COVID-19/Coronavirus thread

caulfield12

15 hours ago, Dick Allen said:

I will not be going anywhere near Tennessee the next couple of years.

By the way, if you love live music Nashville (Lower Broadway) and Memphis (Beale Street) are world class. I remember one bar in Nashville with four stories and a band playing on all four levels. On the top floor was this Prince looking, rocking, lead singer with an awesome band then on the main floor was a mom, dad, sister, brother, other dad country band that was amazing. In between those floors was more rock. Our back east summer trips now take almost a week to get through Tennessee. 

Trump keeps acting like this is about him. Obviously, it isn't. But if he wants to make it about him, he should do this: Announce that he and Pence are not seeking re-election and he will spend the rest of his term working on this crisis. At least that will take some of the politics out the equation. I don't care if he thinks he is going to win by a landslide.

We are up against it now. Trump or Biden or anyone else are the least of our problems. People are dying and people are suffering. Do something about it.

1 hour ago, StrangeSox said:

Dr. Robert Murphy, the infectious disease expert WGN has on regularly to answer questions, predicts Illinois will be able to open back up around May 25th based on a number of models. This does assume some amount is testing being ramped up.

He was... skeptical about various southern states' plans to reopen this week or next.

That sounds about right.

17 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

On the hospital side, seems the blowback on PPE shortages in the UK with the NHS overpromising and underdelivering is even worse than in the US.  Hospitals now taking the position they don’t want to hear anything about supplies until they’re actually delivered and in hand.

The mantra from the government the last 6 weeks has been "Protect the NHS" by staying home and social distancing , which people have been doing but the government haven't been protecting them enough by dithering over PPE shipments. The fiasco of the plane stuck in Turkey which is carrying supplies beggars belief , should have arrived last week then definitely Sunday , now a government minister is delighted to announce this morning three RAF planes were sent last night to fetch the goods and will arrive in the next few days !

English manufacturers having to ship PPE abroad because when offered at home were met with an impenetrable wall of government bureaucracy.  Ask a government minister a yes or no question and you get a "well this/that blah blah "

We're going to see a lot of states opening back up prematurely, which will force people to choose between going back to work in what they (correctly) feel are unsafe and potentially dangerous conditions, or having to quite their job. Because they'll have chosen to quit, they won't be eligible for unemployment. I wonder how much this is driving some of the state-level thinking. And the people who will suffer most from this are going to be lower-income people in service sector jobs where they can't possibly socially distance if they're at work. We've already seen disproportionate impacts, and this will only make it worse.

42 minutes ago, StrangeSox said:

We're going to see a lot of states opening back up prematurely, which will force people to choose between going back to work in what they (correctly) feel are unsafe and potentially dangerous conditions, or having to quite their job. Because they'll have chosen to quit, they won't be eligible for unemployment. I wonder how much this is driving some of the state-level thinking. And the people who will suffer most from this are going to be lower-income people in service sector jobs where they can't possibly socially distance if they're at work. We've already seen disproportionate impacts, and this will only make it worse.

For sure.  Desires to participate are going to be all over the board.  Forced participation is going to be a huge issue.  There’s going to be a lot of tension in dense settings like offices no matter if states open early or wait 2 years.  Life is going to be really different.  I wouldn’t want to live in NYC right now. 

2 hours ago, bmags said:

That sounds about right.

That would be close to 10 weeks since it started.  That does seem about right, and even a slow opening of businesses before summer would be great.

When this all started, I think many of us were hopeful that the April 7 original deadline would be the end.  Now, I think we'd be elated at things opening by May 25.

1 minute ago, hogan873 said:

That would be close to 10 weeks since it started.  That does seem about right, and even a slow opening of businesses before summer would be great.

When this all started, I think many of us were hopeful that the April 7 original deadline would be the end.  Now, I think we'd be elated at things opening by May 25.

Pretty much. Testing has been so slow and even now isn't hitting the targets set on 3/31. And though we've stopped growing , we haven't really bent the curve at all. It's a long way from 1,000 cases per day to under 100, which is what I expected before opening.

Hope someone sees the irony of Guatemalans being attacked in their native country for having returned from the the US, which experienced roughly 1,400ish more Covid-19 deaths than any country in the world yesterday.  Not exactly a safe haven.  They might need to eventually block the border on the Mexican side to prevent immigrants from Texas, AZ, NM and California from fleeing south like in that incomparable CGI movie, 2012.

Guatemala President Alejandro Giammattei denounced several reported attacks on people returning to Guatemala from overseas, particularly those arriving from the United States. 

