COVID-19/Coronavirus thread

caulfield12

Bad and good news today.

While it dropped to 899, we still seem to be ascending, now around 900-1000 new cases per day compared to 400-500 last week.

The good news - we seem to be comfortably at 5k tests per day. That is the 50% point of the 10k tests per day goal.

Looks like the US will hit 10,000 confirmed deaths tomorrow, if not tonight. The first death occurred on February 29th, just over a month ago. Running around 1200-1300 per day right now and still accelerating (albeit more slowly, which is the good news). And this is WITH the lockdown procedures in place across a fair amount of the country for the last few weeks.

I STILL see a few people in my social media feeds saying we shouldn't be locked down like this, everything should open back up, and this is basically not a big deal. Not just contesting the extent of lockdown mind you, but dismissing all or nearly all of it as unnecessary. The power of denial in a still-large swath of the population is stunning to me. They are getting fewer, but still so many.

https://thehill.com/homenews/state-watch/490908-florida-other-states-allowing-church-services-during-coronavirus

Absolutely infuriating and embarrassing. The politicians and pastors allowing and encouraging this are criminals. These pastors just see this as an opportunity to prey on the weak and extract more money from them. It's time these enterprises start getting taxed. 

• Like 1

On 4/3/2020 at 7:35 PM, Moan4Yoan said:

You just compared a government removing organs from innocent people who are hated due to their religion to not coming up with contingency plans for people who ILLEGALLY (yes, that means breaking the law) enter another country for work.  Amazing comparison.  🤣

And I will throw your absolutely ridiculous comparison out the window and still consider your overall statement -- why in the hell is any person who ILLEGALLY entered this country entitled to the government giving them something better (a.k.a. a free handout), as opposed to worrying about legitimate U.S. citizens?  They are here ILLEGALLY which means they shouldn't even be here in the first place.  I blame the corrupt business owners that are employing these ILLEGAL immigrants, not the U.S. government.  But apparently, the U.S. government should give better jobs and free healthcare to people who shouldn't even be in this country in the first place?  Makes a lot of sense...

Do you really care who you get the virus from? If they are within our borders, to keep everyone safe, everyone needs health care for the virus.So if you are worried about legitimate US citizens then you need to be worried about everyone here. 

While some businesses do knowingly hire undocumented workers (do we call murders illegals? it just seems weird calling someone illegal) a lot of businesses fall victim to counterfeit papers. We don't call a retail store corrupt for accepting a counterfeit $20 so I'm not certain calling every company who is found to have someone working for them without paperwork corrupt. 

Finally, our agriculture industry will collapse without migrant labor. If you recall just a couple months ago we had RECORD employment numbers. Greatest in history according to our President. If what Trump said is true, than it seems as if we are doing just fine with those workers here. Perhaps we should find a way that it makes more economic sense for someone to come here and work a minimum wage job than the current system that makes more sense to come here and take a high paying job. Currently we accept the foreign born doctor but want to make certain when the doctor hires a yardman or a nanny that it be an American kid. How about we create a system that does the opposite. Protects high paying jobs with a cheaper, more streamlined process for lower skill jobs. 

Back to the pandemic.

1 hour ago, Yearnin' for Yermin said:

https://thehill.com/homenews/state-watch/490908-florida-other-states-allowing-church-services-during-coronavirus

Absolutely infuriating and embarrassing. The politicians and pastors allowing and encouraging this are criminals. These pastors just see this as an opportunity to prey on the weak and extract more money from them. It's time these enterprises start getting taxed. 

Who you will be taxing are the people who attend those services. The party that does that will never win another election. It also opens the door to taxing all non profits. Again, harming those people that donate to causes they believe in. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Yearnin' for Yermin said:

I passed by a church in Florida earlier today with a fuckton of cars in the parking lot and I couldn’t understand what was going on.  I’m not religious but I respect people’s right to believe whatever the fuck they want as long as it’s not harmful to others.  Refusing to practice their faith over the internet / safety of their own home is the opposite of loving thy neighbor.  The amount of ignorant people and cowardly politicians in this country is truly outstanding.

