COVID-19/Coronavirus thread

caulfield12

1 hour ago, The Beast said:

Alright Illinoisans, I’ve seen a lot of posts with people pissed off about this:

069t000000BadS0AAJ?operationContext=S1&f

Are people more pissed about “their rights” being trimmed, not having things to do or about their economic situations? I have seen lots of posts but no such solutions from those whining. Please keep in mind I am open to different ideas and approaches but am annoyed with whining without solutions on social media, even though the problem might be that social media is the platform.

Have not seen people pissed about it but granted I don’t go on Facebook. 

Surprised they’d be mad. The plan allowed the rest of the state to break off from Chicago/stl trends.

11 hours ago, bmags said:

Have not seen people pissed about it but granted I don’t go on Facebook. 

Surprised they’d be mad. The plan allowed the rest of the state to break off from Chicago/stl trends.

It is mostly people from DuPage county that always b**** about Illinois that are mad. They seem to want to go from 0 to 60 without many precautions taken.

11 minutes ago, The Beast said:

It is mostly people from DuPage county that always b**** about Illinois that are mad. They seem to want to go from 0 to 60 without many precautions taken.

Yeah, well unfortunately dupage  has been hit pretty hard. The standards laid out here seem pretty normal “when ICU beds and cases are declining businesses can open”.

Illinois has been smart but slow to build up the infrastructure for next phase stuff. Need quarantine hotels for test and trace. 

But that’s what happens when states need to build it all up from scratch and the feds are just interested in antagonizing/stoking flames.

There is a group of Never Trump Republicans putting out ads with stark images of empty streets and economic devastation. In his inaugural address, Trump talked about carnage and how he was going to end it. Now some on the right on accusing him of carnage of his own. Trump saw the first ad and hit the roof. Called everyone losers as if that was some smart reply.

At least some in his party recognize the president has no clothes. His appearance in Arizona was a disaster. We desperately need leadership at this moment, and we are not going to get it. The cronyism and incompetence is sickening.

• Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, StrangeSox said:

It is a reasonable plan.  This is a great breakdown of the plan and how we get to each step.

It's a shame that many won't read it or try to understand it simply because the governor has a (D) after his name.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

I have an appointment with my usual stylist. Cut and massage is going to feel great. I'm suppose to be first day before all the germs get released into the building. 

https://www.yahoo.com/news/live-let-die-blasts-president-013638094.html

Who is the idiot who thought playing Live and Let Die at the Honeywell plant in AZ was just a swell idea?  

Sweet Jesus, that’s tone deaf.   They’ve managed to outdo Melania’s anti-MSM messaging jacket, I think.

And then choosing the Guns N Roses version, instead of the original Bond...doesn’t Axl Rose ALWAYS go after Trump in the media?

Jared Kushner, the son-in-law of President Donald Trump, formed a volunteer-staffed, "shadow" White House task force to help the US government acquire medical equipment during the coronavirus outbreak. 

But according to a new report in The New York Times, the group fumbled these efforts by prioritizing tips and bids from close Trump associates, rather than from experienced and legitimate suppliers.

The group was told to prioritize those with special connections, and even tracked tips from close Trump allies on a spreadsheet titled "V.I.P. Update," according to The Times.

Among those prioritized were conservative activist Charlie Kirk and a former "Apprentice" contestant, Tana Goertz, who serves as the campaign chair of Women for Trump. 

cnn.com

Edited by caulfield12
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

https://www.yahoo.com/news/live-let-die-blasts-president-013638094.html

Who is the idiot who thought playing Live and Let Die at the Honeywell plant in AZ was just a swell idea?  

Sweet Jesus, that’s tone deaf.   They’ve managed to outdo Melania’s anti-MSM messaging jacket, I think.

And then choosing the Guns N Roses version, instead of the original Bond...doesn’t Axl Rose ALWAYS go after Trump in the media?

Jared Kushner, the son-in-law of President Donald Trump, formed a volunteer-staffed, "shadow" White House task force to help the US government acquire medical equipment during the coronavirus outbreak. 

