COVID-19/Coronavirus thread

caulfield12

"Please don't politicize this virus. It exploits the differences you have at the national level. If you want to be exploited and if you want to have many more body bags, then you do it," WHO Director-General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus said at a news conference in Geneva, Switzerland. "If you don't want many more body bags, then you refrain from politicizing it. My short message is: Please quarantine politicizing Covid. The unity of your country will be very important to defeat this dangerous virus."   
https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/08/politics/who-responds-trump-claims-coronavirus/index.html

Uh-oh.  Here comes target #1 for today’s briefing.   #2 should be the private lab companies like Quest and LabCorp for slow processing, maybe Chuck Schumer (just because), Wisconsin governor, MSM, Dem fix against Bernie Sanders.

Edited by caulfield12
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

That is going to create some big problems.  A lot of homes use temp agencies to bring people in when short staffed.  Especially with COVID related illnesses, there will be homes that can't adequately staff up, and dangerously so.

It's a horrible time to be in any type of institutional housing. 

I wonder what America's appetite is for commuting sentences and early releasing thousands of non violent offenders? I imagine there would need top be certain stipulations like a place to live, tested and retested. 

1 minute ago, Texsox said:

I wonder what America's appetite is for commuting sentences and early releasing thousands of non violent offenders? I imagine there would need top be certain stipulations like a place to live, tested and retested. 

I think it's a necessity, but I worry about not being able to monitor those people well enough to prevent an explosion of cases. 

I want to share a story from an odd little corner of the "front line" in this situation, which I have experienced first hand.

Background: I work as a consultant, and sometimes end up with a few weeks of free time between gigs, so I often do volunteer work. Lately, it's been at the Food Bank in my township. My last gig ended at end of February (great timing, lol), next one won't start until May 1st, so I've been going a few times a week.

When I got going in the first full week of March, the major issue they were having was too much back stock. Lots of donations coming in, not enough space. So I was doing a lot of stock reorganization.

In the span of just three weeks, the situation has turned on it's head. Back stock is nearly depleted. Too many customers for the volunteers to keep up. Shortages in key supplies. General chaos and lots of changes to the whole operating situation - we now do the "shopping" and bring out the carts to them, gloves and masks of course, lots of precautions, etc.

I am not sure most people, especially younger people, have an idea of how dramatically fast this is happening. Bad downturns happen, but it usually take months for the situation to change this much, not a few weeks. It is just striking, and not in a good way. It also tells me that any thought of things getting anywhere near back to normal anytime soon should be quashed. We are still very much headed downhill at high velocity and are nowhere near an economic bottom.

13 minutes ago, NorthSideSox72 said:

... any thought of things getting anywhere near back to normal anytime soon should be quashed. We are still very much headed downhill at high velocity and are nowhere near an economic bottom.

Yes. Sadly... yes.

22 minutes ago, Texsox said:

Pritzker already signed an order, as have multiple other states (think California set all bail to $0 in most cases?)

17 minutes ago, NorthSideSox72 said:

I want to share a story from an odd little corner of the "front line" in this situation, which I have experienced first hand.

Background: I work as a consultant, and sometimes end up with a few weeks of free time between gigs, so I often do volunteer work. Lately, it's been at the Food Bank in my township. My last gig ended at end of February (great timing, lol), next one won't start until May 1st, so I've been going a few times a week.

When I got going in the first full week of March, the major issue they were having was too much back stock. Lots of donations coming in, not enough space. So I was doing a lot of stock reorganization.

In the span of just three weeks, the situation has turned on it's head. Back stock is nearly depleted. Too many customers for the volunteers to keep up. Shortages in key supplies. General chaos and lots of changes to the whole operating situation - we now do the "shopping" and bring out the carts to them, gloves and masks of course, lots of precautions, etc.

I am not sure most people, especially younger people, have an idea of how dramatically fast this is happening. Bad downturns happen, but it usually take months for the situation to change this much, not a few weeks. It is just striking, and not in a good way. It also tells me that any thought of things getting anywhere near back to normal anytime soon should be quashed. We are still very much headed downhill at high velocity and are nowhere near an economic bottom.

27 minutes ago, NorthSideSox72 said:

I'm wondering how you determine who receives a donation and what they can receive. I was in a conversation about the meals that our schools were passing out and people who didn't need help were getting in line and receiving food. 

Pardoning Tiger King Joe Exotic?

