COVID-19/Coronavirus thread

caulfield12

33 minutes ago, turnin' two said:

That doesn't mean you shouldn't point it out.  

But it really isn't worth this much conversation I guess.  Its just a silly thing to say at a time where a lot of silly things are being said.  So I guess you're right. 

It is a discussion worth having at some level, but it is one that should start with the President.

54 minutes ago, Texsox said:

He's president of the US. He can be in a mess like this and his base LOVES him. LOVES him. They will fight tooth and nail for him. The loyalty he has created is beyond anything I've seen in my lifetime. He wasn't exaggerating when he said he could shoot someone. 

He is quite literally causing people to kill themselves, but hey what about Obama.

1 minute ago, greg775 said:

So we think it's important for mental health and you are a champion of mental health. Oh that's right, only for certain people? So is mental health important or not? Can you answer? 

Are you honestly trying to tell me that your mental health depends on a f@#$ing haircut?  That is a kick in the nuts to those who actually struggle with mental health.  You should be ashamed of a statement like this.

• Thanks 4

5 hours ago, Texsox said:

Starve and die with long hair or get a gun -- it's your choice. We need you out there helping to spread the virus. Without volunteers like you the virus will wither and die. Even in the US there are still vast areas with no reported cases. That's unacceptable. We need people infected and moving around. This is your destiny. This is your moment in time. Go get that hair cut. Someone has to have an underground barbershop in Kansas. Resist the man and his attempt to stop this virus. 

Take care greg775 and thank you for always taking on the toughest points of view. 

How come I don't get credit for OBEYING. Can't I say I want a haircut and need a haircut on a message board? People can ignore my takes if they wish. I have obeyed all orders. I've not had a close conversation with a real person outside of the phone for weeks after weeks. Yes I go to the drive thru for coffee. Is it allowed for me to do so? Yes.

Can I help it we've gone from the most free, carefree land to being locked up in the last six weeks? Excuse me for having mental problems not getting used to 24/7 isolation. I thought mental health mattered to all individuals. I may have moaned on here some. Do you not have time to read my posts and dismiss them? They are that annoying?

I have obeyed 100 percent. Do I want to go to church? Hell yes. Or get a haircut? Hell yes? Have I done it? No. And yes I know of a place I can get a secret haircut. I haven't done it yet. 

p.s. It's a danger IMO to let these governors act like dictators. We are not assured freedom unless we keep them at bay a bit. They are not supreme powers!! They are acting like they love this power.

Bless America! As we continue to isolate.

Edited by greg775

4 minutes ago, greg775 said:

So we think it's important for mental health and you are a champion of mental health. Oh that's right, only for certain people? So is mental health important or not? Can you answer? 

My response is appropriate by the way because you started this "altercation" with your insensitive response. We're offering solutions to business owners troubles. Certain amount of people in the shops, six feet apart at all times, holding masks to face to block transmission. Our solutions don't matter right? Stay in at all costs to the economy and mental health.

On one hand, you can't get a haircut.

On the other hand, healthcare workers will likely be dealing with PTSD from this for years, if not their entire lives. States that opened up early for haircuts will probably have second spikes, burdening those healthcare workers even more. I don't need to link the story of the doctor who died from suicide.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Quin said:

On the other hand, healthcare workers will likely be dealing with PTSD from this for years, if not their entire lives. States that opened up early for haircuts will probably have second spikes, burdening those healthcare workers even more. I don't need to link the story of the doctor who died from suicide.

My mental health revolves around the need to shoot my AK47 into the air randomly.  If a bullet comes down and hits someone, too bad, beacuse my mental health.

• Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, Quin said:

What is the point of shaming anyone.  A lot of you are ignoring the fact that everyone is being impacted by this...everyone. Some worse than others but wow, some of you aren't willing to empathize with others as well.  

• Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

Right, but those people aren't the majority, and a lot of people who do kiss his ass, I am sure can't stand him, but chose party over country and the R, even though like the rest of Trump, is fake in his case, rules.

But he doesn't need a majority. He figured that out. And he fires them up to go vote. It's bunker mentality at it's finest. And anyone against him is against his supporters. The media,  courts, even fellow Republicans. He just needs to be attacked from somebody. Brilliant. 

7 minutes ago, Quin said:

The economy is a shambles. It will get worse if we don''t open up the cities. We need compromise. We can be shut down no longer. Most people I know have been laid off jobs. This matters as well. Blame the businesses not me and my friends. Some friends are going to be asking for money. They are BROKE. I feel for all healthcare. My brother is a nurse; my niece is a nurse. My buddy is an anasthesiologist. Aside from doctors THE MOST affected by germs.

Re. the haircut. I b**** and moan yet still I've obeyed.

I'm done for now. I'll return to this thread tonight and give it a rest lest I get in trouble.

Edited by greg775

3 hours ago, bmags said:

I want to throw some of the opposite out.

While the federal government has been often terrible here in the places i think it can make the biggest impact (purchasing power, borrowing)

- State and local governments have been doing quite well in addressing the pandemic, including some very ambitious and amazing work to get additional PPE and testing set-up. 

