COVID-19/Coronavirus thread

caulfield12

37 minutes ago, greg775 said:

They aren't going to get through this. Homelessness will be calling when the credit card companies want their money.

Nobody is talking about the economy just shaming about masks and staying at home. Nobody even wants to work it seems.

Americans are hoarding and using their charge cards to do so. On a Monday night tonight I was absolutely shocked at the crowds at the grocery stores. All people do are sleep, get up, eat, self school their kids, take  a walk, then go to the store and fill up with their credit cards. Before the pandemic all u heard about was people living paycheck to paycheck and not saving for retirement. Now they are maxing out their credit cards on food and toilet paper and cleanser and tylenon and other drugs they think they'll need.

I read today there is a movement going on for a second Civil War. If the unrest hits, rioting, etc., it'll be all over. The rich better not flaunt their wealth, that is for sure, because we are going to have so many homeless  with unemployment to be around 40-50 percent minimum, it'll shock you.

Greg - I'll give you what my day looks like (and I will caveat that I'm a lucky family that in which both my wife & I have thus far maintained our jobs *knock on wood* ).  I'll give a before & after.  But let me just say that my personal day is nothing like what you describe above (and despite all the challenges I know damn well that I am very lucky to be in the situation we are in (and hopefully we can remain in this situation).  

Before Virus: 

- M:F = Wife = At work @ 6:00 AM - Gets off Around 4:30 & Goes to Pick Up Each of Our Kids; She is responsible for Dinner Mon-Thursday and kids homework etc (we prep over weekend, so largely we can reheat food that we had cooked in preperation); I get home for bed-time routine with our kids (most night...unless I have to work late in which case I'll work very late so I can be home @ reasonable time other nights) 

-  M;F = Me = AM take kids to school (each go to seperate school); Get to work around 8:30 and am at work until 6:30-7 most nights; During my busy time (quarter-end / year end / plan & budget season), I have a couple nights each week that are much later; By and large lunch is at my desk (in between meetings) and/or eaten during a meeting; Nights I get home, spend time with kids (story time is my thing with the kids, talk to them about their day, and tuck them in to bed). If busy...get back and do a bit more work (if there is anything urgent...again...need to do because I have drop-off duties for kids).  

Weekend: Family time; Youth Sports / Other Activities / Hikes with family or just General Adventures (usually we get in quite a bit of physical activities, etc and than have relaxing dinners at home; maybe grab lunch out and get together with extended family)

With Virus:

- Both of us continue to work.  The only thing that has changed is, we don't commute (which is great I might add). Instead, schooling our children (5 & 6 years old) has pivoted to our responsibility. This is on top of our normal commitments to work.  My wife & I are still expected to do what needs to be done work wise and we both try our best to make sure we are delivering for our kids. Neither of us are school teachers, so are we perfect, no, but we do the best we can and basically this becomes a new focus for us during the day where we will prioritize time with them.  We make sure to each dedicate time (when we aren't in meetings, etc) to just hanging out with them (and this has been truly fantastic - something we don't regularly get to do). But whatever we put in with the kids, we make up later on @ night as we still have our work responsibilities, which, have largely gotten more difficult (post COVID vs. pre COVID). More analysis, unique tech challenges, etc.  We make sure we eat lunch & dinner as a family each night and get out on a nightly exercise too (really key for us - because being cooped up is hard); To extent we can...we also try to do during lunch.  

- Weekends aren't actually that much different (pre vs. post), other than youth sports are shot and instead we spend our own time playing outdoors, going on bike rides, just getting good outdoor time. And of course everything is spent with us as a family (vs. with friends), with exception that on Sundays, we still have them see their 2 cousins (shame me all you want - but we are both complying and it is a risk I'll take (*knock on wood*).  I also (individually) go on a weekly run to the store, where I buy a weekly food supply (I bought a bunch of frozen meat & veggies when the initial pandemic hit and have just been buying weekly fresh food allotments that cover my weekly needs at this point; if things went south, I have a few weeks of frozen meats & veggies before having to switch to canned beans, pasta, etc).  

