COVID-19/Coronavirus thread

caulfield12

1 hour ago, Moan4Yoan said:

I get my kicks reading some of the outrageous posts made here.  Trump was rich before he became POTUS and will be rich long after he is out of office.  Meanwhile, the Obamas who earned less than a combined $300K per year before entering the White House now have a net worth of $40 million dollars.  Do I even need to bother discussing the Clintons?  There’s definitely no dirty money there!  😂

Obama was an associate at one of the biggest Law Firms in the world prior to Politics. Obama would have done just fine in the Private Sector. 

Trump has looked for ways to profit his entire life; why you pretend it's outrageous to accuse him of attempting to further his wealth with his position, despite countless examples of him doing exactly that, is truly baffling.

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run

14 minutes ago, Quin said:

Oh my fucking god.

I used to think Haley would get the VP nod this time around, but Ingraham’s quickly picking up speed.

Fortunately, Trump is so stubborn and insistent that he’s always right that it won’t allow him to countenance a change.  That and the fact that he’s immediately threatened by those getting so much positive attention, like Dr. Fauci, like Governor Cuomo.

It wouldn’t work because she was too independent at the UN, as she ramps up her shadow campaign for 2024. 

• Like 1

Really bad news for Wisconsin. Conservative courts are forcing people to choose between their health or their right to vote. Several Republican politicians including the president have been explicit that they reject mail voting purely on the grounds that it may help Democrats.

Milwaukee already announced that they're going from their typical 190 or so polling places to.... five. How can anyone consider the results of tomorrow's election in Wisconsin legitimate?

Edited by StrangeSox
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Moan4Yoan said:

“Black guy or woman?”  I will preemptively excuse you of your veiled accusation of racism.  But the Obamas were most recently in the White House prior to Trump.  I also mentioned the Clintons, just in case you missed it.

Serious question though — how are some people going to handle the next four years of their lives once Trump is re-elected?

The same way we have lived the last few years. Criticizing and trolling his stupid ass when he does or says something stupid. Praising him when he does something good, which is rare (at least for me).

Edited by The Beast

1 hour ago, Yearnin' for Yermin said:

Why make it about race when his statement had nothing to do with race? This is the type of stuff that turns moderates off. 

Exactly, along with any far left or far right partisan points or attacks.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Obama was an associate at one of the biggest Law Firms in the world prior to Politics. Obama would have done just fine in the Private Sector. 

Trump has looked for ways to profit his entire life; why you pretend it's outrageous to accuse him of attempting to further his wealth with his position, despite countless examples of him doing exactly that, is truly baffling.

That's the irony here. The Trump family fortune is very much because of the government.  Fred Trump made his money on section 8 housing. Donald enhanced his fortune with tax fraud to launder money from his father to the kids. He also took tons of government money in all of his building projects.  Now he is office and pushing public and campaign funds through his businesses so that he can be the 1st President in his to profit off of the office WHILE STILL IN OFFICE.  

He quite literally is the second generation of welfare queen in his family. The difference is the Trump scope is in the billions instead of thousands like most of the people he looks down on. The best part is the cult army that makes excuses for him, while seeing their paychecks laundered to him.

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, Tony said:

”I’m all in” 

The Journal is now ranked 15th out of 89 journals in the Infectious Diseases category, 25th out of 123 journals in the Microbiology category and 41st out of 253 journals in the Pharmacology & Pharmacy category of the Clarivate Analytics Journal Citation Reports.

From their own website, btw

That’s good enough for America!

22 minutes ago, Tony said:

”I’m all in” 

Lol.  It has nothing to do with trump.  It has everything to do with the Doctors of the world talking to each other on Twitter. 

The blood angle is fascinating.  Oh whoops, did a peon like me find something a doctor said interesting again. 🤫

1 hour ago, StrangeSox said:

Really bad news for Wisconsin. Conservative courts are forcing people to choose between their health or their right to vote. Several Republican politicians including the president have been explicit that they reject mail voting purely on the grounds that it may help Democrats.

Milwaukee already announced that they're going from their typical 190 or so polling places to.... five. How can anyone consider the results of tomorrow's election in Wisconsin legitimate?

This is all to keep one conservative judge on the state Supreme Court. 

37 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

That's the irony here. The Trump family fortune is very much because of the government.  Fred Trump made his money on section 8 housing. Donald enhanced his fortune with tax fraud to launder money from his father to the kids. He also took tons of government money in all of his building projects.  Now he is office and pushing public and campaign funds through his businesses so that he can be the 1st President in his to profit off of the office WHILE STILL IN OFFICE.  

He quite literally is the second generation of welfare queen in his family. The difference is the Trump scope is in the billions instead of thousands like most of the people he looks down on. The best part is the cult army that makes excuses for him, while seeing their paychecks laundered to him.

He would probably be richer if he just invested the money that he laundered in instead of creating all of the ventures that failed and went bankrupt.  

2 minutes ago, G&T said:

This is all to keep one conservative judge on the state Supreme Court. 

Yup.

