COVID-19/Coronavirus thread

caulfield12

14 minutes ago, bmags said:

Chicago has some different rules which are stricter and may override, but yes I think we are finally on our way.

Yeah, they may have a stricter layer they keep on top. I'm in the burbs fortunately, but I can fully understand why the city may want to keep certain restrictions tighter for now.

21 minutes ago, NorthSideSox72 said:

Yeah, they may have a stricter layer they keep on top. I'm in the burbs fortunately, but I can fully understand why the city may want to keep certain restrictions tighter for now.

Chicago's plan seems kind of like they are just going to make it up as they go along. 

• Haha 1

Fake News is not Essential!!!  Well, one thing’s for sure, the US is giving the Chinese state-sponsored media another weekend’s worth of propaganda...taking the focus off all the problems within China.   The protests with assault weapons out in public are particularly jaw-dropping, since only the police and military can legally have a gun here.

Edited by caulfield12
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Tony said:

I just can’t imagine parents teaching their kids to treat news reporters like this...it’s one thing to watch Fox News or now OAN and for kids to develop subconscious biases from their parents.   But, for example, all of these media assaults on Dr. Fauci for trying to protect and save as many American lives as possible?   Siding against science on a consistent basis?   The guy has served under three Republican presidents and two Democrats before Trump.   And the only ones to speak out on his behalf are Liz Cheney and Mitt Romney?

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/remdesivir-gilead-conspiracy/

13 hours ago, Jerksticks said:

Public Awareness: People are all wearing masks, making masks, social distancing, practicing way better hygiene, working from home etc.  Yes there are morons too, but generally, everyone is being super safe.

You’re in Texas somewhere too, right?  We are basically Sweden-lite, like it or not.  That’s the path Texas has chosen.  

Do you think we’ll see hospitals getting overrun?  It’s certainly possible, but it would come slower than NY right?

Seriously, come hang out in Texas. You know what? I know where the video is. This is before the opening of bars and gyms this coming Monday. We've nearly doubled cases over the last 2 weeks, and that's almost certainly reflecting what was happening in late April. This video is May 13. Does this count as "Super safe"? More stuff opens this week. We have already baked in the next 500+ cases per day. How high does it go? I'm not going to project...but...well...

My friend likes them sharing the Hookah, my favorite is that the only person with a mask walks by with the mask pulled down. What the lesson from NY has been is that once you have enough cases to become scared....the next doubling is already baked in. That's why this is so tricky. Mayor Di Blasio in NY recognized he had a huge problem on like March 23-24 when his entire public health staff threatened to resign if he didn't issue a lockdown order. 10 days later they had doubled in cases, and then it just didn't go down for 3 weeks. 

AUSTIN — The Texas Supreme Court late Friday overruled an appeals court’s order that had allowed election officials across the state to temporarily give mail ballots to people who are afraid of being infected with the coronavirus.

Attorney General Ken Paxton said the court accepted his argument that mail ballots should not be granted to voters who fear catching COVID-19, the disease caused by the virus. He said the Supreme Court’s order stops the distribution of mail ballots under those conditions until his appeal is heard.

“I am pleased that today the Texas Supreme Court confirmed that my office may continue to prosecute voter fraud and issue guidance on mail-in ballots" while an appeal plays out, Paxton said in a statement.

https://www.dallasnews.com/news/public-health/2020/05/15/texas-supreme-court-puts-mail-ballots-for-those-who-fear-covid-19-on-hold/

Kobach said there have been more than 1,000 convictions for voter fraud since 2000, and that the commission presented 8,400 instances of double voting in the 2016 election in 20 states.

“Had the commission done the same analysis of all 50 states, the number would have been exponentially higher,” Kobach said.