- Personally speaking - I've never been more tired because I'm working more hours (not less) and adding in schooling my kids (because virtual learning puts 95% of the work on the parent vs. the teacher (at least at my kids age - and everyone I've talked to with kids in similar ages have had the same views).  Good news is my kids emotionally are 110% okay (other than being scared by the fact that my wife & I are just not nearly as effective to trained professionals (& not as patient) when it comes to teaching various curriculum).  

- Spending Wise - I am spending less money now vs. before because we eat in 85-90% of the time (w/2 takeout/pickup meals a week (+ an iced coffee on the weekend); we pick local restaurants we like and make sure we order from them to support them and than have been tipping more to try and do our part (since we are lucky to maintain our jobs).  We'll do that as long as we can continue to do so (and again...very much frequenting the places we like best).  

• Thanks 3

16 minutes ago, Soxbadger said:

Maybe its time for another new deal, where we work together to make sure that even in times of crisis everyone can eat, get medical treatment and have a minimum quality of life.

We can do it, we just have to prioritize. In the last few months people are starting to realize that the people who work at the grocery store, who work at the factory are important, maybe more important than the millionaires who are making money on stocks and dividends.

When something bad happens you should use it as an opportunity to improve. 

I said very early in this thread, we can come out of this crisis stronger & more together.  We can fund a lot of cheap infrastructure growth & ultra low interest rates and do things that can create massive jobs and overall sustainable growth in our economy (after we get through this) but only if we can come together as a society and get real progress in Washington. The current environment (and I WILL CONTINUE to blame both sides of the aisle) is doing nothing but driving greater differences and non-existent change (just worthless talk on both sides).  

19 minutes ago, Soxbadger said:

Maybe its time for another new deal, where we work together to make sure that even in times of crisis everyone can eat, get medical treatment and have a minimum quality of life.

We can do it, we just have to prioritize. In the last few months people are starting to realize that the people who work at the grocery store, who work at the factory are important, maybe more important than the millionaires who are making money on stocks and dividends.

When something bad happens you should use it as an opportunity to improve. 

We need a massive entrepreneurship initiative...but geared more to the needs of the next 20-30 years.

It’s not about maintaining what worked (or hadn’t yet failed) until February...but reimagining shopping malls, community centers, public health, how to encourage social connections in neighborhood instead of watching them fray as we become increasingly fearful of “others” who are different, however one goes about defining it.

That shouldn’t be partisan.

9 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

I said very early in this thread, we can come out of this crisis stronger & more together.  We can fund a lot of cheap infrastructure growth & ultra low interest rates and do things that can create massive jobs and overall sustainable growth in our economy (after we get through this) but only if we can come together as a society and get real progress in Washington. The current environment (and I WILL CONTINUE to blame both sides of the aisle) is doing nothing but driving greater differences and non-existent change (just worthless talk on both sides).  

2 hours ago, Chisoxfn said:

Plus Vitamin D may actually have a positive impact on an individuals ability to fight this (in general Vitamin D is good) and exercise and being out flat out counters the risk of increased diabetes, hypertension and everything else from people being locked in their houses consistently.  A happy medium is opening things up, but requiring mandatory masks (I don't get why this isn't just a fed thing - it flat out works) and be reasonable about what you open up (i.e,. no amusement parks, no full openings of restaurants, no fans in attendance to live sports). Keep those crazy things in check until this thing has passed.  If we do this...I think they can keep things manageable. 

There is obviously going to me more infections with the above than a complete stay at home order, but I also think in general it is likely a happy medium that will manage economic devastation with human devastation (i.e. lives lost).  There is some trade off and I'm glad I'm not the one making the decision on that. 

I knew this was bothering me when I read the first one, then I read the second one and...

You want us in one post to "come together as a society" and in the other post "make a tradeoff and let lives be lost". 

