COVID-19/Coronavirus thread

caulfield12

43 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

We did the same.  When we went originally we planned for two weeks worth of meals.  The last time we went we stretched out nonperishable supplies out to a month.

My experience in Denver has been that produce is fine.  The first weekend, onions, potatoes and garlic were completely wiped out, but since then, no issues.  Non-perishables are still really, really picked over in stores.  I haven't seen a can of black beans on a grocery shelf in like 3 weeks.

7 minutes ago, illinilaw08 said:

My experience in Denver has been that produce is fine.  The first weekend, onions, potatoes and garlic were completely wiped out, but since then, no issues.  Non-perishables are still really, really picked over in stores.  I haven't seen a can of black beans on a grocery shelf in like 3 weeks.

The Jewel by me has been up and down, but in general I can get what I want. Target is a little more picked out because they offer delivery. Plum Market is almost fully stocked and is handling this super well.

Our pasta section has been full of lasagna but nothing else. Forget about tortillas that aren't fat free, gluten free, etc. The cereal aisle was pretty picked over. I the plus side I just taught my four year old grandson to ask Alexa to fart. Yeah, I'm the cool grandpa. I'm also learning to meditate, stretching a couple times a day, and really making progress on my next book. 

4 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

Clue #1 should have been  the Chinese response.  The fact that they locked everyone down, at the expense of their economy, is really all you had to know. Past that, there were daily stages where this was obvious for anyone who wanted to see it.  Heck here in this very thread we had a guy literally in the city of Wuhan telling us his stories.

Look at the case list.  Look at places like India, Indonesia, Japan, and Malaysia who are right on China's doorstep and have mitigated this amazing well compared to use who is an ocean away.  Indonesia has about 80% of our population, 5 times our population density, and no where near the medical care that we have.  Indian has a billion + people and shares a border with China.

It has been done much better by many.

In fact, they just announced high school seniors can’t return any earlier than 5/11, Grade 10/11 no earlier than 5/18...kindergarten completely gone from January until August/September.

They’re not even letting workers turn on individual heating and air conditioning units (attached to wall or standing)...for an indeterminate future for fear of a recurrence in public buildings.  Centralized heating and air con is rare.  Everyone outside is mandated to wear a mask even four months after this whole thing really took off.

And the Gao Kao, Chinese version of the SAT, in an unprecedented move, has been moved back one full month to July 7/8, perhaps the hottest time of the year here (Beijing and Hubei Province are setting their own timelines for the first time ever, as well.)

35 minutes ago, Texsox said:

Our pasta section has been full of lasagna but nothing else. Forget about tortillas that aren't fat free, gluten free, etc. The cereal aisle was pretty picked over. I the plus side I just taught my four year old grandson to ask Alexa to fart. Yeah, I'm the cool grandpa. I'm also learning to meditate, stretching a couple times a day, and really making progress on my next book. 

Part of surviving the isolation section of this is having some sort of a sanity release.  For many it is a sense of humor.

Just now, tray said:

Anecdotes are not evidence in court and certainly not scientific proof.  A placebo pill administered to all but the senior citizens would yield anecdotal evidence of "efficacy."

People go to college and take classes in statistics to learn how this kind of trash does not amount to a peer reviewed legitimate study let alone a reason for drugs like this to be administered to humans for CV-19.  Even more troubling to me is that those drugs nave caused serious complications when not prescribed in the right dosages and for a proper purpose.

I guess for people that do not want to learn about scientific method, perhaps they can now figure out by themselves  that we would be seeing the death rate seriously diminish if this crap was effective.   Politicians need to the scientific community do their work and just stfu for a while.

That is more than deep enough for many. Let's all take some in case it works and doesn't kill us. 

Mortality rate for the entire world running at close to 5%, or roughly 1/2 of SARs with magnitudes greater transmissibility.

That’s about 3x higher than the earliest anticipatory US projections in January and February.   Or 50x the rate of the common flu.   Even with under-testing or denied testing, arguably 20-30x more deadly.

And we have a backlog of 160,000 tests currently waiting to be processed just at Quest Diagnostics alone.   Ten day delays, 1/2 of total order backlogged.   Same exact issues with LabCorp.   

That particular only handle 30,000 per day, max.  100,000 is our current daily NATIONAL capacity...and these next two months we’re going to need to be processing 5-10x that on a daily basis.

Edited by caulfield12

13 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Mortality rate for the entire world running at close to 5%, or roughly 1/2 of SARs with magnitudes greater transmissibility.

That’s about 3x higher than the earliest anticipatory US projections in January and February.   Or 50x the rate of the common flu.   Even with under-testing or denied testing, arguably 20-30x more deadly.

And we have a backlog of 160,000 tests currently waiting to be processed just at Quest Diagnostics alone.   Ten day delays, 1/2 of total order backlogged.   Same exact issues with LabCorp.   

The CFR is 5%, Imperial College believes that the IFR is less than half a percent, which is obviously still bad. 

Edited by mqr

16 minutes ago, mqr said:

The CFR is 5%, Imperial College believes that the IFR is less than half a percent.

With the cloud over Chinese, US, Russia, Indonesia, Iran, India and Malaysian numbers...maybe even Japan protecting the Olympics, we still don’t really know as much as we need to.

The most dangerous aspect of this is 33% of those testing positive being asymptomatic carriers or super spreaders.

Btw, National stockpile of PPE wiped out today. 

We’re starting off press conferences worried about illegal drug interdiction moreso than PPE and ventilators?   Sigh...interestingly, the hospitals are running low on Fentanyl supplies for intubation.  And Maduro in Venezuela is now Public Enemy #1 because we’re still trying to do regime change.  Fine.   Just seems like we need to have our priorities straight. 

