COVID-19/Coronavirus thread

caulfield12

1 hour ago, caulfield12 said:

There’s another issue at play here.

I have a friend (chemistry teacher) who used to work at my school in China and now back in California waiting  to get his teaching credentials in order and for fall semester hiring to take place.

He works temporarily in a grocery store doing stocking/inventory for something like $15/hr.

Meanwhile, you have lots of people who are getting $832/week for unemployment, plus they’ll be getting an extra $600 per week on top of that.

That works out to something like $6000 per month, $24,000 for four months max....$36/hr or $72,000 for a full year.

How can we justify paying those actually at risk half or in many cases 1/3rd as much those essential workers (looking at you Wal Mart and Amazon)?

How can we give Ruth’s Chris steakhouses a $20 million small business loan when they are sitting on something like $60 million in reserves?   That’s really pushing it to define that as anything resembling a “small business.”  I think it’s 500 employees or less...?

For the same reason the CARES act gave a $70 billion tax break to 43;000 millionaires. That’s an average of $1.6 million each. Real estate developers, hmm, hedge fund people. And the break is retro  for 2017 and 2018. But no money for the states. No more money for hospitals. No money for testing. They are bragging about 3.7 million tests. On March 10th, Pence said they would have 4 million tests by the end of the week.Money for campaign donors and probable voters only.

12 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

Florida is reopening their beaches tonight. Why I am commenting on that in a post where you said something about an extreme mortality rate amongst the elderly is totally a mystery as no one thinks of retirees and Florida.

(my 90 year old grandmother who usually winters in Florida headed back to Indiana in late February after someone in that trailer park tested positive).

I also read where coastal breezes make the 6 foot separation obsolete. Crowded beaches and I crowded beaches aren’t very safe right now.

Aannnd they are crowded already. Everyone should be pissed off at these people. The more they fuck up, the longer responsible people will have to stay home.

Edited by Dick Allen
  • Like 2

19 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

For the same reason the CARES act gave a $70 billion tax break to 43;000 millionaires. That’s an average of $1.6 million each. Real estate developers, hmm, hedge fund people. And the break is retro  for 2017 and 2018. But no money for the states. No more money for hospitals. No money for testing. They are bragging about 3.7 million tests. On March 10th, Pence said they would have 4 million tests by the end of the week.Money for campaign donors and probable voters only.

The most incredible thing this week to me was Trump seriously considering adding a two hour radio call in show in addition to the daily briefings on t.v.

Which shows just how interested he is in actually solving problems... all along, it has simply been narcissism, the desire to constantly be the center of attention.  His primary concern with adding a radio show was 1) losing to Rush in the ratings, 2) being perceived as threatening to the Excellence in Broadcasting empire, lol.   Well, nothing should surprise anyone at this point.  Steve Bannon all along had been planning extensively with the Mercers to launch their own Trumpian broadcasting network, as it looked increasingly likely they were going to lose in 2016.

Voters, so far, say they are erring on the side of caution, as public health experts have urged. In a Pew survey released this week, roughly two-thirds of respondents said they are worried about their state easing restrictions too quickly — twice the number of those who are concerned it won’t happen fast enough.

Just over two-thirds of voters said they expect it to be at least a month before Americans should start returning to work and life as normal, with just 9 percent mentioning the one- or two-week gap Trump has suggested could happen, according to a Harris poll released this week. Among Republicans, 61 percent said it should be at least a month before Americans start returning to work and life as normal.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/advisers-warn-trump-economy-push-232900771.html

Edited by caulfield12
  • Like 1

Just now, Dick Allen said:

Unfortunately the stimulus seems to be massively favored toward corporate relief and we may never know their connection to Cheeto. One bankrupt company was gifted millions to make masks which they have never done. Ordinary people cannot find masks. I have placed four orders and still waiting for delivery. I don't think my govt loves me.

5 hours ago, bmags said:

hopefully they don’t negotiate higher prices lest they make more profit on the individual coronavirus services.

Ireland has temporarily nationalised their health care system. There are ways to solve the problem of "isn't profitable for capital."

