COVID-19/Coronavirus thread

caulfield12

7 hours ago, StrangeSox said:

I'm hoping that as a society, we change the way we view the importance of so many working class jobs. How many "unskilled" workers are putting their health on the line right now for little pay and no sick leave or job security while most of us work from home? Perhaps we should recognize them as essential and important always, and above all as people equally worthy of dignity and respect and living wages.

I hope too we recognize the importance of making our society more resilient to these sorts of crises in the future. We could have been much better prepared and equipped to deal with this, and we will need to deal with more global warming induced crises in the near future.

Not just global warming crises, but automation crises as well.

Friday setting up as a battle between Dr. Fauci, GOP governors and Trump over why there’s still no national/Federal stay at home declaration yet.

States without Statewide Stay at Home Orders  (info is a few days behind, cnn.com)

Alabama

Arkansas

Georgia (Thursday)

Florida  (just instituted Thursday)

Iowa

Maine (announced)

Mississippi (just announced)

Missouri

Nebraska

Nevada (just announced)

North Dakota

Oklahoma (announced)

Pennsylvania (just announced)

South Carolina

South Dakota

Tennessee (“safer at home”)???

Texas (not stay at home, but some restrictions recently announced)

Utah

Wyoming

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/coronavirus-deaths-top-5000-in-us-as-more-states-issue-stay-at-home-orders

https://www.bostonglobe.com/2020/04/02/opinion/if-clueless-governors-wont-act-trump-needs-issue-national-stay-at-home-order/

https://fox8.com/news/coronavirus/what-are-you-waiting-for-11-states-that-havent-asked-residents-to-stay-home/

Just now, StrangeSox said:

Perhaps cutting government to the bone is not actually the best idea

It's almost as if we held a national prayer circle and chose Satan to lead us.

The states should have been building their stockpile. We have almost 10,000 in our stockpile and we've been building it," Trump said at the White House.

"We've been supplying it. But the states should be building. We're a backup. We're not an ordering clerk."

Trump also appeared to question the financial wisdom of investing in mass production of the critical breathing machines, saying that in a few months they would only be worth $5 apiece

The building controversy over ventilators came as it emerged that 20% of a federal reserve of ventilators were out of commission because their maintenance contract lapsed.

Hospitals in California and New York received machines from the stockpile but found them to need repair, according to the story first reported by The New York Times and CNN reporting. Federal officials have said they have sent 4,400 ventilators to New York -- by far the worst-hit US state -- from the national stockpile.

Even the new ventilators will not be available to states that are in the heat of the coronavirus battle right now.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/02/politics/donald-trump-ventilators-leadership-coronavirus/index.html

I said it before and I hope this doesn't blow up in my face, but take notes at how Newsome (CA's governor) has stayed away from taking pot shots at the president and has instead focused on flat out working together with the federal government.  Pissing contest be damn, none of it matters when discussing all of the lives at risk and through it, he has actually been relatively complimentary of the president (maybe because he's smart enough to recognize the fact that it is better to put differences aside and focus entirely on doing the best you can to tackle the situation at hand - period).  Ignore the mudslinging (even if the pres wants to).  Be the bigger and better person for the sake of your state and the country.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, StrangeSox said:

This is good news, though. Illinois testing rates continue to climb steadily.

EUrzjOTXsAAhtWU?format=jpg&name=small

edit2: this is not so good news:

Probably short on data but that positive cases line looks pretty linear at this point in spite of the explosion of tests. 

18 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

I said it before and I hope this doesn't blow up in my face, but take notes at how Newsome (CA's governor) has stayed away from taking pot shots at the president and has instead focused on flat out working together with the federal government.  Pissing contest be damn, none of it matters when discussing all of the lives at risk and through it, he has actually been relatively complimentary of the president (maybe because he's smart enough to recognize the fact that it is better to put differences aside and focus entirely on doing the best you can to tackle the situation at hand - period).  Ignore the mudslinging (even if the pres wants to).  Be the bigger and better person for the sake of your state and the country.  

Even still, it is a massive, massive problem that anyone needs to have been kissing the president's ass to get help during a global crisis. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

9 minutes ago, mqr said:

Even still, it is a massive, massive problem that anyone needs to have been kissing the president's ass to get help during a global crisis. 

No - It is just people need to ignore the politics.  Who the F cares who started what. When people are doing, get over it. Trump playing nicely with California actually shows he can do it too.  The problem is too many are completely using this for their own political gain and it pisses him off (and I'm not justifying him in the equation...and he should cut through it all and if he did he'd probably be a shoe-in for re-election).  But it is why I have so much issue with the current state of affairs, such a vast minority look through things with anything other than their specific color classes.  Everyone needs to shut the fuck up about politics and focus entirely on the serious matters at hand. Period.  

This is coming from someone who can't stand either party most of the time at this point.  But I do think the fact that the president can play nice with the most liberal state in the union is a positive (and i hope it continues).  As I said earlier, I really admire the job Newsome has done thus far during the crisis.  

• Like 1

Yeah, he's playing nice because he knows you've got appease the toddler's ego or he will make you and your state suffer fatal consequences.