Edited by Chicago White Sox
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, mqr said:

lmao

Turns out the anti Federalists were right all along!

I think it's probably bad for the President to be pushing the FDA and CDC on what drugs to research based on Facebook posts his son in law saw, but that's just me.

• Haha 2

32 minutes ago, StrangeSox said:

I think it's probably bad for the President to be pushing the FDA and CDC on what drugs to research based on Facebook posts his son in law saw, but that's just me.

Naw, you don't need them fancy degrees to know which end of a mule to kick. 

1 hour ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I passed by a church in Florida earlier today with a fuckton of cars in the parking lot and I couldn’t understand what was going on.  I’m not religious but I respect people’s right to believe whatever the fuck they want as long as it’s not harmful to others.  Refusing to practice their faith over the internet / safety of their own home is the opposite of loving thy neighbor.  The amount of ignorant people and cowardly politicians in this country is truly outstanding.

My parents watch Mass on TV on Sunday morning and then also watch my cousin’s Lutheran service for his sermon in their pool in Florida.

To that idiot in the CNN clip, there is absolutely no reason to leave your home to attend services, if you want to see your friends do a video chat or watch the service online. Don’t be an ignorant moron and risk getting others sick!

Edited by The Beast
  • Like 1

On 4/3/2020 at 7:35 PM, Moan4Yoan said:

You just compared a government removing organs from innocent people who are hated due to their religion to not coming up with contingency plans for people who ILLEGALLY (yes, that means breaking the law) enter another country for work.  Amazing comparison.  🤣

And I will throw your absolutely ridiculous comparison out the window and still consider your overall statement -- why in the hell is any person who ILLEGALLY entered this country entitled to the government giving them something better (a.k.a. a free handout), as opposed to worrying about legitimate U.S. citizens?  They are here ILLEGALLY which means they shouldn't even be here in the first place.  I blame the corrupt business owners that are employing these ILLEGAL immigrants, not the U.S. government.  But apparently, the U.S. government should give better jobs and free healthcare to people who shouldn't even be in this country in the first place?  Makes a lot of sense...

Yet this administration is rushing to shove money at companies who refuse to register inside of the United States because they don't want to follow our laws.

https://www.axios.com/coronavirus-hydroxychloroquine-white-house-01306286-0bbc-4042-9bfe-890413c6220d.html

Fringe economist Peter Navarro is attempting to intervene with his gut health care advice that has literally zero grounding in sound scientific testing methods.

God help us all.

We get the government we deserve when people don’t pay enough attention to exactly what it is that they’re voting for, which is Jared Kushner masquerading as a logistics/procurement expert and Navarro rampaging like a bull through a China (figuratively) shop.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/05/opinions/coronavirus-wealthy-false-security-vicky-ward-opinion/index.html

For some of the rich I speak to, a more urgent headache than the symptom of the virus is the possible ramifications of the economic shutdown — but even that may be much less meaningful than you'd think given the tax break some are getting from the stimulus package. A clause in the bill allows commercial real estate developers to offset paper losses from the depreciation of their buildings against taxes on profits from other investments like the stock market. A New York Times report says the estimated cost of the change over 10 years is $170 billion.

One real estate mogul told me that he cracked open the champagne beside the pool the day the CARES Act was passed by Congress.

"Some people are going to get very rich out of this," says someone else I know in the health care supplies business.

Harvard-trained epidemiologist Dr. Ashwin Vasan told me that he's heard disturbing stories of wealthy individuals procuring their own ventilators. This at a time governors of hard-hit states say they're about to run out of their own essential supplies.

Edited by caulfield12
  • Like 3

While I think what the president is saying about chloroquine and remsidivir(?) very irresponsible...

