COVID-19/Coronavirus thread

caulfield12

4 hours ago, The Beast said:

If only the current occupant of the White House could be as compassionate and uniting.

Trump should just go quietly into retirement. He's in the history books as president. He's got such a huge ego, just quit while he's still healthy and write books and hang out. Let Biden take over even though Joe is kinda old. He better pick a good Veep candidate. I have a feeling it's gonna be Warren or Michelle if she'll do it. Harris is too risky IMO.

5 hours ago, Yearnin' for Yermin said:

tenor.gif

For all of his faults, he at least seems to be more about service than self. I can’t say the same about the man who says he is treated more unfairly than Lincoln.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, greg775 said:

Trump should just go quietly into retirement. He's in the history books as president. He's got such a huge ego, just quit while he's still healthy and write books and hang out. Let Biden take over even though Joe is kinda old. He better pick a good Veep candidate. I have a feeling it's gonna be Warren or Michelle if she'll do it. Harris is too risky IMO.

It isn’t going to be Warren or Obama. Biden will only serve one term, if that. So the person filling his shoes needs to be a leader for the Democratic Party in 2024 and beyond. Harris and Abrams fit that bill more than Warren or Obama do.

1 hour ago, The Beast said:

For all of his faults, he at least seems to be more about service than self. I can’t say the same about the man who says he is treated more unfairly than Lincoln.

Among his faults are "war criminal" so yea I can understand why people don't want to see his name being brought up as a shining beacon of hope from the past.

• Thanks 3

12 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

Among his faults are "war criminal" so yea I can understand why people don't want to see his name being brought up as a shining beacon of hope from the past.

Exactly. It bugs me when people bring him up as a "shining beacon of hope". He is one of the worst presidents in history. Just a complete disaster.

Edited by Yearnin' for Yermin
  • Haha 1
  • Love 1

WTH???

Some label their expected second civil war “the boogaloo,” and experts have tracked a spike in interest in the term on social media, plus a proliferation of advice on how to prepare.

The name is a pop culture reference derived from a 1984 movie flop that became a cult classic called “Breakin’ 2: Electric Boogaloo.” It went through various mutations and emerged sometimes as the “Big Igloo” or the “Big Luau.” That is why adherents sometimes wear Hawaiian shirts, say those who track them. Many such shirts were in evidence when armed protesters stormed the state capital in Lansing, Michigan, on Thursday; and they have appeared in rallies across the country.

Enthusiasts riff on the name, calling themselves “boojihadeen” or “the boog.” Not all those in the “boogaloo” movement are white supremacists, but groups who track hate culture find some overlap in terms of Nazi iconography and other extremist symbols.

There are some 125 such groups on Facebook, more than 60% created this year, according to a report from the Tech Transparency Project of the Campaign for Accountability, a nonprofit watchdog group.

Facebook, which had previously said it wrestled with the term because it is also the name of a popular music genre, issued a statement Friday saying it would remove posts that link the term to violence.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/coronavirus-becomes-battle-cry-u-120054248.html

Edited by caulfield12

13 hours ago, greg775 said:

I heard it is fake on TV I believe it's fake. Nobody is going to make a sign that out of left field. I heard it was actually a sign supporting the first responders.

Yeah, I remember when anti-Semitism ended too. Thank God that's just a common German phrase that we all know and love.

• Haha 2

Hopefully I'm wrong but it seems like the US is largely giving up on the idea of containing this. We're nowhere near the testing levels we need, and states are either just opening up right now as their numbers go up up up, or they're announcing plans to open up more and more within a month or so. Even states like Illinois are relaxing restrictions weeks before the predicted peak let alone a ways down the slow decline.

4 minutes ago, StrangeSox said:

Hopefully I'm wrong but it seems like the US is largely giving up on the idea of containing this. We're nowhere near the testing levels we need, and states are either just opening up right now as their numbers go up up up, or they're announcing plans to open up more and more within a month or so. Even states like Illinois are relaxing restrictions weeks before the predicted peak let alone a ways down the slow decline.

They are.  The next thing on the list is to start rolling back reporting of stats, so that the public information on deaths and cases disappears as this reemerges and people go back to work.

I saw Indiana is planning on allowing 4th of July parades/festivals and gatherings of 250 people starting in mid June. 

