COVID-19/Coronavirus thread

caulfield12

25 minutes ago, greg775 said:

I agree with you on Mr. Trump. If we had the old politics board here, I would give you all my feelings. I can't now or I'd be banned. However ... I also am very wary of the other party. Our governor in Kansas has angered me so much that again, I can't put my true feelings because I am so upset regarding the tyranny.

To end on a more positive note, Happy Mothers Day to all mom's plus a request to weird Al Yankovich: Please create a song entitled "I Need A Haircut." So tonight one of my goals is to find out which counties in Kansas and Missouri are open (thanks governors for making it simple to know ... NOT) and see if I can find out where I can get a haircut legally in a 40-mile radius. I haven't driven out of Lawrence since March 12. I've only had to fill up the car 3 times I believe since then as I do drive around town a lot to get my coffee and groceries and Quik Trip items.

1) Equating measures put in place to keep you and your loved ones from dying=tyranny on an equal scale with the British and French monarchs from 1776-1792, check.

2) Plays conservatives are being unfairly persecuted card when less than five US newspapers have called for Trump to resign over the impeachment issues or pandemic response.  Check.  Hundreds did in the cases of Clinton and Nixon.

3) Blames governors for not giving more explicit instructions (after detailed CDC guidelines to assist them, as well as salons and barber shops, with reopening are withdrawn), which conveniently takes Trump off the hook for every government action we don’t like.  If governors did provide county by county or district by district information, it would amount to more tyranny or policies that were too prescriptive.  Damned if you do, damned if you don’t?

4)  Equates getting a haircut in the face of such tyranny as a patriotic action similar to dumping tea in Boston Harbor...when men all around the world have somehow figured out how to buy and even use their own electric Wahl hair clippers.

5)   Shoutout to President Trump for the low gas prices (which also fails to acknowledge all the US energy companies hemorrhaging jobs in order for us to enjoy $1/gallon gasoline.) 

Edited by caulfield12

7 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

You do know Flynn pled guilty twice.  If it was a couple of second or third teamers at the FBI who scared him into false guilty pleas, how was he going to function as the National Security Advisor? Also, he was fired by Trump for lying to Pence, something Pence commented was the correct move. Now he is some sort of hero. It is truly amazing laws don’t matter. Life doesn’t matter. All that matters is Trump. This can only be described as a cult.

“At least it seems that way in the complicated articles I've read.”

Point rebutted.

Greg, you know we’re just messing with you...especially if you’re going to talk like Bobby Boucher in The Waterboy.

• (Adam Sandler) "Ben Franklin." 
  • (Young Bobby Boucher) "Mama, when did Ben Franklin invent electricity?" 
  • (Kathy Bates) "That's nonsense, I invented electricity. Ben Franklin is the Devil."
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

Pence was going to step back for a couple of days with his press secretary having the virus, but I guess that would be a sign of weakness so he will be at the WH tomorrow. 

“Vice President Pence has not served in the military, but has been a frequent backer in part because of his father's and son's service.“  

Of course.

Dang.  Guess we gotta add a few hundred more cases to the tens of millions of other cases to trace and contain.   Can’t believe a few more slipped through the cracks.  Now it’s probably out there spreading like absolute wildfire.  Man we had it. 

9 minutes ago, Jerksticks said:

Dang.  Guess we gotta add a few hundred more cases to the tens of millions of other cases to trace and contain.   Can’t believe a few more slipped through the cracks.  Now it’s probably out there spreading like absolute wildfire.  Man we had it. 

0.7% of MLB dude. 

I’d consider myself more of an independent moderate but I would really love to know what the GOP and conservatives in Illinois would propose for re-opening. I have heard more complaining and venting than problem solving, which is always helpful and productive.

https://www.chicagotribune.com/columns/john-kass/ct-coronavirus-back-to-work-kass-20200509-hcvnvo7r3faclhhrw7v4735ebq-story.html?fbclid=IwAR0f5HQNcjQSi77jPE-5eDgvYmlIiYlma_gRHPcOZ9TqF5gNFFl9KglTYEI

16 minutes ago, turnin' two said:

Isn't this exactly what you would expect if these people have been social distancing?

Yes, but it tells you an important message. It’s not a random sample, but when you have a person insisting that way more people have been infected than we know (see the last post), this is pretty strongly inconsistent.

and even though it’s not a random sample, it’s telling you that there are enough people out there to do New York scale outbreaks everywhere, several times.

On 5/9/2020 at 6:42 PM, southsider2k5 said:

How old are you?  What is your health like? What is your profession?  Your parents still around?  Spouse or kids have health considerations? 