I hope you can see how the people whose lives stand a good chance of being lost might not want to "come together to have their lives be lost". So whoever you blame...I'm not ok with my life being lost for a "happy medium".

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

We need a massive entrepreneurship initiative...but geared more to the needs of the next 20-30 years.

It’s not about maintaining what worked (or hadn’t yet failed) until February...but reimagining shopping malls, community centers, public health, how to encourage social connections in neighborhood instead of watching them fray as we become increasingly fearful of “others” who are different, however one goes about defining it.

That shouldn’t be partisan.

I'm using this time to remember what is really important. Its the time with those you are close to (family and/or friends).  It isn't the regular trips to the mall or any of the other non-sense.  In fact, the only thing i personally really miss (outside of being able to see friends) is my attachment to live sports (forget attending in person - just being able to watch).  

But I try to be a glass half full kind of guy (whenever and wherever possible).  Now I'll caveat that times like this clearly bring on additional stress - but I've calmed significantly from when we first started locking everything down; I'll do the best I can and will hunker down and fight through however I can and have built up good relationships with our neighbors (that didn't exist before) and I know if things got bad, we'll find ways to help each other too.  But I very much worry about the economy and how deep this cut will be and obviously worry about what will happen over next 3-24 months (or whenever this thing ends).  

35 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

I knew this was bothering me when I read the first one, then I read the second one and...

You want us in one post to "come together as a society" and in the other post "make a tradeoff and let lives be lost". 

I hope you can see how the people whose lives stand a good chance of being lost might not want to "come together to have their lives be lost". So whoever you blame...I'm not ok with my life being lost for a "happy medium".

You and I will not see eye to eye on this (and I understand this). My opinion is There is a trade off and there has to be one. We make trade offs every day as a society. If the answer was do x or do y than you need to evaluate pros and cons to x and y.  That is a fact. 

Do you think the USA would act the same based upon below sets? Should they act the same? I would argue they shouldn’t. I will admit I don’t have any data so I don’t know what we are talking about when it comes to the net impact. I do know that you and I would agree that if this government did a better job responding we wouldn’t be in our current state (and it was this type of scenario that drove me to absolutely not vote for Trump). 

Situation 1: Bad flu or flu like virus. Model projects additional 25k deaths in us (with no intervention). Intervention can reduce by 75%.

Situation 2: New virus, minimal immunity. 500k - 1M deaths (with no intervention); intervention can reduce deaths by 75%. 

Lets assume intervention in either scenario looks like what we are doing for covid today.  What decision do you think is made under both scenarios. 

3 hours ago, Chisoxfn said:

No - You and I will not see eye to eye on this. There is a trade off and there has to be one. We make trade offs every day as a society. If the answer was do x or do y than you need to evaluate pros and cons to x and y.  That is a fact. 

Do you think the us would act the same based upon below sets? Should they act the same? You are implying they should but I would argue they shouldn’t. 

Situation 1: Bad flu or flu like virus. Model projects additional 25k deaths in us (with no intervention). Intervention can reduce by 75%.

Situation 2: New virus, minimal immunity. 500k - 1M deaths (with no intervention); intervention can reduce deaths by 75%. 

Lets assume intervention in either scenario looks like what we are doing for covid today.  What decision do you think is made under both scenarios. 

Situation 1 is pretty close to Swine Flu.

The number of confirmed cases was approximately 1.6 million.[6] However, some studies estimated that the actual number could be 700 million to 1.4 billion people—or 11 to 21 percent of the global population of 6.8 billion at the time.[12] The lower value of 700 million is more than the 500 million people estimated to have been infected by the Spanish flu pandemic.[13]

The number of lab-confirmed deaths reported to the WHO is 18,449,[7] though this 2009 H1N1 flu pandemic is estimated to have actually caused about 284,000 (range from 150,000 to 575,000) deaths.[14] A follow-up study done in September 2010 showed that the risk of serious illness resulting from the 2009 H1N1 flu was no higher than that of the yearly seasonal flu.[15] For comparison, the WHO estimates that 250,000 to 500,000 people die of seasonal flu annually.[9]

wikipedia

(CNN) A man accused of shoving an Austin, Texas, park ranger into the water while the ranger was explaining to a crowd the need for social distancing is embarrassed by his actions, his lawyer said.