But according to a new report in The New York Times, the group fumbled these efforts by prioritizing tips and bids from close Trump associates, rather than from experienced and legitimate suppliers.

The group was told to prioritize those with special connections, and even tracked tips from close Trump allies on a spreadsheet titled "V.I.P. Update," according to The Times.

Among those prioritized were conservative activist Charlie Kirk and a former "Apprentice" contestant, Tana Goertz, who serves as the campaign chair of Women for Trump. 

cnn.com

It’s a song they play at his rallies. The guy is so fragile, they have to make everything seem like a rally and he is surrounded by cult members.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

I can’t even remember what plan the Tea Party had back in the day...other than complaining about the government takeover of health care.  Unsurprisingly, no viable solution from the conservative side of the aisle has arisen in over a decade’s worth of time to consider the problem.   In that sense, no different from Occupy Wall Street.    Well, THEN WHAT?  

Perhaps they can hire Elizabeth Warren, she has a plan for everything.

In this particular case, it’s going to be we attempted to reopen the economy, went off or lost unemployment benefits...but are still much worse off than we were in late February or early March.  

Who will be to blame then?

That was back when they were all about the national debt and deficit.

48 minutes ago, Texsox said:

I have an appointment with my usual stylist. Cut and massage is going to feel great. I'm suppose to be first day before all the germs get released into the building. 

Leave the glasses behind, unfortunately they can't do anything about the big head.

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, bmags said:

This seems about right

I have mentioned this in other places, but if you knowingly infect someone with AIDS it is a felony.  Why isn't infecting someone because you don't wear a mask the same level of crime?

Just now, southsider2k5 said:

I have mentioned this in other places, but if you knowingly infect someone with AIDS it is a felony.  Why isn't infecting someone because you don't wear a mask the same level of crime?

I think I'd still rather avoid prosecution as it will heavily fall on penalizing the poor with monetary fines they can't pay, and then risking jailtime for something absurd.

But it is very very bad news mask wearing has become a culture war issue. Will unfortunately help again if private industry mandates it.

• Thanks 2

Just now, southsider2k5 said:

I take a stab at guessing . . .

My cynical nature says -- because AIDS was perceived as primarily a "gay" disease and this virus is more widespread? The tough on crime folks tend to target vulnerable groups hardest. Why was crack a worse felony than cocaine? 

or with AIDS you knowingly infect, with COVID 19 you are infecting someone without knowing you are sick. 

1 minute ago, bmags said:

I think I'd still rather avoid prosecution as it will heavily fall on penalizing the poor with monetary fines they can't pay, and then risking jailtime for something absurd.

But it is very very bad news mask wearing has become a culture war issue. Will unfortunately help again if private industry mandates it.

Problem with private industry mandating is that we already have one worker who has been killed over it. Companies arent going to let their employees get shot over a mask.

Just now, Soxbadger said:

Problem with private industry mandating is that we already have one worker who has been killed over it. Companies arent going to let their employees get shot over a mask.

Make murder illegal then.

Just now, Texsox said:

I take a stab at guessing . . .

My cynical nature says -- because AIDS was perceived as primarily a "gay" disease and this virus is more widespread? The tough on crime folks tend to target vulnerable groups hardest. Why was crack a worse felony than cocaine? 

or with AIDS you knowingly infect, with COVID 19 you are infecting someone without knowing you are sick. 

I mean I know WHY, I am just making the point that it is garbage that we treat two similar situations completely differently.

Jared running this stuff always reminds me of arrested development where they ask buster to navigate since he took a cartography class and he looks down at the map and says "obviously this blue part here is the land"

• Haha 2

39 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Congress is working to immunize people for this because if they don't do that then employers will be liable if their workers get sick, so that's the Republican's top priority in the next bill they pass.

14 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Congress is working to immunize people for this because if they don't do that then employers will be liable if their workers get sick, so that's the Republican's top priority in the next bill they pass.

My wife is a Labor/Employment lawyer. She insists they are not going to be able to eliminate employer liability.  Whatever they come up with will be challenged and the government will lose. Says Congressional lawyers know very little about labor law.

Edited by Dick Allen
  • Thanks 1