WTH?

The problem with that IHME model coming down to 61,000 isn’t just social distancing into early June, it’s into August...

WHO never said “everything was going to be fine”...but they waited 7-10 days too long to define it as a pandemic, just like they did with calling it a public health emergency of international concern.  Perhaps in deference to China.   Probably because they didn’t realize how far the penetration was into Europe at that point.

Back to voter fraud.  This time a million in California.   Even though the Kris Kobach commission was disbanded without providing any evidence...the best example was in NC, but that was in aid of the GOP.

Obama knows something about “Sleepy Joe” that you don’t know...lol...that’s why he is not coming out for him.  Sanders wants to honor the rights of his supporters to continue to support him, and to have leverage for the platform in terms of the convention in August, but there’s a decent chance they go to a virtual convention and little attention will be paid...except to the VP and keynote address.

Edited by caulfield12

52 minutes ago, Texsox said:

I'm wondering how you determine who receives a donation and what they can receive. I was in a conversation about the meals that our schools were passing out and people who didn't need help were getting in line and receiving food. 

Our school system had to limit it to a meal kid per kid in the school system.

50 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

WTH?

The problem with that IHME model coming down to 61,000 isn’t just social distancing into early June, it’s into August...

WHO never said “everything was going to be fine”...but they waited 7-10 days too long to define it as a pandemic, just like they did with calling it a public health emergency of international concern.  Perhaps in deference to China.   Probably because they didn’t realize how far the penetration was into Europe at that point.

Back to voter fraud.  This time a million in California.   Even though the Kris Kobach commission was disbanded without providing any evidence...the best example was in NC, but that was in aid of the GOP.

Obama knows something about “Sleepy Joe” that you don’t know...lol...that’s why he is not coming out for him.  Sanders wants to honor the rights of his supporters to continue to support him, and to have leverage for the platform in terms of the convention in August, but there’s a decent chance they go to a virtual convention and little attention will be paid...except to the VP and keynote address.

His voter fraud in Cali thing was full of holes. The study found many names on the voting rolls of dead people, not of a million of those actually voting. It also assumes every supposedly fraudulent vote is for a democrat which seems even more preposterous.

• Like 1

I have quite a bit of hands on experience with voter rolls.  The "voter fraud" claims of the GOP are absurd on the face.  Let's start with the fact that when you register to vote you have to put down a home address.  In order to commit massive voter fraud you'd personally have to registers hundreds if not thousands of addresses already in your county.   You'd then have to go into your polling station, in your district, with either thousands of different people to "cast their vote" or you'd have to come up with a thousand different wigs so you could fool the (granted usually not the most on the ball folks) poll workers and watchers.  And every polling station is well watched by attorneys and legal folks on both sides in my experience.

It's absurd.  As for "mail voter fraud", again, there is a paper trail.  If you somehow stole a thousand mailed letters and changed the votes in all of them you'd have to route every letter through the legit sorting system.  So I guess not only do you sneak into everybody's mailbox for a month straight leading up to the election you then change the vote and DROP IT BACK IN THEIR MAILBOX FOR THE CARRIER TO PICK UP NOBODY THE WISER.

And every single changed vote would be a mail fraud felony.   NOBODY IS DOING THIS.

What the GOP likes to b**** and moan about is people that don't always vote -- so mostly younger folks and minorities and poorer people -- getting kicked off rolls for inactivity.  This mean when they do go to vote, they find they aren't registered because of a needless purge.

What most people don't realize is that the voter files themselves are handled by the State but are hardly a secret!  YOU can request a voter file and get one for a processing fee.  This is not some conspiracy it's in plain sight.  I used to process voter files all day long for my job.  Most of the folks putting these things together don't know the difference between a PDF and a CSV.  

If there are mistakes -- like dead folks on the rolls -- it's incompetence, not malice.

That the POTUS is up there, without any evidence, claiming massive mail in voter fraud and Democratic voter fraud in general sickens me and is a disgusting Fascist attack on US Democracy.

You know who does commit election fraud? The GOP.

Edited by chitownsportsfan
  • Like 4

https://www.yahoo.com/news/hospitals-feds-seizing-masks-other-210748808.html

Here’s the single biggest problem, after the testing.

It’s not having a unified plan on PPE and respirators.   Who’s actually in charge?   Pence?  Gaynor with FEMA?  HHS with Azar?  Jared Kushner?   Rear Admiral John Polowczyk from JCS?

