COVID-19/Coronavirus thread

caulfield12

1 hour ago, Dick Allen said:

On line. Groupon. If you can't find them, you aren't looking very hard. 

Greg I used to think a lot more highly of you. But you aren't willing to put in any effort to protect the people who happen to be around you. it's too much of a hassle.  You really should be ashamed of yourself. 

I've talked to a lot of people about masks. Nobody knows where to find them. I don't want to order online from some company I've never heard of. I haven't been within three feet of any living person in six weeks. I'm not causing any problems.

• Haha 1

59 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

I was really sick the beginning of February, and my symptoms were very similar to Covid 19, but it did seem early. My wife was convinced I had it. There is a doctor by me and he gave me the Covid 19 test where they stick the swab up both your nostrils I think until they reach brain, and the antibodies test. I just found out I was negative on both. I was kind of hoping to have the antibodies, but if I had it when I thought I had it , I probably would have taken quite a few people down with me, and some would have been worse, so it's better this way.

I thought I was going to die in late January/early February.  I lost 13 lbs in two weeks.  I didn't have the symptoms that are commonly associated with covid(respiratory), but as it has gotten more evaluated going forward, I did have some of the other symptoms.  

but holeeee shit did I hurt. 

12 minutes ago, greg775 said:

I've talked to a lot of people about masks. Nobody knows where to find them. I don't want to order online from some company I've never heard of. I haven't been within three feet of any living person in six weeks. I'm not causing any problems.

You either have 90% of this board on ignore, or you're not reading any posts.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

I thought I was going to die in late January/early February.  I lost 13 lbs in two weeks.  I didn't have the symptoms that are commonly associated with covid(respiratory), but as it has gotten more evaluated going forward, I did have some of the other symptoms.  

but holeeee shit did I hurt. 

From Christmas Eve to January 3rd I ran a fever every single day.  Top end got near 104, but with Advil was typically controllable in the 100 to 101 range.  A really nasty dry cough came along around New Years Day, and lasted for a couple of weeks, even while taking serious decongestants.  At that point I lost my voice for about a week, and still have vocal problems to this day.  Ended up getting diagnosed with Pneumonia on Jan 2, went through 3 rounds of steroids and treatments to clear it completely up.  Tested negative for the Flu.

I know the first case in the US was designated on Jan 20 in Washington state, but in restrospect every single symptom of this was COVID.  No idea how I would have had it a month early, but holy cow I have never been more sick or hit as hard as this hit me.

1 hour ago, southsider2k5 said:

The idea is pretty straight forward.  If you know your are engaging in behavior that could result in the death of another person, you can get held responsible for your actions and their results.  If you take your gun out and randomly shoot it into the air, and eventually a bullet falls from the sky and kills a person, that is manslaughter.  You didn't mean to kill a person, you  didn't know you would kill a person, and it was never your intent for the bullet to hit someone.  But a reasonable person knows that their actions could kill someone in that situation, and you will be charged if caught.  You know you could have COVID and be asymptomatic for a long period of time.  You know you could spread it for a long period of time without ever knowing you are infected.  You also know that wearing masks greatly reduces the odds that you will pass along the virus.  The similarities are striking to me.

Isn’t the difference between the two scenarios “foreseeable risk” on the part of the victim?  At least in terms of civil litigation. 

47 minutes ago, greg775 said:

I kinda think its true you've talked to a lot of people about masks but I'd imagine they tell you the many ways to get masks, and you don't listen and think to yourself "nobody knows how to get masks!" while they are talking.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

From Christmas Eve to January 3rd I ran a fever every single day.  Top end got near 104, but with Advil was typically controllable in the 100 to 101 range.  A really nasty dry cough came along around New Years Day, and lasted for a couple of weeks, even while taking serious decongestants.  At that point I lost my voice for about a week, and still have vocal problems to this day.  Ended up getting diagnosed with Pneumonia on Jan 2, went through 3 rounds of steroids and treatments to clear it completely up.  Tested negative for the Flu.

I know the first case in the US was designated on Jan 20 in Washington state, but in restrospect every single symptom of this was COVID.  No idea how I would have had it a month early, but holy cow I have never been more sick or hit as hard as this hit me.

Isn’t it interesting?  Almost everybody I know got the flu this year.  I haven’t had it in 15 years. Same with my wife.  Almost killed her this year but she’s immune-compromised.  Two uncles hospitalized with pneumonia in Jan-Feb, 1 in Texas, 1 in Chicago.  The father of the lady in the office next to me had her dad die of pneumonia in Jan, she’s convinced it was Covid.  All my in-laws in Texas got sick AF mid-late Feb.  

Not saying any of it was Covid either, but looking back, it was the first year I remember pretty much everybody I know telling me they were sick AF.  Didn’t think anything of it at the time.  Still no way to know anything.   

What’s even MORE interesting...say you go full crazy and say “tons of these anecdotes we’re all hearing of or personally lived through were Covid in late Dec-Feb, the US response to the virus actually makes a bit of sense.  

