COVID-19/Coronavirus thread

caulfield12

Just a few musings today. ...

a.) Southwest Airlines and all of 'em are requiring masks now. And there is going to be social distancing while boarding and while standing in lines, etc. Can you imagine the rage people are going to have at airports now? Travel has been awful anyway for years, now this. People better try to be kind to each other. I sense a lot of anger regarding masks. It's like the people that have them on are ready to tear the heads off of those who don't. It's time to get kind or there are going to be so many fistfights/arrests/canceled flights because of rage.

b.) Saw 12 people partying on a lawn while driving to the drive through last night for coffee. Weird.

c.) I think the verdict is still out on whether America will ever be the same again. If one person at a danceclub is responsible for shutting down the clubs in Korea another 30 days, makes me think the first sporting event with fans is going to be a disaster in terms of people infecting people. I think we should get used to the idea of sports in empty stadiums for the rest of time. Or stadiums in which maybe they seat 40,000 and 4,000 are allowed in, something like that. With no concessions stands.

d.) It's easy to say American business will never be the same. Airline and train and bus travel and subway travel all sound AWFUL right now. The idea of flying somewhere disgusts me right now.

e.) I would think the movie industry is toast. At least the box office. Again, the idea of a movie theatre is scary and disgusting. I would guess mandatory masks.

f.) Church or in my cass Mass is in danger forever of restarting. Again, there's going to be Mass one weekend, 40 people are going to be infected and that will cause all hell to break loose no pun intended.

g.) People are going to have to be 100 percent healthy to go anywhere. If you have the common cold, it used to be you could go to church, be on airplanes, etc. Now once you cough you are going to get ushered off the flight, the train, the bus. So you are gonna have to be 100 percent healthy at all times or tell your bosses you can't travel that day? Or drive all over the country instead of fly?

h.) People like me who are bored out of their minds and sick of this new normal might get the country opened for good. The ultimate end to all of this is everything will be open and the virus will do what it has to do. There will be normal precautions (masks, distancing laws like SWA's new policy of masks), but the country will be open and never close again and the virus will do what it has to do. How many deaths? Nobody knows. Will it kill me or you? Nobody knows.

Finally if you read this far, yes I'm in my pessimism mode today. I have seen no human beings face to face except zoom for 2 months. This is bullcrap. I'm sick of it. I want to go do something and everything's locked up.

I ALSO NEED A HAIRCUT.

Bless u all. Have a nice weekend, though they all are the same.

Edited by greg775
  • Haha 1

Allies despair as Trump abandons America's leadership role at a time of global crisis

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/05/09/politics/us-leadership-coronavirus-intl/index.html

GOP senator on second coronavirus stimulus checks: 'People in hell want ice water too'

https://www.yahoo.com/money/gop-on-second-coronavirus-stimulus-checks-people-in-hell-want-ice-water-too-212055600.html

“Well people in hell want ice water, too,” said Sen. John Kennedy (R-LA) when asked about more rounds of stimulus payments, according to The Hill. “I mean, everybody has an idea and a bill, usually to spend more money. It’s like a Labor Day mattress sale around here.” (A spokesperson for Kennedy later said that the senator’s comments were in reference to potential bills that would further increase state and local government funding.)

1 hour ago, greg775 said:

a.) Southwest Airlines and all of 'em are requiring masks now. And there is going to be social distancing while boarding and while standing in lines, etc. Can you imagine the rage people are going to have at airports now? Travel has been awful anyway for years, now this. People better try to be kind to each other. I sense a lot of anger regarding masks. It's like the people that have them on are ready to tear the heads off of those who don't. It's time to get kind or there are going to be so many fistfights/arrests/canceled flights because of rage.

b.) Saw 12 people partying on a lawn while driving to the drive through last night for coffee. Weird.

c.) I think the verdict is still out on whether America will ever be the same again. If one person at a danceclub is responsible for shutting down the clubs in Korea another 30 days, makes me think the first sporting event with fans is going to be a disaster in terms of people infecting people. I think we should get used to the idea of sports in empty stadiums for the rest of time. Or stadiums in which maybe they seat 40,000 and 4,000 are allowed in, something like that. With no concessions stands.

d.) It's easy to say American business will never be the same. Airline and train and bus travel and subway travel all sound AWFUL right now. The idea of flying somewhere disgusts me right now.

