COVID-19/Coronavirus thread

caulfield12

12 minutes ago, The Beast said:

Of course Trump and his supporters will focus on Biden’s health, but Trump isn’t much better, especially if he keeps eating cheeseburgers (angry fat ass).

My theory is that Biden wins and turns over the term to the VP during the first half of the term. Warren’s age would not help her with that theory and I would think Trump will just discredit her on the trail. But like you said, his voters will come hell or high water. 

Harris or Abrams make some sense to me, but I am concerned that if Sanders’ supporters (which includes young people, Hispanics and progressive) don’t get someone progressive in there as VP, they will sit at home. That is why Warren or Harris could make sense. Klobuchar makes sense for the Midwest, but I think the VP will be a woman who is a minority. I’m not familiar with the governor of NM or the senator from NV but I read about them today.

They have to win MI and PA to have a shot at this thing. If they get one or two of WI, OH, FL or AZ they could roast him. We will see who he decides on but I hope it is someone younger that can draw from the electorate he needs to win.

Im not sure he can announce that without making himself a lame duck...it’s certainly a unique idea, but it’s rare someone has that power and willingly surrenders it like LBJ did.

Harris has a lot of baggage that came up during the primary, and she’s closer to the middle of the spectrum than a true progressive in the views of some, which would make her more palatable (she did cross Biden aggressively on busing)...her record as a prosecutor especially.

Biden is finally up in FLA polling, and ahead in WI/PA as well.

You essentially need a combination of AOC and Paul Wellstone that doesn’t currently exist.  Mazie Hirono in HA, Baldwin and Duckworth, just not seeing anyone that carries that stature and experience of Warren.  Gillibrand was an early favorite and didnt get any traction at all.

On Wednesday, "Diamond & Silk" posted a tweet. "The only way we can become immune to the environment; we must be out in the environment," the duo declared. "Quarantining people inside of their houses for extended periods will make people sick!" 

Twitter promptly took action against the tweet for violating its rules against coronavirus misinformation. The suggestion from the Fox News personalities is clearly dangerous. People should not be "out in the environment." Twitter required the two to remove the tweet in order to regain access to their account.

But while Twitter was the responsible outlet and declined to allow "Diamond & Silk" to spread their hazardous misinformation on its platform, Fox News fell silent. I sent a Fox News spokesperson requests for comment on the duo's Wednesday tweet. I never heard back. Apparently the request was not even worth a reply.

That's how far down the rabbit hole we are. Where two fairly prominent Fox News personalities — who have been elevated on numerous occasions by the President and Republican lawmakers — can promote wild conspiracy theories and dangerous misinformation and it does not even merit a response from the network's public relations office.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/08/media/fox-news-diamond-and-silk-reliable-sources/index.html

7 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

That said, an underdog Hispanic leader like Catherine Cortez Masto (NV) or New Mexico Gov. Michelle Lujan Grisham...Veronica Escobar of Texas would be my REALLY out of left field pick. So I would choose Warren or one of those three Hispanic candidates...whichever one I had the most rapport with.  Perhaps the one best at public speaking and motivating people oratorically, because that’s another obvious weakness for Biden.  

I agree with cauli on the VP pick and his rationale.  However, I might be a little more negative on  Klobuchar based in part on the nasty demeanor she has demonstrated on more than one occasion  to her own staff.   Biden would have to forge a middle ground with Warren on Health Insurance reform, but I see that as something that could unify the Dems and increase voter enthusiasm and turn-out  My guess is he picks Klobie.

20 minutes ago, tray said:

I agree with cauli on the VP pick and his rationale.  However, I might be a little more negative on  Klobuchar based in part on the nasty demeanor she has demonstrated on more than one occasion  to her own staff.   Biden would have to forge a middle ground with Warren on Health Insurance reform, but I see that as something that could unify the Dems and increase voter enthusiasm and turn-out  My guess is he picks Klobie.

If you look at all those picks like Kaine, Biden, Lieberman...so plain vanilla.

Warren has her detractors, but I think she would motivate more young voters, progressives and Hispanics than Klobuchar.   Trump would probably overplay his hand on the Pocahontas taunts, which would only serve to draw out more suburban soccer moms.

Realistically, she played things right in the middle between Sanders and Biden...when she should have stayed to the left lane and not wavered on M4A.    Staking out all those centering compromises hurt her.   Her strength was always being a policy wonk, which  rounds off Biden’s rough edges there.