But who knows.  Despite all the testing #s, death numbers etc...nobody knows shit.

What do you all think of the Chicago mayor breaking the rules. She gets a haircut to look good on TV. We can't.

How bout this dumbass in Britain, one of the leading experts on corona. Brings his mistress over WHEN HE HAD CORONA.

And you are mad at Americans who don't wear masks??? How bout the New York official going to the gym?? People watch this video and don't dismiss it just because it's FOX. This is a disgrace. Greg is not a disgrace. How bout the double standards going on with politicians????? Watch this!     And by the way, Dick Allen, Kansas is a bit different from fricking chicago.

Edited by greg775

1 minute ago, bmags said:

Weird how many people found a common place to go to get masks

I ordered two different sets of masks off Etsy. One on 4/14 that arrived at 4/17 (free shipping to boot). I bought another set the other day and it should be here next week. Reusable and washable masks at the cost of a cheap haircut. 

5 minutes ago, greg775 said:

What do you all think of the Chicago mayor breaking the rules. She gets a haircut to look good on TV. We can't.

How bout this dumbass in Britain, one of the leading experts on corona. Brings his mistress over WHEN HE HAD CORONA.

And you are mad at Americans who don't wear masks??? How bout the New York official going to the gym?? People watch this video and don't dismiss it just because it's FOX. This is a disgrace. Greg is not a disgrace. How bout the double standards going on with politicians????? Watch this!     And by the way, Dick Allen, Kansas is a bit different from fricking chicago.

First off, if this is no big deal, why is Tucker working from home? Seems hypocritical which I suppose is par for the course.Watch this.

For Black Men, Fear That Masks Will Invite Racial Profiling

African-American men worry that following the C.D.C. recommendation to cover their faces in public could expose them to harassment from the police.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/14/us/coronavirus-masks-racism-african-americans.html

You can also certainly understand with people wearing KKK hoods in public and brandishing weapons at public protests that there would be an immense fear factor here...it seems inevitable that this will used as an excuse in a manslaughter case, where someone felt “threatened.”   And it’s not just African Americans, you have the cinematic tradition of Mexican/Hispanic bandidos and outlaws in popular culture, and, more recently, the association of Islamic jihadism with head and face coverings.

I’ll just put it this way...in places like Michigan, Florida and Texas, how comfortable do you think any of those groups feel with the lack of trust in public policing and now the almost militant opposition to mask wearing?   Especially with teenagers having confrontations with various entities in public...the risk is higher of dying (or at least getting injured) in a mask confrontation than from the actual virus itself.  Otoh, many young people are asymptomatic carriers.

Then you have the fear within a community itself...this association with masks hiding “nefarious” activity.  Here in Hong Kong, the protestors consistently flaunted a mask ban (then hid behind it as a health issue) because it was the optimal way to avoid being identified by CCTV cameras and avoid arrest, which goes on public records and into job employment databases.

3 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

The idea is pretty straight forward.  If you know your are engaging in behavior that could result in the death of another person, you can get held responsible for your actions and their results.  If you take your gun out and randomly shoot it into the air, and eventually a bullet falls from the sky and kills a person, that is manslaughter.  You didn't mean to kill a person, you  didn't know you would kill a person, and it was never your intent for the bullet to hit someone.  But a reasonable person knows that their actions could kill someone in that situation, and you will be charged if caught.  You know you could have COVID and be asymptomatic for a long period of time.  You know you could spread it for a long period of time without ever knowing you are infected.  You also know that wearing masks greatly reduces the odds that you will pass along the virus.  The similarities are striking to me.

And if you take your gun and point it at someone and shoot, it is murder.  They are different based on intent.  

14 minutes ago, greg775 said:

I’m assuming you are referring to NYC Mayor DeBlasio’s routine in the morning.

Well, he got ripped to shreds for it, and his popularity ratings rose a fraction of Governor Cuomo’s.

As for the other part of the argument...there are always those in flyover territory who take umbrage with the behaviors of coastal elites, DC, Silicon Valley, Hollywood, NYC.   Growing up in Iowa, there’s a bit of a built-in inferiority complex...that said, most of those states are generally safer statistically, offer solid public education systems and more freedoms (speeds on highways or gun rights) along with a much cheaper cost of living/housing affordability.

It’s ALWAYS going to be a trade-off.  And there’s also invariably going to be loads of people assuming they’re safe/r in Lawrence than Chicago...so not testing and not wearing masks will cause Covid rates to spike in Kansas, just like in Iowa.  And then you're REALLY talking elevated death rates due to the dearth of high quality rural health care (see Gallup, NM or Albany, GA).   

3 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

I’m assuming you are referring to NYC Mayor DeBlasio’s routine in the morning.

Well, he got ripped to shreds for it, and his popularity ratings rose a fraction of Governor Cuomo’s.

As for the other part of the argument...there are always those in flyover territory who take umbrage with the behaviors of coastal elites, DC, Silicon Valley, Hollywood, NYC.   Growing up in Iowa, there’s a bit of a built-in inferiority complex...that said, most of those states are generally safer statistically, offer solid public education systems and more freedoms (speeds on highways or gun rights) along with a much cheaper cost of living/housing affordability.

