COVID-19/Coronavirus thread

caulfield12

2 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Clue #1 should have been  the Chinese response.  The fact that they locked everyone down, at the expense of their economy, is really all you had to know. Past that, there were daily stages where this was obvious for anyone who wanted to see it.  Heck here in this very thread we had a guy literally in the city of Wuhan telling us his stories.

Look at the case list.  Look at places like India, Indonesia, Japan, and Malaysia who are right on China's doorstep and have mitigated this amazing well compared to use who is an ocean away.  Indonesia has about 80% of our population, 5 times our population density, and n

o where near the medical care that we have.  Indian has a billion + people and shares a border with China.

It has been done much better by many.

Ok, I agree with your first point completely.  Their response did not match what they were saying at all.  That should have been red flags all over the place.

And I'm not sure you case lists will hold up.  Japan basically pretended it didn't exist until the Olympics were cancelled, then all of a sudden "Oh no cases explode!".  That seems fishy to me.  They're response was to do pretty much nothing until like 3 days ago.  Indonesia had like zero (reported) cases until last week.  India seems to just be getting into the growth stage.  I'm going to wait and see before saying any of those countries have done a better job.  

11 minutes ago, bmags said:

Taiwan, Hong Kong Germany and Singapore have all done better jobs. Canada has been testing more per 100k until recently.

And of course Iceland and Estonia.

These countries have no doubt done a good job.  The obvious difference to me is populations.  It isn't an excuse, as we should have done a better job, but it is easier to test a significant portion of your population when your population is less than 10 million, or even 1 million in some of those cases.  

3 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

Eh, I wouldn't worry about food so much as paying rent and other bills.  I can tell you that from experience in Seattle the first two weeks saw all the hoarding.  We are so far past that now (onto week 5 now) the stores are flush with TP and chicken thighs and all that again.  It's just that NOBODY is operating a business.  If you are, like myself, you're doing it with extreme caution, with reduced hours, at about 50% volume and have furloughed or just laid off your workers.

This is a unique crisis and fortunately many Americans are taking it more seriously than the POTUS.  But I wouldn't worry about food as much as jobs.

That's interesting. In the western suburbs of Chicago, I still haven't been able to find soap, hand sanitizer, any cleaning supplies, toilet paper, etc. for a few weeks. Luckily I had all of it well before this hit, so I'll be fine, but I'm surprised that your stores are already back to normal. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

@southsider2k5 eh I wouldn't trust the numbers from India or any of SEA outside SK and Japan really.   That said, that we are even in a world where the Indonesian response in any way comparable to the US' is just sad and depressing.

@turnin' two you're a trumpkin we get it.  nothing dear leader does is ever bad.  or if it's bad, it's only because of the democrats or the media and is it really that bad anyways compared to...

Trump is a joke man.  His inaction is and was a joke.  His pressers, where he can't articulate a position,  can't answer any questions, are a joke.  His entire fucking existence is a joke and we have him in charge in the greatest crisis since WWII.

God help us all man.

I think turnin' two has been critical of Dr. Trump. He just isn't willing to put all the blame on Trump. There is no doubt the president could have handled this better.

Edited by Yearnin' for Yermin
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, turnin' two said:

Ok, I agree with your first point completely.  Their response did not match what they were saying at all.  That should have been red flags all over the place.

And I'm not sure you case lists will hold up.  Japan basically pretended it didn't exist until the Olympics were cancelled, then all of a sudden "Oh no cases explode!".  That seems fishy to me.  They're response was to do pretty much nothing until like 3 days ago.  Indonesia had like zero (reported) cases until last week.  India seems to just be getting into the growth stage.  I'm going to wait and see before saying any of those countries have done a better job.  

These countries have no doubt done a good job.  The obvious difference to me is populations.  It isn't an excuse, as we should have done a better job, but it is easier to test a significant portion of your population when your population is less than 10 million, or even 1 million in some of those cases.  

That would hold weight if our epicenters weren't in our densest cities.

11 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

@southsider2k5 eh I wouldn't trust the numbers from India or any of SEA outside SK and Japan really.   That said, that we are even in a world where the Indonesian response in any way comparable to the US' is just sad and depressing.

@turnin' two you're a trumpkin we get it.  nothing dear leader does is ever bad.  or if it's bad, it's only because of the democrats or the media and is it really that bad anyways compared to...

Trump is a joke man.  His inaction is and was a joke.  His pressers, where he can't articulate a position,  can't answer any questions, are a joke.  His entire fucking existence is a joke and we have him in charge in the greatest crisis since WWII.

God help us all man.

Hey thanks.  I'm not at all.  I didn't vote for him and can't see voting for him this time.  Thanks though.  Sorry not completely digesting what the DNC tells me incomprehensible.  I have criticized his response several times.  You need to work on your reading comprehension.  

I completely agree, and have several times, with everything that is bolded.  So I guess that makes you a trumpkin too.

7 minutes ago, Jose Abreu said:

That's interesting. In the western suburbs of Chicago, I still haven't been able to find soap, hand sanitizer, any cleaning supplies, toilet paper, etc. for a few weeks. Luckily I had all of it well before this hit, so I'll be fine, but I'm surprised that your stores are already back to normal. 

Give it two weeks.  Then everybody will have so much god damn TP in their basement they won't need any for a year.  We had the first death last day of February.  Peak store panic was probably week of March 14-21st.  Stores were back stocked normally by about March 25th or so.

Every corner store here has "1 per customer" limit on hand sanitizer but you can find it easily.