Klobuchar might be the one candidate nobody can remember any of her policy positions.  She ran more on her Heartland background and record of winning elections, but she had an art of saying a lot without saying anything.   So did Buttigieg, who runs rings around her intellectually and was smart enough to figure out Medicare For Those Who Want It was best position of all to bet on.

You get Warren on board, it makes Sanders and AOC fans have to make a decision to get involved.  With Klobuchar, they might vote, but they’re definitely not knocking on any doors for that particular ticket.

• Like 2

I assumed JoBi would pick an AA like Harris or Booker who is a great speaker. Imagine if Warren runs how you would hear Pocahontas insults 24/7. Compare that to our leader's record and resume. "Weekend At Biden's" could be a campaign theme or a hit cable corona masked-family movie. Not sure how much Obama will get involved. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, pcq said:

I assumed JoBi would pick an AA like Harris or Booker who is a great speaker. Imagine if Warren runs how you would hear Pocahontas insults 24/7. Compare that to our leader's record and resume. "Weekend At Biden's" could be a campaign theme or a hit cable corona masked-family movie. Not sure how much Obama will get involved. 

He's not going to pick a man. 

Taking Warren shows he is willing to fight and stand up to a bully... She scares corporate America, so you'd have to get Bloomberg on board to access his funds, which would likely disqualify her based on her complete evisceration of his campaign (and $425 million of ad spending) in a matter of minutes. 

Both Obama's will get more involved,  as they are probably as much anti Trump as pro Biden and will want to preserve ObamaCare as a legacy achievement. 

"We've had patients die in hallway beds because the nurse didn't find they didn't have a pulse until it was too late," the physician said. "Each nurse has so many patients that by the time they come to check on their next one, there is a chance that patient may not have a pulse anymore."

Cases explode in Michigan but states outside the hotspots can't get supplies

Another patient's breathing tube disconnected from the ventilator, and the patient died before staff could respond, two ER workers told CNN. 

This is the same hospital in NW Detroit (Sinai Grace) where the nurses staged a sit-in out of desperation Sunday night.

Edited by caulfield12

8 hours ago, YoYoIsMyHero said:

Looks like the virus was in NY earlier than we thought. Makes since why it's being hit so hard due to how long it went unchecked (and the obvious population/density)

It's also believed that it came to the US from Europe via vacation and business travelers rather than directly from Asia.

The federal government promised millions of tests almost a month ago. Instead:

4 minutes ago, StrangeSox said:

It's also believed that it came to the US from Europe via vacation and business travelers rather than directly from Asia.

But the majority of California and Washington cases had to have come from Asia.

There are also plenty of flights from Shanghai, Hong Kong and Beijing into JFK/Newark.

13 hours ago, The Beast said:

I have no issue for releasing non violent offenders when they meet conditions given by courts and parole officers. What would be the argument against nonviolent offenders being let out?

The argument could go along the lines of justice isn't served if they do not serve their entire sentence. I was a victim of X who stole my life's savings and he's only serving 10 months of a four year sentence! It's his fault he's in jail, if he gets sick he gets sick. There are plenty of innocent people getting sick on the outside. Were is the justice for the innocent victims?!  

• Like 1

It seems like the tracing is pointing to the virus spreading (to some extent ) from China to Europe (and primarily to Italy who got hit hard) and then to the US, primarily on flights into NY.

Trump did not ban flights from Europe until March 14 or so,  I believe.   He was preoccupied with disdain toward Chy-na and calling this the China virus.

6 minutes ago, tray said:

It seems like the tracing is pointing to the virus spreading (to some extent ) from China to Europe (and primarily to Italy who got hit hard) and then to the US, primarily on flights into NY.

Trump did not ban flights from Europe until March 14 or so,  I believe.   He was preoccupied with disdain toward Chy-na and calling this the China virus.

The other thing was the screening was a joke. First, you had to look like death warmed over to be recognized, and even then, you have just been in a packed airplane for 8 or 9 hours. The damage was done.

1 hour ago, Texsox said:

The argument could go along the lines of justice isn't served if they do not serve their entire sentence. I was a victim of X who stole my life's savings and he's only serving 10 months of a four year sentence! It's his fault he's in jail, if he gets sick he gets sick. There are plenty of innocent people getting sick on the outside. Were is the justice for the innocent victims?!  

They're doing furloughs not commutations of sentences. 

7 minutes ago, StrangeSox said:

They're doing furloughs not commutations of sentences. 

Some states have gone with early release and commuting sentences. That's what I originally mentioned.  

https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/09/media/pence-office-tv-bookings-coronavirus/index.html
Pence blocking Dr. Fauci from appearing on CNN for the last week, including tonight’s weekly Global Town Hall special...because network sometimes cuts coverage of task force briefings

New York State now has more reported coronavirus cases than any country except the U.S. as a whole.

