COVID-19/Coronavirus thread

caulfield12

2 minutes ago, Jose Abreu said:

I must have missed that. I knew it was getting lower but not that much, this soon. That’s great

certainly still in fingers crossed mode but even yesterdays case count was just 13 or so percent. But we were stuck above 20% for weeks, then 15% after the testing jump. First real decline I feel.

In the small victories column, I've made a concerted effort to take at least two walks a day of around a mile and a half each (unlike Lawrence, Kansas, we are allowed outside), and between that and making food at home, I've lost seven pounds of bad weight. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, Kyyle23 said:

I think some states want to require it, but then you have in Michigan security guards getting shot in the head after arguing with a customer over wearing one.

the biggest problem with all of this is the United states as a whole believes nobody can tell them what to do.  And it gets worse every day

Illinois "requires" it but my wife works in a gas station where they don't enforce either the employees or the customers wearing them. My daughter works at a pizza place where they were told by management that they can't turn customers away for not wearing one. 

3 hours ago, Texsox said:

It will depend on how you are using the data. If you are studying the cancer rate you would want to know the person had cancer. If you are studying traffic fatalities, you would want to know about the accident. With technology today, it seems like we could have both. Why work a 2020 problem with 1960s methods and tools? 

I've read that death certificates do have a place for secondary cause of death. I don't know if it's standard nation wide or not. 

18 minutes ago, Iwritecode said:

Illinois "requires" it but my wife works in a gas station where they don't enforce either the employees or the customers wearing them. My daughter works at a pizza place where they were told by management that they can't turn customers away for not wearing one. 

I've read that death certificates do have a place for secondary cause of death. I don't know if it's standard nation wide or not. 

well there is cause of and underlying cause of death, and quite a few steps. 

Ultimately we are talking about marginal cases and I don't know how much it really informs us anyway.

The nuances of whether or not someone died of COVID really have me shaking my head. If there is a statistically significant abnormal spike in American deaths during this time, it is valid to assume it is COVID related, even if not directly.

First, the lack of testing makes it all the more likely that many deaths encompassed in that abnormal spike were directly due to COVID, even if not confirmed via test or autopsy. Second, the tax that COVID has brought on the country is real. There are likely many preventable deaths due to diabetes, hypertension, depression, anxiety, etc. that were accelerated by COVID. Hospitals were at capacity, people did not want to go out due to fear, people felt hopeless and isolated, etc. It's all related whether you actually got the bug or not.

The fact that we continue to lack a national plan for testing, containment, and safe reopening will continue to feed the societal fears and lead to further indirect deaths. So, whether or not any death can specifically be verified due to COVID is really immaterial to anyone who dies or loses someone important to them. To me, 80K or so deaths is probably an undercount. 

• Like 3

Just now, Iwritecode said:

Absolutely. Example: Immediate cause congestive heart failure consequence of arteriosclerotic disease consequence of chronic brain syndrome. That is an IL form. 

It all comes down to how much we care about “society,” and how we define it.  Do we place our own individual needs ahead of everyone else, and why?   Is it more that our concerns (these days) don’t flow beyond the boundaries of our neighborhood, our local bowling league or our volunteer or church group?   Is it simply a blowback to globalization...that we’ve been taught since at least the 1990’s  that we’re all in this together as a global community, leading to inevitable “but why don’t we help OUR own people more?” conversations.  We were talking in the office yesterday and my British co-worker pointed out that we were losing the forest for the trees arguing that Trump was xenophobic or racist or whatever label you want to put to it...yet it’s striking how much the consequence of that attitude (are you one of “ours,” or not?) is affecting the attitudes of so many around the world.   We can’t even agree on what it means to be an American, and who has the “right” to be considered one.  And it extends across the globe. Many Europeans today would prefer the EU collapse, rather than assist fellow member countries financially.  Inward looking authoritarian is rising across much of the world.  Is it really any surprise that the conflict within our own country is being mirrored right back at us, as the so-called leader of the free world?

There’s a certain kind of American, now legendary the world over, who thinks that carrying a gun to Starbucks, not vaccinating their kids, denying their neighbors retirement, and denying their own families decent healthcare, is the pinnacle of intelligence, civilization, decency, and progress. The rest of the world, and the rest of America, has come to know such people as the American Idiot. The American Idiot, it seems, knows no bounds. Today, for example, their latest and greatest cause is to protest against lockdown, reopen a pandemic-ridden society where the infection rate hasn’t even fallen yet, thus ensuring that death on a mass scale becomes death on an historic one. The question therefore arises: are such people (for whom the idea of a society of equals, who people are to respect, care for, nourish, and protect) simply… sociopaths?

I mean that in this sense: to the American Idiot, society doesn’t really exist. Everyone is an enemy, a rival, an adversary, cannon fodder. Come down with a deadly pandemic? Too bad for you. You must have been weak, and only the strong survive. This kind of attitude, which betrays a stunning indifference to everyone else’s life or death, is surely the essence of sociopathy. So: are we living in the age of the sociopath? And isn’t that one of the things the pandemic proves, despite all the feel-good stories of doctors and nurses? That many of us have become hardened to the point of indiffierence about life and death? But can you have a functioning society made of sociopaths — and if you can’t, what percentage of sociopaths does it take to destabilize a functioning society for everyone else?

https://eand.co/how-freedom-turned-sociopathic-in-america-963048c59f8f

Edited by caulfield12

35 minutes ago, pcq said:

Absolutely. Example: Immediate cause congestive heart failure consequence of arteriosclerotic disease consequence of chronic brain syndrome. That is an IL form. 

