COVID-19/Coronavirus thread

caulfield12

7 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

My wife is a Labor/Employment lawyer. She insists they are not going to be able to eliminate employer liability.  Whatever they come up with will be challenged and the government will lose. Says Congressional lawyers know very little about labor law.

OTOH they've packed the courts top-to-bottom with judges who would love to go back to Lochner.

Cover-up begins

Scientists who were modeling the spread of coronavirus in Arizona were told to stop work on Monday, hours after Gov. Doug Ducey (R) announced that restaurants and hair salons would be allowed to reopen in a matter of days.

An email obtained by the Arizona Republic and ABC 15 shows that the Arizona Department of Health Services abruptly asked a team of roughly two dozen experts from Arizona State University and the University of Arizona to “pause” their work on coronavirus projections. Those volunteer researchers had been compiling “the most robust public model in Arizona of covid-19,” according to the Republic, and found that cases were likely to dramatically increase unless social distancing requirements remained in place until the end of May.

The scientists were also informed that they would be losing access to all the special data sets that they were using. No explanation was given for the abrupt change.

Cara Christ, the state’s health director, told the Republic that the team hadn’t been disbanded, and could be brought back in the fall “to look at modeling during flu season.” In the meantime, the state plans to rely on a model from the Federal Emergency Management Agency that hasn’t been released to the public.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2020/05/06/coronavirus-update-us/

35 minutes ago, Texsox said:

Donors or Voters? Donors or Voters? It's tough to be a politician during a pandemic. Those donors need their workers. 

36 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

Begins? Trump has officially washed his hands of the coronavirus. And he has his cronies doing the same thing. Why are they so afraid of him? 

Guys, you're missing the bigger picture. They've worked very, very hard to make sure that only the votes of certain people count in this country. Those certain people aren't just donors, they're the protesters who don't get arrested. 

Additionally, this latest survey indicates a significant partisan divide in attitudes toward coronavirus-related issues. While 93% of Democrats and 62% of Independents support state stay-at-home orders, just 35% of Republicans do. While 91% of Democrats think the U.S government should bail out the Postal Service, just 36% of Republicans support this. And 57% of Republicans oppose automatic voter registration, while 90% of Democrats and 58% of Independents support it.

This poll provides additional evidence that frequent Fox News viewers are deeply disconnected from mainstream Americans. Contrary to careful analyses of excess mortality, fully 61% of frequent Fox News viewers believe that fewer people in the U.S. have died from the coronavirus than the official count. And while just 33% of Americans support the protests against state stay-at-home orders, 68% of faithful Fox viewers support them.

https://civiqs.com/documents/Civiqs_DailyKos_monthly_banner_book_2020_05_r8c32an.pdf

If you can make it that your voters are the only ones who count, you have to listen to those voters when they "Charge of the light brigade" it.

40 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Guys, you're missing the bigger picture. They've worked very, very hard to make sure that only the votes of certain people count in this country. Those certain people aren't just donors, they're the protesters who don't get arrested. 

https://civiqs.com/documents/Civiqs_DailyKos_monthly_banner_book_2020_05_r8c32an.pdf

If you can make it that your voters are the only ones who count, you have to listen to those voters when they "Charge of the light brigade" it.

The funny thing is the GOP has the highest numbers in the demographic they are looking to kill off. 

58 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

There's a very powerful and well funded political media enterprise that has conditioned a lot of people over the years that experts are not to be trusted, and now they see it politically advantageous to claim this is all still "just the flu"

Death cult.

3 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

I mean I know WHY, I am just making the point that it is garbage that we treat two similar situations completely differently.

I just want to be sure, in your view, it is similar to 1)know you have aids, fuck someone knowing they will likely have aids after that, and 2)not knowing you have Covid, and breathing near someone giving them covid.

Those are similar situations?

Not advocating for people not wearing masks.  Obviously they should.  But that is quite the line to draw. 

49 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

The funny thing is the GOP has the highest numbers in the demographic they are looking to kill off. 

No they don't. They're going to kill black and hispanic people selectively.

16 minutes ago, turnin' two said:

I just want to be sure, in your view, it is similar to 1)know you have aids, fuck someone knowing they will likely have aids after that, and 2)not knowing you have Covid, and breathing near someone giving them covid.

Not advocating for people not wearing masks.  Obviously they should.  But that is quite the line to draw. 

What not wearing a mask does is show you really don't care about anyone else around you.  It's plain and simple. I hate wearing a mask, but I wear one. By now, everyone should know they may have the virus without showing signs. Act like you would want people who have it to act around your loved ones. These non surgical masks don't help me much, they help the people around me. 

Edited by Dick Allen
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Dick Allen said:

What not wearing a mask does is show you really don't care about anyone else around you.  It's plain and simple. I hate wearing a mask, but I wear one. By now, everyone should know they may have the virus without showing signs. Act like you would want people who have it to act around your loved ones.