During a government news conference Sunday, Giammattei asked Guatemalans to treat these people not as "criminals" but rather as "brothers."

Giammattei mentioned a case reported on Saturday, in the municipality of Santa Catarina Palopó, where people "tried to attack the mayor, his family and a person who had returned to his home." 

The person who returned from abroad had attained the proper paperwork demonstrating they had tested negative for coronavirus and had followed all necessary quarantine measures, Giammattei said.

cnn.com

Blomberg said the protesters' demands are shortsighted because the virus is still spreading unabated.

"If you're in a hospital bed, you're not making any money anyway. In fact, you're putting yourself in further debt," Blomberg told CNN.

"If you're dead, it doesn't matter anyway -- you're not going to be able to provide for your family. You're going to have your medical bills, your funeral costs, you're going to be leaving that for them on top of it all.

Edited by caulfield12

2 hours ago, StrangeSox said:

Colorado going from ordering people to stay at home to recommending they stay at home, while also allowing non-essential businesses (salons, tattoo parlors) to re-open starting next week.  The state is eyeing restaurants re-opening in some capacity in mid-May.  Denver isn't set to re-open that quickly - but the state doesn't have the virus under control, and isn't close to the testing capacity they need.

The infuriating thing here is that what the federal response should have been (paying people to stay home, and compensating businesses for being closed) hasn't been the reality - particularly on the small business side of things.  One of my favorite small outdoor retailers here in Denver sent out an e-mail recently that they have been shut out of every source of federal aid - and without that aid there is huge pressure for them to be able to re-open to avoid shuttering permanently.  Businesses shouldn't have to choose between public health and staying open.  The federal government should be compensating them for keeping their doors closed to the benefit of public health.

17 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Hope someone sees the irony of Guatemalans being attacked in their native country for having returned from the the US, which experienced roughly 1,400ish more Covid-19 deaths than any country in the world yesterday.  Not exactly a safe haven.  They might need to eventually block the border on the Mexican side to prevent immigrants from Texas, AZ, NM and California from fleeing south like in that incomparable CGI movie, 2012.

Guatemala President Alejandro Giammattei denounced several reported attacks on people returning to Guatemala from overseas, particularly those arriving from the United States. 

During a government news conference Sunday, Giammattei asked Guatemalans to treat these people not as "criminals" but rather as "brothers."

Giammattei mentioned a case reported on Saturday, in the municipality of Santa Catarina Palopó, where people "tried to attack the mayor, his family and a person who had returned to his home." 

The person who returned from abroad had attained the proper paperwork demonstrating they had tested negative for coronavirus and had followed all necessary quarantine measures, Giammattei said.

cnn.com

Blomberg said the protesters' demands are shortsighted because the virus is still spreading unabated.

"If you're in a hospital bed, you're not making any money anyway. In fact, you're putting yourself in further debt," Blomberg told CNN.

"If you're dead, it doesn't matter anyway -- you're not going to be able to provide for your family. You're going to have your medical bills, your funeral costs, you're going to be leaving that for them on top of it all.

No worries Guatamalans. Trump slapped down an executive order temporarily banning immigration. They won't be able to come here. They can feel free to prevent all the people rushing from the United States to return there (lol)

Fox News’ Ainsley Earhardt Questions Trump’s Immigration Ban: What About My Au Pair?

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/fox-news-ainsley-earhardt-questions-154559444.html

Plan?  Reflected?  Informed?  Fox News?  What is the world coming to...?

Earhardt, recently divorced and a now operating as a single mom, reflected on how the immigration ban could affect farmers in America on work visas, then said, “Many families here — including mine — we have au pairs and we rely on them. I go to work at 3 o’clock in the morning so I need her there and I need her in my house so that she can help me with my daughter.”

The mother of four-year-old Hayden continued her critique of the president’s vague plan, saying, “Many families rely on child care from other countries. These au pairs come here on work visas. They have to go back to their country to get the visas renewed and we’ve been talking in my house about how that’s gonna happen. So these are all things — these are questions that we have that hopefully the president will roll out a plan and we’ll all be in informed on all of this is going to affect all of our lives.”

20 hours ago, NorthSideSox72 said:

Just saw the governor of Tennessee plans to lift their stay-at-home order as soon as April 27th, a week from today. And not just lift the order, but him saying the great majority of businesses should open. No partial re-open, no phases, just put it back almost full blast.

Meanwhile, Tennessee's daily new case numbers haven't diminished at all. No bend in the curve yet. I'm sure that is going to go well for them.

Glad I moved to Nashville!

• Haha 2