COVID-19/Coronavirus thread

caulfield12

My most recent major project. I made both pieces. The corbels were more fun than I thought. The upper shelf started with some interesting tin my wife found at a restoration shop. 

20200511_104240.jpg

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, greg775 said:

Hmmm ... where are you guys getting the wood, the materials? If I were a dxxk I would do what people did to me on here in response to me implying I need a haircut and want one ... I'd say "What? Where are you getting the wood, the nails, the materials?" This is NON ESSENTIAL work and you went to a hardware store?? Hardware stores aren't clean. You could be killing a person spreading the virus!

I'm not a dxxk though so I won't say that.

Repairs have to keep happening. Lumberyards and Home Centers have never closed here. Maybe there in Missouri. 

15 minutes ago, greg775 said:

Hmmm ... where are you guys getting the wood, the materials? If I were a dxxk I would do what people did to me on here in response to me implying I need a haircut and want one ... I'd say "What? Where are you getting the wood, the nails, the materials?" This is NON ESSENTIAL work and you went to a hardware store?? Hardware stores aren't clean. You could be killing a person spreading the virus!

I'm not a dxxk though so I won't say that.

So you get to stay the victim, while pretending not to be the victim.  This is A+ trolling.

1 minute ago, Texsox said:

Repairs have to keep happening. Lumberyards and Home Centers have never closed here. Maybe there in Missouri. 

I think Greg mentioned he lives in Iowa.

• Haha 1

Just now, southsider2k5 said:

So you get to stay the victim, while pretending not to be the victim.  This is A+ trolling.

Shh. he doesn't realize most people buy that stuff in bulk. Scrap wood challenges have been very popular the past month or two. 

What do you think? Safe or unsafe?

Safety is our priority. When you enter our store, you can feel confident and safe in the service you receive. Our Stylists are Clean Certified with enhancements to our existing processes that are now better, safer and cleaner than ever.

• All Stylists have passed new Clean Certification courses.
  • All Stylists will wear a mask. Wellness checks are performed each day for each Stylist.
  • Clients must wear a mask if required by local or state guidelines.
  • Fresh capes will be used on every Client.
  • Enhanced store and equipment cleaning procedures.
  • Commitment to social distancing recommendations.

Sport Clips accepts contactless payment methods such as Apple Pay, Google Pay, Samsung Pay, and Debit or Credit cards with the Contactless Contactless symbol symbol.

I've been to half a dozen doctor's appointments in the past month, this doesn't seem much worse than that risk. 

9 minutes ago, Texsox said:

What do you think? Safe or unsafe?

I've been to half a dozen doctor's appointments in the past month, this doesn't seem much worse than that risk. 

If a stylist actually is an asymptomatic carrier, and they're breathing through a mask in close proximity to you, indoors, for 20-30 minutes, you've got a good chance of getting it. These aren't gas masks. 

13 hours ago, The Beast said:

@greg775 can you respond to the bolded questions? I want to understand your situation further.

He won't. For as long as he's been here, I know surprisingly little about him other than he lives in Kansas and needs a haircut. I've gone back and forth for years debating whether or not his entire posting history is just a schtick.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, StrangeSox said:

please tell me the pencil sharpener 'went missing' from your classroom

There's like four of those screwed in my basement too. It's wild but also pretty rad the 1x per year it comes up.

I saw a story of a coffee shop in Colorado that was packed with customers. Social distancing was non-existent. People brought their kids. Masks were nowhere to be found. One woman looked at a camera, smiled and gave the thumbs-up sign. Everyone was having a grand time.

It is becoming obvious that enforcing stay-at-home orders will be getting harder and harder. At this point, I don't know what the solution is although I am not going near any crowded coffee shop or crowded anything. This is concerning.

20 minutes ago, NWINFan said:

I saw a story of a coffee shop in Colorado that was packed with customers. Social distancing was non-existent. People brought their kids. Masks were nowhere to be found. One woman looked at a camera, smiled and gave the thumbs-up sign. Everyone was having a grand time.

It is becoming obvious that enforcing stay-at-home orders will be getting harder and harder. At this point, I don't know what the solution is although I am not going near any crowded coffee shop or crowded anything. This is concerning.

At this point in this country, it's just a matter of hoping that the cases don't explode. We've given up. Maybe summer will help? If not, then the rest of the world is going to basically wall off the US and treat us as completely contaminated for the next year.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, StrangeSox said:

please tell me the pencil sharpener 'went missing' from your classroom

LOL. No sharpeners in my classroom. This is a current production. Funny you should mention it but I found one of the original built in the 1950s, must have weighed ten pounds, version at an antique store. Damn thing had a $75 price tag. It was nearly pristine in condition. Just enough wear to give it that authentic feel. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

At this point in this country, it's just a matter of hoping that the cases don't explode. We've given up. Maybe summer will help? If not, then the rest of the world is going to basically wall off the US and treat us as completely contaminated for the next year.

