COVID-19/Coronavirus thread

caulfield12

11 minutes ago, soxfan2014 said:

I heard Lawrence Holmes was rough to listen to. He was pissed at the score for canning a few people and asking employees to take paycuts. At least Julie DiCaro was fired (and in the most JD way, made it about how shes a woman).

Bernstein was wrestling back tears for a good fifteen minutes. 

1 hour ago, Chisoxfn said:

He absolutely should. But so should the other side.  Everyone needs to look in the mirror and step up and put the rest of the crap behind them. Lets not pretend that Governors shouldn't be great leaders too. Onus is one everyone to step up.  EVERYONE.  

You are acting like because a governor is criticizing a response they are also being vindictive in refusing to work with the admin. They are working with them every day and on conference calls every day with the cdc and others in the admin seeking clarity and making requests. They aren't refusing to work with trump, they ARE working with him. The question is whether they are allowed to point out deficiencies in the response, I guess?

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, turnin' two said:

Just to play devil's advocate, that plan, you know, didn't work too well for Mr. Lincoln.  

(Please don't take this too seriously, it was completely meant in jest...)

Yeah historically that led to a pretty quick death of Reconstruction and then nearly a century of brutal Jim Crow rule over the South. Pretty good example of where placating and playing nice can lead to much worse outcomes, if anything.

3 hours ago, mqr said:

Probably short on data but that positive cases line looks pretty linear at this point in spite of the explosion of tests. 

So I made this yesterday, if we smoothed it out, it's definitely still increasing but only doubling around every 4-5 days at this point.

Tests wise, still way short of 10k a day. Averaging up only around 4k. Excited for numbers here in 20 minutes. 

Screen Shot 2020-04-03 at 2.08.42 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-04-03 at 2.11.55 PM.png

44 minutes ago, soxfan2014 said:

I heard Lawrence Holmes was rough to listen to. He was pissed at the score for canning a few people and asking employees to take paycuts. At least Julie DiCaro was fired (and in the most JD way, made it about how shes a woman).

Sports radio acting shocked and upset there are layoffs.  Can they explain to me any reason why I would want to listen to The Score right now?  There’s no freaking sports to discuss!!!  And I don’t listen to sports radio to hear those clowns discuss politics.  They are barely good at discussing sports.

• Haha 1

After Pearl Harbor FDR made it clear that the states would have to handle their own responses. Now people are trying to change that just to get back at Trump. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Jerksticks said:

Absolutely.  CNN has become basically unreadable during this outbreak.  Everything is non-stop finger pointing and government shaming.  I’m appalled.  Like don’t these people have kids?

CNN is fake news at this point. It's a shame what has become with them.  Completely unwatchable. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, pcq said:

After Pearl Harbor FDR made it clear that the states would have to handle their own responses. Now people are trying to change that just to get back at Trump. 

What exactly did the other 49 states have to respond to after Pearl Harbor? Did they all get bombs dropped on them too and nobody reported it? 

rf.jpg

Just now, Tony said:

I'm not trying to even be a dick, when I hear from someone that the "MSM" is "fake news", which according to the President is ABC, NBC, CBS, CNN, MSNBC, Washington Post, New York Times and others, where do you consume your news? What sources do you consider legitimate in 2020? I'm curious. 

When people present Trump with direct quotes he calls it fake news. That's why Yerine likes him. I already knew Yerine by his anti-social trolling. 

1 hour ago, Iwritecode said:

What exactly did the other 49 states have to respond to after Pearl Harbor? Did they all get bombs dropped on them too and nobody reported it? 

rf.jpg

The war.

They responded to the war.

Of course there's a Maryland nursing home right now with 77/95 infected because they took all their 27 allocated Covid tests away... those places are no better in these situations than the cruise ships. 

My mom's main factor for survival in her assisted living center is pretty much Iowa's relatively remote location. 

And Trump, evidently, can't withhold the impulse to point out that there are fewer automobile accidents this last month...or bringing up the flu again. 

And he never clarified yesterday that the US was PAYING was Russia for the supplies, not a humanitarian donation. 

Edited by caulfield12

5 minutes ago, StrangeSox said:

Alabama finally issues a SAH order, Iowa Governor is still refusing.

The best analogy I've seen of letting each state decide this on their own is that it's like having a "no peeing zone" in a swimming pool.

7 minutes ago, StrangeSox said:

Alabama finally issues a SAH order, Iowa Governor is still refusing.

The recent Georgia and Florida statewide orders override any local orders, so e.g. in Georgia it's actually opening beaches back up.

Probably too busy coming up with some more prescriptive abortion guidelines.   I feel embarrassed to be an Iowan sometimes.   Compared to Reynolds and Steve King, Terry Branstad is almost benign. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Tony said:

Not that I don’t believe the number is fudged, but I thought I read the Chinese were just cremating everyone that died of anything at one point. Which would explain the 24/7 thing. 

32 minutes ago, Tony said:

Well, nobody has held a single funeral in the city of eleven million since January 23rd. 

Undoubtedly, those dying the first 2~3 weeks weren't being caught or were being logged as pneumonia.   Of course, that's the same exact case all around the world. 

But every body was taken away for 10~11 weeks and cremated almost instantly. 

What's the natural attrition rate of a city of 11 million over that time period?

This weekend is the first time since January anyone could go out... and it's also Qingming or tomb sweeping festival.   Which means every family in the city that lost a loved one finally has the opportunity to take the ashes and place them in the cemeteries, and there are only eight of these places in the city.   It's a cultural thing.

So you'd have to provide convincing or compelling evidence that NYC, Chicago or LA wouldn't have similar numbers with ZERO citywide funerals from January 23rd through April 4/5/6.

Is it likely that the numbers are underreported, sure?  By a factor of 10~12, no way.   Think of all the people who died because the hospitals were overwhelmed the first month just like what you're going to see in NYC.   Heart attacks and strokes that couldn't access an ambulance or taxi because they weren't available.   Normally, people die here while stuck in traffic jams with no medevac helicopters.  In this case, many couldn't even get out of the house or successfully enlist an ambulance or taxi because all public transportation was shut down. 

In 2015 there were 153,623 deaths in NYC.  That comes to 420.88 a day with heart disease and cancer as leading causes.   So we can divide that 153K by 1/5 (10 weeks) and the number would be around 30,000ish.  Wouldn't be surprised by 8000~12000 deaths that were not counted.   But similar problems with numbers in Italy and Spain.   Some reports those countries are over reporting deaths for a number of reasons.  But 3x the reported numbers absolutely make sense and wouldn't be a surprise, because that would align with the 10% mortality rates in southern Europe. 

Edited by caulfield12

If we had a respirator for every female that Trump has referred to as "nasty" in the last 3+ years, there would be a net surplus of 30,000 now. 

At any rate, we can battle back and forth for the rest of the year about who was more unprepared... states vs. Federal government.   We know what Harry S. Truman would say about that. But arguing we had the biggest economy in the history of the world and getting credit for having his signature on every check that goes out? 

They really should just have a camera and no press at these briefings.   Just present information from non-politicians.   

Edited by caulfield12
  • Like 1