e.) I would think the movie industry is toast. At least the box office. Again, the idea of a movie theatre is scary and disgusting. I would guess mandatory masks.

f.) Church or in my cass Mass is in danger forever of restarting. Again, there's going to be Mass one weekend, 40 people are going to be infected and that will cause all hell to break loose no pun intended.

g.) People are going to have to be 100 percent healthy to go anywhere. If you have the common cold, it used to be you could go to church, be on airplanes, etc. Now once you cough you are going to get ushered off the flight, the train, the bus. So you are gonna have to be 100 percent healthy at all times or tell your bosses you can't travel that day? Or drive all over the country instead of fly?

h.) People like me who are bored out of their minds and sick of this new normal might get the country opened for good. The ultimate end to all of this is everything will be open and the virus will do what it has to do. There will be normal precautions (masks, distancing laws like SWA's new policy of masks), but the country will be open and never close again and the virus will do what it has to do. How many deaths? Nobody knows. Will it kill me or you? Nobody knows.

Finally if you read this far, yes I'm in my pessimism mode today. I have seen no human beings face to face except zoom for 2 months. This is bullcrap. I'm sick of it. I want to go do something and everything's locked up.

I ALSO NEED A HAIRCUT.

H.   Right now, you’re outnumbered by more than 2 to 1 in that viewpoint.  While it’s certainly possible the administration will do everything in its power to force as many back to work and off unemployment rolls, there’s simply no path back to profitability for some or even many of the major industries noted in your “treatise.”  Part of the problem was signing off on a compensation system that provides many workers significantly more than they were making previously...for at least four months.  Why would you realistically expect them to feel incentivized to go back to work after reading stories like the South Korean nightclub or about 1/3rd the Tyson Foods plant in Waterloo contracting the virus.  When we burn through our essential workers and burn out most of our doctors and nurses, what happens then?

But this is precisely what the administration wants...for everyone just to collectively throw their hands up in the air and agree with your point H.   Why the hell not?  What do we really know, after all this time?  What’s to lose?  How much worse can things actually get?   They’ve pretty much given up on testing...and actually following guidelines that THEY created.  To quote Reagan, “Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem."   Hmmm...

The truly sad aspect is that hundreds of thousands will die when 90% of all this could have been prevented with a serious, coordinated and timely response (see Germany) in February or even early March.  It should be noted, perhaps unsurprisingly, that Angela Merkel’s background is in science, not branding.

So let’s just put it this way.  Imagine it’s December 7th, 1941...can anyone imagine FDR informing 48 state governors that they were each responsible individually for coordinating the response with their respective state militias?   We keep hearing this is a war...we’re on wartime footing, but it’s morphed into a political, economic and cultural war more-so than a health care battle.  We can’t wish or hope it away, we have to science the hell out of it.  Which is precisely when any chance at “winning” was lost to the virus, which doesn't discriminate and takes no side, besides looking for hosts to either kill or incubate inside of before multiplying/reproducing.

Greg, I guess you are in your 30’s or more likely 40’s.  They talk about the kids from the 80’s being the ME Generation.  Remember that?  There was a point in American history where more people were willing to put the good of the American people ahead of their own self-interests.  “To ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country,” a quaint notion now seemingly dead and buried.  Maybe the greatest, most enduring lesson from this whole situation will be the tremendous cost of refusing to work together, whether it’s with our neighbors, neighboring states or even our neighbors in the global community.  If we continue to see every situation as “us vs. them,” we will never overcome the problem...because too many will look around, see others not following the rules and decide the risk is worth it.   It’s a classic economics concept called opportunity cost.  China and authoritarian states take that choice away from the people...believing they know best how to keep people safe.  There’s certainly a consequence when people don’t or aren’t allowed to think for themselves.  We saw it here in Wuhan with the poor initial response from local leaders.  But how can we argue that our freedom-oriented system is any better when we’re constantly presented with these choices...yet we keep choosing to hurt others due to our wants outweighing the obvious needs of others?   

And the King will say, 'I tell you the truth, when you did it to one of the least of these my brothers and sisters, you were doing it to me.”   

Edited by caulfield12
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, greg775 said:

I ALSO NEED A HAIRCUT.

