COVID-19/Coronavirus thread

caulfield12

3 hours ago, Jerksticks said:

Ok I’m going to bet it all on Hydroxychloroquine and blood transfusions being the preferred treatment very shortly, with tremendous results.

I’m fully buying in to this being a blood disorder affecting your hemoglobin’s ability to bond to oxygen and transport it in your red blood cells.  There is no pneumonia whatsoever.    

This makes the most sense to me by far, so far.  Anybody else all over this?  

My money is on the Gates Foundation trials...

31 minutes ago, bmags said:

Chicago started releasing hospitalization numbers:

3,680 people have been hospitalized with COVID-19, with 12,262 reported cases, that's a 30% hospitalization rate.

I think that illustrates we are probably still undercounting by quite a bit. I thought hospitalization was anticipated around 10-12%.

Only 4k tests today, I'm not sure we'll hit 10k/day by eow, though I expect a jump tomorrow.

edit: it looks like 30% really is common at this point. Either, again, reflection of undercounting or reflection of poor US health. But yeah, 30% getting hospitalized is a LOT.

It was running 15% pretty consistently throughout Asia, closer to 18-20% in Italy, Spain, France, etc.

Checks stock market and shakes head after all the day’s news about Boris Johnson and record-setting deaths. Is it all based on EU rates slowing down, or yet another suckers’ rally? 

Edited by caulfield12

3 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

It was running 15% pretty consistently throughout Asia, closer to 18-20% in Italy, Spain, France, etc.

Right, but I can't totally discount it being poor US health outcomes. I'd guess 80% likelihood - undercounting. 20%...obesity, diabetes, etc.

22 minutes ago, bmags said:

Right, but I can't totally discount it being poor US health outcomes. I'd guess 80% likelihood - undercounting. 20%...obesity, diabetes, etc.

Well, this os something that should have been anticipated weeks ago looking at even limited Chinese, South Korean and Italian/Spanish data.

More men, almost 2x die, over 50-60 predominantly, smoking and preexisting conditions...plus the extreme results amongst the lower socioeconomic economic ladders who don’t have access to consistently high-quality health care.  How often do we talk about the much lower preventive care costs associated with health care, vs. emergency reactive interventions when the damage has already been done and it’s too late?

Media cannot ask any questions that are not positive and affirming?  And the confusion over small business loan rollout...

US cannot “show any weakness” in terms of the USS Theodore Roosevelt, because it’s a great, amazing modern nuclear powered ship we should instead be proud of...sigh.

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/jamie-dimon-on-covid-19-crisis-114330705.html

“As a nation, we were clearly not equipped for this global pandemic, and the consequences have been devastating,” Dimon wrote in his firm’s widely-read annual letter to JPMorgan shareholders. 

Dimon wrote: “Our inner city schools don’t graduate half of their students and don’t give our children an education that leads to a livelihood; our healthcare system is increasingly costly with many of our citizens lacking any access; and nutrition and personal health aren’t even being taught at many schools. Obesity has become a national scourge. We have a litigation and regulatory system that cripples small businesses with red tape and bureaucracy; ineffective infrastructure planning and investment; and huge waste and inefficiency at both the state and federal levels. We have failed to put proper immigration policies in place; our social safety nets are poorly designed; and the share of wages for the bottom 30% of Americans has effectively been going down.”

“We need to acknowledge these problems and the damage they have done if we are ever going to fix them,” he said.

Edited by caulfield12

I’m not sure you could have deliberately picked someone with a more ill-suited temperament...and complete lack of empathy/compassion, to guide our country in these trying times.

He just cannot handle challenging questions from ANY female reporters with calling the nasty or horrid.

Makes me appreciate all the other presidents (even GW) going back to Nixon that much more.

I mean...it’s not like we didn’t have the swine flu epidemic in 2009...and an obstructionist Congress.  Not sure who exactly was for rebuilding our stockpiles of PPE and ventilators at that point.  It’s not like we haven’t had a majority of governorships and state legislatures in control of the GOP from 2010 onwards...and a major shift didn’t begin to occur before January, 2019.

https://www.scmp.com/news/china/article/3078669/one-virus-caused-covid-19-scientists-say-thousands-more-are-waiting

Coronavirus: One virus caused Covid-19. Scientists say thousands more are in waiting

Coronavirus has forced changes on all levels of society, and shown how being able to ship goods and people around the world in 24 hours helps viruses spread

The second part of our series on lessons learned from the pandemic looks at the importance of identifying new viruses and the risks of them infecting humans

Edited by caulfield12
  • Like 2

35 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

I’m not sure you could have deliberately picked someone with a more ill-suited temperament...and complete lack of empathy/compassion, to guide our country in these trying times.

Here is what is ticks me off. When the Flint situation happened, the Michigan governor should have moved heaven and earth to solve the problem. He didn't. When this crisis began, Trump should have moved heaven and earth to at least address the problem and he didn't. I don't have a whole lot of admiration for politicians, but for once I'd like to see them act like human beings. How about this for a change? Instead of a person with perceived charisma, why don't we elect someone who cares? At least a little bit.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

Honestly, this makes a ton of sense.  It is one of the very few things he has been consistent on throughout this time period.  It also follows from when he tried to buy another potential cure/treatment in Germany previously.  We all know this President is perfectly willing to profit off of the backs of the American people, and he will disregard conflict of interest to do it.  There might not be any proof out there at this time, but his actions sure open him up to a higher level of scrutiny and suspicion than literally every single other American President in history who divided their personal interests into a separate and untouchable trust while they were President to avoid conflict of interest.  Trump doesn't get that benefit of the doubt because of his own actions to this point.