In response, Dunlap said those figures were never brought before the commission, and that Kobach hasn’t presented any evidence for his claims of double voting. He said the commission was presented with a report claiming over 1,000 convictions for various forms of voter misconduct since 1948.

https://www.pbs.org/newshour/politics/report-trump-commission-did-not-find-widespread-voter-fraud

So pretty much 29 cases on average nationally (0.58 per state) during the course of 35 national elections over the last 68 years.

Edited by caulfield12

10 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

I just can’t imagine parents teaching their kids to treat news reporters like this...it’s one thing to watch Fox News or now OAN and for kids to develop subconscious biases from their parents.   But, for example, all of these media assaults on Dr. Fauci for trying to protect and save as many American lives as possible?   Siding against science on a consistent basis?   The guy has served under three Republican presidents and two Democrats before Trump.   And the only ones to speak out on his behalf are Liz Cheney and Mitt Romney?

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/remdesivir-gilead-conspiracy/

All of this more than concerning. It's not like the 79-year old Fauci is attempting to further his career. He already has had a great career. He is a mild-mannered man trying to warn the public of real dangers. There is nothing wrong with challenging his opinions. Debate is healthy. Meanwhile things are getting worse. Instead of being in this together, we have to watch out for ourselves.  The noise level has to go down if we are going to turn things around.

8 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

I don't see any upward trend do you? 

full disclosure: Whiskey is involved in my current seeing.

CovidTexasMay.jpg

Unless they are doing something like mixing serological testing in with new tests, they had a nice amount of new testing put online. The % positive has stayed stable, which is only at 5%.

if that starts moving toward and above 10% that will be the bigger sign of things getting out of control.

8 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

Seriously, come hang out in Texas. You know what? I know where the video is. This is before the opening of bars and gyms this coming Monday. We've nearly doubled cases over the last 2 weeks, and that's almost certainly reflecting what was happening in late April. This video is May 13. Does this count as "Super safe"? More stuff opens this week. We have already baked in the next 500+ cases per day. How high does it go? I'm not going to project...but...well...

My friend likes them sharing the Hookah, my favorite is that the only person with a mask walks by with the mask pulled down. What the lesson from NY has been is that once you have enough cases to become scared....the next doubling is already baked in. That's why this is so tricky. Mayor Di Blasio in NY recognized he had a huge problem on like March 23-24 when his entire public health staff threatened to resign if he didn't issue a lockdown order. 10 days later they had doubled in cases, and then it just didn't go down for 3 weeks. 

At that point they also were only testing people that were symptomatic and not even all of them, just those seriously enough to be near hospitalization.

2 hours ago, Kyyle23 said:

Caulfield, this isn't the Buster.  Keep it on coronavirus 

AUSTIN — The Texas Supreme Court late Friday overruled an appeals court’s order that had allowed election officials across the state to temporarily give mail ballots to people who are afraid of being infected with the coronavirus.

Attorney General Ken Paxton said the court accepted his argument that mail ballots should not be granted to voters who fear catching COVID-19,

If we can avoid the subject of how to possibly discuss “fair and equitable” elections on November 3rd when we’re likely to be in the midst of our “darkest winter”....essentially when you have the combination of winter flu season and Covid Wave V. 3/4 hitting simultaneously, not to mention the 36 people who got sick in Wisconsin because they were forced to stand in lines together voting in a WI SC justice race, which is a fraction of the numbers for a presidential cycle.

We can pretend all the protests or anti-media marches are completely divorced from a political prism, but there’s just no evidence that bears that out.   I’m not even sure what the middle ground is right now.   Probably Ptac and Texsox...and if Dr. Fauci is now a “partisan,” the US is in bigger trouble than I imagined.

