COVID-19/Coronavirus thread

caulfield12

3 hours ago, Yearnin' for Yermin said:

Have you listened to the guy talk? Have you seen the videos of him sniffing and groping children/women? It's going to be an absolute bloodbath when he tries to debate Trump. 

Democrats will be less likely to vote for a guy with sexual assault/rape allegations. Not to mention he can barely string sentences together. Biden is toast. 

I understand the criticism but I disagree that he is toast. Biden will continue to address his behavior just like he did last year. Democrats will definitely understand their nominee isn’t perfect and will vote for him, regardless of ideology.

4 minutes ago, The Beast said:

I understand the criticism but I disagree that he is toast. Biden will continue to address his behavior just like he did last year. Democrats will definitely understand their nominee isn’t perfect and will vote for him, regardless of ideology.

But this is part of what bothers me. Doesn't saying that he "isn't perfect" in response to his shortcomings, while correct on a literal basis, diminish and/or trivialize the cruelty of rape?

Just now, Jose Abreu said:

But this is part of what bothers me. Doesn't saying that he "isn't perfect" in response to his shortcomings, while correct on a literal basis, diminish and/or trivialize the cruelty of rape?

Yes.

But take a look at where we are right now. We have the choice between 2 people with credible allegations against them. 1 of whom didn't react to warnings of a pandemic and  still, 6 weeks into this thing, has adamantly refused to organize anything resembling a plan. 

Everyone who said "sure he's a racist but her emails" and either voted for Trump or did some sort of a protest vote last time voted for where we are right now, an economic and societal disaster. We just didn't know what kind. Ready for the next one?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Jose Abreu said:

It is pretty crazy. Look at how the media and the people handled these allegations with Kavanaugh compared to Biden. Kavanaugh got absolutely roasted. There has been MUCH less backlash towards Biden. People kind of just brush it off, like you said. 

4 minutes ago, Jose Abreu said:

In reality, it should be a deal breaker.  But welcome to 2020.  On your right you will see President Trump, on your left Bill Clinton.  Look across the street at the Supreme Court and say high to Justice's Kavanaugh and Thomas.  No idea why that isn't a deal breaker, but it isn't.  In the reality we live, these are our choices. In this reality, all of the things that get leveled at Biden are things that the President has against him in multiples.

• Like 1

Let's try to keep this topic on coronavirus, even semi-tangentially. This isn't The Buster Thread.

Discussing how Biden or Trump would handle the crisis differently is fine. Biden's options for VP, outside of Whitmer, ultimately are not.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Yearnin' for Yermin said:

It is pretty crazy. Look at how the media and the people handled these allegations with Kavanaugh compared to Biden. Kavanaugh got absolutely roasted. There has been MUCH less backlash towards Biden. People kind of just brush it off, like you said. 

The Kavanaugh stuff is not really comparable since that was crammed into a couple week period between his nomination and confirmation, and the election is 6 months away.   

also, Kavanaughs accuser came forward and testified in front of the entire nation.  Not quite the same level right now.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Quin said:

Let's try to keep this topic on coronavirus, even semi-tangentially. This isn't The Buster Thread.

Discussing how Biden or Trump would handle the crisis differently is fine. Biden's options for VP, outside of Whitmer, ultimately are not.

to be fair, Senator Warren published a Coronavirus response plan on January 28, so...

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Tony said:

Still haven't answered my question @Yearnin' for Yermin, or responded to the above...

What’s worse, Biden saying it on accident, or Trump saying it on purpose? 

I'd say it's equal. Trump saying it on purpose is reckless and stupid, as is typically with his incoherent ramblings. Biden saying it accidentally due to his deteriorating state of mind is arguably more worrisome out of a president.

I wouldn't blame either if somebody read those comments as idiotically concluded "I should shoot up with bleach right now". 

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Yearnin' for Yermin said:

I'd say it's equal. Trump saying it on purpose is reckless and stupid, as is typically with his incoherent ramblings. Biden saying it accidentally due to his deteriorating state of mind is arguably more worrisome out of a president.

I wouldn't blame either if somebody read those comments as idiotically concluded "I should shoot up with bleach right now". 

Apparently "finding a way to use this one type of bleach to kill it inside you" is actually a fringe idea that has some group in Florida and former republican candidate Alan Keyes supporting it. They wrote a letter to the President last weekend and got a nice quick endorsement by the President. So, there's already resources out there for people to do "research" by watching a few conspiratorial videos and determining that it's a great idea. 

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/apr/24/revealed-leader-group-peddling-bleach-cure-lobbied-trump-coronavirus

Over 2500 cases reported in illinois, a new peak by a lot. The good news is nearly 13000 tests were reported, the first time illinois broke over it's goal in late march of 10k.

Amazingly we seem to be at 20% positive rate each day. 

49 minutes ago, bmags said:

Over 2500 cases reported in illinois, a new peak by a lot. The good news is nearly 13000 tests were reported, the first time illinois broke over it's goal in late march of 10k.

