COVID-19/Coronavirus thread

caulfield12

I am interested in  Remsividir, which as i understand it, can only be administered intravenously.

Gilead Sciences, LTD, a manufacturer of this drug,  is apparently  affiliated with Gilead Sciences Israel Ltd..

Gilead stock pops 8% after report says coronavirus drug trial shows encouraging early results

From Zerohedge

"...none of the patients on the Chicago trial had been on invasive ventilation, which tends to be an indication of a more serious condition and worse outcomes. In short, the observed response could have been nothing more than a placebo effect."

Jeezus, is this going to be another hyrdrochloroquine that turns into a partisan shitstorm but doesn't amount to much?  I hope not..

I am not trying to be negative or latch on to conspiracy theories,  but I have to remain skeptical.  We desperately need reliable scientific data and peer reviewed medical research.  No more anecdotal "studies," partisan politicking, or market manipulation by the greedy.

I hate to quote Ruth from Ozark again but boiling this down as she would, "We don't know sh1t about fvk."

21 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

https://www.globaltimes.cn/content/1185711.shtml

Here’s another important story.  A Chinese intl. student returning from university in Miami was hospitalized, released, quarantined in Beijing for two weeks, then had to go back to the hospital 19 days after the original quarantine had started and was ultimately diagnosed with Covid (also managed to get his entire family sick.)

They’re starting to rethink adjusting the normal 14 day timeframe to 21 days.

Beijing is still pretty much more locked down than Wuhan, even.  They haven’t allowed a single flight or high speed train to go between the two cities, either.

Keep the articles coming baby! A minimum of 5 a day out of you Caulfield. No less!

• Haha 3

13 minutes ago, tray said:

I am interested in  Remsividir, which as i understand it, can only be administered intravenously.

Gilead Sciences, LTD, a manufacturer of this drug,  is apparently  affiliated with Gilead Sciences Israel Ltd..

Gilead stock pops 8% after report says coronavirus drug trial shows encouraging early results

From Zerohedge

"...none of the patients on the Chicago trial had been on invasive ventilation, which tends to be an indication of a more serious condition and worse outcomes. In short, the observed response could have been nothing more than a placebo effect."

Jeezus, is this going to be another hyrdrochloroquine that turns into a partisan shitstorm but doesn't amount to much?  I hope not..

I am not trying to be negative or latch on to conspiracy theories,  but I have to remain skeptical.  We desperately need reliable scientific data and peer reviewed medical research.  No more anecdotal "studies," partisan politicking, or market manipulation by the greedy.

I hate to quote Ruth from Ozark again but boiling this down as she would, "We don't know sh1t about fvk."

That's true, it could be placebo effect.

I'd add though that doctors are doing everything they an to avoid respirators because they do damage in its own right and is basically the last stop to pull. So avoiding the point of needing respiration is a pretty big deal, but yes, it could be the body turning it around for all of them. 

I had hopes for remdesivir after reading about New Jersey's first coronavirus patient. He was at oxygen levels to the point he had written a letter to his daughter in case of death. He was accepted as a trial for remdesivir and recovered.

It may turn out to be nothing but it's nice to have some hope.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, bmags said:

That's true, it could be placebo effect.

I'd add though that doctors are doing everything they an to avoid respirators because they do damage in its own right and is basically the last stop to pull. So avoiding the point of needing respiration is a pretty big deal, but yes, it could be the body turning it around for all of them. 

I had hopes for remdesivir after reading about New Jersey's first coronavirus patient. He was at oxygen levels to the point he had written a letter to his daughter in case of death. He was accepted as a trial for remdesivir and recovered.

It may turn out to be nothing but it's nice to have some hope.

It would be really nice to have some hope. We need it desperately before our society starts coming apart.

1 hour ago, Texsox said:

I don't know how not planning makes sense. How about this plan?

We open when we have a better understanding of where we are at with this virus. Virtually all of the unknowns  are known. We  know how many have had it, whether those who had it are now immune and if so for how long, what drugs treat it, at what point patients should  be placed on a ventilator, and how long the virus is surviving on certain  surfaces. The search for a treatment or a vaccine is focused and in reach . The tests for anti-bodies are reliable. 

How does that plan not make sense?

Without a plan we're just wandering around aimlessly. Goals and a plan create action and focus. 

