COVID-19/Coronavirus thread

caulfield12

Just now, poppysox said:

Do any of you Republicans think Trump is doing a bad job with this crisis?

Do any of  you Democrats think Trump is doing a good job with this crisis?

I didn't think so...carry on!

Thanks for adding nothing, poppy sox 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3
  • Love 1

22 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

Sounds obvious but try corner stores, bulk discount stores and pharmacies for paper goods and sanitizer and cleaning goods.  Also Amazon has plenty, although prime shipping is now 3-4 days instead of 1-3 in most locations.

We've tried CVS and Walgreens nearby too, calling or stopping in. Nothing.

12 minutes ago, mqr said:

Office supply stores for TP 😉

That's an idea I hadn't considered, thanks.

We are OK for now anyway, but within a week we will be in dire straits on TP.

1 minute ago, NorthSideSox72 said:

We've tried CVS and Walgreens nearby too, calling or stopping in. Nothing.

That's an idea I hadn't considered, thanks.

We are OK for now anyway, but within a week we will be in dire straits on TP.

just realized they're probably not open anymore..

15 minutes ago, default said:

The idea that opinions can exist in the middle, that something can be both good and bad, is a foreign topic to many.   Hyperbole, polarization and false dichotomies are the new norm because they provide an identity for those who feel they need one.  And from this comes the-- "If you don't hate Trump, this means you support him and I hate you." --nonsense.

https://gawker.com/on-smarm-1476594977

26 minutes ago, default said:

The idea that opinions can exist in the middle, that something can be both good and bad, is a foreign topic to many.   Hyperbole, polarization and false dichotomies are the new norm because they provide an identity for those who feel they need one.  And from this comes the-- "If you don't hate Trump, this means you support him and I hate you." --nonsense.

There is a difference between politics and violation of human rights:

examples: 

Debating immigration policy: Politics

Locking kids in cages/family separation: Violation of human rights

Debating where we should spend our tax money: Politics

Leaving poor people to die when they get sick because of lack of affordability and access to healthcare: Violation of human rights

I could go on. 

The fact that we can't even agree on what is or isn't a basic human right is why there is vitriol. 

It has crossed the line from politics to right vs. wrong for so many people. That's where the disconnect comes from, that's where the anger and rage comes from. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

Just now, chitownsportsfan said:

@southsider2k5 eh I wouldn't trust the numbers from India or any of SEA outside SK and Japan really.   That said, that we are even in a world where the Indonesian response in any way comparable to the US' is just sad and depressing.

@turnin' two you're a trumpkin we get it.  nothing dear leader does is ever bad.  or if it's bad, it's only because of the democrats or the media and is it really that bad anyways compared to...

Trump is a joke man.  His inaction is and was a joke.  His pressers, where he can't articulate a position,  can't answer any questions, are a joke.  His entire fucking existence is a joke and we have him in charge in the greatest crisis since WWII.

God help us all man.

These people will roll over for a tummy rub as we devolve into a white supremacist regime. Just wait until the election if it happens. 

1 hour ago, chitownsportsfan said:

Eh, I wouldn't worry about food so much as paying rent and other bills.  I can tell you that from experience in Seattle the first two weeks saw all the hoarding.  We are so far past that now (onto week 5 now) the stores are flush with TP and chicken thighs and all that again.  It's just that NOBODY is operating a business.  If you are, like myself, you're doing it with extreme caution, with reduced hours, at about 50% volume and have furloughed or just laid off your workers.

This is a unique crisis and fortunately many Americans are taking it more seriously than the POTUS.  But I wouldn't worry about food as much as jobs.

Oh yeah just to clarify, I stocked up to limit how often we have to go to the store, not because I'm worried about actual food shortages in the mid term.

Just now, StrangeSox said:

Oh yeah just to clarify, I stocked up to limit how often we have to go to the store, not because I'm worried about actual food shortages in the mid term.

We did the same.  When we went originally we planned for two weeks worth of meals.  The last time we went we stretched out nonperishable supplies out to a month.

4 hours ago, StrangeSox said:

Notably, a study in France of 80 coronavirus patients given HC and azithromycin, an antibiotic for upper respiratory infections, documented “a clinical improvement in all but one 86 year-old patient who died, and one 74 year-old patient still in intensive care unit.” Doctors have also reported anecdotal evidence of the malaria drugs’ efficacy.

Anecdotes are not evidence in court and certainly not scientific proof.  A placebo pill administered to all but the senior citizens would yield anecdotal evidence of "efficacy."

People go to college and take classes in statistics to learn how this kind of trash does not amount to a peer reviewed legitimate study let alone a reason for drugs like this to be administered to humans for CV-19.  Even more troubling to me is that those drugs nave caused serious complications when not prescribed in the right dosages and for a proper purpose.

I guess for people that do not want to learn about scientific method, perhaps they can now figure out by themselves  that we would be seeing the death rate seriously diminish if this crap was effective.   Politicians need to the scientific community do their work and just stfu for a while.

Edited by tray
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, tray said:

Anecdotes are not evidence in court and certainly not scientific proof.  A placebo pill administered to all but the senior citizens would yield anecdotal evidence of "efficacy."

People go to college and take classes in statistics to learn how this kind of trash does not amount to a peer reviewed legitimate study let alone a reason for drugs like this to be administered to humans for CV-19.  Even more troubling to me is that those drugs nave caused serious complications when not prescribed in the right dosages and for a proper purpose.

I guess for people that do not want to learn about scientific method, perhaps they can now figure out by themselves  that we would be seeing the death rate seriously diminish if this crap was effective.   Politicians need to the scientific community do their work and just stfu for a while.

Just to clarify here, I was quoting the WSJ editorial board there. 

Nobody should give any weight whatsoever to anything that collection ever says. In fact, you'd probably do much better on taking whatever they say and betting on the exact opposite.

For the TP, how much TP do people use??? In early March, the lady behind us in Jewel had two shopping carts full of TP. That would be like a 3 year supply for us. I dunno, if you go through that much TP, just switch to a bidet or something.

We (mankind) are in crisis. The US should be looked to for leadership. Our response was to create a virus task force headed by Mike Pence and including 2 people from the medical community (Drs. Fausi and Birx). With all due respect to the Drs. that is not a real task force. Moreover, it reports to Trump who cannot manage anything let alone a crisis. We need a serious leader who can mobilize resources and think in terms of collaboration and execution. This is a viral/medical crisis but to win will take the best minds in science, logistics, supply networking, technology and manufacturing. Lets recruit Bill Gates to lead a real task force made up of the best and brightest across all relevant disciplines. For any of you who have watched the documentary, Inside Bills Brain, you know he is the man for the job (if you have Cable and time on your hands, its a great watch). This guy knows how to think globally and organize effectively. When he calls, leaders respond and when he speaks, its with credibility vs.  Trumps ego feeding, self important referendums on how great he is doing. If we don't get serious (Pence might be a fine cheerleader and Trump sycophant but he should not chair a task force with real consequences for nonperformance), this will be orders of magnitude worse than it could be.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, StrangeSox said:

Just to clarify here, I was quoting the WSJ editorial board there. 

Nobody should give any weight whatsoever to anything that collection ever says. In fact, you'd probably do much better on taking whatever they say and betting on the exact opposite.

For the TP, how much TP do people use??? In early March, the lady behind us in Jewel had two shopping carts full of TP. That would be like a 3 year supply for us. I dunno, if you go through that much TP, just switch to a bidet or something.

Bidets are the best. I can't go back. I've had these for like 5 years. Highly recommend