I think on a lot of these you're right. I don't know about the common cold part, but yeah stadiums, trains, planes, church, restaurants, movies, these all sound terrible right now.

I was reading this piece today and they showed how having 1 person infected in a restaurant, where people sit for a couple hours, or in an office where people are for a day, led to large numbers of other infections based on the airflow directions, including infections well outside of 6 feet. So yeah, 2 hours in a movie theater? Talk to me when either the US has gotten cases down near zero like well-run countries, or when a vaccine is available. 

https://erinbromage.wixsite.com/covid19/post/the-risks-know-them-avoid-them

1 hour ago, caulfield12 said:

H.   Right now, you’re outnumbered by more than 2 to 1 in that viewpoint.  While it’s certainly possible the administration will do everything in its power to force as many back to work and off unemployment rolls, there’s simply no path back to profitability for some or even many of the major industries noted in your “treatise.”  Part of the problem was signing off on a compensation system that provides many workers significantly more than they were making previously...for at least four months.  Why would you realistically expect them to feel incentivized to go back to work after reading stories like the South Korean nightclub or about 1/3rd the Tyson Foods plant in Waterloo contracting the virus.  When we burn through our essential workers and burn out most of our doctors and nurses, what happens then?

But this is precisely what the administration wants...for everyone just to collectively throw their hands up in the air and agree with your point H.   Why the hell not?  What do we really know, after all this time?  What’s to lose?  How much worse can things actually get?   They’ve pretty much given up on testing...and actually following guidelines that THEY created.  To quote Reagan, “Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem."   Hmmm...

The truly sad aspect is that hundreds of thousands will die when 90% of all this could have been prevented with a serious, coordinated and timely response (see Germany) in February or even early March.  It should be noted, perhaps unsurprisingly, that Angela Merkel’s background is in science, not branding.

So let’s just put it this way.  Imagine it’s December 7th, 1941...can anyone imagine FDR informing 48 state governors that they were each responsible individually for coordinating the response with their respective state militias?   We keep hearing this is a war...we’re on wartime footing, but it’s morphed into a political, economic and cultural war more-so than a health care battle.  We can’t wish or hope it away, we have to science the hell out of it.  Which is precisely when any chance at “winning” was lost to the virus, which doesn't discriminate and takes no side, besides looking for hosts to either kill or incubate inside of before multiplying/reproducing.

Greg, I guess you are in your 30’s or more likely 40’s.  They talk about the kids from the 80’s being the ME Generation.  Remember that?  There was a point in American history where more people were willing to put the good of the American people ahead of their own self-interests.  “To ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country,” a quaint notion now seemingly dead and buried.  Maybe the greatest, most enduring lesson from this whole situation will be the tremendous cost of refusing to work together, whether it’s with our neighbors, neighboring states or even our neighbors in the global community.  If we continue to see every situation as “us vs. them,” we will never overcome the problem...because too many will look around, see others not following the rules and decide the risk is worth it.   It’s a classic economics concept called opportunity cost.  China and authoritarian states take that choice away from the people...believing they know best how to keep people safe.  There’s certainly a consequence when people don’t or aren’t allowed to think for themselves.  We saw it here in Wuhan with the poor initial response from local leaders.  But how can we argue that our freedom-oriented system is any better when we’re constantly presented with these choices...yet we keep choosing to hurt others due to our wants outweighing the obvious needs of others?   

And the King will say, 'I tell you the truth, when you did it to one of the least of these my brothers and sisters, you were doing it to me.”   

Thank u. I appreciate and agree with the post especially your long, penultimate paragraph.

33 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

I think on a lot of these you're right. I don't know about the common cold part, but yeah stadiums, trains, planes, church, restaurants, movies, these all sound terrible right now.

I was reading this piece today and they showed how having 1 person infected in a restaurant, where people sit for a couple hours, or in an office where people are for a day, led to large numbers of other infections based on the airflow directions, including infections well outside of 6 feet. So yeah, 2 hours in a movie theater? Talk to me when either the US has gotten cases down near zero like well-run countries, or when a vaccine is available. 

https://erinbromage.wixsite.com/covid19/post/the-risks-know-them-avoid-them

Thank u. Yes in my long speech written here I am worried about the inevitability of say, our church, opening some weekend with distancing in the pews. I'd guess I'll attend and feel stupid and sad wearing a mask. But like I said out of our four Mass weekend, 40 people are going to get corona and all hell will break loose. What will happen is like I wrote either a.) we just say fxxk it and let the virus do what it has to do forevermore or b.) shut down the city again, this time forever.

