mon they can’t possibly think people are gonna go for that.”

Followed by a brief moment of:

”Well...that first one was pretty cool.  Maybe I’ll check it out...”

And then:

”Nahh I’ll just Google the titty parts.”

And finally: 

“Well let’s see what we got here.  Let’s see what those titties look lik...oh God!  They’re terrible.  Those same fake orbs but old AF!  WTF do they take me for?! They spent 50 million hoping to make 100 million on old Tits?”

What do you propose they do with Biden then?

12 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

Follow the science.  Whether the Spanish Flu or MERS or Ebola/Marburg or Swine Flu, there’s a logical reason.

The Chinese government tried to kill their own people to create plausible deniability, then successfully forecasted Trump would somehow botch it up?   That’s quite the crystal ball.  

There was one Chinese woman on the island of Palau five years ago making a Youtube video about bat soup, and somehow 1.5 billion are now bat soup connoisseurs.

I guess if it helps you to sleep at night, we can all believe whatever provides us comfort and reassurance. 

Honestly, I wouldn’t even waste your time responding to trolls/conspiracy theorists, especially given what you’ve been through and the great info you’ve been providing us. People like that will believe what they want to believe no matter what anyone else can say, unfortunately

The idea that the Chinese intentionally created the virus, to kill a bunch of their people and then watch the world struggle with it after, is so preposterous on it's face that it's on par with believing the world is flat.

That doesn't mean that anyone trusts the info from China, of course. There is plenty of reason to believe the number of cases and deaths in China is not accurate - some causes being intentional and some not.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, bmags said:

Good news: there were 10k tests recorded yesterday

Better late than never I guess.

Also, I wish I still worked at Abbott, shit has gotta be fascinating up there. 

Edited by mqr

19 minutes ago, bmags said:

good news bad news. 

Bad news, again almost 1000 new cases, 4 day average has us about 700 per day.

Good news: there were 10k tests recorded yesterday

And Illinois now extends it's lockdown to April 30th (not really a surprise).

41 minutes ago, NorthSideSox72 said:

And Illinois now extends it's lockdown to April 30th (not really a surprise).

I can't believe Indiana was actually ahead of Illinois.  Holcomb just seems to wait for IL and MI to do something, and then follows a couple of days later.

2 hours ago, NorthSideSox72 said:

The idea that the Chinese intentionally created the virus, to kill a bunch of their people and then watch the world struggle with it after, is so preposterous on it's face that it's on par with believing the world is flat.

That doesn't mean that anyone trusts the info from China, of course. There is plenty of reason to believe the number of cases and deaths in China is not accurate - some causes being intentional and some not.

The whole idea is absurd.  I mean if China really wanted to sabatoge the West, why wouldn't they plant an illness IN THE WEST!?!?!?! 

The idea that they started an illness in their own country, shutdown their own economy, and then waited for it to go out west so that they could shutdown their economies and in response stop buying from places like China, therefore getting economically slammed, not once, but twice, is so mindboggling shortsighted, it is almost incomprehensible for it to even be considered.

Here comes another task force meeting/campaign rally/expressions of appreciation from everyone who gets to speak other than Dr. Fauci.

We’ve passed 9/11, Pearl Harbor and the Titanic.

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/03/31/politics/red-states-blue-cities-coronavirus/index.html
Just not sure how the mayors and governors and Federal government can possibly find a way to resolve these simmering disputes unless the push comes from the President to overrule 5 GOP governors (five already going against admin and making their own decisions.)

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/03/31/us/coronavirus-vaccine-timetable-concerns-experts-invs/index.html Scientific community starts pushing back on 12-18 month timeframe for vaccine.

Edited by caulfield12

28 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

The whole idea is absurd.  I mean if China really wanted to sabatoge the West, why wouldn't they plant an illness IN THE WEST!?!?!?! 

The idea that they started an illness in their own country, shutdown their own economy, and then waited for it to go out west so that they could shutdown their economies and in response stop buying from places like China, therefore getting economically slammed, not once, but twice, is so mindboggling shortsighted, it is almost incomprehensible for it to even be considered.

They would use coordinated cyberwarfare to confuse coordination efforts, sabotaging the food and/or water supply with the virus and attempting to sabotage the power grid/internet and cell connectivity.

Of course, were they to get caught red-handed...they’d end up in pariah state status, lose trade agreements, military partnerships and undo all the money/loans spent over the past 5-6 years on the various Belt & Road Initiatives. 
Why risk all that when many strategists inside China believe America is heading in the direction of eventually falling apart on its own?    We still can’t figure out whether to conserve masks or not.  In the case of Asians, many feel safer...regardless of the optics, it provides a sense of reassurance.  My wife was on the Wuhan subway the last two days...someone sneezed a couple of times and everyone emptied the car in both directions attempting to get away.

We just bumped up the definition of “success” with Covid-19 to up to 200-240,000 deaths (on the upper end) even with active mitigation/suppression.  

NY and NJ are definitely the outliers, so far, but showing all the data aggregated like this isn’t capturing how many are a week away from exploding into new clusters.   Like New Orleans, Detroit, Chicago, Atlanta, Miami, etc.

”No magic vaccines or therapies.” Dr. Birx

Edited by caulfield12

49 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Here comes another task force meeting/campaign rally/expressions of appreciation from everyone who gets to speak other than Dr. Fauci.

We’ve passed 9/11, Pearl Harbor and the Titanic.

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/03/31/politics/red-states-blue-cities-coronavirus/index.html
Just not sure how the mayors and governors and Federal government can possibly find a way to resolve these simmering disputes unless the push comes from the President to overrule 5 GOP governors (five already going against admin and making their own decisions.)

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/03/31/us/coronavirus-vaccine-timetable-concerns-experts-invs/index.html Scientific community starts pushing back on 12-18 month timeframe for vaccine.

Yeah, if that's true, that it took them 13 years in the best conditions to get a safe vaccine for SARS, then well....This might be the new normal for the next decade plus. 

I honestly don't know what can be done other than to build hospitals because this thing is so damn contagious, that everyone is going to get it eventually, and those that survive the first time will probably get it again. 

This is a huge setback to the human species. We're all fucked.

With how quickly this bug spreads, it seems contracting it is unavoidable over the long term. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

5 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

Yeah, if that's true, that it took them 13 years in the best conditions to get a safe vaccine for SARS, then well....This might be the new normal for the next decade plus. 

I honestly don't know what can be done other than to build hospitals because this thing is so damn contagious, that everyone is going to get it eventually, and those that survive the first time will probably get it again. 

This is a huge setback to the human species. We're all fucked.

With how quickly this bug spreads, it seems contracting it is unavoidable over the long term. 

OMG dude.  

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, default said:

OMG dude.  

It's actually not that ridiculous. 

That article that Caufield posted claims that a more realistic timeframe for a vaccine that is safe and effective is 12-18 YEARS, not 12-18 months. 

If that's the case, then what can possibly be done other than to accept mass casualties from this thing?

It is what it is. 

If social distancing measures are the only thing keeping it from running rampant, than it appears we have two choices: 

Either social distance until they figure it out, or......just accept the loss of life. 

Edited by Jack Parkman