COVID-19/Coronavirus thread

caulfield12

1 minute ago, Jenksismyhero said:

A fluke terrorist attack that changed how we travel, how we conduct business, how we manage our security, etc. We created a whole new division of our government/military because of it. Our entire worldview changed because of it.

You think we'll keep practicing social distancing after this? Buying more delivery/curbside food? You think sports leagues will close forever? The only change I see sticking is being more mindful of washing our hands. Maybe telecommuting will be more common (businesses have now been forced to try it and they'll likely see productivity doesn't drop at all). That's about it.

I think that this is going to change how we travel, how we conduct business, how we manage biological security. I think you are going to see dramatic changes in how the US looks at virus and other disease research.

Im just saying if the US completely changed life over a fluke terrorist attack, what is society (not just the US) going to do over a pandemic that has brought the world to a standstill.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Jenksismyhero said:

A fluke terrorist attack that changed how we travel, how we conduct business, how we manage our security, etc. We created a whole new division of our government/military because of it. Our entire worldview changed because of it.

You think we'll keep practicing social distancing after this? Buying more delivery/curbside food? You think sports leagues will close forever? The only change I see sticking is being more mindful of washing our hands. Maybe telecommuting will be more common (businesses have now been forced to try it and they'll likely see productivity doesn't drop at all). That's about it.

1000s of shuttered businesses. The economy will be changed fundamentally, probably accelerating toward increased Amazonification.

If it gets bad enough you'll see eventual social unrest and subsequent reforms. 

It's also not outside the realm of possibility that sports leagues shutter if for someone reason we can't get going in 2021 either. 

Edited by mqr

18 minutes ago, Reddy said:

Wait you hid my post that was analyzing the damn map? Jesus, now I remember why I stopped posting here.

You come back and stir up shit with posters you have never interacted with, literally blame them for a pandemic based on a comment from months ago and now want to complain about a comment being masked?   GTFOH with that bullshit

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Love 2

3 minutes ago, Soxbadger said:

I think that this is going to change how we travel, how we conduct business, how we manage biological security. I think you are going to see dramatic changes in how the US looks at virus and other disease research.

Im just saying if the US completely changed life over a fluke terrorist attack, what is society (not just the US) going to do over a pandemic that has brought the world to a standstill.

But you won't see that on a personal level like after 9/11. Businesses may clean more, for example, but that's behind the scenes. Travel won't change for the average person (I can't see them implementing mandatory health checks for each flight...they aren't even doing that in the height of the pandemic). And yeah, hopefully the government takes this seriously and keeps a pandemic response/biological security team in place, but we had that just a few years ago and no one thought about it. 

On a personal, day to day level, this doesn't compare to the effects of 9/11 except for the disruption which I grant you will be months, not weeks.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Jenksismyhero said:

a4bb5183-f182-4f03-8d35-4cf5bd2a184d

4 minutes ago, Jenksismyhero said:

On a personal, day to day level, this doesn't compare to the effects of 9/11 except for the disruption which I grant you will be months, not weeks.

The disruption is what is going to cause the social change not necessarily the virus itself.  There are going to be A LOT more poor people in 2021 than there were in 2019.

Edited by mqr
  • Like 2

42 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

You live around there?  Interesting place.  Man.  About 10 years ago, back when I was still a young pup in my mid 20s we did an epic SXSW and beach trip that included spending two nights on South Padre on the national shoreline.  I'll never forget we were listening to the NCAA Tourney on the beach and drinking some of the cheapest handles of liquor known to man.

What a stunning place.  It's too bad about the petro industry down there tho.  Dirty.  I don't mind the rigs but just the amount of tar and shit on the beach was unacceptable imo.

I spent about 10 summers living on the island then moving inland the rest of the year. I still have a lot of friends down there. It's tough to get down as much as I would like. It's about a four hour drive from San Antonio. They keep the beaches clean near the developed areas. I would mostly drive north towards the Port Mansfield cut. I actually prefer the Laguna Madre side. As you go north the inter-coastal is incredible. 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, bmags said:

I do think it will change how we deal with Global Warming as we actually experience a tail risk in our lives.

I'm not convinced the Republicans will change their tune on that. There is too much lobbying money at stake. 

Edited by Yearnin' for Yermin

1 hour ago, StrangeSox said:

We went to Big Bend via Midland-Odessa in December. Can confirm that there is approximately nothing for 300 miles there, and then a boom town of....70 permanent residents.

Big Bend Ranch State Park and Big Bend National Park are two of my favorite places on earth. We head out there every chance we get. 

3 minutes ago, Texsox said:

I spent about 10 summers living on the island then moving inland the rest of the year. I still have a lot of friends down there. It's tough to get down as much as I would like. It's about a four hour drive from San Antonio. They keep the beaches clean near the developed areas. I would mostly drive north towards the Port Mansfield cut. I actually prefer the Laguna Madre side. As you go north the inter-coastal is incredible. 

Yea we did the bottom legs of the "Texas triangle" drive.  We started in Houston, went to Galveston and then went to SA before Austin.  Just drove through SA briefly.  A very unique and beautiful part of the country.

