COVID-19/Coronavirus thread

caulfield12

Just now, Jose Abreu said:

If I could find a mask I would wear it. It’s not that people don’t want to, it’s that they’re impossible to find.

At this point there are probably people in your neighborhood stitching them, reusable ones are available on Etsy from your local folks.

they won’t protect you at all if you wear it, but if everyone wears them and doesn’t change behavior as a response, then the mask catches some of the particles that infected people breathe out and you can reduce your chances of infecting a lot of people. 

But if it makes you touch your face more, or you take it off improperly, you raise your own risk by wearing it. So...yeah.

26 minutes ago, Jose Abreu said:

If I could find a mask I would wear it. It’s not that people don’t want to, it’s that they’re impossible to find.

We've been fortunate in that we happened to have a box of them (not N95's but more general medical masks) when this all started, as well as two boxes of gloves. Plus I have more gloves in our cars in the first aid kits (I used to be an EMT and carry advanced kits in our vehicles). Just dumb luck. But yeah when I've looked in stores, noting it for in case we run out, there has been nothing available.

Trump retweeted a threat (from GOP candidate) to fire Fauci after he said the US's slow response to COVID-19 has cost lives

https://www.yahoo.com/news/trump-retweeted-threat-fire-fauci-015357617.html

Knew a showdown was coming sooner or later.  Only question is what happens first, Dr. Fauci quits or Trump fires him.

The problem is that bringing back 78 year old Dr. Fauci becomes the most popular thing that Biden could fight for...to restore good governance and scientific expertise.  Trump is so enthralled with Dr. Birx’s “elegance” that he just might do it.  

https://www.cnn.com/world/live-news/coronavirus-pandemic-04-13-20/index.html

"He's been fretting about Fauci for a while," the source said of Trump's focus on the popular public health expert. The source summed up Trump's comments about the doctor as, "Why isn't Fauci saying nice things about me?"

Trump is clearly trying to make Fauci uncomfortable, a tactic he uses with many of his top officials, the official said. Part of the problem, the source said, is that some in the president's circle have been criticizing Fauci, pain(t)ing the doctor as somehow aligned with the Clintons.  

Trump surrogates have been spreading negative stories about Fauci in recent days, attempting to portray the doctor as party responsible for the government's response to the virus, to deflect criticism from the president. White House officials have insisted Trump has confidence in Fauci. Last Friday, Trump defended his medical experts at the coronavirus task force press conference. But he stopped short of telling his allies to cease their political attacks on Fauci and the other top doctor on the task force, Deborah Birx. 

Edited by caulfield12

Sounds like after I got pneumonia a little over 8 years ago. Had to get my wind back. Doctor gave me a tool to blow into at home that helped.

Even 8 years later, it still hurts when I sneeze sometimes.

23 hours ago, tray said:

I wonder what the mortality rate will end up being  for Senior citizens (those over 65 yrs old) ?  

I get  the obvious - that the older you get, the less likely you are to survive something like this, but I was just wondering if I should head out for groceries.

Very high.  

16 hours ago, Jose Abreu said:

I made one out of a bandana and two of my wife’s hair bands. That seems to work just fine. I wear it out to the stores but I don’t wear it when I go run outside though.

Edited by The Beast

21 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

Told y'all he was setting up Fauci to be the fall guy

His actions or lack of action needs to get amplified as the General Election approaches. Evidently there is an ad being run in several states about how his administration’s lack of action allowed cases to climb.

I bought 50 N95 masks back in mid February (was hard to find them even then) planning to either use them or sell them (I paid $150 for the box).  After seeing all the PPE news I contacted an ex GF and she helped me donate them (she's a nurse), so I feel good about that.

I could have sold the box for $3000 or more.  People are paying $50 a N95 mask on clist.  Oh well, wasn't the right thing to do.

• Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, YoYoIsMyHero said:

Don't worry guys, the experts are on the case. Everything will be back up and running in no time. 

And his supporters will tell you why it's the perfect group . . . 

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

It will be no time at all before we see one of these Easter megachurch services will do the same for spreading.

Perhaps. This was interesting in how many people traveled to the meeting. Those Easter services at least were localized. 

Has Trump ever taken responsibility for anything in his entire life?

Or not taken an opportunity to insult a female reporter?

Well, it doesn’t matter what we wants with the two coastal coalitions already...and taking the position as president that you’re ready and willing to put American lives at risk because you’re desperate to save your presidency isn’y going to fly.

Every single poll out the last two weeks has significant majorities against reopening.

CNN, you shouldn’t need to have the chyron “president melts down” or “president tries to rewrite history.”  That will just give him another talking point about the biased media.  If voters aren’t smart enough to figure it out yet, well...

Most prominent and successful people in the country/world will be on the committee to reopen the economy, lol.

No state should think about reopening until the number of deaths per day is under 50.  Realistically, it should be the entire country under 50.

What is this about a propaganda video produced for the briefing?   They created something that looks more like a campaign ad but will be charged to taxpayers?   How could anyone be surprised?

Edited by caulfield12

8 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Has Trump ever taken responsibility for anything in his entire life?

Or not taken an opportunity to insult a female reporter?

Well, it doesn’t matter what we wants with the two coastal coalitions already...and taking the position as president that you’re ready and willing to put American lives at risk because you’re desperate to save your presidency isn’y going to fly.

Every single poll out the last two weeks has significant majorities against reopening.

CNN, you shouldn’t need to have the chyron “president melts down” or “president tries to rewrite history.”  That will just give him another talking point about the biased media.  If voters aren’t smart enough to figure it out yet, well...

Most prominent and successful people in the country/world will be on the committee to reopen the economy, lol.

No state should think about reopening until the number of deaths per day is under 50.  Realistically, it should be the entire country under 50.

What is this about a propaganda video produced for the briefing?   They created something that looks more like a campaign ad but will be charged to taxpayers?   How could anyone be surprised?

He routinely takes responsibility for other people's hard work and successes, but in terms of failures?  Nope.  Never.

28 minutes ago, pcq said:

There was a choir practice in March in WA with maybe 150 participants and 45 became infected, with two of them deceased. 

I read a study a while back that showed projectile spittle from singing travels 6 times further than it does in normal conversation.  It makes sense that places like choirs and churches would be red alert zones for spreading of this virus.