Greg - I understand your frustration and pessimism. People are not meant to be isolated and money is only one reason there is a need to work. The situation is maddening with no vaccine or cure in sight. The country is in a pressure cooker right now.

What I will never understand is why people are so angry about wearing a mask. When I worked in a steel mill, I had to wear safety glasses, a hard hat, and steel toed shoes. And I would have never have worked in such environment without those things. I worked in a bar mill. There were times when a 200-foot piece of steel that was thousands of degrees would shoot in the air and go all over the place. What did we do? We ran like hell, which is hard wearing steel toed shoes. And what was one reason this happened? Because we were forced to work with shit equipment because the mill didn't believe in re-investment and modernization. Their motto, "Safety First" was a god damned joke. Kind of sounds like a meat processing plant, doesn't it?

If people want to get angry at someone, get angry at the powers that operate industrial facilities that are not safe and don't pay anything anyway. Or get mad at a government that is in total denial and is showing it doesn't care all that much about its own people.

You are right about one thing: People need to be kind to each other. Wear a mask and don't wave guns at people.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, greg775 said:

I ALSO NEED A HAIRCUT.

How old are you?  What is your health like? What is your profession?  Your parents still around?  Spouse or kids have health considerations? 

What odds are you willing to accept that you live through Covid contacts? What would you think if you carried it and one of your parents died? What about a spouse or friend?

See instead of thinking about screwing up my own hair with a pair of clippers,  I choose to think that by avoiding the barbershop I potentially avoided picking up the virus and passing it on to my immunocompromised mother in law whose lowered White blood cell count wouldn't survive this virus.  I think of my dementia inflicted mother who wouldn't understand why she couldn't leave the hospital if she got this by people roaming through her care facility.  I think of my high school buddy down the street whose wife is immunocompromised and waiting on a transplant who would die if she got Covid.

See this is why you run people the wrong way. As everyone here makes sacrifices to ensure life for the ones who don't possess the ability to fight this you take a national tragedy where 10's of thousands of people are already dead and you make it about you and your poor inconveniences. Making a mockery of mental health by tying your hair to mental health, when families have moms and dads who will never come home and are suffering from real depression and mental health effects is insulting. 

Think of someone other than yourself for once.  Quit equating normal people's inconveniences with the true suffering going on in the world right now.  Part of me is probably more enraged than I should be because I think no adult gets this far in life by being this self absorbed and unconscious of the world around them. I also remember you as a very different person when you came to Soxtalk back in the day and suspects this "greg" is all an act, which makes these posts even worse.  Give all of us a break here and start worrying about other people, instead of you and this show.

• Like 3

It’s also important to know when to give up. “If they don’t engage openly and in a way that suggests a willingness to compromise, then I would walk away and wish them well,” Uscinski said of people with a strong belief in a conspiracy. “I would like all of the people I care about to believe the most authoritative information, but I don’t control other people’s minds, and attempting to do so might not work out in my favor.”

If that feels like a defeat, Uscinski suggested some other places to channel your energy: “Support science and universities,” “don’t support politicians who lie all the time,” and “push back hard” if a media outlet spreads a conspiracy theory.

You might also try, when having conversations with other friends and family members, to preempt any curiosity they may have about Plandemic (conspiracy video) or its ilk by warning them about the existence of COVID-19 conspiracy theories. “People need to be prepared to resist harmful persuasion,” Banas said, “just like our bodies need to be prepared to resist harmful viruses.”

https://apple.news/AKzDbQZpCRf--9IYVVjFc3Q

35 minutes ago, pcq said:

The govt can't really force the economy to start up. Obama really did a number on the 'pubs. 

Well, by cutting off small business/PPP funding, no second set of support checks, no money for states/cities, taking away conditions where workers can qualify for UNE claims, they’re certainly attempting to do so.  That argument will be even stronger when school distance learning programs are phased out for whatever summer vacation evolves into.

So far, people are clearly voting with their behaviors.  Flights are down 95%.  Of course, that also means the distinction between home and work risk being permanently distorted as business travel is cut across the board and 24 hour work availability via teleconferencing becomes closer to the norm.