Meanwhile, the New York Times got details of an internal Administration report

The Trump administration projects about 3,000 daily deaths by early June.
As President Trump presses for states to reopen their economies, his administration is privately projecting a steady rise in the number of cases and deaths from coronavirus over the next several weeks, reaching about 3,000 daily deaths on June 1, according to an internal document obtained by The New York Times, nearly double from the current level of about 1,750.
The projections, based on modeling by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and pulled together in chart form by the Federal Emergency Management Agency, forecast about 200,000 new cases each day by the end of the month, up from about 25,000 cases now.
The numbers underscore a sobering reality: While the United States has been hunkered down for the past seven weeks, not much has changed. And the reopening to the economy will make matters worse.

6 minutes ago, StrangeSox said:

Maybe not: It's one thing to say you are opening up it's another to do it. Kansas counties have a right to overrule the governor. Governor is being cautious to begin with and still Douglas County has said no to all her very mild suggestions. Nobody's going to open things up to where you can go to church or a game or a crowded restaurant.

Things are not going to open up, folks. There will be still a few corona cases out there or a lot, whatever, and either governors or counties will say "nope." The crucial part is all these towns with colleges. If they say they are open for business, will the counties overrule the universities?

3 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

They are.  The next thing on the list is to start rolling back reporting of stats, so that the public information on deaths and cases disappears as this reemerges and people go back to work.

No haircuts until July is not exactly opening things up.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, caulfield12 said:

WTH???

Some label their expected second civil war “the boogaloo,” and experts have tracked a spike in interest in the term on social media, plus a proliferation of advice on how to prepare.

The name is a pop culture reference derived from a 1984 movie flop that became a cult classic called “Breakin’ 2: Electric Boogaloo.” It went through various mutations and emerged sometimes as the “Big Igloo” or the “Big Luau.” That is why adherents sometimes wear Hawaiian shirts, say those who track them. Many such shirts were in evidence when armed protesters stormed the state capital in Lansing, Michigan, on Thursday; and they have appeared in rallies across the country.

Enthusiasts riff on the name, calling themselves “boojihadeen” or “the boog.” Not all those in the “boogaloo” movement are white supremacists, but groups who track hate culture find some overlap in terms of Nazi iconography and other extremist symbols.

There are some 125 such groups on Facebook, more than 60% created this year, according to a report from the Tech Transparency Project of the Campaign for Accountability, a nonprofit watchdog group.

Facebook, which had previously said it wrestled with the term because it is also the name of a popular music genre, issued a statement Friday saying it would remove posts that link the term to violence.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/coronavirus-becomes-battle-cry-u-120054248.html

If there is another Civil War, that's the end of America. China will back the side with the fewer amount of people and help wipe out that side with the most amount of people. They won't resist the temptation to destroy half the United States. And in War, all bets are off. I guess some religious people could say Trump truly was the antichrist starting armageddon (if the Civil War does take place).

We need to start working together, people. Everything is a big fight. Instead of compromising and working together to open the economy (which we need) as well as do our best to fight COVID, we have to take sides. One said cusses out the other: How dare you not isolate yourself? How dare you not wear masks? And the other side: How dare you tell me to stay cooped up two months?? How dare you to tell me I can't go to church or get a haircut!!

Instead of working together it's ALWAYS taking a radical position and HATING ON those who take the other position. Bye bye America if this continues.

Edited by greg775

7 minutes ago, StrangeSox said:

I saw Indiana is planning on allowing 4th of July parades/festivals and gatherings of 250 people starting in mid June. 

Meanwhile, the New York Times got details of an internal Administration report

The Trump administration projects about 3,000 daily deaths by early June.
As President Trump presses for states to reopen their economies, his administration is privately projecting a steady rise in the number of cases and deaths from coronavirus over the next several weeks, reaching about 3,000 daily deaths on June 1, according to an internal document obtained by The New York Times, nearly double from the current level of about 1,750.
The projections, based on modeling by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and pulled together in chart form by the Federal Emergency Management Agency, forecast about 200,000 new cases each day by the end of the month, up from about 25,000 cases now.
The numbers underscore a sobering reality: While the United States has been hunkered down for the past seven weeks, not much has changed. And the reopening to the economy will make matters worse.

Their goal is for full openness on the 4th of July.  The restrictions are already being lifted, even as we are still seeing highs in cases.  They don't care.  People need haircuts and to get to the Indy 500.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, StrangeSox said:

I think it's fine for states to open up things that they revise to be low-risk. And when you allow garden centers to open you marginally increase risk in one way (going to the store) while decreasing it in others (less likely to hire landscapers/ gardening is a stay at home activity).