Edit: you can't really ignore politics here. It's an inherently political situation controlled largely by politicians. Politicians who have failed massively and continue to fail deserve criticism, not praise for a delicate ego. We need to care about "who started what" because these same people who are responsible for such an egregious early failure are still largely in charge and continue to make substantial failures. Pretending that doesn't matter won't fix things. Pretending that there isn't a deeply political core to the problem or that it can simply be ignored misses how this entire thing, from the lack of testing to taking the problem seriously to getting supplies to the Congressional response, is to miss most of the story.

Edited by StrangeSox
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, StrangeSox said:

Yeah, he's playing nice because he knows you've got appease the toddler's ego or he will make you and your state suffer fatal consequences.

Edit: you can't really ignore politics here. It's an inherently political situation controlled largely by politicians. Politicians who have failed massively and continue to fail deserve criticism, not praise for a delicate ego.

And like I said...someone needs to break the vicious cycle and stop PRETENDING that this is a one sided conversation. Both sides continue to do this...PERIOD.  So thank god someone was finally a grownup and acted kindly and wow, the president acted kindly in response. Could we actually try to do this more?  God that would be a fucking great outcome of this entire mess.  

None of us would allow our children to do what either side of the aisle does in this day and age. None of us. Politicians need a reminder of the golden rules and we need to start voting more that way (vs. focusing on absolutisms).  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Tony said:

Jas, Newsom has done a great job, but like others have said, it's because he knows how the play the game with Trump. You have to kiss the ring in order to "get in good" with the President. It shouldn't matter what any state has said about the President in the past, the Federal Government should be doing everything in their power to support each state. 

And Newsome was historically vicious to Trump.  Fact is he bucked up and did something and the president responded kindly as well. Takes two to tango. It isn't like the president responded with, its about time you figured out how amazing I am. Instead, he actually flashed back and commended the job a Democratic governor was doing.  Geeze - I wonder what would happen if more politicians behaved this way (Trump and all parties included).  I guarantee we'd see a lot more progress than the current state of affairs.  

14 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

And like I said...someone needs to break the vicious cycle and stop PRETENDING that this is a one sided conversation. Both sides continue to do this...PERIOD.  So thank god someone was finally a grownup and acted kindly and wow, the president acted kindly in response. Could we actually try to do this more?  God that would be a fucking great outcome of this entire mess.  

None of us would allow our children to do what either side of the aisle does in this day and age. None of us. Politicians need a reminder of the golden rules and we need to start voting more that way (vs. focusing on absolutisms).  

I do not think it's actually a good thing that governors need to placate the toddler in charge with kind words or risk him deliberately depriving their state's residents of crucial aid during a pandemic. In fact, I think that is an extremely terrible thing and a core part of why the federal government continues to mismanage this thing so horribly.

Let me be blunt: Trump's mishandling is going to cause thousands of unnecessary American deaths. His fragile ego is causing suffering in multiple states across the nation. He and his failed administration deserves every bit of criticism they've gotten for this and more. That some governors correctly recognize that the person at the top of the federal government is so unfit to lead that they need to shower him with praise or risk his wrath is a damning indictment. I understand the tough position that Trump's malfeasance puts people like Newsome in, so I get why they are choosing the placate the toddler so he doesn't block medical supplies. But the problem is still inherently political and it still points to damning failures in one particular direction.

This isn't the "golden rule" at play here. It's the head of the federal government very clearly putting American lives at risk if he doesn't get the flattery he wants. Failures in leadership and management, especially those with such dire consequences, should never be immune from criticism. 

Edited by StrangeSox
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

And Newsome was historically vicious to Trump.  Fact is he bucked up and did something and the president responded kindly as well. Takes two to tango. It isn't like the president responded with, its about time you figured out how amazing I am. Instead, he actually flashed back and commended the job a Democratic governor was doing.  Geeze - I wonder what would happen if more politicians behaved this way (Trump and all parties included).  I guarantee we'd see a lot more progress than the current state of affairs.  

Absolutely.  CNN has become basically unreadable during this outbreak.  Everything is non-stop finger pointing and government shaming.  I’m appalled.  Like don’t these people have kids?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Sure, but it's a lot easier for leaders to change their tone. 

When I read what you'd written, Charlottesville came to mind almost immediately.

But this isn't about states' rights vs. Federalism.   It's bout clarity.   About everyone being on the same side... pulling in the same direction.   We also have to waste time educating governors about asymptomatic transmission or the dangers to the elderly of attending church services in Florida. 

Everyone should act like they have it Covid and behave accordingly... and thank God they don't.   At a certain point, there has to be a strategic plan for getting through the next four months, and especially beyond instead of reacting. 

Governors are going to have to work together to share equipment after peaks are over... and avoid too many peaks occurring simultaneously to prevent the entire health care system from collapsing.   Decide on a mask policy and stick with it.   Stop bidding up the prices of ventilators to $50,000 but agree to a framework for the order in which critical areas will need them. 

Unfortunately, we're still going to be dealing with states on the back end of this who waited too long because they didn't have surveillance testing to warn of a tsunami coming (see Albany,GA) before it was too late. 

15 minutes ago, Jerksticks said:

Absolutely.  CNN has become basically unreadable during this outbreak.  Everything is non-stop finger pointing and government shaming.  I’m appalled.  Like don’t these people have kids?

It's because they DO have kids.  They don't want to see a health care system so decimated (think of all the doctors and nurses dying in Italy from performing so many intubations) that there's not just a threadbare framework left to save their kids or elderly parents when this is all over.