What odds are you willing to accept that you live through Covid contacts? What would you think if you carried it and one of your parents died? What about a spouse or friend?

See instead of thinking about screwing up my own hair with a pair of clippers,  I choose to think that by avoiding the barbershop I potentially avoided picking up the virus and passing it on to my immunocompromised mother in law whose lowered White blood cell count wouldn't survive this virus.  I think of my dementia inflicted mother who wouldn't understand why she couldn't leave the hospital if she got this by people roaming through her care facility.  I think of my high school buddy down the street whose wife is immunocompromised and waiting on a transplant who would die if she got Covid.

See this is why you run people the wrong way. As everyone here makes sacrifices to ensure life for the ones who don't possess the ability to fight this you take a national tragedy where 10's of thousands of people are already dead and you make it about you and your poor inconveniences. Making a mockery of mental health by tying your hair to mental health, when families have moms and dads who will never come home and are suffering from real depression and mental health effects is insulting. 

Think of someone other than yourself for once.  Quit equating normal people's inconveniences with the true suffering going on in the world right now.  Part of me is probably more enraged than I should be because I think no adult gets this far in life by being this self absorbed and unconscious of the world around them. I also remember you as a very different person when you came to Soxtalk back in the day and suspects this "greg" is all an act, which makes these posts even worse.  Give all of us a break here and start worrying about other people, instead of you and this show.

@greg775 can you respond to the bolded questions? I want to understand your situation further.

Edited by The Beast

11 hours ago, pcq said:

Poor Greg trying to salvage Trump.

What are you talking about. I'd give you my thorough opinion of Trump, but it's not allowed. I don't want to be banned again. I'm addicted.

This is why the whole concept of tests aren’t necessarily great,” Trump said at the White House, as he confirmed a positive test result “out of the blue” for a top staffer, Vice President Pence’s press secretary, Katie Miller.

Apparently, it would be better for the entire WH to test positive and for Nancy Pelosi to becoming acting president, in other words. This is just beyond idiotic.  If they weren’t testing everyday, they would have the entire Cabinet, top advisors (Stephen Miller is now thankfully out), coronavirus task force, etc., in quarantine.  Something about preserving the continuity of power...sounds vaguely familiar.  The irony here is how afraid Trump actually is about germs, that he’s now furious valets weren’t wearing masks, that Katie Miller was going from office to office without a mask talking to everyone, coughing audibly, passing out briefing papers, etc.   If we saw his actual paranoid behaviors behind the scenes, America wouldn’t even open up until 2021 at the earliest.

And, coming directly from the updated handbook of Emoluments Clause digressions:

DEExm67W_reasonably_small.jpg

Level 1:
Game on! We are thrilled to announce the reopening of beginning Saturday May 9th! We look forward to welcoming you back

🏌🏽‍♂️
Book your tee time now! bit.ly/2yCwr2M

Edited by caulfield12

9 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

Yes, but it tells you an important message. It’s not a random sample, but when you have a person insisting that way more people have been infected than we know (see the last post), this is pretty strongly inconsistent.

and even though it’s not a random sample, it’s telling you that there are enough people out there to do New York scale outbreaks everywhere, several times.

Anything’s possible.  We obviously don’t know.  I’d argue the only thing it’s telling you is that the MLB people are probably a super rich, heavily-quarantined population compared to a general sample of an American city.  

I would have expected quite a bit more though for sure.  Maybe you’re right, maybe we can contain it.  That just seems crazy to me. 

On 5/9/2020 at 3:54 PM, greg775 said:

Just a few musings today. ...

a.) Southwest Airlines and all of 'em are requiring masks now. And there is going to be social distancing while boarding and while standing in lines, etc. Can you imagine the rage people are going to have at airports now? Travel has been awful anyway for years, now this. People better try to be kind to each other. I sense a lot of anger regarding masks. It's like the people that have them on are ready to tear the heads off of those who don't. It's time to get kind or there are going to be so many fistfights/arrests/canceled flights because of rage.

b.) Saw 12 people partying on a lawn while driving to the drive through last night for coffee. Weird.

c.) I think the verdict is still out on whether America will ever be the same again. If one person at a danceclub is responsible for shutting down the clubs in Korea another 30 days, makes me think the first sporting event with fans is going to be a disaster in terms of people infecting people. I think we should get used to the idea of sports in empty stadiums for the rest of time. Or stadiums in which maybe they seat 40,000 and 4,000 are allowed in, something like that. With no concessions stands.

d.) It's easy to say American business will never be the same. Airline and train and bus travel and subway travel all sound AWFUL right now. The idea of flying somewhere disgusts me right now.