Edited by caulfield12

This is what I find amazing about this crisis: No matter how polarized the country has been and is, we should have had an easy time agreeing that this is the most dire crisis we have faced in the history of our country. Instead, we get talk about hoaxes and conspiracies and speculation that is okay if older people die to save the economy. I keep hearing that "we are all in this together." I don't think that's true yet. And that's really scary.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, NWINFan said:

This is what I find amazing about this crisis: No matter how polarized the country has been and is, we should have had an easy time agreeing that this is the most dire crisis we have faced in the history of our country. Instead, we get talk about hoaxes and conspiracies and speculation that is okay if older people die to save the economy. I keep hearing that "we are all in this together." I don't think that's true yet. And that's really scary.

I don't agree with this at all.  It probably isn't even close (for example, maybe, the CIvil War?)

I do however, agree with everything else in your statement, including the sentiment. 

Edited by turnin' two

29 minutes ago, NWINFan said:

It’s not unlike the New Testament...many refuse to believe until they see or experience firsthand proof or evidence in their own families.  The Doubting Thomas Effect, which was multiplied by the skepticism echoed/reinforced by both the President and the conservative media.  I think a large part of this was coming right on the heels of the impeachment debacle...so it SEEMED in line with yet another conspiracy or hoax.

In that sense, the Democrats also bear SOME responsibility for entering that process with no viable end game...which soaked up months of Congressional focus.

Of course, the other obvious side of this is that empathy, compassion and non-transactional leadership are exactly what is called for to unify the country.  As long as these briefings remain so politicized that networks are debating whether to carry them as they devolve consistently into partisan talking points from politicians...the country will continue to be divided or polarized.

On the state and local levels, governors can evoke that sense of we're all in this together as Governor Cuomo has consistently done for weeks now...or DeWine, or Hogan, or Baker.   On a national basis, though...we’re suddenly (at least for today) fixated on controlling the border with Mexico.  It’s like an alternate reality t.v. show created to distract from reality and intentionally shift the focus back to campaign issues.

“Warmer weather will slow or kill the virus.”  That’s not a national suppression/mitigation strategy!

Edited by caulfield12
  • Like 1

Just now, Flash said:

We (mankind) are in crisis. The US should be looked to for leadership. Our response was to create a virus task force headed by Mike Pence and including 2 people from the medical community (Drs. Fausi and Birx). With all due respect to the Drs. that is not a real task force. Moreover, it reports to Trump who cannot manage anything let alone a crisis. We need a serious leader who can mobilize resources and think in terms of collaboration and execution. This is a viral/medical crisis but to win will take the best minds in science, logistics, supply networking, technology and manufacturing. Lets recruit Bill Gates to lead a real task force made up of the best and brightest across all relevant disciplines. For any of you who have watched the documentary, Inside Bills Brain, you know he is the man for the job (if you have Cable and time on your hands, its a great watch). This guy knows how to think globally and organize effectively. When he calls, leaders respond and when he speaks, its with credibility vs.  Trumps ego feeding, self important referendums on how great he is doing. If we don't get serious (Pence might be a fine cheerleader and Trump sycophant but he should not chair a task force with real consequences for nonperformance), this will be orders of magnitudedisdain and denial.  worse than it could be.ev

The pandemic behavioral timeline from the White House starting in 2017 is pretty outrageous and egregious. When you present direct documented evidence it is met with disbelief disdain and denial. There can be no dispute that we have moved far beyond truth and logic and we will get what we deserve. This will all be capped off in November by an equally disturbing upheaval. 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, bmags said:

stuck for a week. Needs to be tripled.

The testing is ridiculous.  My boss was exposed because the office manager had the office mail forwarded to her home.  And someone in her house was then taken to the hospital and confirmed with the virus.  She then FedEx'd the mail that belongs to my department to my boss (without knowing she was already exposed).  He contacted his doctor and was told there was a zero chance he'd be tested (Naperville hospital).  I've been working remotely since 3/12 and have been pretty diligent so I'm not that worried, but testing is for shit!

7 hours ago, Jose Abreu said:

That's interesting. In the western suburbs of Chicago, I still haven't been able to find soap, hand sanitizer, any cleaning supplies, toilet paper, etc. for a few weeks. Luckily I had all of it well before this hit, so I'll be fine, but I'm surprised that your stores are already back to normal. 

Same here. Meat was at a premium for a while too but I could find it when I went shopping on Friday morning instead of Friday after work. I haven’t found toilet paper yet but my retired father in law has at Jewel.

7 hours ago, chitownsportsfan said:

Give it two weeks.  Then everybody will have so much god damn TP in their basement they won't need any for a year.  We had the first death last day of February.  Peak store panic was probably week of March 14-21st.  Stores were back stocked normally by about March 25th or so.

Every corner store here has "1 per customer" limit on hand sanitizer but you can find it easily.

Stores should all have to put limit 1 on items to avoid the kind of shit some assholes pulled with hoarding a few weeks ago. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, NorthSideSox72 said:

We've tried CVS and Walgreens nearby too, calling or stopping in. Nothing.

That's an idea I hadn't considered, thanks.

We are OK for now anyway, but within a week we will be in dire straits on TP.

Do you have a Tony’s by you? A coworker of mine said people don’t really think of that store but they should have toilet paper. I’m going to check the one out in Bolingbrook on Friday to see what I can find.

6 minutes ago, The Beast said:

Who could possibly be threatening Fauci and why? Because he corrects the used car salesman?

Because the administration is setting him up as the fall guy by making the failings of the CDC all seem like his doing.  The blood is already in the water, everyone knows Trump hated that he contradicted him multiple times.  People are now blaming him for the virus spreading

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1