You’ve got the Cuomo Plan of moving respirators and PPE from east to west as the outbreaks peak.

You’ve got states having to bid against each other...exploding prices to 6-7x what they would normally be paying on the open markets.

Once they outbid each other, the Federal govnt seizes or takes over the deals and the equipment disappears.

Then you have the dance of states trying to appreciate the WH in order to get what they want.

Meanwhile, you have all these blue states like NY, Illinois, California, Washington and Oregon collaborating because they see no alternative in order to quickly secure what they need.  Part of it is in reaction to the barrage of criticism coming that the states individually should have been better prepared.   

Now you have Washington, Philly, Baltimore and Houston rising to the fore as the next hot spots.

This simply shouldn’t be happening.   Not to mention half of the supplies the Federal government is securing are then going out to private entities...where?  who?  why?

We’ve supposedly got hundreds of thousands of COVID tests not being used...but everyone keeps reporting they can’t get tested.  The backlogs have been reduced, but the private labs are still overwhelmed trying to get results out.  The Abbott tests are not getting out to Indian Health Services as promised, and only available in 22 states.  

Well, we don’t know have any clue where the problems in the supply chain lie since there’s now officially no oversight of a $2 trillion dollar stimulus package.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, NWINFan said:

It is terrible and I wonder if the idiots in Washington realize what people are going through. Losses like this are always hard, but they are even harder when a grieving family can't lean on other family and friends for comfort.  We are living in fear and anxiety right now and we are getting no help from the powers that be. I have a BA in Political Science and thought I would pursue a career in politics. I didn't because I became convinced it is not a honorable profession. I am more convinced of that now.

I still think that there is value in getting into politics at the local level and volunteering either canvassing or even better, serving as an election judge. I haven’t done that yet but I have worked on campaigns on both sides of the aisles and found the work to be fascinating.

I do think that an honorable profession would more likely be a health profession like nursing though. I would go back to school for that or PT if I could go back in time and do it, but I have considered down the road when the kid(s) we have are grown to helping people in some way, maybe by going back to school for something that helps others. It’s tough to find something honorable sometimes though.

4 hours ago, StrangeSox said:

It seems like the Feds are outbidding for or outright seizing medical equipment ordered by the states and then doling it out as political favors where they deem helpful

“It’s not your stockpile, it is our stockpile and we will dole it out to our GOP Trump loving friends!” - Kushner

3 hours ago, Texsox said:

I have no issue for releasing non violent offenders when they meet conditions given by courts and parole officers. What would be the argument against nonviolent offenders being let out?

3 hours ago, NorthSideSox72 said:

Wow, thank you for sharing. That is a real wonderful thing you’re doing in between consulting gigs and I would love to do something like that since it sounds like it is rewarding. I’m still debating what to do with my stimulus check and at the end of May I should have more free time so I would love to volunteer. How can I or we be helpful if we want to donate our time or money?

1 hour ago, chitownsportsfan said:

I have quite a bit of hands on experience with voter rolls.  The "voter fraud" claims of the GOP are absurd on the face.  Let's start with the fact that when you register to vote you have to put down a home address.  In order to commit massive voter fraud you'd personally have to registers hundreds if not thousands of addresses already in your county.   You'd then have to go into your polling station, in your district, with either thousands of different people to "cast their vote" or you'd have to come up with a thousand different wigs so you could fool the (granted usually not the most on the ball folks) poll workers and watchers.  And every polling station is well watched by attorneys and legal folks on both sides in my experience.

It's absurd.  As for "mail voter fraud", again, there is a paper trail.  If you somehow stole a thousand mailed letters and changed the votes in all of them you'd have to route every letter through the legit sorting system.  So I guess not only do you sneak into everybody's mailbox for a month straight leading up to the election you then change the vote and DROP IT BACK IN THEIR MAILBOX FOR THE CARRIER TO PICK UP NOBODY THE WISER.

And every single changed vote would be a mail fraud felony.   NOBODY IS DOING THIS.

What the GOP likes to b**** and moan about is people that don't always vote -- so mostly younger folks and minorities and poorer people -- getting kicked off rolls for inactivity.  This mean when they do go to vote, they find they aren't registered because of a needless purge.