Why would a country treat a US traveler differently?

Is it fair to use S.Korea as an example since they have had the most draconian and successful virus containment to this point?  Since 99.99999% of their population is still completely vulnerable to infection...why would a US visitor be treated differently than a Spanish, Nigerian, Indian etc. visitor?  Isn’t S. Korea still going to quarantine every international traveler for 14-21 days?  Doesn’t that have to be their unwavering policy until a vaccine is deployed?  Otherwise, what they did was pointless.  They have to remain completely isolated and locked down until mass vaccination can occur.  What am I missing?

8 minutes ago, Jerksticks said:

Is it fair to use S.Korea as an example since they have had the most draconian and successful virus containment to this point?  Since 99.99999% of their population is still completely vulnerable to infection...why would a US visitor be treated differently than a Spanish, Nigerian, Indian etc. visitor?  Isn’t S. Korea still going to quarantine every international traveler for 14-21 days?  Doesn’t that have to be their unwavering policy until a vaccine is deployed?  Otherwise, what they did was pointless.  They have to remain completely isolated and locked down until mass vaccination can occur.  What am I missing?

Why do you think South Korea was the most draconian? They were a success of testing and tracing, not shutdowns. Their shut downs have been targeted.

They are literally playing baseball right now.

14 minutes ago, Jerksticks said:

I don't know numbers about India, but Spain's newly identified caseload yesterday is 1/3 of what it was at their peak. There's a good chance that any individual traveler from Spain might be clean, you just have to worry about how to deal with them in groups. 

If the US has decided they're going to go up in cases and not down, then within a few weeks it's going to be so prevalent for the US that you can't make that assumption, instead you have to assume that every individual traveler from the US probably has it and just not import them at all. Even a 21 day quarantine still puts your health services at risk.

1 hour ago, Iwritecode said:

He won't. For as long as he's been here, I know surprisingly little about him other than he lives in Kansas and needs a haircut. I've gone back and forth for years debating whether or not his entire posting history is just a schtick.

^His daughters will be surgeons and his wife is a pharmacist. Seems pretty connected to the medical community.

1 hour ago, Balta1701 said:

I went to pick something up on Sunday (and I'm in CA) and it felt like much more normal weekend traffic than any recent week. As I was driving, so lots of places with long lines, etc. I don't know if it is the combination of warm weather & mother's day or if it is just macro fatigue over everything.  This weekend was very different from any recent weekend (no doubt about that).  

18 minutes ago, Yearnin' for Yermin said:

^His daughters will be surgeons and his wife is a pharmacist. Seems pretty connected to the medical community.

Yet his posts scream the complete opposite.  I wonder why that is?  Actually I don't.

4 hours ago, Texsox said:

775 I hope you are ready for the new age with at the minimum a gun and at best with a passport. After a second, and deadlier wave hits this country we will permanently ban all social gatherings. The only opportunity to be face to face with other humans will be at work. Any form of entertainment will be cancelled. People will be forced to cut their own hair, cut their own nails, and massage our own muscles. Police, in addition to  guns, will be carrying instant read thermometers and if you are running a fever you will be disappeared to a special isolation building. Image no religion too. Once the 1% have control of everything, we will merely be worker bots creating greater wealth for the richest. To avoid the spread of disease we will stop voting and just allow a council if the top ten companies to make decisions. 

Sounds like the Covid 19 version of John Lennon’s Imagine.

4 hours ago, hi8is said:

Get a new hobby @greg775

I recently took up wood working and it’s been very fulfilling, time consuming, involved, therapeutic, and will result in products that’ll be passed on to my son.

or just keep stirring around my love. 😆

0009303E-6C00-44AA-ACF4-CD5EBF0DC0BC.jpeg

Where is the wooden toilet?  Next project?

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

I went to pick something up on Sunday (and I'm in CA) and it felt like much more normal weekend traffic than any recent week. As I was driving, so lots of places with long lines, etc. I don't know if it is the combination of warm weather & mother's day or if it is just macro fatigue over everything.  This weekend was very different from any recent weekend (no doubt about that).  

I'm doing grocery runs and Dr. runs and that's it for anything other than walking the dog. But it's clearly noticeable how there are fewer masks and fewer precautions than even 2 weeks ago here. I'd say 1/3 of Kroger and 60% of Aldi customers had masks. I had masks, gloves, and a sanitizer strategy, and will for the foreseeable future apparently. We can see people having familial get-togethers in our neighborhood.

I seriously feel like "luck" is the plan at this point here because everyone's convinced it's over and wasn't a big deal to begin with, and maybe that works but...?