Kind of difficult to keep reiterating an argument that your two air traffic bans were so successful with this alarming kind of number...

Edited by caulfield12

35 minutes ago, poppysox said:

Some of you guys are really something...the same people claiming Trump didn't close the borders fast enough are the same people who wanted open borders.  You are going to vote for Joe...we get it.  You wanted the Clintons...we get it.  AOC is right on...we get it.  The next 4 years are not going to be enjoyable for you...I hope you get it.

This isn’t about politics, it’s about a global crisis stemming from a pandemic. 

Taking your statements about borders... the premise for Trumps initial border measures was politically driven, a campaign platform centering on curbing illegal immigration and drug tracking.

That motivation is entirely different from slowing the spread of a virus with no currently effective treatment.

The disconnect in your logic is what people here are calling under question.

• Thanks 3

28 minutes ago, poppysox said:

Some of you guys are really something...the same people claiming Trump didn't close the borders fast enough are the same people who wanted open borders.  You are going to vote for Joe...we get it.  You wanted the Clintons...we get it.  AOC is right on...we get it.  The next 4 years are not going to be enjoyable for you...I hope you get it.

There isn't a single Democrat that has called for "open borders".  Like most fever dreams of the perpetually fantastical GOP this is a myth on par with the "welfare queen" driving her Cadillac to the corner store to buy her prime cuts with EBT.

Experts,  (something in short supply these days) told Trump that closing the borders would do very little if anything to prevent the spread.  But, when all you have is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail.  Trump has a few "go tos" in his political playbook and one of them is jingoism.  Closing the border to China did nothing except virtue signal to Trump's core of 38% or so of Americans that back him.  Amazingly, the only demographic in which Trump maintains more than 50% support is among white men over 50.  Think about that.  You're in that category I'd imagine from your posting history.  Fair play to you I guess.

Anyways, back to COVID: the soft lock downs seems to be working but we have to keep it up at least for another two weeks and likely into May.  As we are seeing in Europe quite a few people are getting re-infected but are asymptomatically passing it on to others without antibodies, potentially killing them.

Oh, has any single SB owner gotten a relief loan yet?  I know I haven't, my bank is dragging their feet.

• Thanks 1

A little background might help some of you folks here, especially if you are new to SoxTalk the last few years...

We used to have a political forum, called Filibuster. It was closed, for a bunch of reasons, and we made clear then to not bring politics onto the board.

Now clearly, there are political ramifications to COVID - big, important ones - and we don't want to stifle all discussion on the topic. It is a seminal moment in our history and effects literally everything, including baseball. So we are letting it ride as long as it A) is on the COVID topic, and B) is not ad hominem between posters. Please stick with that, or the suspensions will begin.

• Like 1

Every time I see these projections about states likely reaching a peak at some point in the near future, I wonder if the modeling used for that takes into account any potential bounce-back of the virus as it moves to other states or regions. With a number of larger cities being pretty heavily infected now, what happens next of course is this starts hitting smaller towns and rural areas hard too. And their medical facilities are probably even less able to address even small spikes in need for ICU-level care. Add in those more rural states are, in some cases, among the ones stubbornly resisting medical advice and not locking things down, and it seems like you have a perfect formula for this to happen.

3 minutes ago, NorthSideSox72 said:

Every time I see these projections about states likely reaching a peak at some point in the near future, I wonder if the modeling used for that takes into account any potential bounce-back of the virus as it moves to other states or regions. With a number of larger cities being pretty heavily infected now, what happens next of course is this starts hitting smaller towns and rural areas hard too. And their medical facilities are probably even less able to address even small spikes in need for ICU-level care. Add in those more rural states are, in some cases, among the ones stubbornly resisting medical advice and not locking things down, and it seems like you have a perfect formula for this to happen.

Until we have testing we're in this fog of war.  Lamentably, the Feds are already acting like this is over and we don't need to expand testing.  It's insane.  As of today the Feds estimate they have tested 64K Americans.  

Maybe Reagan was partially right, the most terrifying words you can here as a American in a crisis are "I'm a GOP POTUS, and I'm here to help you in a natural disaster".

5 hours ago, StrangeSox said:

I can't even begin to understand the rationale for this.  The playbook is aggressively test with rapid results to ensure that you are catching people who are asymptomatic.  What - non-corrupt - motive could possibly back the feds ending support for testing sites?