What most people don't realize is that the voter files themselves are handled by the State but are hardly a secret!  YOU can request a voter file and get one for a processing fee.  This is not some conspiracy it's in plain sight.  I used to process voter files all day long for my job.  Most of the folks putting these things together don't know the difference between a PDF and a CSV.  

If there are mistakes -- like dead folks on the rolls -- it's incompetence, not malice.

That the POTUS is up there, without any evidence, claiming massive mail in voter fraud and Democratic voter fraud in general sickens me and is a disgusting Fascist attack on US Democracy.

You know who does commit election fraud? The GOP.

Thank you for sharing. My only concern with vote by mail is tampering with the mail but I would agree with you that people wouldn’t risk the crime and also think the system in place could detect fraud. I would love to make automatic registration a reality when people are 18 and all people have to do is update their registration when they move. But the suppression tactics that are used are wrong and the crap Trump is spewing about voter ID laws is something some strategist had to have told him about. It’s garbage.

2 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

WTH?

What does Obama know about Biden? Who are VP candidates you think Biden will consider and why?

1 hour ago, The Beast said:

I have no issue for releasing non violent offenders when they meet conditions given by courts and parole officers. What would be the argument against nonviolent offenders being let out?

Wow, thank you for sharing. That is a real wonderful thing you’re doing in between consulting gigs and I would love to do something like that since it sounds like it is rewarding. I’m still debating what to do with my stimulus check and at the end of May I should have more free time so I would love to volunteer. How can I or we be helpful if we want to donate our time or money?

Thank you for sharing. My only concern with vote by mail is tampering with the mail but I would agree with you that people wouldn’t risk the crime and also think the system in place could detect fraud. I would love to make automatic registration a reality when people are 18 and all people have to do is update their registration when they move. But the suppression tactics that are used are wrong and the crap Trump is spewing about voter ID laws is something some strategist had to have told him about. It’s garbage.

What does Obama know about Biden? Who are VP candidates you think Biden will consider and why?

More intimations from Trump about Alzheimer’s/dementia/decreased mental faculties.

I would pick Elizabeth Warren, probably.  And push hard with Medicare for those who want it, but not force anyone to leave their current insurance plans.  The platform would also push for complete portability from job to job, considering how many career dislocations there will be this year and into next. 

Odds are he goes with someone like Klobuchar because she’s the safer choice for securing Midwestern states and more aligned with him politically.

Kamala Harris really doesn’t help that much, IMO.

Stacey Abrams was arguably going to be the Sanders choice, but not yet convinced Georgia is even in play...so maybe she helps with North Carolina, but that’s no sure thing, either.

Biden’s biggest weaknesses are enthusiasm from the left, young people and Hispanics.  Trump will grt his voters come hell or high water.

Which means he need to expand the base.   Winning Florida would be huge.   Warren would help to bridge the divide to the progressive side and motivate young people in ways that Klobuchar will never be able to.

That said, an underdog Hispanic leader like Catherine Cortez Masto (NV) or New Mexico Gov. Michelle Lujan Grisham...Veronica Escobar of Texas would be my REALLY out of left field pick.

So I would choose Warren or one of those three Hispanic candidates...whichever one I had the most rapport with.  Perhaps the one best at public speaking and motivating people oratorically, because that’s another obvious weakness for Biden.   We have to assume in September and October that big campaign rallies return, and surrogates will help...but not as much as a younger, more vibrant leader who Americans could actually imagine taking the reigns, which would favor a governor with experience as an executive in Lujan Grisham.

There are six states (and one congressional district) in Toss-Up: Arizona, Florida, North Carolina, Pennsylvania, Michigan, Wisconsin and Nebraska's 2nd district. Those add up to 102 Electoral votes."

Edited by caulfield12

3 hours ago, Texsox said:

Well I don't work on the business end of that office. But I can tell you the basics. A family needs to register with the food bank, filling out paperwork and proving they are a resident of the township. Once that is established, they go into the system. They come in once a month for a big load, and once a week for smaller loads. How much they get of any given thing depends on their family size, including number of children. And of course then things are conditioned or adapted if the food bank is low or out on some category of food. Also, some families are eligible for a small gift card to go with the groceries, for use on other needs. I don't know the qualifications around that part.