A video that gained attention after it was posted on social media includes the moment a young man pushes the ranger into a lake at Commons Ford Ranch Metro Park last Thursday afternoon.

Brandon Hicks, 25, faces a charge of attempted assault on a public servant, a state jail felony, said the Travis County Sheriff's Office.

According to an arrest affidavit, ranger Cassidy Stillwell was talking to a crowd of people, described as "unlawfully drinking and smoking," on a dock near Lake Austin. It's unclear from the affidavit whether Hicks was part of that group mentioned in the affidavit.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/05/04/us/social-distancing-ranger-pushing-lake-covid-19-trnd/index.html

Edited by caulfield12

1 hour ago, Chisoxfn said:

Greg - I'll give you what my day looks like (and I will caveat that I'm a lucky family that in which both my wife & I have thus far maintained our jobs *knock on wood* ).  I'll give a before & after.  But let me just say that my personal day is nothing like what you describe above (and despite all the challenges I know damn well that I am very lucky to be in the situation we are in (and hopefully we can remain in this situation).  

Before Virus: 

- M:F = Wife = At work @ 6:00 AM - Gets off Around 4:30 & Goes to Pick Up Each of Our Kids; She is responsible for Dinner Mon-Thursday and kids homework etc (we prep over weekend, so largely we can reheat food that we had cooked in preperation); I get home for bed-time routine with our kids (most night...unless I have to work late in which case I'll work very late so I can be home @ reasonable time other nights) 

-  M;F = Me = AM take kids to school (each go to seperate school); Get to work around 8:30 and am at work until 6:30-7 most nights; During my busy time (quarter-end / year end / plan & budget season), I have a couple nights each week that are much later; By and large lunch is at my desk (in between meetings) and/or eaten during a meeting; Nights I get home, spend time with kids (story time is my thing with the kids, talk to them about their day, and tuck them in to bed). If busy...get back and do a bit more work (if there is anything urgent...again...need to do because I have drop-off duties for kids).  

Weekend: Family time; Youth Sports / Other Activities / Hikes with family or just General Adventures (usually we get in quite a bit of physical activities, etc and than have relaxing dinners at home; maybe grab lunch out and get together with extended family)

With Virus:

- Both of us continue to work.  The only thing that has changed is, we don't commute (which is great I might add). Instead, schooling our children (5 & 6 years old) has pivoted to our responsibility. This is on top of our normal commitments to work.  My wife & I are still expected to do what needs to be done work wise and we both try our best to make sure we are delivering for our kids. Neither of us are school teachers, so are we perfect, no, but we do the best we can and basically this becomes a new focus for us during the day where we will prioritize time with them.  We make sure to each dedicate time (when we aren't in meetings, etc) to just hanging out with them (and this has been truly fantastic - something we don't regularly get to do). But whatever we put in with the kids, we make up later on @ night as we still have our work responsibilities, which, have largely gotten more difficult (post COVID vs. pre COVID). More analysis, unique tech challenges, etc.  We make sure we eat lunch & dinner as a family each night and get out on a nightly exercise too (really key for us - because being cooped up is hard); To extent we can...we also try to do during lunch.  

- Weekends aren't actually that much different (pre vs. post), other than youth sports are shot and instead we spend our own time playing outdoors, going on bike rides, just getting good outdoor time. And of course everything is spent with us as a family (vs. with friends), with exception that on Sundays, we still have them see their 2 cousins (shame me all you want - but we are both complying and it is a risk I'll take (*knock on wood*).  I also (individually) go on a weekly run to the store, where I buy a weekly food supply (I bought a bunch of frozen meat & veggies when the initial pandemic hit and have just been buying weekly fresh food allotments that cover my weekly needs at this point; if things went south, I have a few weeks of frozen meats & veggies before having to switch to canned beans, pasta, etc).  

