COVID-19/Coronavirus thread

caulfield12

53 minutes ago, Yearnin' for Yermin said:

The line between hating on and holding accountable has become blurred for many due to the fake news media's disdain for Trump, unfortunately. 

Maybe also because he lies about everything and never does the right thing.  Strange how those things intertwine

There's a protest right now in Lansing, MI over the governor's stay at home order. There was another one in North Carolina today. Some of the people in their cars wound up blocking an ambulance in the process.

I'm guessing that this sort of "reopen stuff now!!!!" becomes a much bigger issue in the next week or two.

14 minutes ago, StrangeSox said:

Calling this a "strategy" seems a tad bit generous

Agree kind of.  Not going to argue the complete horseschlongery coming from the White House.  

But if you look at everything that’s happened through the lens of “let’s not test to keep the hospitals clear so we can more effectively treat the super sick”, everything we’ve done makes a little more sense.  

that’s kind of where I’m at with it 

Just now, Jerksticks said:

Agree kind of.  Not going to argue the complete horseschlongery coming from the White House.  

But if you look at everything that’s happened through the lens of “let’s not test to keep the hospitals clear so we can more effectively treat the super sick”, everything we’ve done makes a little more sense.  

Why would not testing keep hospital admissions down? 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Jerksticks said:

Why wouldn’t it?  

Hospitals are so swamped right now that they are telling people with fevers under 102 in most cases to STAY HOME, even if it's likely they have COVID-19.  Even if magically tested everybody in the USA tmr and 100 million were positive there's nowhere for them to go except self quarantine at home.  If they start to heave problems breathing and a fever over 102 then they will be admitted and hopefully there is a bed and vent ready for them.

We have death panels in the US right now, in one way or another.  So.  Much.  Winning.

This whole “when will the government open the economy” is the wrong question. You can open restaurants all you want. A lot of people (most?) still won’t be going. 

The question we should be asking is how to we make it safe enough for people to be comfortable going out. 

Edited by mqr
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, mqr said:

This whole “when will the government open the economy” is the wrong question. You can open restaurants all you want. A lot of people still won’t be going. 

The question we should be asking is how to we make it safe enough for people to be comfortable going out. 

I think that's the key.  I was reading an article (lord knows there's a shit ton out there) about how do restaurants and bars open.  It mentioned limited occupancy and actually removing/blocking off tables to provide adequate social distancing.  I think this is pretty reasonable, especially if we're to see restaurants start to open in May.

To your point, though, it will take a while before people are comfortable about going out.

4 minutes ago, hogan873 said:

I think that's the key.  I was reading an article (lord knows there's a shit ton out there) about how do restaurants and bars open.  It mentioned limited occupancy and actually removing/blocking off tables to provide adequate social distancing.  I think this is pretty reasonable, especially if we're to see restaurants start to open in May.

To your point, though, it will take a while before people are comfortable about going out.

Sure until the guy serving or preparing your food has COVID.

28 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

Hospitals are so swamped right now that they are telling people with fevers under 102 in most cases to STAY HOME, even if it's likely they have COVID-19.  Even if magically tested everybody in the USA tmr and 100 million were positive there's nowhere for them to go except self quarantine at home.  If they start to heave problems breathing and a fever over 102 then they will be admitted and hopefully there is a bed and vent ready for them.

We have death panels in the US right now, in one way or another.  So.  Much.  Winning.

Exactly.  This is what we are doing.  

Just now, Jerksticks said:

We've seen language, truth, nuance, logic, credibility, accountability, democracy, citizenship and statesmanship pretty much abolished, destroyed, dismantled, massacred, tortured and betrayed. We are capable of deeds beyond our worst imagination. Nothing is impossible and nothing can save us. 

12 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Sure until the guy serving or preparing your food has COVID.

Everyone who is ordering takeout, curbside, or having food delivered is dealing with that now. 

1 hour ago, Balta1701 said:

There's a protest right now in Lansing, MI over the governor's stay at home order. There was another one in North Carolina today. Some of the people in their cars wound up blocking an ambulance in the process.

I'm guessing that this sort of "reopen stuff now!!!!" becomes a much bigger issue in the next week or two.

Most of the friends and family I know who are Trump supporters, even for them, they aren't into the idea of just dropping all the restrictions completely, today. Political belief only goes so far when it is up against their own safety. We can have a good discussion about what should be happening before things start to loosen, how to loosen and when, etc., even if we disagree.

But, I do have at least one friend (former co-worker), who is an otherwise intelligent and knowledgeable guy, who has just gone batshit crazy about this. He wants to open everything right now, says all the orders from the states AND feds were illegal, the numbers are all faked and way higher than reality, so on and so on. Honestly I think it is just psychological denial. The reality is so unnerving that some people turn to whatever comforts them, including the rabbit hole of questionable to outright Alex Jones-level media, and put a death grip on it so hard they convince themselves it is true.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, pcq said:

We've seen language, truth, nuance, logic, credibility, accountability, democracy, citizenship and statesmanship pretty much abolished, destroyed, dismantled, massacred, tortured and betrayed. We are capable of deeds beyond our worst imagination. Nothing is impossible and nothing can save us. 

Hyperbole at its finest

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, NorthSideSox72 said:

Most of the friends and family I know who are Trump supporters, even for them, they aren't into the idea of just dropping all the restrictions completely, today. Political belief only goes so far when it is up against their own safety. We can have a good discussion about what should be happening before things start to loosen, how to loosen and when, etc., even if we disagree.

But, I do have at least one friend (former co-worker), who is an otherwise intelligent and knowledgeable guy, who has just gone batshit crazy about this. He wants to open everything right now, says all the orders from the states AND feds were illegal, the numbers are all faked and way higher than reality, so on and so on. Honestly I think it is just psychological denial. The reality is so unnerving that some people turn to whatever comforts them, including the rabbit hole of questionable to outright Alex Jones-level media, and put a death grip on it so hard they convince themselves it is true.

It's a cult.  I swear it's a cult.

• Thanks 3

1 hour ago, Balta1701 said:

Living in Grand Rapids, yeah, a lot of people are pissed right now. I personally know someone who went to that and protested. A lot of people got pissed when Whitmer (they now affectionately call her Whitler) tightened the restrictions on the stay-at-home order. Here's my take on it:

For the people protesting: Chill out. The government isn't taking our rights and freedoms away. This is literally to save lives.  I believe the saying is: life. liberty, pursuit of happiness...and LIFE comes first. Stay at home. Oh and good job social distancing at that protest. It's obvious none of them are taking this virus seriously and are just risking more lives by protesting the way they did.

For Whitmer: I don't think she needed to tighten her restrictions on the order. It was just fine how it was. Extend it, yes. That needed to happen. Not sure things really needed to be added to it though. The things she added to it were weird and she didn't explain herself well, with why she made the decisions she did to tighten the restrictions. However, I think she is acting very professionally in all of this, which is saying a lot compared to some of our other "leaders" in our country.

• Like 1