• Thanks 2

Just now, turnin' two said:

Hey thanks.  I'm not at all.  I didn't vote for him and can't see voting for him this time.  Thanks though.  Sorry not completely digesting what the DNC tells me incomprehensible.  I have criticized his response several times.  You need to work on your reading comprehension.  

I completely agree, and have several times, with everything that is bolded.  So I guess that makes you a trumpkin too.

I had you on ignore until about 5 minutes ago :)

10 minutes ago, turnin' two said:

Japan has a population of 125 million that is mostly concentrated in a few places.  Even with all of the empty land they have their population density is 10 times the United States.  This is much  more dangerous where it is easily spread person to person.  A place like Tokyo is the ideal breeding ground.

Taiwan has 25 million people, with a density 20 X's that of the US.

Singapore has 6 million people, but their population density is 40 X's that of the United States, and approaching that of New York City.

Germany has 80 million people and is about 6 times more densely populated than the US.

And this is all looking strictly at preliminary numbers. 

There are three critical failures it is unclear the Feds are responding responsively to right now:

1. Shortage of PPE/supplies - was apparent early on in Seattle, and they are still shuffling their feet in not activating dpa

2. Lack of testing - Terrible decisions early on by FDA and CDC that have been now compounded by 1 as there is a lack of supplies to keep going.

3. Lack of capacity - this is being most mitigated now but still seems to get consistently screwed up in how much the military can provide. Natl guard at state level has been incredible. Obviously, the worst part is now the military bases themselves.

So away from the messaging, these are ongoing issues.

25 minutes ago, StrangeSox said:

The response is still terrible and that includes some governors who are otherwise handling it well, like JB who went ahead with in-person primaries on March 17th.

I started stocking up on food and cleaning products in late February, and even that was later than I really wanted to. This was obviously going to get very, very bad. I won't say I fully appreciated how bad and how quickly, but at the same time the heads of the United States government were insisting that this was nothing, it'd be gone by April, nobody in America is really that much at risk, it's all a political hit-job by a desperate opposition, stock market hitting record highs!

Yes, other countries have had poor responses as well, but the US response is shaping up to be pretty uniquely terrible. Earlier today, Vice President Pence said our situation is now most comparable to Italy.

We are in for a very rough couple of weeks ahead.

And while JB has been pretty good, he basically was forced to close the bars after they were packed the Saturday before Saint Patrick's Day.

1 minute ago, Dick Allen said:

And while JB has been pretty good, he basically was forced to close the bars after they were packed the Saturday before Saint Patrick's Day.

At least he answered the bell, unlike the FL governor leaving the beaches open. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

Give it two weeks.  Then everybody will have so much god damn TP in their basement they won't need any for a year.  We had the first death last day of February.  Peak store panic was probably week of March 14-21st.  Stores were back stocked normally by about March 25th or so.

Every corner store here has "1 per customer" limit on hand sanitizer but you can find it easily.

In the lands  of Wal_marts and Targets, getting back to normal is happening much quicker.

1 minute ago, Dick Allen said:

That was very early on, he was behind only Ohio and San Fran in shutting things down at restaurant level, and then only oak park led illinois in the stay at home orders. The partnership between mayor and governor has been good, and their communication has been very good.

2 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

In the lands  of Wal_marts and Targets, getting back to normal is happening much quicker.

My CVS yesterday had a sign up that they were out of everything you would be looking for during this pandemic. Kind of surprised me because most places have had most things except masks for the last week or so.

8 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Yea I'd imagine in most exurban and suburban settings things are already restocked.  My experience is simply within the Seattle metro area, which is probably unique for quite a few reasons.  Not the least is that the Nordic base culture here is close to the "don't bring shame to yourself" attitude that helps Japan and other Eastern societies controlling the virus.

People here are fairly communal, for better and worse.  In these times it's for the better.

In the north burbs, the couple grocery stores we go to have been pretty well stocked in almost everything food-wise. A little short on pasta for a bit there and some other staple goods had slim pickings but not permanently. But they are still, and have been for a couple weeks, just completely cleaned out of paper goods and handwashing soaps. I mean literally zero of all of those things, having visited each a few times and called at times in between to ask.

Just now, NorthSideSox72 said:

In the north burbs, the couple grocery stores we go to have been pretty well stocked in almost everything food-wise. A little short on pasta for a bit there and some other staple goods had slim pickings but not permanently. But they are still, and have been for a couple weeks, just completely cleaned out of paper goods and handwashing soaps. I mean literally zero of all of those things, having visited each a few times and called at times in between to ask.

Yeah same here. I have heard healthcare is being prioritized for all of it but not sure who is coordinating that?

9 minutes ago, NorthSideSox72 said:

These days it really paid off to having built a relationship with the guys stocking the shelves.

9 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

Sounds obvious but try corner stores, bulk discount stores and pharmacies for paper goods and sanitizer and cleaning goods.  Also Amazon has plenty, although prime shipping is now 3-4 days instead of 1-3 in most locations.

Office supply stores for TP 😉

24 minutes ago, turnin' two said:

Yes.  This.  Thanks.  

The idea that opinions can exist in the middle, that something can be both good and bad, is a foreign topic to many.   Hyperbole, polarization and false dichotomies are the new norm because they provide an identity for those who feel they need one.  And from this comes the-- "If you don't hate Trump, this means you support him and I hate you." --nonsense.

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, NorthSideSox72 said:

I have found it very funny, that where most types of pasta have been gone, there always seems to be fettuccine.