- Personally speaking - I've never been more tired because I'm working more hours (not less) and adding in schooling my kids (because virtual learning puts 95% of the work on the parent vs. the teacher (at least at my kids age - and everyone I've talked to with kids in similar ages have had the same views).  Good news is my kids emotionally are 110% okay (other than being scared by the fact that my wife & I are just not nearly as effective to trained professionals (& not as patient) when it comes to teaching various curriculum).  

- Spending Wise - I am spending less money now vs. before because we eat in 85-90% of the time (w/2 takeout/pickup meals a week (+ an iced coffee on the weekend); we pick local restaurants we like and make sure we order from them to support them and than have been tipping more to try and do our part (since we are lucky to maintain our jobs).  We'll do that as long as we can continue to do so (and again...very much frequenting the places we like best).  

Thanks for sharing. Thank u very much. I would say half jokingly (because I don't want to demean your terrific post at all) but if I wrote your post my haters on here would see one line and lambast me for letting the kids play with the cousins (how dare you!!). 

But I won't say that to you. Thank you for the post. I say this sincerely that your family is what's right with America. You are hard working and I hope and pray you get to keep your jobs as the economy worsens. Thank u and bless you and yours. You are great Americans IMO.

• Haha 1

On 5/2/2020 at 5:08 AM, Dick Allen said:

After weeks of saying 60,000 deaths would be a great job, Trump has revised that number to 100,000, and they blocked Dr. Fauci from testifying to Congress. 

Trump is a genius but you can’t see his grades.

Trump is the healthiest President ever, but you can’t see his medical records.

Trump is a billionaire but you can’t see his taxes.

Trump is innocent but you can’t subpoena the witnesses.

The pandemic is totally under control but you can’t talk to Dr. Fauci.

I have nothing to add, I just wanted to read this again. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, greg775 said:

They aren't going to get through this. Homelessness will be calling when the credit card companies want their money.

Nobody is talking about the economy just shaming about masks and staying at home. Nobody even wants to work it seems.

Americans are hoarding and using their charge cards to do so. On a Monday night tonight I was absolutely shocked at the crowds at the grocery stores. All people do are sleep, get up, eat, self school their kids, take  a walk, then go to the store and fill up with their credit cards. Before the pandemic all u heard about was people living paycheck to paycheck and not saving for retirement. Now they are maxing out their credit cards on food and toilet paper and cleanser and tylenon and other drugs they think they'll need.

I read today there is a movement going on for a second Civil War. If the unrest hits, rioting, etc., it'll be all over. The rich better not flaunt their wealth, that is for sure, because we are going to have so many homeless  with unemployment to be around 40-50 percent minimum, it'll shock you.

Hmm, shopping for one week requires about a shopping cart full of items. Some people do not want to go to the grocery store every week during a pandemic. What does shopping for two or three weeks look like? Some people might think that it looks like hording. Others will not assume this. Is shopping for two weeks at a time more expensive than shopping for one week at a time? Again, some people may think so. Others will figure out that the cost remains the same. Perhaps even less if stocking up on sale items. 

LMAO that nobody is talking about the economy Seriously? Do you only get your news at a barbershop?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Chisoxfn said:

You and I will not see eye to eye on this (and I understand this). My opinion is There is a trade off and there has to be one. We make trade offs every day as a society. If the answer was do x or do y than you need to evaluate pros and cons to x and y.  That is a fact. 

Do you think the USA would act the same based upon below sets? Should they act the same? I would argue they shouldn’t. I will admit I don’t have any data so I don’t know what we are talking about when it comes to the net impact. I do know that you and I would agree that if this government did a better job responding we wouldn’t be in our current state (and it was this type of scenario that drove me to absolutely not vote for Trump). 

The only thing you have in life is your fucking life. 

This whole trade off for the greater good by saving the economy is fucking laughable.