Because the person in charge of 1 party and all of his loyal subjects will lose money and they're tired of that.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, bmags said:

I know we can't expect the federal government to actually be proactive just do whataboutism but this is one of those things where I really wish the feds would make a large guarantee of remdesivir now so that if we do find out good news we don't have to deal with production delays. OR like offer a large prize for treatment and buy the patent and produce it generically.

And if it fails it's just cost of trying to end a pandemic.

You realize why that won't happen? Because that sets the precedent that large prizes for successful treatment and companies not having patent monopolies is something we will do. You're suggesting a reasonable way around an industry that extracts hundreds of billions of dollars every year. The drug industry will light the hospitals testing the drug on fire and burn them to the ground with the people it was tested on inside before they will allow that. 

53 minutes ago, tray said:

From Zerohedge

If you want to look on the bright side, at least the people they tested it on didn't immediately develop severe heart conditions. 

Governors it's on you. But no funds going to states. Now he's tweeting liberate Michigan, liberate Minnesota, liberate Virginia, apparently in support of the protesters. But, he will remind us not to make this political. Inciting his supporters to use this disease as a political weapon. Now bashing Cuomo, tells him to quit talking and go to work. The guy with 2 1/2 hour press conferences and hours on twitter. 

Edited by Dick Allen
  • Like 2

Some more info on the remdesivir trials, definitely reason to be cautious and skeptical of results so far.

https://blogs.sciencemag.org/pipeline/archives/2020/04/17/whats-happening-with-remdesivir

To put it clearly, the comparison in the trial that got leaked is a 5-day treatment of Remdesivir vs. a 10-day treatment of Remdesivir. Gilead's stock jumped nicely today, though *dons tinfoil hat*

Edited by StrangeSox
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Dick Allen said:

I agree. 1% of the population has been tested. I cannot believe the scientists caved to this guy. I don’t know how opening up restaurants in Idaho saves the US economy. But the market will jump for a day or two.

Where do you guys jump to all these conclusions that US is going to rapidly going to reopen everything. If you look throughout this thread, everyone has stated multiple times that Trump was going to be overly aggressive. If we listened to everyone in here making these reactions, Fauci would have been fired 10 times, everything would have been reopened for a few weeks (and all our hospitals would be back logged, etc).  

Mistakes were made but the plan outlined seemed to jive with what many other countries have laid out and it doesn't put a hard timeframe on everything. Basically lays out all the qualitative considerations to open things up.  As I always say...arguing about all of these random nuances plays right into Trump and his supporters hands.  Guy is crazy and his strategy is to get everyone to follow the roller coaster vs. button down on the real things that matter (such as the fact that we don't have the testing & antibody programs yet to really get past this). The good news is social distancing is working...but the initial social distancing really did one thing...BUY time.  If we weren't able to get our ducks in a row while buying that time, than we have more issues because what comes next will end up being a W shaped recovery vs. a V or U shaped recovery.  

5 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

Where do you guys jump to all these conclusions that US is going to rapidly going to reopen everything. If you look throughout this thread, everyone has stated multiple times that Trump was going to be overly aggressive. If we listened to everyone in here making these reactions, Fauci would have been fired 10 times, everything would have been reopened for a few weeks (and all our hospitals would be back logged, etc).  

Mistakes were made but the plan outlined seemed to jive with what many other countries have laid out and it doesn't put a hard timeframe on everything. Basically lays out all the qualitative considerations to open things up.  As I always say...arguing about all of these random nuances plays right into Trump and his supporters hands.  Guy is crazy and his strategy is to get everyone to follow the roller coaster vs. button down on the real things that matter (such as the fact that we don't have the testing & antibody programs yet to really get past this). The good news is social distancing is working...but the initial social distancing really did one thing...BUY time.  If we weren't able to get our ducks in a row while buying that time, than we have more issues because what comes next will end up being a W shaped recovery vs. a V or U shaped recovery.  

There's a concerted effort by a small but very loud group who wants to just turn the economy back on right away and have begun/restarted downplaying that COVID was a serious threat at all in the first place. These people have a lot of money, power, and media influence. We're already seeing political groups funding anti-social distancing protests, and we're seeing some states already starting with bad opening back up measures (Florida is reopening beaches!)

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

Where do you guys jump to all these conclusions that we are rapidly going to reopen everything. If you look throughout this thread, everyone has stated multiple times that Trump was going to be overly aggressive. If we listened to everyone in here making these reactions, Fauci would have been fired 10 times, everything would have been reopened for a few weeks (and all our hospitals would be back logged, etc).  

