COVID-19/Coronavirus thread

caulfield12

EXwTTjjXgAA0V-n?format=jpg&name=medium

If govt wants people wearing masks, they should set up trucks in front of grocery stores passing out masks. Government has made compliance incredibly onerous on individuals.

When you want a lot of people to do stuff you make it easy to do stuff. 

18 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Yet his posts scream the complete opposite.  I wonder why that is?  Actually I don't.

Also odd that in 18 years and over 30,000 posts that he's only ever mentioned having a family one time.

The grocery stores and pick up restaurants by me now have signs that say you need a mask to enter. More people the last few days seem to be wearing masks, but there still are plenty who do not The people out for a run kind of scare me. I get running with a mask on would be kind of tough, but runners are breathing a bit harder than those walking, and running right by them seems like something could pop out of their mouth a bit easier with their heavier breathing.

1 minute ago, Dick Allen said:

The grocery stores and pick up restaurants by me now have signs that say you need a mask to enter. More people the last few days seem to be wearing masks, but there still are plenty who do not The people out for a run kind of scare me. I get running with a mask on would be kind of tough, but runners are breathing a bit harder than those walking, and running right by them seems like something could pop out of their mouth a bit easier with their heavier breathing.

Exercising outdoors is one place where if you can keep 6 feet of distance I think you're probably in good shape, even if the person passing you is wearing no mask. Even if you get a little bit from someone, it's unlikely to be an infectious dose, and air currents will stir it up pretty quick, and it won't survive all that long in sunlight although how long we're not sure. I'm more worried about outdoor surfaces than outdoor air, and far more worried about anything indoor than that.

1 hour ago, Jerksticks said:

Why would a country treat a US traveler differently?

Is it fair to use S.Korea as an example since they have had the most draconian and successful virus containment to this point?  Since 99.99999% of their population is still completely vulnerable to infection...why would a US visitor be treated differently than a Spanish, Nigerian, Indian etc. visitor?  Isn’t S. Korea still going to quarantine every international traveler for 14-21 days?  Doesn’t that have to be their unwavering policy until a vaccine is deployed?  Otherwise, what they did was pointless.  They have to remain completely isolated and locked down until mass vaccination can occur.  What am I missing?

You really have to ask this with the current political climate?   How many times has Trump brought up the China flight ban that still let in 40,000...while inexplicably dilly-dallying 2-3 weeks too long on Europe, because, well, they were not shith%#$ countries?

Do you honestly think China in this present climate will allow US entry any time soon (their bans on all intl. travelers went in place on March 28th, so already six weeks.)

We can, in return, block $15 billion worth of international students from China and India, and threaten the bankruptcy of roughly 30-40% of US colleges and universities in the process.  Is that a good thing to winnow out the weakest, those without massive endowments that are barely getting by with small liberal arts programs rather than focusing on STEM, business/entrepreneurship/finance, etc.?   Capitalists might say yes.

Of course, then you’re going to have yet another tranche of permanent lost jobs, not to mention the marked fall in tourism spending/shopping.   The result will be significant tuition hikes on in-state/out of state tuition as well as the even bigger impacts on private schools...because the climate for raising taxes to support state colleges and universities is simply non-existent. 

Finally, there’s going to be hell to pay for international airlines that connect through all the hubs in the US and China, American as well as Chinese/HK based carriers. 

PS.  Korean and draconian don’t belong in the same sentence.  I spent an extra 15-20 minutes yesterday just negotiating all the locked metal gates (installed to enforce quarantines) in my neighborhood just to get to the local mall for lunch.  Keep in mind, this is week 17-18 over in China, and 17 new cases the last two days in Wuhan.   Had to pass through two massive police checkpoints where they check documents and health pass/codes....waiting patiently for them to write down my passport and phone number.   Some residents creatively cut individual bars out of the gates, so women and children can fit through, but it will be a miracle if 20% of small businesses can survive with convenient access now cut off to these local main streets from individual apartment complexes.  Just locked metal gates everywhere you go.  The fabricating company might be the only one to profit from all this.

Edited by caulfield12

2 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

If a stylist actually is an asymptomatic carrier, and they're breathing through a mask in close proximity to you, indoors, for 20-30 minutes, you've got a good chance of getting it. These aren't gas masks. 

Why pick on barbers? Geez, there is risk everywhere. These people and their kids are starving and soon will be homeless. The treatment of salon owners has been despicable. I bought two masks from a lady who handed them to me in her driveway. That could be equally dangerous. Stylists deserve a right to live as well.

2 hours ago, Iwritecode said:

He won't. For as long as he's been here, I know surprisingly little about him other than he lives in Kansas and needs a haircut. I've gone back and forth for years debating whether or not his entire posting history is just a schtick.

I said I would meet anybody at a ballgame. I would hope I wouldn't get punched. I haven't been punched since 7th grade.