I get my kicks reading some of the outrageous posts made here.  Trump was rich before he became POTUS and will be rich long after he is out of office.  Meanwhile, the Obamas who earned less than a combined $300K per year before entering the White House now have a net worth of $40 million dollars.  Do I even need to bother discussing the Clintons?  There’s definitely no dirty money there!  😂

Edited by Moan4Yoan

6 minutes ago, Moan4Yoan said:

I get my kicks reading some of the outrageous posts made here.  Trump was rich before he became POTUS and will be rich long after he is out of office.  Meanwhile, the Obamas who earned less than a combined $300K per year before entering the White House now have a net worth of $40 million dollars.  Do I even need to bother discussing the Clintons?  There’s definitely no dirty money there!  😂

I get a kick out of the need to deflect everything about the Dear Leader back to something bad about the black guy or woman.

• Like 4

This just in.

Every president other than Jimmy Carter has made millions from book deals and speaking appearances.  He was arguably the worst president, and the best humanitarian.   I think every cent he’s raised has gone back to Habitat for Humanity or church related charities.

Let’s talk about Dick Cheney and Rumsfield and their current stock holdings, it’s not like we haven’t spent $8 trillion on endless Middle East wars since Bush, Sr.

But cue next Pete Schweitzer scandal/expose on the Biden family.

And yet the insider trading stories (Burr/Loeffler) just die from lack of interest...”that’s just the way it is.”

No wonder Money Heist (Spain) is becoming one of the most popular shows around the world.

Edited by caulfield12

8 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

I get a kick out of the need to deflect everything about the Dear Leader back to something bad about the black guy or woman.

“Black guy or woman?”  I will preemptively excuse you of your veiled accusation of racism.  But the Obamas were most recently in the White House prior to Trump.  I also mentioned the Clintons, just in case you missed it.

Serious question though — how are some people going to handle the next four years of their lives once Trump is re-elected?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Why make it about race when his statement had nothing to do with race? This is the type of stuff that turns moderates off. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Moan4Yoan said:

“Black guy or woman?”  I will preemptively excuse you of your veiled accusation of racism.  But the Obamas were most recently in the White House prior to Trump.  I also mentioned the Clintons, just in case you missed it.

Serious question though — how are some people going to handle the next four years of their lives once Trump is re-elected?

No need to excuse it. 

• Like 1

Just now, Yearnin' for Yermin said:

Why make it about race when his statement had nothing to do with race? This is the type of stuff that turns moderates off. 

Funny, as a person pretty firmly in between the two parties,  it is exactly this kind of stuff that drove me out of the GOP after decades. I can't support a party that is afraid to even sort of criticize their leader out of fear. Nope as soon as it starts, the denizens start in on Obama or Clinton. It is disgusting. 

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, Moan4Yoan said:

Same way I handled the last 3 years, try and do good, try and set a good example, do what I can to blunt the damage to society.

I dont even think his greatest enemy could have predicted the damage he would do to our society.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Yearnin' for Yermin said:

SS2k isnt some liberal fanboy, he just refused to drink the kool aid and sell out his country and his beliefs.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 2

Just now, southsider2k5 said:

Funny, as a person pretty firmly in between the two parties,  it is exactly this kind of stuff that drove me out of the GOP after decades. I can't support a party that is afraid to even sort of criticize their leader out of fear. Nope as soon as it starts, the denizens start in on Obama or Clinton. It is disgusting. 

Understandable. Doesn't help that Trump will basically try to ruin your political career if you are in the GOP and criticize him. Most of them have lost their backbones. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Wait, earlier I supported Trump because I was racist.  Now, I support him out of fear?  Which is it?

Edited by Moan4Yoan

1 hour ago, Moan4Yoan said:

One thing we know about rich people, especially those with a bunch of scams in their past, is that they hate accumulating even more money any way possible.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Moan4Yoan said:

Wait, earlier I supported Trump because I was racist.  Now, I support him out of fear?  Which is it?

You’re an elected official now?  Well, that would only make sense, since your dear elected leader spends more time following the way he’s bring covered and wasting everyones’ time holding briefings on national t.v. than he does solving the actual problems.   Recently, he’s taken to not even letting the actual health experts talk.

He has had some really great/amazing/beautiful/perfect phone calls, I guess.

Lots of genuflecting and expressions of appreciation from the “good” governors...

We’re in month five of this and there’s still no agreed-upon plan, just posturing to treat any death count under 240k as a victory, all the failures to be attributed to the mayors in urban areas/Dem governors/MSM/Federal Reserve/Biden corruption/deep state cabals, like the Inspector General of HHS who has been in government since 1999 and has served in a nonpartisan fashion over multiple presidencies of both parties.

Edited by caulfield12
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2