Of course, that still leaves 60-70% of the country’s workers behind...those who simply can’t function from home, not without some form of customer facing interaction.

Awful Administration Official of the Week Award goes to:

HHS HEAD ALEX AZAR BLAMES ‘HOME AND SOCIAL CONDITIONS’ FOR MEATPACKING CRISIS: The country’s top health official suggested to lawmakers at the end of April that meatpacking employees were more likely to catch the coronavirus based on their social interactions and group living situations than from exposure on the job, POLITICO’s Adam Cancryn and Laura Barrón-López reported Thursday. 

Azar’s comments, made April 28 on a phone call with a bipartisan group of members, sparked outrage from labor unions that have been fighting for safer working conditions as thousands of meatpacking employees have tested positive and at least 20 have died from the virus. Many employees at closed plants will head back to work soon under Trump’s recent order to keep operations running to avoid a meat shortage at grocery stores.

The secretary proposed sending law enforcement to communities where many meatpacking workers live in congregate housing to better enforce social distancing rules, according to two of the lawmakers on the call.

politico.com

65% of the new infections in NYC this week were individuals already under quarantine

60 members of the Secret Service are under quarantine, with 31 already having tested positive for Covid

Edited by caulfield12

2 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

Germany loosened some restrictions this week and because they have an advanced testing setup they are already seeing a spike in cases the last 2 days.

https://www.latimes.com/world-nation/story/2020-05-09/outbreaks-in-germany-s-korea-show-the-risks-in-easing-up

I'd say this week has been a downer. I've said it before, not a good sign and it's not even the normal virus season. Corona may truly be the end of the world before this is over. This thing could be a runaway train by late September.

Edited by greg775
  • Haha 2

The hypocrisy shown by the White House with their own Covid 19 outbreak should piss off even the most hardened we have to open now people. The new press secretary said it would be OK because they amped up testing (instead of being once a week, it is now every day)and contact tracing, something that they apparently deemed not necessary for the general public, If testing means nothing, why does Trump insist everyone around him need to be tested?

Also, there were 70 new cases in WI where the victims said they attended a large social event. Speculation was it was the stay at home protest. Idiots.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Dick Allen said:

The hypocrisy shown by the White House with their own Covid 19 outbreak should piss off even the most hardened we have to open now people. The new press secretary said it would be OK because they amped up testing (instead of being once a week, it is now every day)and contact tracing, something that they apparently deemed not necessary for the general public, If testing means nothing, why does Trump insist everyone around him need to be tested?

Also, there were 70 new cases in WI where the victims said they attended a large social event. Speculation was it was the stay at home protest. Idiots.

At this point, I don't see how anyone can put faith in this Administration. The White House is full of hacks, and the president still doesn't understand how to govern. At least Trump and his staff can do one thing: Wear a mask. Stop worrying how it looks and wear a mask. Show the country this is something everyone can do. There are idiots all over the place.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Dick Allen said:

Its pretty obvious what is going to happen. ... There are going to be a ton of cases tied to events with large groups of people if we have those. The way this is going ... I'd suggest the governors will be the ones to slow/stop the reopening of the USA. Once we get the figures from the first week of reopening, we'll be shut for good through next spring.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Dick Allen said:

If this is the case, it's a good case study. We're all doomed.

• Haha 1

Poor Greg trying to salvage Trump. Let's talk about testing. Trump doesn't like testing because the numbers go up. Trump says testing is a state problem while the Feds seize supplies ordered by states and cities. Jared directs the supplies which in some cases are purchased by distributors. Testing and supplies are crucial to our survival. This is your country looking out for you. Will they kill off enough blue voters and leave enough older voters? 

Greg, Trump will lose but your friends with guns will keep him from leaving. This is your country where you better not kneel during the anthem. 

Seemingly good news today. While Sunday’s in Illinois often see lower reported deaths it’s cases and percentage positive aren’t always far off norms.

New cases dropped to 1650 and tests dropped to 13500. Though it sucks seeing tests drop below 15k, this is a 12% positive rate - the lowest I’ve seen in a while in Illinois.

• Like 1

When testing first surged upward on 4/23, we were at 17% positive. Testing has stayed relatively consistent and stubbornly moved downward, today finally being a nice sign of progress. Next up - 10%, then 3%.