I can’t take the side of “he should just wait for the FDA” after this debacle. At the very least, the gov should ensure mass production of those drugs with the assumption they work, so if they do they can be administered at scale.

It is good that there are no roadblocks for doctors to prescribe either of these hydrochloroquine as long as their is availability, but if a new drug shows promise, the fda is going to put it on like a 2 year schedule.

16 minutes ago, bmags said:

While I think what the president is saying about chloroquine and remsidivir(?) very irresponsible...

I can’t take the side of “he should just wait for the FDA” after this debacle. At the very least, the gov should ensure mass production of those drugs with the assumption they work, so if they do they can be administered at scale.

It is good that there are no roadblocks for doctors to prescribe either of these hydrochloroquine as long as their is availability, but if a new drug shows promise, the fda is going to put it on like a 2 year schedule.

Ther is something very fishy going on with that particular drug. And I think it involves a former mayor of NYC.

2 minutes ago, Flash said:

That would be interesting. Any basis for your thoughts on this?

Just reading some things, nothing that I would consider to be 100% credible, but Giuliani is touting it whenever he is on TV. In Russia, yes Russia, they call it a cure, and even though they don’t have ventilators, the Trump administration has 29 million doses of this stuff. Wouldn’t surprise me if some hands were in the cookie jar.

4 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

Just reading some things, nothing that I would consider to be 100% credible, but Giuliani is touting it whenever he is on TV. In Russia, yes Russia, they call it a cure, and even though they don’t have ventilators, the Trump administration has 29 million doses of this stuff. Wouldn’t surprise me if some hands were in the cookie jar.

Pretty sure the trump org tried to acquire multiple companies that are working on developing this cure, and has yet to find success doing so.   And that's certainly not strange at all

18 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

Ther is something very fishy going on with that particular drug. And I think it involves a former mayor of NYC.

Oh they are definitely doing something shady. But chloroquine and others were used in China too, so I don’t think it should be discounted.

mainly I don’t think people should back into thinking the FDA will handle this well, they’ve been a disaster.

Trump is touting experimental drugs for COVID-19, saying they're 'not going to hurt' people. But the drugs have severe side effects, and misuse has led to poisoning and even death

Dr. Anthony Fauci, the director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases who is a member of Trump's White House coronavirus task force, told CBS' "Face the Nation" earlier Sunday that evidence of the drug's effectiveness against COVID-19 was anecdotal.

"In terms of science, I don't think we could definitively say it works," he said.

Let’s see if Dr. Fauci is at the press briefings this week. Hopefully someone in Trump’s circle or in his investments doesn’t create a vaccine and instead scientists at an agency or other company do so. 

12 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

https://thehill.com/homenews/administration/491260-giuliani-touts-experimental-coronavirus-treatment-in-private

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/giuliani-a-familiar-voice-in-trumps-ear-promotes-experimental-coronavirus-treatments/2020/04/05/d4b3b56a-7438-11ea-85cb-8670579b863d_story.html

Always follow the money with this administration...Navarro has adopted this same obsession as the Federal stockpilbe has grown to something like 29 million doses.

8 minutes ago, bmags said:

Oh they are definitely doing something shady. But chloroquine and others were used in China too, so I don’t think it should be discounted.

mainly I don’t think people should back into thinking the FDA will handle this well, they’ve been a disaster.

They spent more time with antibodies and platelets from recovered patients, Remdesivir, antivirals/antiretrovirals.

To say it was widespread would definitely not be the case.

Dr. Fauci was muzzled yesterday.  He had a direct question on the drug and Trump basically jumped in front and stopped him from answering.

Something’s gotta give the way things are going, probably when the US passes Italy for most deaths in the next 7-10 days.   Unless Fauci does a Mattis/Kelly/Tillerson and argues it’s better to stay and bite his tongue than become co-opted to the extent Dr. Birx has.   Can’t serve a political and scientific master simultaneously.

Edited by caulfield12