It’s ALWAYS going to be a trade-off.  And there’s also invariably going to be loads of people assuming they’re safe/r in Lawrence than Chicago...so not testing and not wearing masks will cause Covid rates to spike in Kansas, just like in Iowa.  And then you're REALLY talking elevated death rates due to the dearth of high quality rural health care (see Gallup, NM or Albany, GA).   

Lightfoot was in the news a couple weeks ago after pictures of her getting a haircut made the rounds after the stay at home orders.  She said she had to because "she takes her hygiene seriously".  

17 minutes ago, turnin' two said:

And if you take your gun and point it at someone and shoot, it is murder.  They are different based on intent.  

It comes back to “reasonable standard of care.”

Would a jury find such actions defensible...in hindsight?

We don’t have all the mothers of the world demanding speed limits should be lowered across the board to 30 MPH to save lives, do we?  

We do have limits on assault weapons, drunk driving and compel drivers to wear seat belts.  We do have social norms that also impact behaviors, such as the stigmas related to cigarette smoking.  We haven’t banned cigarettes, tobacco or even Big Gulps, but we realize the consequences of our actions.

Due to the lack of testing available in the US, not sure we can say the same thing about Covid.  There’s reasonably unaware, and then intentionally or blissfully unaware.  

If you had (unprotected) sexual relationships with 10+ people, and refused to get tested...and passed on HIV/AIDS, is that so much better than having unprotected sex knowing you have tested positive?   Maybe.   But where does the first person’s behavior go from “reasonable” to reckless or endangering?  

The same shades of grey exist with the mask and overall lack of testing situation.  Can one sue someone because the President has consistently maintained “there are plenty of tests”...they made no effort to do so, and it can be proved in hindsight or retroactively how many others they infected?

Edited by caulfield12

16 minutes ago, turnin' two said:

Lightfoot was in the news a couple weeks ago after pictures of her getting a haircut made the rounds after the stay at home orders.  She said she had to because "she takes her hygiene seriously".  

Just like Jared and Ivanka take their weekend getaways to Bedminster, NJ (incurring additional government security cost) seriously.

Privileged politicians on both sides are not so different, well, except for the insider trading numbers since 2016.

Edited by caulfield12

3 hours ago, greg775 said:

How come nobody ever answers my question of "where can you buy a disposable mask???" They are NOT AVAILABLE. It is wrong to say we don't care. We don't have masks to wear! I'm not paying 90 bucks for a box of masks I saw at Walgreens. I don't' even know if they are the right fricking masks. If I see somebody I wait til they pass or walk the other way and stay socially distant. If masks are the new normal for the rest of mankind like they wear overseas, that will suck.

Greg, the sky isn’t falling and you are not out of options! Look!

1 hour ago, Jerksticks said:

Isn’t it interesting?  Almost everybody I know got the flu this year.  I haven’t had it in 15 years. Same with my wife.  Almost killed her this year but she’s immune-compromised.  Two uncles hospitalized with pneumonia in Jan-Feb, 1 in Texas, 1 in Chicago.  The father of the lady in the office next to me had her dad die of pneumonia in Jan, she’s convinced it was Covid.  All my in-laws in Texas got sick AF mid-late Feb.  

Not saying any of it was Covid either, but looking back, it was the first year I remember pretty much everybody I know telling me they were sick AF.  Didn’t think anything of it at the time.  Still no way to know anything.   

What’s even MORE interesting...say you go full crazy and say “tons of these anecdotes we’re all hearing of or personally lived through were Covid in late Dec-Feb, the US response to the virus actually makes a bit of sense.  

But who knows.  Despite all the testing #s, death numbers etc...nobody knows shit.

I mean it wouldn't surprise me if there was an earlier gestation date in the US, but my illness wasn't much after it is expected to have first emerged in China.  Late Jan illnesses I could see, but late December is harder to rationalize.

1 hour ago, turnin' two said:

Absolutely.  But we aren't charging anyone for manslaughter for their actions.

1 hour ago, greg775 said:

Greg, why do you write in third person occasionally? I’m not sure I want to listen to a Fox commentator and would like a news story instead.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, greg775 said:

Lori Lightfoot is a joke, clown and a fraud all into one, so I'm not surprised. She's been a hypocrite throughout all of this. I already can't wait until her term is up. 

16 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

I mean it wouldn't surprise me if there was an earlier gestation date in the US, but my illness wasn't much after it is expected to have first emerged in China.  Late Jan illnesses I could see, but late December is harder to rationalize.

It also turns out that there does appear to have been a notable change in the protein spikes where the virus attaches to the cell, according to a paper (Pre-peer-review) available on biorXiv yesterday. While that doesn't necessarily guarantee that this version is more virulent, they cite several examples of places where the classical Chinese variant was the first one circulating and then it was rapidly surpassed in number by the newer Italian variant, including New York City. So it's possible that some of the early cases are coming from a slightly less aggressive strain.