They shouldn't even be attempting to release "outlines" of how things are going to reopen right now but that's all they're talking about, and multiple states and governors are going along with it, including mine. They're even getting pushback from the businesses that they want to have reopen because the businesses know it is dumb. And yeah,  there's a really good chance right now that things are still getting worse in places that can't be tested because the US is running out of testing supplies.

I can't find a good article on it, but yesterday or two days ago (what is tiem now anyway?) the UK government outlined not a plan for reopening, but instead outlined what the situation needed to be before reopening was considered, including available tests, widely available hospital beds, ability to track and trace. That is what we should be releasing right now, not a reopening plan - the requirements we have to meet in order to actually open businessees, because you can't correctly plan reopening until you set the standard for when it is going to happen.

Finally putting people on the streets, "Liberate virginia protect your second amendment rights" "Liberate Michigan" - those demonstrations and rallies that the President is now encouraging, they will serve as great transmission points to make this last even longer. This is a specific action that is going to do damage right now, making this worse, without even trying to reopen everything. 

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

When you have the President tweeting LIBERATE MICHIGAN?

• Like 4

36 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

They shouldn't even be attempting to release "outlines" of how things are going to reopen right now but that's all they're talking about, and multiple states and governors are going along with it, including mine. They're even getting pushback from the businesses that they want to have reopen because the businesses know it is dumb. And yeah,  there's a really good chance right now that things are still getting worse in places that can't be tested because the US is running out of testing supplies.

I can't find a good article on it, but yesterday or two days ago (what is tiem now anyway?) the UK government outlined not a plan for reopening, but instead outlined what the situation needed to be before reopening was considered, including available tests, widely available hospital beds, ability to track and trace. That is what we should be releasing right now, not a reopening plan - the requirements we have to meet in order to actually open businessees, because you can't correctly plan reopening until you set the standard for when it is going to happen.

Finally putting people on the streets, "Liberate virginia protect your second amendment rights" "Liberate Michigan" - those demonstrations and rallies that the President is now encouraging, they will serve as great transmission points to make this last even longer. This is a specific action that is going to do damage right now, making this worse, without even trying to reopen everything. 

It is interesting the person who claimed to have authority over all issued something called guidelines.

38 minutes ago, StrangeSox said:

There's a concerted effort by a small but very loud group who wants to just turn the economy back on right away and have begun/restarted downplaying that COVID was a serious threat at all in the first place. These people have a lot of money, power, and media influence. We're already seeing political groups funding anti-social distancing protests, and we're seeing some states already starting with bad opening back up measures (Florida is reopening beaches!)

It's coming from a certain television network who believes it so much they are all working from home.

43 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Got it.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-52313715

He said five conditions needed to be met before the lockdown was eased:

• Making sure the NHS could cope
  • A "sustained and consistent" fall in the daily death rate
  • Reliable data showing the rate of infection was decreasing to "manageable levels"
  • Ensuring the supply of tests and Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) could meet future demand
  • Being confident any adjustments would not risk a second peak

He said he could not provide a definitive timeline, but said the prime minister's warning at the outset of the epidemic that it would take about three months to come through the peak still applied.

That's exactly what our government needs to be saying in order to make a reopening possible. Even if all you get is the 20% who say "open everything now" going out and trying to do stuff, combined with businesses where low-income people have no choice but to go to work when ordered, that's more than enough to create an extra peak.

8 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

England is putting together a task force to come up with a vaccine.  The US is forming one to reopen the economy.  Meanwhile the President is encouraging treason.

Happy Friday. 

That's one where I can say I'm a little content for our government to not be involved, at least this government. Every company that has expertise in doing those things is already racing on this, with some plausibly hopeful signs that they might be able to cut time off that 18 month schedule. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Balta1701 said:

You realize why that won't happen? Because that sets the precedent that large prizes for successful treatment and companies not having patent monopolies is something we will do. You're suggesting a reasonable way around an industry that extracts hundreds of billions of dollars every year. The drug industry will light the hospitals testing the drug on fire and burn them to the ground with the people it was tested on inside before they will allow that. 

Yeah there’s plenty of history of prizes in medicine,  it to my knowledge none of the drug industry lighting hospitals on fire.

1 minute ago, bmags said:

Yeah there’s plenty of history of prizes in medicine,  it to my knowledge none of the drug industry lighting hospitals on fire.

Treatment for this is far more profitable than a cure for drug companies. I'm pretty sure that will determine their focus.