Curbside pickup, etc., a lot of these stores allowed this were still working but doing delivery. Not much of a change.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Their goal is for full openness on the 4th of July.  The restrictions are already being lifted, even as we are still seeing highs in cases.  They don't care.  People need haircuts and to get to the Indy 500.

I think you guys are over-reacting. When the time comes around, the stay at home lockdown orders will continue.  We are in phase one in Kansas. Guess what that means: We can get coffee and pop at Quick Trips again. We can do NOTHING ELSE that was prohibited before. No haircuts. No restaurants open. No coffee shops. NOTHING. It's the same.

Edited by greg775
  • Haha 1

Lots of other states are taking different paths than Kansas, greg.

edit: forgot to include the NYT link above,

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/05/04/us/coronavirus-updates.html

At least 1,000 people with the virus, and sometimes more than 2,000, have died every day for the last month. On a near-daily basis, at least 25,000 new cases of the virus are being identified across the country. And even as New York City, New Orleans and Detroit have shown improvement, other urban centers, including Chicago and Los Angeles, are reporting steady growth in cases.

The situation has devolved most dramatically in parts of rural America that were largely spared in the early stages of the pandemic. As food processing facilities and prisons have emerged as some of the country’s largest case clusters, the counties that include Logansport, Ind., South Sioux City, Neb., and Marion, Ohio, have surpassed New York City in cases per capita.

This is largely hitting poorer and non-white communities along with the elderly in nursing homes, all groups that are already regularly marginalized.

Edited by StrangeSox

14 hours ago, greg775 said:

I heard it is fake on TV I believe it's fake. Nobody is going to make a sign that out of left field. I heard it was actually a sign supporting the first responders.

Video of the completely real sign.

41 minutes ago, bmags said:

I think it's fine for states to open up things that they revise to be low-risk. And when you allow garden centers to open you marginally increase risk in one way (going to the store) while decreasing it in others (less likely to hire landscapers/ gardening is a stay at home activity).

Curbside pickup, etc., a lot of these stores allowed this were still working but doing delivery. Not much of a change.

1. The problem is - outside of New York, cases around the rest of the country have been growing at 17% per day for the past few weeks. New York coming down from crisis state has made the overall country look better, but "not much of a change" when things have been on a slow growth path means...continually increasing case numbers. So yeah, curbside pickup is nice, but it's only almost flattened the curve.

2. I haven't seen anything that makes me believe we have a good understanding of what types of behaviors are low-risk. We bounce from one statement about how long it lives in the air under certain conditions to another, there's just not been enough time to understand the lifespan of this thing. Furthermore, you can't just consider "opening garden centers increases risk one way", you have to consider the whole setup to assess that. Are more people going to the gas station? If they go to the garden center do they take more trips outside elsewhere? Were the landscapers moving in large or small groups? No state has had time to actually assess any of that.

3. When case numbers are already increasing, allowing slight increases to in-person interaction...well there's only one place that ends.

40 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

1. The problem is - outside of New York, cases around the rest of the country have been growing at 17% per day for the past few weeks. New York coming down from crisis state has made the overall country look better, but "not much of a change" when things have been on a slow growth path means...continually increasing case numbers. So yeah, curbside pickup is nice, but it's only almost flattened the curve.

2. I haven't seen anything that makes me believe we have a good understanding of what types of behaviors are low-risk. We bounce from one statement about how long it lives in the air under certain conditions to another, there's just not been enough time to understand the lifespan of this thing. Furthermore, you can't just consider "opening garden centers increases risk one way", you have to consider the whole setup to assess that. Are more people going to the gas station? If they go to the garden center do they take more trips outside elsewhere? Were the landscapers moving in large or small groups? No state has had time to actually assess any of that.

3. When case numbers are already increasing, allowing slight increases to in-person interaction...well there's only one place that ends.

And every single extra interaction and chance of an interaction increases the chances of transmission exponentially.

1 hour ago, StrangeSox said:

Lots of other states are taking different paths than Kansas, greg.

edit: forgot to include the NYT link above,

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/05/04/us/coronavirus-updates.html

This is largely hitting poorer and non-white communities along with the elderly in nursing homes, all groups that are already regularly marginalized.

That is the most scary part of this.  The biggest outbreaks are happening where there is the most density, combined with the least chances of proper distancing.  Prisons and Nursing homes are seeing this spread like wildfire if even one case is found.  If you start re-creating these same conditions in places like public transit, malls, factories, etc, you will see the numbers start to explode again.  This seems incredibly obvious to me.