So, slight switch in topic here, but I still haven't forgotten early March when Gov. Cuomo was confidently showing off his prison-made hand sanitizer and DiBlasio was confidently saying "We have 1200 hospital beds available" and "New York is open for business" when I see my current state's leadership saying how they intend to be a model for other states opening up safely and how my soon-to-be-former university's chancellor is insisting there will be college football in the fall.

Don't over-sell until we see the results. Cuomo and DiBlasio may have provided a calming voice during, but their actions in early March were key to why it exploded there specifically.

2 minutes ago, greg775 said:

The economy is a shambles. It will get worse if we don''t open up the cities. We need compromise. We can be shut down no longer. Most people I know have been laid off jobs. This matters as well. Blame the businesses not me and my friends. Some friends are going to be asking for money. They are BROKE. I feel for all healthcare. My brother is a nurse; my niece is a nurse. My buddy is an anasthesiologist. Aside from doctors THE MOST affected by germs.

Yes, the economy is in shambles, the worst it has been in decades. But if you open up too soon, the deaths will mount up even more, and you will have to shut down again. And the purpose of the stimulus was to help people, imperfect and inadequate as that is. Any opening up will have to be measured. People have to realize this is pandemic,  and even if we open up, we will have to do it with some care. Sending people back into infested meat packing plants Is not the answer. How about this? How about Trump using the full power of the federal government to help instead of dreaming of some fucking rally with 25,000? Wouldn't that be refreshing for a change?

• Love 4

14 minutes ago, greg775 said:

I'm done for now. I'll return to this thread tonight and give it a rest lest I get in trouble.

what do you think opening restaurants at 25% capacity is going to accomplish other than make someone file for bankruptcy faster? The way they are opening these states isn't going to generate much. How do you shop at a retail store? You can't touch the clothes unless you are buying them. You can't try them on, and you can't return them. And then people will get sick and all of your sitting at home will be for naught. You have to finish the social distancing job, or it's going to get bad again.

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Texsox said:

But he doesn't need a majority. He figured that out. And he fires them up to go vote. It's bunker mentality at it's finest. And anyone against him is against his supporters. The media,  courts, even fellow Republicans. He just needs to be attacked from somebody. Brilliant. 

He doesn't even have to be attacked. He'll just make something up. The worlds biggest victim. Was born into hundreds of millions of dollars, skipped out on the war, dad paid for his degree, went bankrupt several times, and became POTUS when he had 3 million fewer votes than his opponent. The guy can't catch a break.

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, greg775 said:

How come I don't get credit for OBEYING. Can't I say I want a haircut and need a haircut on a message board? People can ignore my takes if they wish. I have obeyed all orders. I've not had a close conversation with a real person outside of the phone for weeks after weeks. Yes I go to the drive thru for coffee. Is it allowed for me to do so? Yes.

Can I help it we've gone from the most free, carefree land to being locked up in the last six weeks? Excuse me for having mental problems not getting used to 24/7 isolation. I thought mental health mattered to all individuals. I may have moaned on here some. Do you not have time to read my posts and dismiss them? They are that annoying?

I have obeyed 100 percent. Do I want to go to church? Hell yes. Or get a haircut? Hell yes? Have I done it? No. And yes I know of a place I can get a secret haircut. I haven't done it yet. 

p.s. It's a danger IMO to let these governors act like dictators. We are not assured freedom unless we keep them at bay a bit. They are not supreme powers!! They are acting like they love this power.

Bless America! As we continue to isolate.

You should get credit for obeying. Just like we all do when we don't run red lights or knock off a liquor store for crack money.

We all understand that to feel good you have to look good. In fact it is better to look good than to feel good. I hear Washington actually crossed the Delaware to get a haircut. 

We should have seen this coming when we allowed those power hungry tyrants to paint stripes on the roads to keep cars apart.  I have studied my history, Washington, Jefferson, and those leaders never demanded we stay on one side of a trail. There was freedom. Now they have even put up walls and guardrails to make it even harder to drive where you want. Of course they love making people stay at home. It greatly reduces the amount of money people pay in taxes. 

Greg775 If I thought for a moment you were actually serious I would tone down the comedy. But this is your act. I actually enjoy how you always find a path to a character that amuses. The haircut things is genius. I'm serious here when I say you really should find an improv class. I think you are a natural. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

28 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

He doesn't even have to be attacked. He'll just make something up. The worlds biggest victim. Was born into hundreds of millions of dollars, skipped out on the war, dad paid for his degree, went bankrupt several times, and became POTUS when he had 3 million fewer votes than his opponent. The guy can't catch a break.

So am I right? Best political strategist of all time? He knows the American public better than we know ourselves. 

52 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

what do you think opening restaurants at 25% capacity is going to accomplish other than make someone file for bankruptcy faster? The way they are opening these states isn't going to generate much. How do you shop at a retail store? You can't touch the clothes unless you are buying them. You can't try them on, and you can't return them. And then people will get sick and all of your sitting at home will be for naught. You have to finish the social distancing job, or it's going to get bad again.

