COVID-19/Coronavirus thread

caulfield12

29 minutes ago, Soxbadger said:

Greg,

A lot of my plans this year have been cancelled due to this. I really dont want to be locked down over the entire summer. That being said, in the grand scheme it is a minor inconvenience. While I likely may be okay if I get Covid, what if I pass it onto my parents, what if they die due to my actions? What if someone else's mother died because of your actions?

Its not as simple as you make it out to be.

I dont have the answers, my best answer is that everyone works together to limit contact as much as possible as quickly as possible to slow the spread. That we get the country in a good enough position if there is a flare up that we can handle it as good as possible. The problem is that when everyone doesnt work together, we just keep going back to square one.

People in my family have gone through far worse than having to stay inside for a few months, having to miss a summer. They went through the worst moments in history, to one day have a chance at a better life. You cant judge your life on the minute you live in.  

you don't think manslaughter of your parents isn't a reasonable response to wanting a haircut?  You heathen.

13 minutes ago, Soxbadger said:

The only reason the economy is a problem is because of politics. Back in February/March you could have shut down most non essential business and had the govt directly pay anyone who lost their job and it would have cost less than the PPP and other stimulus plans. The reason why the economy is as problem is because politics require that we protect the sacred cows of the US, the ultra wealthy. 

The reason why people need to take it serious now, is to prevent the destruction of the economy. If everyone can band together for a month, we can start to make progress. 

This is a great post.  The rest of the world recognized that if they were going to lockdown people, they would have to provide for their people's needs.  But in the US, we are going to make you choose between starving and exposing yourself to the most dangerous contagion in the past 100 years, all so they don't have to pay you for unemployment.

• Thanks 2

40 minutes ago, greg775 said:

Great points! I am assuming you are in the "Keep it locked down" crowd. We're up to 20 percent unemployment. How high can we go before the riots? The shortages? Dick ... are you confident in the scenarios I've mentioned regarding travel (even travel on the train from Naperville to downtown Chicago and back; and the uber and the bus) that the corona germ would EVER be absent in your daily life once it resumes to normal? They can clean all they want. We have two choices: Stay locked down til May of 2021 or 2022, completely locked down til we have vaccine or treatment, or open it up to an earth where slobs will make sure there are germs out there RAMPANT during flu season (September til March). You want it locked down for a long time, right? I say we can't lock it down any longer cause of life.

i want it locked down until it's safe. My wife has asthma. If she gets this, she could die. I don't need to risk going to a restauarant and trusting everyone is healthy and everything is clean. I am no germophobe, but this thing scares me. We need a lot more testing. Potentially putting your life in someone else's hands every time you go out is pretty scary.  Would a parent send their child to school with what is now out there with kids? Chances are it won't happen to them, but what if it does? I just take all the people telling me to be a warrior and go out and risk my life, aren't willing to do the same. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, greg775 said:

Disagree. I watched a neat video today that said the purpose of life is not merely to keep living. Two months of this is enough. The way my life works I'll tell you what's going to happen no MATTER the precautions. I am going to get coronavirus at some point. Why? Cause I never touch my face with my hands, I wash a lot, I pay attention to stuff germ wise YET because I travel, every winter I get 3, count em, 3 colds, vicious colds and coughs. This year one of em will be corona for sure.

Why? Slobs at the airport and on planes and germy hotel rooms and rental cars and coffee shops and restaurants. You have to go to the bathroom at an airport? That's where I'll catch it. On a packed plane? That's where I'll get it. At a sporting event or movie? Yes at my church or an out of town church. That's where I'll get it.

Look ... I'm not condoning we all get it. But I'm going to get it no matter what and most of us are, according to my nurse brother. It's not just about me needing a haircut (yes I'll probably get germs of corona or a cold at the barbershop or church; that's possible too) or wanting to go to a restaurant. Remember the purpose of life is not just to keep living. And that is natural and that will make sure we all get corona LIKELY no matter what precautions we take.

Agreed. G7 will catch it. That's just the way it is. Why wait? The purpose of life is to get a disease. To spread it to others. The purpose of life is to get a haircut (the wait at my local Sports Clips is over four hours right now and my usual place didn't open after a shooting and stabbing).

That's the secret to a happy life! Getting sick! The purpose to life CAN be found in an airport bathroom, just ask around about which bathroom. I agree that's exactly where you will catch "it". 

Let us know how it turns out for you. 

• Like 1

G7 circa 1941

"G7 we have to join the Army. They just bombed is, we have to fight!"

"But can I get a haircut? I'm not joining if I can't a haircut. No beach invasions with long hair"

G7 Circa 1961

"Ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country"

"But can I get a haircut? I'm not doing anything if I can't a haircut."

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, greg775 said:

A month? You mean another month or 12, right? 

China absolutely crushed this in 2 months. They still have flareups, but they don't have 10,000 new cases per day, they have a handful, after being in a situation almost as bad as ours was to start. The United States has barely made a dent in this over the past 2 months. Italy has hammered theirs in 2 months. Spain has hammered theirs in 2 months. 