Edited by chitownsportsfan

I believe the changes we will see will be an acceleration in trends that are evolutionary not revolutionary. Curbside and home delivery of groceries were already in place. As consumers become more comfortable and  enjoy the convenience it will grow at a fast rate than it otherwise would especially among consumers 50 and over. Cooking at home may piggyback on that with younger consumers. Business travel, which was already on a two decade downward slide will slip even faster. 

4 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

Yea we did the bottom legs of the "Texas triangle" drive.  We started in Houston, went to Galveston and then went to SA before Austin.  Just drove through SA briefly.  A very unique and beautiful part of the country.

South Padre does not have 10% of the petro industry as you experienced a few hundred miles north in Galveston. There is a sizable group fighting turning the Port of Brownsville into a Liquid Petroleum Gas (LPG) terminal.  

8 minutes ago, mqr said:

The disruption is what is going to cause the social change not necessarily the virus itself.  There are going to be A LOT more poor people in 2021 than there were in 2019.

A lot of this economic disruption is short term though. Once businesses can operate again, most of those jobs will come back. Sure, not all will, not all businesses will re-open, and for those that do, it may take some time to get back to where they were before this. But the reason the economy is tanking is not because the fundamentals are bad. It's because the government literally told people to stop going to work. 

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, Jenksismyhero said:

It's definitely going to change the way we travel and how nations interact with one another. There's a very good possibility that Covid 19 isn't an isolated pandemic. It could very well be something else next year, or in 2 years. 

31 minutes ago, Soxbadger said:

I don't even get what is going on now. Why is the market up today? 6.6 million jobless claims. That's 10 million in 2 weeks. Using that number there is currently a 9.5% unemployment rate. At the peak of the Great Recession, it was 10%. People are losing their insurance, and it isn't gettng better next week.  When they get sick, what is going to happen? There are many who don't qualify for medicaid, and don't have the means for COBRA. Why aren't they opening up Obamacare other than political reasons?

Apparently people are betting on a fast bounce back, but we have no idea when this ends. Probably at least a month or two after the administrations  worst case scenerio, and if you look at China, while their economy is bouncing back, it's bouncing back very slowly. 

No one has a stimulus check, and that $1200 or so will be gone almost immediately. The small business loans don't even start until tomorrow. How long is it going to take for them to process all of the unemployment claims? And more and more people keep getting sick and dying. 

Edited by Dick Allen
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Texsox said:

South Padre does not have 10% of the petro industry as you experienced a few hundred miles north in Galveston. There is a sizable group fighting turning the Port of Brownsville into a Liquid Petroleum Gas (LPG) terminal.  

Interesting, is that a terminal for oil sands and shale "heavy crude"?  One thing I remember from San Padre is that the sun was at like a 70 degree angle around noon in March.  It's pretty god damn south down there.  

With oil crashing like it is might be the death knell for a lot of US projects, refineries, terminals and otherwise.

6 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

I don't even get what is going on now. Why is the market up today? 6.6 million jobless claims. That's 10 million in 2 weeks. Using that number there is currently a 9.5% unemployment rate. At the peak of the Great Recession, it was 10%. People are losing their insurance, and it isn't gettng better next week.  When they get sick, what is going to happen? There are many who don't qualify for medicaid, and don't have the means for COBRA. Why aren't they opening up Obamacare other than political reasons?

Apparently people are betting on a fast bounce back, but we have no idea when this ends. Probably at least a month or two after the administrations  worst case scenerio, and if you look at China, while their economy is bouncing back, it's bouncing back very slowly. 

No one has a stimulus check, and that $1200 or so will be gone almost immediately. The small business loans don't even start until tomorrow. How long is it going to take for them to process all of the unemployment claims? And more and more people keep getting sick and dying. 

Agreeing with you quite a bit lately.  The market is just batshit irrational and always has been.   There isn't going to be any quick recovery.

And the other thing is people are going to be dying from other crap. But because the ERs and intensive cares are so taxed, they will not get the immediate care they needed to survive. So while heart attack, stroke, aneurysm, gunshot, stabbing... might be the cause of death, COVID 19 may be the real cause., 

9 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

Interesting, is that a terminal for oil sands and shale "heavy crude"?  One thing I remember from San Padre is that the sun was at like a 70 degree angle around noon in March.  It's pretty god damn south down there.  

With oil crashing like it is might be the death knell for a lot of US projects, refineries, terminals and otherwise.

There is really no petro down here. There are a few off shore rigs that logistically it is easier to get to from South Padre, but again, nothing like Galveston. Basically its tourist and Space X. 

1 minute ago, Dick Allen said:

The IRS has told Congress that some people won't be getting their stimulus checks for 5 months. 

The past couple of years my withholding have been nearly spot on. I've sent checks for less than $50 each time. Which means they do not have my direct deposit information and likely I'll see a check this summer. 

Just now, mqr said:

We’re looking at worse job loss than the fucking Great Depression dude, on top of WWII level deaths. 

This is one of our worst experiences and the election will be too making this a very bad year. Our collective viral exposure goes way beyond politics and we must defer to the experts. Granted social media magnifies everything. 

1 minute ago, StrangeSox said:

The stock market has been unmoored from the real economy for awhile now. Today's Number Go Up is because the Fed promised infinite money to prop up businesses/shareholder value.

Fed should definitely take money out of the economy right now.