COVID-19/Coronavirus thread

caulfield12

5 hours ago, greg775 said:

From what I read, today sounded like a bad day regarding the virus. And it's not even virus season. Scary what could take place this winter.

Civil War.

Plagues of locusts.

All of The Purge movies...combined.

Worse than the Left Behind series.

Worse than Bleeding Kansas.

More dictatorial/tyrannical than Hitler, Mussolini, Stalin, Franco, Mao and Pol Pot.

Worse than Ditka vs. a hurricane.

Worse than MJ vs. The Bad Boys combining forces with Horace Grant and Will Perdue.

Worse than Phil vs. Jerry Krause.

Worse than Dolan vs. NYC.

Bird Box mixed with Tiger King, narrated by a hallucinogenic-inflamed Henry Rollins.

100x worse than Marshawn Lynch’s acting in Westworld S3.

Edited by caulfield12

Outside of a few countries, it looks like the worldwide plan to let everyone contract the virus but slower is still right on schedule since the start.  Still have people arguing about all kinds of different trees while the forest is right there staring them in the face. 

2 minutes ago, Jerksticks said:

Outside of a few countries, it looks like the worldwide plan to let everyone contract the virus but slower is still right on schedule since the start.  Still have people arguing about all kinds of different trees while the forest is right there staring them in the face. 

It's like you keep saying this, everyone keeps proving you wrong, and you just keep saying it.  Wait no that's actually happening

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kyyle23 said:

It's like you keep saying this, everyone keeps proving you wrong, and you just keep saying it.  Wait no that's actually happening

Well, what’s wrong with 1,235,520 deaths AND counting?    It’s only 13x worse than our current level.   Barely twice as much as the Civil War...and it’s only 0.003766 of the US population, that’s not even 1/2 of 1%!!!

That's where we would currently be following Plan Sweden.   And it still gives Trump wiggle room to claim that UK “experts” (Niall Ferguson at Imperial College) originally predicted 2.2-2.4 million deaths with no social distancing.   He’s saving 1+ million lives.   Amazing!   Nobel Prize worthy, if the MSM didn’t hate America and want to stay locked down forever to deny Trump re-election.

Oregon GOP nominee Jo Rae Perkins speaks about 'Q' like he or she is a real person. 

'Q is most likely military intelligence and they've been out there watching what's been going on with our country for decades and they are partnered with President Trump to stop the corruption and to save our republic.' 

Edited by caulfield12

13 hours ago, StrangeSox said:

Hope these changes are based on medical expertise and not economic or political pressure

Oh I am 100% sure it is both. Illinois, so far, has shown that we can keep the curve bent down far enough to give us some nice headroom underneath the capacity lines of the health care system. Which is the whole idea. So I am sure that JB was likely looking for ways to ease more things for a restless public, and asked his experts what the least harmful ways to do that might be. Or something like that.

10 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

From what we know now, I'd be particularly worried about the Indoor Tennis. Just-published paper, 50 minute dance session twice a week, basically everyone in the session wound up infected.

https://wwwnc.cdc.gov/eid/article/26/8/20-0633_article

I was thinking that about indoor tennis too. I've seen a few articles recently about how high-intensity exercise makes someone a particularly profound spreader. But it then occurred to me, this is why we see tennis on the list (along with the already-existing outdoor activities with spacing), but not most other gym or indoor facility sports. Think about the inside of a tennis club. These are huge, cavernous spaces, with players very far apart. Compared to most other indoor sports it is much lower risk, I would think.

2 hours ago, Kyyle23 said:

The plan isn’t to let everyone eventually get the virus?  Sure seems that way.  🤔

1 minute ago, Jerksticks said:

The plan isn’t to let everyone eventually get the virus?  Sure seems that way.  🤔

Yes, we know you feel that way.  Everyone has it.  You keep saying it

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

Yes, we know you feel that way.  Everyone has it.  You keep saying it

While true, I DO think waaaay more people have it than reported by many magnitudes, let’s not move the goal posts.  

I’m saying the plan around the world seems to be “let everyone get the virus”. Outside of a few countries, this seems to be the case, no?  

16 hours ago, StrangeSox said:

Never could have seen this coming

But then there is this too...

https://news.yahoo.com/as-more-states-reopen-georgia-defies-predictions-of-coronavirus-resurgence-whats-the-lesson-for-the-rest-of-the-country-164734815.html

Which certainly seems to be good news.  Maybe if people continue being cautious and smart, some things can start to open up a bit.  Especially with some warmer weather coming.  

Edited by turnin' two

34 minutes ago, Jerksticks said:

While true, I DO think waaaay more people have it than reported by many magnitudes, let’s not move the goal posts.  

I’m saying the plan around the world seems to be “let everyone get the virus”. Outside of a few countries, this seems to be the case, no?  

Even some of the deeper dives into broad surveys have ended up with pretty low numbers IU just did a very random survey and came up with a 2.8% infection rate in Indiana total.  We need to get to about 70% to have a decent herd immunity.

https://news.iu.edu/stories/2020/05/iupui/releases/13-preliminary-findings-impact-covid-19-indiana-coronavirus.html

34 minutes ago, Jerksticks said:

No.  Pretty sure it is not the case given the stay at home orders and quarantines around the world

7 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Even some of the deeper dives into broad surveys have ended up with pretty low numbers IU just did a very random survey and came up with a 2.8% infection rate in Indiana total.  We need to get to about 70% to have a decent herd immunity.

https://news.iu.edu/stories/2020/05/iupui/releases/13-preliminary-findings-impact-covid-19-indiana-coronavirus.html

France and Spain did large studies as well and both came up with 5%. These are two of the hardest hit countries.