How come nobody ever answers my question of "where can you buy a disposable mask???" They are NOT AVAILABLE. It is wrong to say we don't care. We don't have masks to wear! I'm not paying 90 bucks for a box of masks I saw at Walgreens. I don't' even know if they are the right fricking masks. If I see somebody I wait til they pass or walk the other way and stay socially distant. If masks are the new normal for the rest of mankind like they wear overseas, that will suck.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, greg775 said:

How come nobody ever answers my question of "where can you buy a disposable mask???" They are NOT AVAILABLE. It is wrong to say we don't care. We don't have masks to wear! I'm not paying 90 bucks for a box of masks I saw at Walgreens. I don't' even know if they are the right fricking masks. If I see somebody I wait til they pass or walk the other way and stay socially distant. If masks are the new normal for the rest of mankind like they wear overseas, that will suck.

Go into your drawer, take out an old tshirt. Cut it in half. Tie it around your face.

Find a bandana. Tie it around your face.

If you can breath in it and it is covering your mouth, it is the right mask. 

Have you connected with your church? Many are organizing mask delivery and handouts.

There are so many ways to solve this problem:

wow, a 2 second search. Voila.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, turnin' two said:

The idea is pretty straight forward.  If you know your are engaging in behavior that could result in the death of another person, you can get held responsible for your actions and their results.  If you take your gun out and randomly shoot it into the air, and eventually a bullet falls from the sky and kills a person, that is manslaughter.  You didn't mean to kill a person, you  didn't know you would kill a person, and it was never your intent for the bullet to hit someone.  But a reasonable person knows that their actions could kill someone in that situation, and you will be charged if caught.  You know you could have COVID and be asymptomatic for a long period of time.  You know you could spread it for a long period of time without ever knowing you are infected.  You also know that wearing masks greatly reduces the odds that you will pass along the virus.  The similarities are striking to me.

12 minutes ago, greg775 said:

On line. Groupon. If you can't find them, you aren't looking very hard. 

Greg I used to think a lot more highly of you. But you aren't willing to put in any effort to protect the people who happen to be around you. it's too much of a hassle.  You really should be ashamed of yourself. 

Edited by Dick Allen
  • Like 4

49 minutes ago, StrangeSox said:

There's a very powerful and well funded political media enterprise that has conditioned a lot of people over the years that experts are not to be trusted, and now they see it politically advantageous to claim this is all still "just the flu"

Death cult.

The White House is closed to tours, and isn't doing public events. 

Capitol Hill is closed to tours, and Congress refuses to come back into session due to their safety.

The Supreme Count is closed to the public and is not doing in person arguments, instead is doing them by phone.

The biggest Christian church in the world's headquarters has cancelled all public events through at least June.  The leader of the worlds biggest Christian church is doing services on-line for their flock and not in person.

If you really believe that things are safe, you sure aren't paying attention to what the people who have the insider information in this case are actually doing.  While some leaders might be telling you we are ready to reopen, they sure aren't acting like it.

• Thanks 1

I was really sick the beginning of February, and my symptoms were very similar to Covid 19, but it did seem early. My wife was convinced I had it. There is a doctor by me and he gave me the Covid 19 test where they stick the swab up both your nostrils I think until they reach brain, and the antibodies test. I just found out I was negative on both. I was kind of hoping to have the antibodies, but if I had it when I thought I had it , I probably would have taken quite a few people down with me, and some would have been worse, so it's better this way.

16 minutes ago, greg775 said:

You can make a mask out of a bandana, t-shirt, bed sheet, etc.  I work in tissue manufacturing, and wearing masks is mandatory as of this week.  It can get hot in the building, so people are making masks and sharing them.  I have about a half dozen washable/reusable masks that I switch out daily.  I go to the store and see plenty of people wearing homemade masks.  There are many tutorials out there on how to make masks.  You don't need buy disposable masks.

31 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

What not wearing a mask does is show you really don't care about anyone else around you.  It's plain and simple. I hate wearing a mask, but I wear one. By now, everyone should know they may have the virus without showing signs. Act like you would want people who have it to act around your loved ones. These non surgical masks don't help me much, they help the people around me. 

The social cohesion aspect is important! There was an interesting On The Media segment on this back in March:

https://www.wnycstudios.org/podcasts/otm/segments/masks-symbols-on-the-media

42 minutes ago, greg775 said:

You probably need a custom mask to be the most comfortable. 

I hope it is the new norm. I'm thinking I'll have a Sox mask for most of the summer months. I'm sure they will make some really funny ones as well. Plus, if we start covering our faces and heads I won't have to worry about fashionable haircuts and shaving. Win - Win. 

47 minutes ago, greg775 said:

Throughout this entire thread people have talked to you about making their own masks, advising internet searches, advised different places to look for them at Different stores.  As per usual you just gloss right over them and move on to asking why nobody has answered your question, when in fact they have.  Good luck finding your answers 

• Thanks 2

I am really looking forward to this school year ending because E Learning is brutal for everyone involved.   I don't blame teachers, students or parents for the problems with it, it's just extremely hard to keep everyone focused in this scenario.

• Like 2