Edited by StrangeSox

1 hour ago, StrangeSox said:

Ireland has temporarily nationalised their health care system. There are ways to solve the problem of "isn't profitable for capital."

Which was my original point(!) that the government should guarantee a big purchase now and offer large rewards for treatments and vaccines. I was told that no pharmaceutical would dare allow that.

But the business of covid isn’t good for anyone. Even Amazon, who will do probably better than anyone, is feeling tons of pressure from customers on AWS for support (it’s most profitable line).

The government should be helping anyone it can right now. Hospitals shouldn’t be very busy with employees on the line for their health - and fighting for their financial lives.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Dick Allen said:

CARES Act had 500 billion for states and public health. It’s just not enough.

5 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

The most incredible thing this week to me was Trump seriously considering adding a two hour radio call in show in addition to the daily briefings on t.v.

Which shows just how interested he is in actually solving problems... all along, it has simply been narcissism, the desire to constantly be the center of attention.  His primary concern with adding a radio show was 1) losing to Rush in the ratings, 2) being perceived as threatening to the Excellence in Broadcasting empire, lol.   Well, nothing should surprise anyone at this point.  Steve Bannon all along had been planning extensively with the Mercers to launch their own Trumpian broadcasting network, as it looked increasingly likely they were going to lose in 2016.

Right, nothing should surprise anyone at this point. From the beginning of his term, it has been all about him. He didn't care about learning about governing. His performance regarding Puerto Rico was abysmal. And now that we are facing a huge crisis, the main thing he is concerned about is people kissing his ass. Oh, and using this tragic crisis as a vehicle to get re-elected. Yet, his supporters are saying all of this is exaggerated, and they are also making it about him.

Looks like Waterloo, IA, will be joining South Dakota with another critical food plant shutdown the way things are trending...I get it, essential services, but you would think by now there would be some type of Federal guideline for when to shut down a plant like this (so as to take it out of the hands of mayors and governors.)

You have the usual case of underpaid immigrant workers (some likely undocumented)/African American vs. the Fortune 500 interests and their political contributions, playing out with our nation’s critical food supply as the backdrop. 

https://wcfcourier.com/news/local/20-officials-call-on-tyson-to-shutter-waterloo-plant-for-coronavirus-outbreak/article_f4fd59a3-36ee-594e-b0cf-11eabdf4a8a9.html#tracking-source=home-top-story-1

1 hour ago, Yearnin' for Yermin said:

https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2020/04/coronavirus-donald-trump-and-the-wizard-of-oz-presidency.html

There’s a concept in economics known as diminishing marginal utility.

What seems like a potential advantage (nearly unlimited and free airtime) will not look the same way to the American people six to eight weeks from now if they still have inadequate testing, no job, a return to stay at home policies...unemployment benefits not arriving or facing the spectre of them soon running out.

Presidential elections are almost always decided on the economy...with the only exception being not wanting to change presidents during wartime.

That said, by ceding all the responsibility and decision-making authority, he’s acting like the opposite of FDR.  He wants the same fireside chats, but this time as an open platform to malign and disparage his political enemies instead of attempting to unify and comfort the country.

Sooner or later...people in his base will start to wonder why he’s more concerned about ratings than doing something to improve and/or safeguard their lives.   Great American presidents have never run in the opposite direction during challenging times.  Lincoln never paused before Gettysburg when times looked particularly bleak for the Union and said let’s call this whole thing off, I am not at all responsible for the Civil War, let the individual states decide these issues amongst themselves.  Instead of fighting for all the people, the reality is it’s turning out to be none of the people when your primary audience continues to be only 38-46% of Americans.    Divided against each other we shall fall.

Edited by caulfield12
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, bmags said:

CARES Act had 500 billion for states and public health. It’s just not enough.

But it wasn’t divided by need or amount of cases. There are some states that will receive over $100k per Covid 19 patient. Want to guess if they are red or blue? And they need way more especially   if they are supposed to be doing all the testing and bidding against each other like an episode of the Apprentice to buy masks, gowns, ventilators etc. Trump is ripping Cuomo for saying he needed 40,000 ventilators, well Coumo determined he needed them based on Trumps CDC reports. 

• Like 1