COVID-19/Coronavirus thread

caulfield12

1 hour ago, hogan873 said:

I have my doubts that he's actually taking it.  If he is taking it, then chances are he has tested positive for COVID-19.

The fact that he is even saying that he is taking it is highly irresponsible. The drug has side affects and there is no indication that it cures or helps anything. Besides, if it was this simple, infected people would be taking it and wouldn't be dying by the tens of thousands. It is another example of Trump saying there is a simple solution when there isn't. Yes, there will be so much winning. It is absurd this man has an excellent chance to get re-elected. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, greg775 said:

China, pure and simple is our enemy. Wish we'd hear more anger toward China from our people, at least as much venom as Americans speak toward Trump. Our PC culture be damned; China is a huge enemy of the USA and a disgrace to the world considering their control of people who should be free and aren't. . Letting them have so much control over our pharmaceuticals is just sickening.

While they might be some of our enemy, they aren't exactly the enemy of the Head Appeaser.

https://www.opensecrets.org/news/2019/06/trump-foreign-business-interests/#China

14 hours ago, michelangelosmonkey said:

60 recorded cases out of 330,000,000 people at the end of February in US and zero deaths.   I suspect you are right...I suspect a lot of people in NYC, Seattle and California had it in December.  A monster came out of the mountains of China.  We had never seen this monster before.  Our Monster watch organization didn't see it coming and had no real plan in case we encountered a monster.  China sends the monster over to the US.  When the death rate from the monster stood at zero in the US...we should have had the country locked down. The president took some actions but fell short of screaming for everyone to hide in their basements.  Turns out the monster is pretty bad.  Monster kills a lot of people.  Moral of the story...President is a bad guy.     

At this point, there really is good DNA evidence that this is untrue. The strains that circulated in Wuhan did arrive in Seattle and California by January-February, but although they spread a little there weren't explosions. The infections in the US are dominated by one strain that entered through New York - after that same strain blew up in Italy. There's a trackable mutation in the spike proteins that is present in the NYC arrivals and absent from the California/Washington arrivals, and  right now the whole country is dominated by the Italian version. It's even more prevalent in California and Washington today than the original strains were. 

Something like 80% of the infections come from 20% of the infected individuals. If you only have a handful of people sick and they stay home, you don't have to have a whole office get sick, so it doesn't have to explode from a single case. Even if there were early arrivals in Washington and California, they didn't spread widely or trigger substantial numbers of cases. The New York cases were the ones that exploded and spread, and those cases were imported from Italy in February.

Whether that means the Italian strain is actually more contagious than the original Chinese strains - one paper has proposed that, but that is still being worked on.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, NWINFan said:

The fact that he is even saying that he is taking it is highly irresponsible. The drug has side affects and there is no indication that it cures or helps anything. Besides, if it was this simple, infected people would be taking it and wouldn't be dying by the tens of thousands. It is another example of Trump saying there is a simple solution when there isn't. Yes, there will be so much winning. It is absurd this man has an excellent chance to get re-elected. 

I have always said Donald is all about shortcuts. Every action such as campaigning.

• Like 2

Easily a new high in cases for my county today, the official daily count is now 4x what it was in late April, with new outbreaks at a Blue Bell ice cream plant and a nursing home. They're also not counting 60+ known cases from a meatpacking plant in that total.

Does this bother any of you? I'm telling you. There's always something with these government officials. ... I see our dictatorial governor is moving from phase 1.5 to phase 2 in advance of her meeting with Trump. Coincidence she loosens a couple restrictions to show Donald she's reasonable in all of this?

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/illinois-governors-family-firm-owns-stake-in-companies-conducting-coronavirus-testing?fbclid=IwAR3sNN4vvPoV93rlNrArGEU01BEaRSSIuUzCvx7IOB26Q0i3sTlFSYv7UOw

Edited by greg775

15 minutes ago, greg775 said:

Does this bother any of you? I'm telling you. There's always something with these government officials. ... I see our dictatorial governor is moving from phase 1.5 to phase 2 in advance of her meeting with Trump. Coincidence she loosens a couple restrictions to show Donald she's reasonable in all of this?

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/illinois-governors-family-firm-owns-stake-in-companies-conducting-coronavirus-testing?fbclid=IwAR3sNN4vvPoV93rlNrArGEU01BEaRSSIuUzCvx7IOB26Q0i3sTlFSYv7UOw

Real dictators are never reasonable.

Neither is climate change/Mother Nature...see central Michigan flooding.   Good luck social distancing in shelters.

Edited by caulfield12

37 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Real dictators are never reasonable.

Neither is climate change/Mother Nature...see central Michigan flooding.   Good luck social distancing in shelters.

Disaster preparedness scientists will tell you that in this situation, you deal with the life and property threatening situation first as that's the priority. Same thing with hurricanes upcoming, wildfires, whatever else hits this year. 

It's one of the reasons why we need stronger downward trends on case numbers before things open up, because those events will happen and will scramble people. 

Plus, you absolutely need consistent messaging at a government level to manage those sort of overlapping crises. 

So, it's starting to come to light that both Georgia and Texas are including both COVID tests AND antibody tests in their totals (the denominator), but only counting positive test results from the COVID tests as the numerator. So, their positive test rates look lower than they really are. Texas, meanwhile, is seeing spikes even WITH the mathematical "help".

19 minutes ago, NorthSideSox72 said:

So, it's starting to come to light that both Georgia and Texas are including both COVID tests AND antibody tests in their totals (the denominator), but only counting positive test results from the COVID tests as the numerator. So, their positive test rates look lower than they really are. Texas, meanwhile, is seeing spikes even WITH the mathematical "help".

And eventually they will just stop counting.  This is all a part of the master plan.