e.) I would think the movie industry is toast. At least the box office. Again, the idea of a movie theatre is scary and disgusting. I would guess mandatory masks.

f.) Church or in my cass Mass is in danger forever of restarting. Again, there's going to be Mass one weekend, 40 people are going to be infected and that will cause all hell to break loose no pun intended.

g.) People are going to have to be 100 percent healthy to go anywhere. If you have the common cold, it used to be you could go to church, be on airplanes, etc. Now once you cough you are going to get ushered off the flight, the train, the bus. So you are gonna have to be 100 percent healthy at all times or tell your bosses you can't travel that day? Or drive all over the country instead of fly?

h.) People like me who are bored out of their minds and sick of this new normal might get the country opened for good. The ultimate end to all of this is everything will be open and the virus will do what it has to do. There will be normal precautions (masks, distancing laws like SWA's new policy of masks), but the country will be open and never close again and the virus will do what it has to do. How many deaths? Nobody knows. Will it kill me or you? Nobody knows.

Finally if you read this far, yes I'm in my pessimism mode today. I have seen no human beings face to face except zoom for 2 months. This is bullcrap. I'm sick of it. I want to go do something and everything's locked up.

I ALSO NEED A HAIRCUT.

Bless u all. Have a nice weekend, though they all are the same.

775 I hope you are ready for the new age with at the minimum a gun and at best with a passport. After a second, and deadlier wave hits this country we will permanently ban all social gatherings. The only opportunity to be face to face with other humans will be at work. Any form of entertainment will be cancelled. People will be forced to cut their own hair, cut their own nails, and massage our own muscles. Police, in addition to  guns, will be carrying instant read thermometers and if you are running a fever you will be disappeared to a special isolation building. Image no religion too. Once the 1% have control of everything, we will merely be worker bots creating greater wealth for the richest. To avoid the spread of disease we will stop voting and just allow a council if the top ten companies to make decisions. 

• Haha 2

Get a new hobby @greg775

I recently took up wood working and it’s been very fulfilling, time consuming, involved, therapeutic, and will result in products that’ll be passed on to my son.

or just keep stirring around my love. 😆

0009303E-6C00-44AA-ACF4-CD5EBF0DC0BC.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Love 2

50 minutes ago, hi8is said:

Get a new hobby @greg775

I recently took up wood working and it’s been very fulfilling, time consuming, involved, therapeutic, and will result in products that’ll be passed on to my son.

Looks great.

1 hour ago, hi8is said:

Get a new hobby @greg775

nice table! going to stain it or leave it raw?

refinishing my basement in 30 minute stretches when both kids' naps overlap has been the only way I've made in progress since starting with demo after a flood last october

Edited by StrangeSox

12 hours ago, turnin' two said:

Isn't this exactly what you would expect if these people have been social distancing?

If you were to extrapolate this out to the US population, that means we would have about 3 million cases.  With the massive undertesting that is happening, and the stories about many asymptomatic carriers out there my hope was that the number of carriers would be bigger and that we were further along in the spread phase of this.  If this sample really is somewhat indicative of the population as a whole, that means 99% of the population nationwide hasn't been exposed yet, and we have a LONG way to go.

1 hour ago, hi8is said:

Get a new hobby @greg775

That is really nice work!

1 hour ago, Texsox said:

775 I hope you are ready for the new age with at the minimum a gun and at best with a passport. After a second, and deadlier wave hits this country we will permanently ban all social gatherings. The only opportunity to be face to face with other humans will be at work. Any form of entertainment will be cancelled. People will be forced to cut their own hair, cut their own nails, and massage our own muscles. Police, in addition to  guns, will be carrying instant read thermometers and if you are running a fever you will be disappeared to a special isolation building. Image no religion too. Once the 1% have control of everything, we will merely be worker bots creating greater wealth for the richest. To avoid the spread of disease we will stop voting and just allow a council if the top ten companies to make decisions. 

Save this post. Some of it may be true.

15 minutes ago, StrangeSox said:

nice table! going to stain it or leave it raw?

refinishing my basement in 30 minute stretches when both kids' naps overlap has been the only way I've made in progress since starting with demo after a flood last october

Hmmm ... where are you guys getting the wood, the materials? If I were a dxxk I would do what people did to me on here in response to me implying I need a haircut and want one ... I'd say "What? Where are you getting the wood, the nails, the materials?" This is NON ESSENTIAL work and you went to a hardware store?? Hardware stores aren't clean. You could be killing a person spreading the virus!

I'm not a dxxk though so I won't say that.

Edited by greg775