Edited by greg775

1 minute ago, greg775 said:

Why pick on barbers? Geez, there is risk everywhere. These people and their kids are starving and soon will be homeless. The treatment of salon owners has been despicable. I bought two masks from a lady who handed them to me in her driveway. That could be equally dangerous. Stylists deserve a right to live as well.

Which takes longer, a haircut or exchanging dollars outside for a mask? I'd imagine the latter transaction took seconds, while the former would take what, 20 minutes? Which one of those is in a tight, enclosed space with limited airflow, and which of them was in a spot with a breeze? Barbers are specifically a setting where transmission is likely, even with a mask, because any person that is infected will be there for a while, touch a lot of surfaces, and put a lot into the air. 

By the way, congratulations on overcoming your reluctance to find a mask.

3 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Which takes longer, a haircut or exchanging dollars outside for a mask? I'd imagine the latter transaction took seconds, while the former would take what, 20 minutes? Which one of those is in a tight, enclosed space with limited airflow, and which of them was in a spot with a breeze? Barbers are specifically a setting where transmission is likely, even with a mask, because any person that is infected will be there for a while, touch a lot of surfaces, and put a lot into the air. 

How the hell do you tie these masks on your head? There's long strips that do not wrap around the ear. Do you make a regular hard shoelace knot in the back??

My barber has penciled me in for a haircut a week from Thurs. We open up allegedly. Damn I dunno if I can make it that long. I need to get a new Sox hat somewhere to wear.

Edited by greg775
  • Haha 3

8 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Exercising outdoors is one place where if you can keep 6 feet of distance I think you're probably in good shape, even if the person passing you is wearing no mask. Even if you get a little bit from someone, it's unlikely to be an infectious dose, and air currents will stir it up pretty quick, and it won't survive all that long in sunlight although how long we're not sure. I'm more worried about outdoor surfaces than outdoor air, and far more worried about anything indoor than that.

https://www.erinbromage.com/post/the-risks-know-them-avoid-them

This recent write-up gave me some comfort with respect to the concerns you noted. 

Just now, greg775 said:

How the hell do you tie these masks on your head? There's long strips that do not wrap around the ear. Do you make a regular hard shoelace knot in the back??

My barber has penciled me in for a haircut a week from Thurs. We open up allegedly. Damn I dunno if I can make it that long. I need to get a new Sox hat somewhere to wear.

Is the design something like this?

15.jpg 

8 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

You may laugh but at some point barbers are essential and should be treated that way. I mean going 3.5 months without a haircut can't be sanitary if that's the right word. Also there's still a stigma against people with really long hair in the business world. The barber can chop away as fast as he/she can when a person is in the chair. Cmon people are driving on the subway and buses every day. A barber should be allowed to perform his/her craft. I mean, cmon, there are plenty of examples of people spreading corona and the barbershop experience is no worse than many.

Edited by greg775

2 minutes ago, greg775 said:

Sort of. The mask is thinner to cover the mouth and nose but each side like this picture has two straps.

Yeah, so 2 ties, around the back of your head, one over your ears, one below your ears, cover both nose and mouth. 

Do not touch the front after you put it on, until it has been cleaned.

4 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Linked it a couple days ago so :)

I figured. I stopped catching up on every post in this thread but glad to know it's being shared. Like I said, it gives me a little sense of security when I venture out. 

11 minutes ago, greg775 said:

You may laugh but at some point barbers are essential and should be treated that way. I mean going 3.5 months without a haircut can't be sanitary if that's the right word. Also there's still a stigma against people with really long hair in the business world. The barber can chop away as fast as he/she can when a person is in the chair. Cmon people are driving on the subway and buses every day. A barber should be allowed to perform his/her craft. I mean, cmon, there are plenty of examples of people spreading corona and the barbershop experience is no worse than many.

Do you not wash your hair in those 3.5 months?  Because that is the only reason it wouldn't be sanitary.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, greg775 said:

At this rate, dwelling in a campus town, you are poised to be the vanguard of this budding new movement of remote laser hair cutting and sculpting...currently, only coastal elites have access, with KS 46th or 47th on the list for potential adoption.

Well, this is slightly unsettling...
Here's the thing about #COVID19 : it will continue to circulate in the world, returning over and over, until 7.8 billion humans have been immunized. Also, the Wuhan cases were previously classified asymptomatic carriers, suggesting VERY long incubation times.
Edited by caulfield12

26 minutes ago, greg775 said:

Once again Tex can explain it for you but he can't understand it for you. He posted about his local Sports Clips and the steps they are taking now that they are reopen. It is normal for people to stay on topic. Hey look a squirrel!! 

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, greg775 said:

The strings may be too short. Hobby Lobby has extenders. 

• Haha 1

ye gods, maybe we are finally turning the corner in Illinois.

While testing again declined, only 1,266 cases reported on 12500 tests, a 10% positive rate, after a decline yesterday put it at 12%, which was a 2% decline from the day prior.

It is unlikely to be this precipitous, but we've had a number of successes from the 20k tests in a day a few days ago to real declines for the first time in a month.

https://www.dph.illinois.gov/covid19/covid19-statistics