It's an interesting statistic as testing is done on people showing symptoms.  I don't know if it's significant, but 20% of people with potential symptoms testing positive seems low.  However, if the symptoms are as generic as headache, fever, sore throat, and/or shortness of breath, I could see plenty of people wanting to be tested.  Hell, I get a headache a couple times a week.

Regardless, I would assume that the 20% positive rate will be pretty static for a while until we see the real benefit to the stay at home orders.

Let’s just put it this way.

Dr. Birx was (visibly uncomfortable yesterday, for perhaps the first time in public)...and even felt strongly enough about it that the official WH Coronavirus briefing transcript was changed to reflect she was NOT recommending any of Trump’s suggestions this morning.

The first time I heard the audio, it seemed like she was stumbling and in shock, then she quickly segued into “as a fever treatment” (meaning the extreme heat)...difficult to catch, so the original notes coming out made it seem like she was neutral on the topic or even okay with Trump’s suggestions.

That Birx reaction video (there was a similar one from Fauci weeks ago, putting hand over face in dismay) has been getting nonstop play all around the world, which won’t make her boss very happy, at all.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/24/politics/rudy-giuliani-donald-trump-laura-ingraham-coronavirus/index.html

Then there’s Rudy Giuliani, who makes Trump look like Neil Degrasse Tyson almost.

Edited by caulfield12
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, hogan873 said:

It's an interesting statistic as testing is done on people showing symptoms.  I don't know if it's significant, but 20% of people with potential symptoms testing positive seems low.  However, if the symptoms are as generic as headache, fever, sore throat, and/or shortness of breath, I could see plenty of people wanting to be tested.  Hell, I get a headache a couple times a week.

Regardless, I would assume that the 20% positive rate will be pretty static for a while until we see the real benefit to the stay at home orders.

I just think it's interesting that when we test 5000 on a day it's 20%, when we test 13000 its 20%, when its 8k its 20%.

But ideally we'd be closer to 20k and we are testing thousands that are just possible cases due to known contact.

1 hour ago, bmags said:

Do we have any idea when the tests are from? As in are they from today or tests processed a week ago?

2 minutes ago, bmags said:

I just think it's interesting that when we test 5000 on a day it's 20%, when we test 13000 its 20%, when its 8k its 20%.

But ideally we'd be closer to 20k and we are testing thousands that are just possible cases due to known contact.

I think that's key.  That should give us a better picture of how contagious it is and who might be more at risk.

• Like 1

At least as far as Illinois goes, the fact that the testing numbers have gone up so much lately and are getting a lot closer to goal, combined with the effective curve-flattening to avoid overwhelming the health system, and increased capacity added, plus the beginnings of a decent tracing system in the state... I am feeling like I can see a faint light at the end of the tunnel for the first time. Not nearly there yet, but seems like the progress is really where it should be. If the testing can continue building (which I think it will), and we can get some more effective treatments in place for before the vaccine is out there, I think we can see Illinois at least considering a broader re-opening in the June and July period (bit by bit, not all at once of course). There would have to be a "new normal" on some behaviors for people, but economically and in terms of overall virus control, there are decent signs.

The potential wrench in the works is just how much bounce-back might occur from the idiotic governors of those 8 to 10 states (which includes Iowa and Missouri right next door) who are hell-bent on opening up too early and/or never closed down enough (have you see Iowa's curve lately?). That's my biggest current worry.

• Like 1

Just spoke with my cousin in Huntsville, AL.

It’s crazy to imagine, but seems like ONE of the factors behind the rush to get things restarted across the South is the desire to see SEC Football this season.

There’s almost a perfect correlation with proposed states reopening (I guess you could make a similar albeit more tepid argument for NASCAR) and that particular athletic conference’s geographic spread.

Now the just shocking news reported by the NY Times  that Trump rarely attends the MEETINGS of the coronavirus task force...but obviously never passes the opportunity to be on t.v.

Edited by caulfield12

50 minutes ago, Soxbadger said:

Do we have any idea when the tests are from? As in are they from today or tests processed a week ago?

I've never heard of a backlog like that in illinois like california posts. Last week we heard that ILL had a breakthrough where a bunch of machines they put into hospitals in early april finally went online (they had been delayed weeks due to lack of technicians and installation errors). Also multiple drive thru testing places opened last week. I don't know how much of private labs illinois even uses to be honest (often the cali backlog comes from quest)

Trump just dodged all the questions in the press briefing and only read remarks already prepared for him.

That’s a first.   Just 20 minutes when they’ve been averaging 1:45. 

Apparently the “just being sarcastic” about loony Covid treatments defense hasn’t taken.  No Fauci or Birx today to make him look bad with their reactions.

LOL at the “Should Hillary Clinton finally be brought to justice?” banner ad at the top of the page from some entity called Conservative Buzz.   I guess a year from now it will be the same question posed about Ivanka and Jared.

Edited by caulfield12