2 months of a real, sustained effort could have knocked this down to very little transmission. What things you can open from there is a question we don't know the answer to, but we have already seen how failure to do what is necessary has prolonged this for the US. 

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

i want it locked down until it's safe. 

Chances are that won't be until May 2021 at the earliest. I'm no dummy and this this is going to spike so badly this flu season. So what do we do for food and money to pay rent? If we go til May 2021 it could be 60-80 percent unemployment. What the hell are we gonna do when the food shortages cause utter havoc? If it's locked down until its safe, a.) governors need to send us 5,000 dollars per month and b.) somehow the government needs to keep the groceries stocked cause all restaurants will be shuttered down.

• Haha 1

40 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

What's the 5 day average in total confirmed cases doing up there? We're going upwards.

Daily new cases were headed slightly downward but this 4k number puts it upward.

24 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

China absolutely crushed this in 2 months. They still have flareups, but they don't have 10,000 new cases per day, they have a handful, after being in a situation almost as bad as ours was to start. The United States has barely made a dent in this over the past 2 months. Italy has hammered theirs in 2 months. Spain has hammered theirs in 2 months. 

2 months of a real, sustained effort could have knocked this down to very little transmission. What things you can open from there is a question we don't know the answer to, but we have already seen how failure to do what is necessary has prolonged this for the US. 

The Global Health Security Index actually had the US rated as the country best equipped to handle a pandemic.

Which makes it all the sadder.

https://www.statista.com/chart/20629/ability-to-respond-to-an-epidemic-or-pandemic/

On 5/11/2020 at 2:09 PM, greg775 said:

How the hell do you tie these masks on your head? There's long strips that do not wrap around the ear. Do you make a regular hard shoelace knot in the back??

My barber has penciled me in for a haircut a week from Thurs. We open up allegedly. Damn I dunno if I can make it that long. I need to get a new Sox hat somewhere to wear.

You say your wife is a pharmacist, your daughters are studying to become surgeons and your brother is a nurse but you don't know how to tie on a mask? Seriously???  

On 5/11/2020 at 2:06 PM, greg775 said:

I said I would meet anybody at a ballgame. I would hope I wouldn't get punched. I haven't been punched since 7th grade.

Good job not answering the questions.

• Like 1

So a few days ago New York reported that they're suddenly seeing kids in the hospital and even dying a few weeks after COVID infections and now that they're looking for it they've identified 100 examples of it. Somehow it seems related to kids that were infected with weak cases but it's not at all understood yet.

Anyway, this one seems worth noting particularly if you have kids. They might have it, show very weak or no symptoms, and then a few weeks later start showing something like this, triggered by the initial infection. 

37 minutes ago, greg775 said:

A month? You mean another month or 12, right? 

It shouldnt take 12 months. The reason why the US is having these problems is because we cant sacrifice in the short term for a better result in the long term.

Imagine going to get a haircut. At the same time another customer wants their haircut.

Which is faster:

A) The barber cuts your hair and the second customer waits patiently.

B) The second customer keeps stopping your barber by complaining about how long its taking.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Soxbadger said:

It shouldnt take 12 months. The reason why the US is having these problems is because we cant sacrifice in the short term for a better result in the long term.

Imagine going to get a haircut. At the same time another customer wants their haircut.

Which is faster:

A) The barber cuts your hair and the second customer waits patiently.

B) The second customer keeps stopping your barber by complaining about how long its taking.

I related it to being punished by your parents and having to stand in the corner for 10 minutes. But instead of just doing that, you keep leaving and the time keeps starting over. Then you end up in the corner for hours instead of just the initial 10 minutes.   

• Thanks 3

28 minutes ago, Soxbadger said:

I think everybody has sacrificed in the short term; it's just that people after two months are fed up with it.  No job means no $$ means starvation and homelessness. Maybe government shoulda given everybody 5,000 bucks a month to shut em up.

Edited by greg775
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

28 minutes ago, greg775 said:

I think everybody has sacrificed in the short term; it's just that people after two months are fed up with it.  No job means no $$ means starvation and homelessness. Maybe government shoulda given everybody 5,000 bucks a month to shut em up.

Well bless your heart thinking of everybody that way. I'm wondering why you would make such a suggestion when you already know about things like unemployment insurance, WIC, SNAP, and other government programs to keep people fed. 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, greg775 said:

Greg, it’s still not over here in China after arguably 5-6 months, as we have always been operating on an early to mid November timeline for the very beginning of this whole thing.

We had the most extreme, draconian, lockdown measures anywhere.

Imagine every road/lane/alley into and out of your neighborhood had locked metal gates and police checkpoints. You’d just drive right through those gates like in a late 70’s Clint Eastwood movie, right?   That your daily health status to even go out was determined by algorithms on a mobile phone application...which in the US 35% would absolutely refuse to use.