16 minutes ago, StrangeSox said:

France and Spain did large studies as well and both came up with 5%. These are two of the hardest hit countries.

And I am sure Washington/NY/Cali would also come in on the higher side, but I think that nation wide, we are probably 3-5% tops.

Nobody really knows what the hell is going on in GA.   Or TX, VT and VA.

At least four states combined data from two different test results,potentially providing a misleading picture of when and where coronavirus spread as the nation eases restrictions.

Virginia, Texas, Georgia, and Vermont have said they've been adding two numbers to their totals: viral test results and antibody test results.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/05/21/health/us-coronavirus-thursday/index.html

After facing weeks of criticism for not being transparent with data about the coronavirus, state officials on Wednesday acknowledged that a test type that does not measure active cases inflated published test counts by 57,000, or roughly 14% of total tests to date.

“Either they don’t know what they’re doing, or (the data is) being manipulated in ways it shouldn’t,” said Dr. Harry J. Heiman, a clinical associate professor at the Georgia State University School of Public Health. “Either way it is very concerning.” 

In April, Gov. Brian Kemp called the state’s poor national ranking in its share of residents tested for the virus “unacceptable,” and challenged public health officials and private companies ramp up the state’s testing capacity. Earlier this week, he publicly touted the state’s rise to 20th in the nation as an important step forward.

Removing antibody tests from the state’s testing total, however, now drops Georgia’s per capita ranking to 29th, according to the AJC’s analysis of national testing data.

https://www.ajc.com/news/state--regional-govt--politics/latest-data-lapse-inflated-georgia-virus-test-count-000/2RG89mkuryApRMdQzblMgP/

Edited by caulfield12

We had a meeting yesterday for one of the shows I'm in. Basically it is a national chain of company owned shows and franchisees that take place in hotels, restaurants, etc. and it includes dinner and a meal. We are trying to figure out how to reopen in as safe a manner as possible. A couple of things I took away from the meeting.

National organizations have an impossibly difficult task of meeting the requirements in all localities with one plan. We're going with limited seating, smaller casts, made changes to the script to avoid guests interacting with each other, menu changes, procedure changes that in some cases are actual improvements and will remain and in other cases temporary. One thing we were not able to get rid of was cash tips. There are some locations where it is illegal to use Venmo, Cash, etc for tips. At least that is what the company is telling us. 

Out tentative restart dates are in July but every date had an implied asterisk next to it. They sincerely repeated that if you don't feel safe, don't work. But we also know that cast spots are tough to earn and tougher to get back. Who wants to give up a spot and have to fight to get it back?    

3 hours ago, turnin' two said:

But then there is this too...

https://news.yahoo.com/as-more-states-reopen-georgia-defies-predictions-of-coronavirus-resurgence-whats-the-lesson-for-the-rest-of-the-country-164734815.html

Which certainly seems to be good news.  Maybe if people continue being cautious and smart, some things can start to open up a bit.  Especially with some warmer weather coming.  

After Georgia fixed some of their data due to the "mistake" from a few days ago, making the cases more like flat than going down, it has also come out that Georgia is one of the handful of states that are pulling a trick where the denominator (number of tests) includes COVID tests AND antibody tests, while the numerator includes ONLY the positive results from the COVID tests. Thus making it seem better than it is. Texas and Pennsylvania are also doing this. Virginia and Vermont were doing it, but found the issue and fixed it.

ETA: If you look at the curve for Georgia, looking at the time it took to bend their curve after the lockdown, and add that time to when Georgia did their broad opening up... I'd say we will know a lot more about Georgia's fate in about 2 weeks. Right around the end of this month.

At first, I was almost like Greg with the lack of haircut. But the more I thought about it, I'm kind of digging it now. It reminds me of when I was in high school, and the only time I would get a haircut is when my dad couldn't take it anymore and forced me to go. It got pretty wild at times.

• Thanks 2

Has anyone done a study on effects of Covid infection on people who don't need to be hospitalized? 

I'm wondering if some of the same long-term effects are happening to people who don't even get very sick as those who are hospitalized, on oxygen but never get sick enough to have to be ventilated. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

4 hours ago, StrangeSox said:

40 million people?? Just printing the checks and mailing them out to recipients of unemployment will cost millions of dollars. My gosh our economy is doomed. So pretty soon we'll be at 50 percent unemployment? Half of our great nation will be idled? God help us all.

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

At first, I was almost like Greg with the lack of haircut. But the more I thought about it, I'm kind of digging it now. It reminds me of when I was in high school, and the only time I would get a haircut is when my dad couldn't take it anymore and forced me to go. It got pretty wild at times.

It definitely brought back memories of high school. I will confess that after I got it soaked and combed it back and saw all that hair, especially flowing by the collar I thought I might be able to pull off a Richard Lewis look. Another 4 weeks would have been interesting to see which rock star I looked like. But the hair length gave me a headache and bothered me even though the length of it was intriguing me.

But alas today I got it cut ... legally. And me, the barber and the receptionist were the only three in the shop. he is the owner and said for some reason everybody else will come in next week for work. Maybe he wanted to take care of his massive list of clients 7 a.m. til 5 p.m. to get some out of the way. He said they will all come in in different shifts to obey all rules.

Greg has obeyed all rules in Kansas since our March 16 shutdown. I should have gotten a haircut the Friday before the Monday shutdown as I could have. Instead I went from Feb. 20 til May 21 without a haircut which is 12 weeks. I normally would have 3 haircuts in that span, so I have learned that I should go six weeks without a haircut instead of four.

Edited by greg775