The facts of the case are that there was a spike in absentee ballot requests. They have to be postmarked on their way back to elections officials by the time polls close tomorrow. The problem is that 12k ballots that were requested on time still haven't even been mailed out. So 12k Wisconsin residents are going to have their votes suppressed though zero failure on their own unless they want to risk their lives to go to a polling place tomorrow.

This also gives a green light to all sorts of shady tactics come November, "oops we're backlogged, couldn't mail any ballots for Milwaukee, sorry!"

4 hours ago, bmags said:

Chicago started releasing hospitalization numbers:

3,680 people have been hospitalized with COVID-19, with 12,262 reported cases, that's a 30% hospitalization rate.

I think that illustrates we are probably still undercounting by quite a bit. I thought hospitalization was anticipated around 10-12%.

Only 4k tests today, I'm not sure we'll hit 10k/day by eow, though I expect a jump tomorrow.

edit: it looks like 30% really is common at this point. Either, again, reflection of undercounting or reflection of poor US health. But yeah, 30% getting hospitalized is a LOT.

Thank you for posting this stuff.  I have to say this is the relevant information that I look for when I come into this thread.  Thanks again.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, StrangeSox said:

Illinois did the same thing right?  Politicians are politicians.  They will press any advantage they have.  All any of them care about is staying in power.  If you think any politician cares about their constituents, well, I have some real estate to sell you.  

Its ridiculous to move forward with that election.  Just a joke.

Edited by turnin' two

7 minutes ago, turnin' two said:

Illinois did the same thing right?  Politicians are politicians.  They will press any advantage they have.  All any of them care about is staying in power.  If you think any politician cares about their constituents, well, I have some real estate to sell you.  

Its ridiculous to move forward with that election.  Just a joke.

Illinois went ahead with their primary, which was really dumb, but it wasn't the same as this. Because the Illinois primary occurred before things got bad enough for everyone to understand and before there was a shelter in place order, there wasn't a big surge in absentee requests that the state failed to fulfill on time. There wasn't an equivalent situation here with ballot access, and there weren't really important partisan elections like the WI SC seat. It was local referendums and intraparty primary choices.

In parallel to this, Governor Evers arguably waited too long to try to postpone the election, but he did call a special session of the legislature over the weekend. This session was immediately ended by the GOP majority.

Across the country right now, one party is trying to make mail in voting widespread ahead of the November election to address this issue while the other is blocking it. It's a public health issue, and not really a "both sides" thing here. A few politicians of one particular party have been very explicit as to why they oppose this: they believe it'll increase turnout which will be better for their political opponents. Recent election trends show that may not even be true, but that's their clearly stated reason.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, BFirebird said:

He would probably be richer if he just invested the money that he laundered in instead of creating all of the ventures that failed and went bankrupt.  

Tax writeoffs!  For at least a decade.  It would be interesting to see how much money the Trump organization actually invested/risked (they’re more into branding and management fees), how much he’s personally lost, how much money ended up not getting paid to vendors/workers in all the bankruptcies/restructurings and what the real net is....let’s not get started with the attempted charity endeavors.

Probably a lot less than the ROR on the Vanguard 500 Index over that entire time frame.

Edited by caulfield12
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Tony said:

To the surprise of NO ONE......no answer.

Clearly, the guy is just here to get people riled up with illogical whataboutisms, and he's not much better during baseball season. The sooner people realize this and stop quoting him, the less we who have him ignored have to read his nonsense

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Quin said:

Oh my fucking god.

I really don’t get how Fox News somehow became president and how almost everyone on the right went so far right. And this is coming from a former righty who switched to independent. 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, turnin' two said:

Thank you for posting this stuff.  I have to say this is the relevant information that I look for when I come into this thread.  Thanks again.

And obviously, those were Illinois numbers not Chicago 

2 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

I really don’t get how Fox News somehow became president and how almost everyone on the right went so far right. And this is coming from a former righty who switched to independent. 

To be fair most of the left is the same just in the opposite direction.  I myself am independent as well because I don't identify with either party anymore.  I would prefer government more in the middle.  A president that could talk to both sides and come up with compromise that could help out both sides.  I don't get why all of a sudden everyone needs to be correct and it is my way or the highway.  Trump pretty much epitomizes what government has become...hence he gets elected pretty easily.

I felt Klobuchar was the closest thing to someone I can align with politically.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Tony said:

Not sure if "most" is fair, but I agree with you. I've mentioned it a few times in this thread, but "woke" Twitter can be just as obnoxious as those on the far right. 

We need someone to cut the bullshit and bring us way closer to the middle. Just don't think that's realistic in 2020. Really, really hope I'm wrong. 

Maybe I should have said the loudest.  On both sides.

14 minutes ago, Tony said:

Not sure if "most" is fair, but I agree with you. I've mentioned it a few times in this thread, but "woke" Twitter can be just as obnoxious as those on the far right. 

We need someone to cut the bullshit and bring us way closer to the middle. Just don't think that's realistic in 2020. Really, really hope I'm wrong. 

Amen to everything here.

33 minutes ago, Tony said:

I think Biden brings us towards the middle, although he has to appease the far left with policies like the college tuition for families of a certain income. But it doesn’t have to be a Democrat to get my vote for any office, it can be a moderate republican like Kasich or Rauner who could as well.