It's to get low-wage workers off of unemployment. If the business is technically open and an employee gets called back, they have no choice - they can't turn down the job just because they're worried about being exposed - if they turn down a job voluntarily they lose their unemployment benefits. So the state saves some money off the top, and if some people who don't matter get sick...

• Like 1
  • Love 1

1 minute ago, Balta1701 said:

It's to get low-wage workers off of unemployment. If the business is technically open and an employee gets called back, they have no choice - they can't turn down the job just because they're worried about being exposed - if they turn down a job voluntarily they lose their unemployment benefits. So the state saves some money off the top, and if some people who don't matter get sick...

I wonder if those tend to be poorer people or POC....

• Like 2

1 hour ago, greg775 said:

My response is appropriate by the way because you started this "altercation" with your insensitive response. We're offering solutions to business owners troubles. Certain amount of people in the shops, six feet apart at all times, holding masks to face to block transmission. Our solutions don't matter right? Stay in at all costs to the economy and mental health.

Getting your haircut isn't mental health Greg, it's vanity.   Everything you b**** about, Starbucks, shopping, haircut, vanity.  Don't ever try and drop your bullshit in my lap, you have been whining about a haircut since you FOUND OUT ABOUT A SHUTDOWN.  

you want to talk about insensitive? How is a barber supposed to cut your hair from six feet away?   Who is going to cover for a barber if they actually get sick because someone comes in and transmits the virus to them because "AWWW MY HAIR IS LONG IT MAKES MY HEAD HURT".   Do you even know a stylist or barber personally?  I do.  She is fucking petrified of this, she is on meds To treat her chrones disease and she is scared she could be immunocompromised and get covid.

but yea, you keep on whining about your hair Greg.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

29 minutes ago, greg775 said:

Look man, I get it.

My contract was going to be converted to a staff position before this hit. I'll likely lose my job once it ends next month and have to stock up on seizure meds after I lose my healthcare.

My fiancee and I will probably have to postpone our wedding, which we've been planning for over a year, and have already poured a lot of money into. Our honeymoon was the first real vacation either of us were going to have had in 9 years.

I got a suicidal brother in California flouting social distancing rules because he and his friends don't care. Ironically, he's a germaphobe, so he's still taking precautions, buts it's infuriating.

And trust me, I'd really love to get a haircut right now. But I know I'm one of the luckier one's right now if this is honestly all I'm dealing with.

But like I said, I get it. b**** and moan about the haircut - if you need to vent about it and don't feel safe on the general board, DM me. I'll listen to you and won't mock you, and I'm sorry for contrasting you with healthcare workers. Just please think about this next time you say younger generations are coddled or soft, etc. as you used to.

59 minutes ago, Texsox said:

So am I right? Best political strategist of all time? He knows the American public better than we know ourselves. 

It is hard to judge history without living through it, but it would be hard to argue that he isn't the best in my lifetime.

1 hour ago, Texsox said:

You should get credit for obeying. Just like we all do when we don't run red lights or knock off a liquor store for crack money.

We all understand that to feel good you have to look good. In fact it is better to look good than to feel good. I hear Washington actually crossed the Delaware to get a haircut. 

We should have seen this coming when we allowed those power hungry tyrants to paint stripes on the roads to keep cars apart.  I have studied my history, Washington, Jefferson, and those leaders never demanded we stay on one side of a trail. There was freedom. Now they have even put up walls and guardrails to make it even harder to drive where you want. Of course they love making people stay at home. It greatly reduces the amount of money people pay in taxes. 

Greg775 If I thought for a moment you were actually serious I would tone down the comedy. But this is your act. I actually enjoy how you always find a path to a character that amuses. The haircut things is genius. I'm serious here when I say you really should find an improv class. I think you are a natural. 

Would this be the wrong time to point out that while I understand the green color behind this post, that the real George Washington utilized mandatory curfews both for soldiers and residents, mandatory vaccines for his troops, no movement orders, and when those didn't work he and his entire Government abandoned Philadelphia (Washington headed for Mount Vernon) for social distancing, all to fight pandemics like smallpox and yellow fever?  Because if it is the wrong time, I won't do it.

• Haha 3

This is only half rivalry...but seriously, compared to Purdue's "Unfortunately we delayed herd immunity (and didn't kill a few hundred thousand Hoosiers)" statement from their president, or the "There will be football this fall!" that just came out today from Texas A&M, this statement from Indiana's president is so much more spot on. "We don't know what things will look like this fall yet, here are 5 possible things we are planning for, and we will make the best decision we can when we're able to do so"

https://president.iu.edu/speeches/statements/2020/04-30-plans-for-restarting-operations.html

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Chisoxfn said:

What is the point of shaming anyone.  A lot of you are ignoring the fact that everyone is being impacted by this...everyone. Some worse than others but wow, some of you aren't willing to empathize with others as well.  

Social pressures like shame can be powerful and effective. Better than police enforcement.