Well that is quite specific!

We have 32.3% of the global Covid cases, 28.6% of the total deaths and yet comprise only 4.2% of the total population.

Within the week, we’ll be ahead of the 2nd, 3rd and 4th worst countries combined...which are the UK, Italy and then Spain/France, which currently are neck and neck for #4/5.

1 hour ago, caulfield12 said:

It all comes down to how much we care about “society,” and how we define it.  Do we place our own individual needs ahead of everyone else, and why?   Is it more that our concerns (these days) don’t flow beyond the boundaries of our neighborhood, our local bowling league or our volunteer or church group?   Is it simply a blowback to globalization..

Who is "we?" The politicians are getting paid, not furloughed. They are eating designer ice cream. Are they in it with us? Or are they interested in exerting all the power they can now that they have it?  I don't know how much "they" care about society, all of em. It's all partisan. Where's the money we were promised? I didn't get my 1200 bucks yet and it should be a lot more than that per month if we "care about society."

WHO says the virus may never go away.   https://www.business-standard.com/article/current-affairs/coronavirus-live-updates-india-covid-19-global-cases-death-toll-economic-package-lockdown-4-usa-maharashtra-delhi-corona-latest-news-120051300100_1.html

Matt McConnehey (sp) had a good video saying it's all political. We are not in it together. It's left (wear masks) vs. right (I ain't wearing a mask) and left (keep the country closed) vs. right (open it up).

We're close to a civil war with all the hatred. Trump says all schools should open. Others are screaming, "over my dead body. We are closed!" Let's face it. We're close to Armageddon. Americans hate each other because politics is out of control. 

If COVID is here forever like WHO suggests ... wow. We better start getting along.

Edited by greg775
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, greg775 said:

Who is "we?" The politicians are getting paid, not furloughed. They are eating designer ice cream. Are they in it with us? Or are they interested in exerting all the power they can now that they have it?  I don't know how much "they" care about society, all of em. It's all partisan. Where's the money we were promised? I didn't get my 1200 bucks yet and it should be a lot more than that per month if we "care about society."

WHO says the virus may never go away.   https://www.business-standard.com/article/current-affairs/coronavirus-live-updates-india-covid-19-global-cases-death-toll-economic-package-lockdown-4-usa-maharashtra-delhi-corona-latest-news-120051300100_1.html

Matt McConnehey (sp) had a good video saying it's all political. We are not in it together. It's left (wear masks) vs. right (I ain't wearing a mask) and left (keep the country closed) vs. right (open it up).

We're close to a civil war with all the hatred. Trump says all schools should open. Others are screaming, "over my dead body. We are closed!" Let's face it. We're close to Armageddon. Americans hate each other because politics is out of control. 

If COVID is here forever like WHO suggests ... wow. We better start getting along.

Dr. Trump has assured us this will just go away, vaccine or not. And a lot sooner than anyone thinks. He is the smartest person in the history of the world.

• Haha 2

Hey @NorthSideSox72, remember when I said that the Wisconsin Supreme Court was obviously going to overturn the Governor's Stay at Home order because they're Republicans and you outlined all the legal details for why the governor had that authority, as though the Republicans on the Supreme Court cared about the Rule of Law? Some folks would like to laugh at you.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, greg775 said:

We meaning all the residents of Lawrence or even Douglas County, all the residents of Kansas, all Americans.

And do you really think Donald Trump actually CARES about YOU?   Howard Stern knows him about as well as anyone in the media does...

“The oddity in all of this is the people Trump despises most, love him the most,” Stern said on his SiriusXM show, the New York Daily News reported. “The people who are voting for Trump for the most part … he wouldn’t even let them in a (expletive) hotel. He’d be disgusted by them. Go to Mar-a-Lago, see if there’s any people who look like you. I’m talking to you in the audience.”

https://www.mercurynews.com/2020/05/13/covid-19-finally-pushes-howard-stern-to-turn-on-friend-trump-and-his-maga-listeners/

Edited by caulfield12
  • Like 1

56 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Was it @bmags who had the last update on reinfections saying that the supposed recurring cases in Korea were due to virus fragments left over in the blood causing positive tests, and that you couldn't actually be infected twice? 

I don’t know that I said that but that article doesn’t dispute that anyway.

1 hour ago, Balta1701 said:

Hey @NorthSideSox72, remember when I said that the Wisconsin Supreme Court was obviously going to overturn the Governor's Stay at Home order because they're Republicans and you outlined all the legal details for why the governor had that authority, as though the Republicans on the Supreme Court cared about the Rule of Law? Some folks would like to laugh at you.

Death cult

Credit to the lone dissenting conservative Justice, though.

Edited by StrangeSox

1 hour ago, greg775 said:

You are absolutely ridiculous.