40 minutes ago, The Beast said:

I mean, donating to your local food pantry is a great start. Just find out where your nearest one is. If you're in Chicago, there is the Greater Chicago Food Depository, and other ones. In the suburbs, sometimes it is at the township level, but some villages I think may have their own. Outside the Chicago area I am not sure how it works but there are certainly food pantries, and I am sure they would be happy to take any money or your time that you would offer. Just reach out to them. I'd guess that money is highest priority, then people's time, but it probably depends on the specific situation each organization is in right now.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Jose Abreu said:

Here’s the answer from Chris Murray/IHME/University of Washington.

When there are sixty deaths or less in the entire country from Covid-19.

For Wuhan, they went 14 days with just three local infections total...cases, not deaths.   That’s too extreme to work fir the entire country, but 60 is the number they set.

We just passed Spain, 14,795 to 14,792.   Italy at 17,669.

Edited by caulfield12

I have this dark feeling that If by the end of May they dont have it under control I think they are just going to give up. Im not saying this is the right decision, just I cant see the current administration being able to fight it longer than that. 

This is a self inflected wound and we only have ourselves to blame.

1 hour ago, NorthSideSox72 said:

I mean, donating to your local food pantry is a great start. Just find out where your nearest one is. If you're in Chicago, there is the Greater Chicago Food Depository, and other ones. In the suburbs, sometimes it is at the township level, but some villages I think may have their own. Outside the Chicago area I am not sure how it works but there are certainly food pantries, and I am sure they would be happy to take any money or your time that you would offer. Just reach out to them. I'd guess that money is highest priority, then people's time, but it probably depends on the specific situation each organization is in right now.

I live Woodridge and will ask around. I’d love to volunteer my time in addition to money, especially when this is all over. I’m looking for something rewarding to do, so if you feel it is rewarding, I’ll give it a try. I’ve always wanted to help people in some way.

1 hour ago, caulfield12 said:

More intimations from Trump about Alzheimer’s/dementia/decreased mental faculties.

I would pick Elizabeth Warren, probably.  And push hard with Medicare for those who want it, but not force anyone to leave their current insurance plans.  The platform would also push for complete portability from job to job, considering how many career dislocations there will be this year and into next. 

Odds are he goes with someone like Klobuchar because she’s the safer choice for securing Midwestern states and more aligned with him politically.

Kamala Harris really doesn’t help that much, IMO.

Stacey Abrams was arguably going to be the Sanders choice, but not yet convinced Georgia is even in play...so maybe she helps with North Carolina, but that’s no sure thing, either.

Biden’s biggest weaknesses are enthusiasm from the left, young people and Hispanics.  Trump will grt his voters come hell or high water.

Which means he need to expand the base.   Winning Florida would be huge.   Warren would help to bridge the divide to the progressive side and motivate young people in ways that Klobuchar will never be able to.

That said, an underdog Hispanic leader like Catherine Cortez Masto (NV) or New Mexico Gov. Michelle Lujan Grisham...Veronica Escobar of Texas would be my REALLY out of left field pick.

So I would choose Warren or one of those three Hispanic candidates...whichever one I had the most rapport with.  Perhaps the one best at public speaking and motivating people oratorically, because that’s another obvious weakness for Biden.   We have to assume in September and October that big campaign rallies return, and surrogates will help...but not as much as a younger, more vibrant leader who Americans could actually imagine taking the reigns, which would favor a governor with experience as an executive in Lujan Grisham.

There are six states (and one congressional district) in Toss-Up: Arizona, Florida, North Carolina, Pennsylvania, Michigan, Wisconsin and Nebraska's 2nd district. Those add up to 102 Electoral votes."

Of course Trump and his supporters will focus on Biden’s health, but Trump isn’t much better, especially if he keeps eating cheeseburgers (angry fat ass).

My theory is that Biden wins and turns over the term to the VP during the first half of the term. Warren’s age would not help her with that theory and I would think Trump will just discredit her on the trail. But like you said, his voters will come hell or high water. 

Harris or Abrams make some sense to me, but I am concerned that if Sanders’ supporters (which includes young people, Hispanics and progressive) don’t get someone progressive in there as VP, they will sit at home. That is why Warren or Harris could make sense. Klobuchar makes sense for the Midwest, but I think the VP will be a woman who is a minority. I’m not familiar with the governor of NM or the senator from NV but I read about them today.

They have to win MI and PA to have a shot at this thing. If they get one or two of WI, OH, FL or AZ they could roast him. We will see who he decides on but I hope it is someone younger that can draw from the electorate he needs to win.