Look at all these places with early success like South Korea, Singapore, Japan, Hong Kong...other than Vietnam (can’t trust numbers that pristine), Taiwan and New Zealand, there are few success stories.   And these are parts of the world that already experienced SARs in their lifetimes, which is why everyone is more than willing to wear a mask.   It’s a sign or symbol of being responsible and concerned for your own health and especially the heath and safety of those around you.

We might shut down a city of 11 million again...and I might have to retest just a couple of weeks after supposedly passing with flying colors...because, count ‘em, 17 local infections.

Imagine shutting down the entire state of KS over 17 cases.  The whole state’s population being tested.  That’s how extreme things are...but haircuts!  Starbucks!  

And you can simply forget your scenario of 3-4 business trips or otherwise in the winter...companies will cancel them to conserve resources in lieu of teleconferencing and 90%+ will be afraid to fly until there’s a vaccine.  Unless they just get so desperate they say “F_____ it!” but that’s not going to be any of those 1%ers imploring everyone to go back to work to increase profits and make their lives more convenient again.

Edited by caulfield12

2 hours ago, Texsox said:

G7 circa 1941

"G7 we have to join the Army. They just bombed is, we have to fight!"

"But can I get a haircut? I'm not joining if I can't a haircut. No beach invasions with long hair"

G7 Circa 1961

"Ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country"

"But can I get a haircut? I'm not doing anything if I can't a haircut."

Am I wrong, or are you the dude that had the hair cut appointment scheduled like 3 days ago? 

If so, you seem super hypocritical with this.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, NorthSideSox72 said:

For the love of God people. STOP REPLYING TO GREG. Dude is getting you all twisted with his shtick, and it is working perfectly for him.

Ignore him, and he will slowly fade away. Please, for all of us.

Unfortunately, Greg has transformed himself martyr-like into a living pinata, an apropos representation of roughly 35% of our fellow Americans.

He, like they, won’t go away so easily or quietly.  ( Just like coronavirus briefings.)  As soon as you start ignoring them, something even more outrageous happens to drive the next media cycle.    I spend literally hours each day now explaining that not all Americans agree with or believe about China whatever the President and people like Greg might argue.  They simply can’t fathom how a leader could seemingly care so little about the people who are dying by the thousands each and every day.  If America is (as they’ve believed for a lifetime) the #1 and best country in the world and THIS is the example being set, what hope is there for everyone else?

Everyone currently is watching Trump’s treatment of that Chinese-American reporter (Weijia Jiang) on social media (end of Monday Rose Garden press conference)...and thinking all Americans are like that.   We are talking hundreds of millions of people watching every single day and laughing/crying about what’s going on in the US.   I’m close to running out of plausible counter arguments.

Edited by caulfield12

Just now, turnin' two said:

Am I wrong, or are you the dude that had the hair cut appointment scheduled like 3 days ago? 

If so, you seem super hypocritical with this.

Yep, had one scheduled then some dude went and stabbed one employee and shot and killed another as they were trying to reopen the shop. Now I'm waiting for Sports Clips to have less than a three hour wait. I'll probably check again with them in a few weeks. Thanks for asking!

I enjoy G7's daily status report about his unsanitary hair,  how he can't find a mask, then can't find a mask that fits his big head and glasses, then can't get it tied. I would love to work Improv with him, he is amazing at offering people stuff they can work with. This thread is filled with stressful news from around the world then boom, G7 jumps in with statements like we're going to be one of the poorest countries on the planet by the end of the year, or 60% unemployment and starvation, or he's going to catch the virus in a germy airport bathroom. 

• Haha 1

https://www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2020/05/how-hong-kong-beating-coronavirus/611524/

Not sure if anyone saw this. In general, The Atlantic has been my favorite source for compelling COVID stories on a regular basis. Hopefully HK doesn't become the latest success story casualty due to excessive accolades, but this does strongly indicate if people wash hands, wear masks, supply medical workers, and prevent uncontrolled outside visitors, this thing can be beaten, but it requires near complete cooperation from the population. 

Just now, Pants Rowland said:

https://www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2020/05/how-hong-kong-beating-coronavirus/611524/

Not sure if anyone saw this. In general, The Atlantic has been my favorite source for compelling COVID stories on a regular basis. Hopefully HK doesn't become the latest success story casualty due to excessive accolades, but this does strongly indicate if people wash hands, wear masks, supply medical workers, and prevent uncontrolled outside visitors, this thing can be beaten, but it requires near complete cooperation from the population. 

And centralized quarantine!

7 minutes ago, Pants Rowland said:

But, without the previous experience with SARs in 2002-03...which hit southern China and HK directly, such a response would never have been possible.   This time around, there was a consensus pretty much immediately on following the strictest guidelines...with everyone adhering, regardless of which side of the protests they were on for months and months prior.

Unfortunately, the rest of the world outside of SE Asia has yet to learn their lesson/s adequately...and probably won’t until the next pandemic hits.

Plus, quarantine is much easier to enforce on an island by shutting down one road, bridges, ferries, subways/tunnels and HKIA.

Edited by caulfield12