Edited by caulfield12
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Kyyle23 said:

Caulfield, this isn't the Buster.  Keep it on coronavirus 

Is this in regards to the post about voter fraud or about the video with the reporter being berated, because that video is related to coronavirus. Multiple opinions are out there about living during the virus and that is one train of thought. There will be a political twist with how each train of thought has opinions (see below) but I would argue it is still relevant to the discussion as long as it remains civil.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/scenes-from-the-class-struggle-in-lockdown-11589498276?fbclid=IwAR3z-6LjFOx18LsI1UD038pO-IPagFbgFVq8LwPdJw8v6bj81M3hbn503IQ

Just act like it never happened and it will go away. But hey, there will be a vaccine by the end of the year, if not, no biggie, it will go away without it. And testing is way overrated. Sometimes you test negative several times, and then you take a test a few days later and it positive. What’s up with that? 
This is what Trump is saying. It really is unbelievable, but more unbelievable is there are millions who actually buy what he is selling. 

9 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

Just act like it never happened and it will go away. But hey, there will be a vaccine by the end of the year, if not, no biggie, it will go away without it. And testing is way overrated. Sometimes you test negative several times, and then you take a test a few days later and it positive. What’s up with that? 
This is what Trump is saying. It really is unbelievable, but more unbelievable is there are millions who actually buy what he is selling. 

A neighbor was on a walk yesterday and I made a mistake in saying hello.

Guess to him that was an invitation to begin ranting about how, “this will just disappear”.

He was the type that has no ears so all you can do is just say a few times, “uh huh... have a nice walk.”

• Like 1

https://www.yahoo.com/news/almost-time-pandemic-apologies-110001172.html

Writer asks for apologies to be made to Gov. Brian Kemp and from Dr. Fauci, fails to understand that the comparison being made in article is actually to the country Georgia (just a handful of deaths) and not the southeastern state in the US.

That’s pretty pathetic for someone presumably being paid to write on this topic.

And then holding him (Fauci) accountable for the accuracy of the death count when response has been all over the place and the CV Task Force has been forced to use the IHME data all along (147,000+) is pretty rich.   What’s particularly pathetic is Dr. Birx going along with the administration and attempting to suppress the death count.   Scientists should stick to the science, and there should be one agreed-upon measure for accounting for Covid deaths that every single state in the country has to abide by.

Edited by caulfield12

2 hours ago, Dick Allen said:

I have come to the conclusion that people who refuse to wears masks don’t give a fuck about anyone but themselves.

I agree, but also they don't seem to even give a fuck about themselves. The fact that they don't want to do something that isn't even intrusive is beyond me. If things start opening more, I will still stay at home. I am not going near these people. If they want to die, that is up to them.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dick Allen said:

I have come to the conclusion that people who refuse to wears masks don’t give a fuck about anyone but themselves.

It would be fun to petition to open nuclear waste dumps next to these people and see how much they think of the freedom to do whatever they want even if it affects others. 

3 hours ago, Dick Allen said:

You are coming to the wrong conclusion IMO. My position will be forever ... if people are hoarding all the disposable masks and I can't get one, shame on them. I'm not selfish in not  wanting to wear a cloth mask that I had to order online (many people still don't go online and put their CC info on there) and doesn't fit right and is hard to tie. And falls off. Get me some boxes of 50 masks that are not price gouged and maybe we can talk. I'll tell you right now. Masks reek. I'll wear them where I'm told I have to wear them (planes, trains, barber shop, church).

Edited by greg775
  • Haha 3

5 hours ago, Dick Allen said:

You seem to be more against people who don't wear masks and Trump these days that the individual political hacks. People like me would be more apt to believe the state officials and more aboard wearing masks 24/7 and cooperating if the government officials cared one iota about small business owners I know who are starving their families because of no income. Our politicians here are confrontational. It makes people want to tell them to go bleep themselves. I've sent 5 emails so far voicing concerns to the dictators, no replys of course. As far as I'm concerned I'm voting against every single one of them next election. No leadership. Just bullying.

I'm just giving the point of view of a lot of people. I don't want anybody to get the virus and have obeyed all the orders of the Kansas dictator. And the Douglas County dictators on the board that have rejected even her mild, slow reopening plans. I finally had somebody on a zoom call tell me I need a haircut. Thanks guv.

Edited by greg775
  • Haha 2