Money is not real. Economies are artificial. We are on this planet to do one thing - live. Why you think you, or any government entity, has the right to deprive someone of the most basic right and opportunity is laughable and embarrassing.

The rich in this country has only gotten richer in this pandemic and you think people should make sacrifices to assure their wealth continues to grow at the trade of being human life? What a joke.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Chisoxfn said:

How would the US react if we had a 9/11 happening every day for a month straight?

If you cannot protect your nation's most vulnerable, then the system is broken entirely and needs to be fixed. The answer is not to send everyone back to work under the same conditions and pretend nothing happened. 

You have a president talking about not wanting to help Illinois and New York because they're democratic! What the fvck. 

Illinois and New York pay more money into the federal government than they receive back.. you know who doesnt? All the southern states trump loves. So trump threatens to not help and bailout the states that have been bailing out and subsidizing the southern states for generations. 

Thousands of people are dying a day and the president is attacking politicians and threatening not to help.... and 35% of the population is cheering him on as hundred thousand+ dead americans had their lives cut short. What a sad and embarrassing thing to see... I'm embarrassed for the selfish nature of so many people. I hope one day you're not a part of one of the groups whose lives have been deemed expendable.

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run
  • Like 3

Just now, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

If you cannot protect your nation's most vulnerable, then the system is broken entirely and needs to be fixed. The answer is not to send everyone back to work under the same conditions and pretend nothing happened. 

You have a president talking about not wanting to help Illinois and New York because they're democratic! What the fvck. 

Illinois and New York pay more money into the federal government than they receive back.. you know who doesnt? All the southern states trump loves. So trump threatens to not help and bailout the states that have been bailing out and subsidizing the southern states for generations. 

Thousands of people are dying a day and the president is attacking politicians and threatening not to help.... and 35% of the population is cheering him on as hundred thousand+ dead americans had their lives cut short. What a sad and embarrassing thing to see... I'm embarrassed for the selfish nature of so many people. I hope one day you're not a part of one of the groups whose lives have been deemed expendable.

There was never a quid pro quo right. No one can touch him for now. Demonstrators wave Nazi and Rebel flags cuz they love Murrakuh. We need more social distancing. 

6 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

This is very well said. Trump acting as an extortionist is beyond shame. And so many who call themselves Christians are okay with this. No, this isn't a tradeoff. Opening up will not revive the economy because the virus will spread even more, employees will have to call in sick, and the health care system will be stretched beyond what is now. Oh, and the last place I want information is Fox News. And another is the Trump Administration. Everything is worsened by all the crap that is being spread around. It is so difficult to fight this thing with all the ignorance. So, all you conspiracy believers. Look at yourselves for a change if you can ever get over your stupid paranoia.

36 minutes ago, StrangeSox said:

Of course this is becoming a culture war issue like everything else these days. I wonder if other countries see similar political splits on pandemic response measures?

See I actually took some hope from this poll, in terms of what it was not. It is not absolute D/R Blue/Red the way so many other issues are. I like that even among Republicans, who Trump nominally serves, less than half of them want most of those things to re-open right now. To me, this is encouraging, versus what we see in many other areas of politics right now.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, NorthSideSox72 said:

See I actually took some hope from this poll, in terms of what it was not. It is not absolute D/R Blue/Red the way so many other issues are. I like that even among Republicans, who Trump nominally serves, less than half of them want most of those things to re-open right now. To me, this is encouraging, versus what we see in many other areas of politics right now.

It's not a terrible result, at least right now, but we do have Fox News pushing not just "reopen the economy!" right now but also actively agitating against social distancing and mask-wearing. I fear the support will only get weaker across the board as this drags on with no real plan or leadership and active opposition to doing anything about it from one side.

Edited by StrangeSox
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

https://wallethub.com/edu/states-most-least-dependent-on-the-federal-government/2700/

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/economy/2019/03/20/how-much-federal-funding-each-state-receives-government/39202299/

• Thanks 1