COVID-19/Coronavirus thread

caulfield12

16 minutes ago, greg775 said:

40 million people?? Just printing the checks and mailing them out to recipients of unemployment will cost millions of dollars. My gosh our economy is doomed. So pretty soon we'll be at 50 percent unemployment? Half of our great nation will be idled? God help us all.

trillions but we're the world reserve currency and borrowing's free right now so print those checks

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Iwritecode said:

Holy shit he can't even admit that he did something that came out "negative" even when that means good.

He had the best, most perfect and beautiful negative test that doctors have ever seen.

Doctors have never seen a test so negative.  They kept asking him how he knew so much about negative tests.  Scientists from all over the globe may study him to see how his result could be so negative.

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, hogan873 said:

Doctors have never seen a test so negative.  They kept asking him how he knew so much about negative tests.  Scientists from all over the globe may study him to see how his result could be so negative.

It is amazing how many buy his shtick. 

Edited by Dick Allen
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Jack Parkman said:

Has anyone done a study on effects of Covid infection on people who don't need to be hospitalized? 

I'm wondering if some of the same long-term effects are happening to people who don't even get very sick as those who are hospitalized, on oxygen but never get sick enough to have to be ventilated. 

There is some anecdotal stuff, but there hasn't been any time for a study of anything yet, let alone a long term study.  Remember the first known cases of this are about 6 months old.  It will be years before we REALLY know what hit us.

5 hours ago, NorthSideSox72 said:

I was thinking that about indoor tennis too. I've seen a few articles recently about how high-intensity exercise makes someone a particularly profound spreader. But it then occurred to me, this is why we see tennis on the list (along with the already-existing outdoor activities with spacing), but not most other gym or indoor facility sports. Think about the inside of a tennis club. These are huge, cavernous spaces, with players very far apart. Compared to most other indoor sports it is much lower risk, I would think.

Yeah, the spaces are big, but at the same time I think about people in a big room where they're doing cardio or dance or whatever else was sampled in that study. Those aren't small rooms, maybe not the size of a tennis court...but one person came into the room and literally everyone in the room was infected. That means in 30-60 minutes, even in a big room, they're getting an enormous dose of the stuff spread around.  Yeah, a bigger tennis court and both people wearing masks maybe you drop the chance from 100% to something lower, but that's one I wouldn't do. There's no athletic activity indoors I can think of that is safe unless everyone in the building has done a 14 day quarantine.

This is one of the cases where I feel like people are using the 6 foot distance as a crutch, to justify things that really aren't all that safe in the details. 

25 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

There is some anecdotal stuff, but there hasn't been any time for a study of anything yet, let alone a long term study.  Remember the first known cases of this are about 6 months old.  It will be years before we REALLY know what hit us.

You could say that about everything at this point. I don't think that we can say we know anything about covid as a fact other than things that can be established so quickly. It took nearly a decade for them to establish complete info on HIV. They started to take it seriously in 1985 and they really didn't know anything beyond anecdotes until the early 90s. 

I'm only comparing HIV and Covid in their early stages of knowledge, because they're completely different viruses in both how they spread and lethality. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

18 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

You could say that about everything at this point. I don't think that we can say we know anything about covid as a fact other than things that can be established so quickly. It took nearly a decade for them to establish complete info on HIV. They started to take it seriously in 1985 and they really didn't know anything beyond anecdotes until the early 90s. 

I'm only comparing HIV and Covid in their early stages of knowledge, because they're completely different viruses in both how they spread and lethality. 

Sure, but that is the whole point.  We think we might see some things or patterns, but when you say long term effects, there is no way of knowing since the oldest cases are 6 months old.

5 minutes ago, bmags said:

What a day!

29300 tests

2268 positive cases

7.7% positive rate, a new low.

100 fewer people on ventilators than last week, hospitalization declining.

Another encouraging note, just in my small sample size, I take a walk around the neighborhood for lunch, and the amount of mask wearers is growing substantially. Today, I only saw 1 person without a mask, and he was a guy that had to be at least 85, with a cane, walking a dog. Everyone else, covered. I was very happy.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

Would people be wearing gloves while playing tennis? Every player touches the ball, the virus could be on the ground where it could get on the ball. You are sweating,s oo probably touching your face. 

These things are all very unlikely. Worst issue is the group getting together to talk at midcourt.

Surface transmission continues to see very low reports, I think outdoor tennis is good. As caulfield said, main concern is air conditioning flow indoors. They are certainly way more spread out than an indoor exercise class, with max of 4 players over a huge space. But the heavy breathing is a concern. We will see but I'd tend to believe it's not that terrible to reopen.

51 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Sure, but that is the whole point.  We think we might see some things or patterns, but when you say long term effects, there is no way of knowing since the oldest cases are 6 months old.

That's not what I meant. I meant are people that don't get very sick having lung damage, other organ damage like people who do get very sick? Has anyone looked into this? 

Latest study suggests CBD concentrate may block CV proteins from reaching Ace2 receptor sites with significant risk reduction. Of course there are hundreds of ongoing projects but this one would be easy to adopt. The study includes hemp extracts. 

2 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

Yeah, the spaces are big, but at the same time I think about people in a big room where they're doing cardio or dance or whatever else was sampled in that study. Those aren't small rooms, maybe not the size of a tennis court...but one person came into the room and literally everyone in the room was infected. That means in 30-60 minutes, even in a big room, they're getting an enormous dose of the stuff spread around.  Yeah, a bigger tennis court and both people wearing masks maybe you drop the chance from 100% to something lower, but that's one I wouldn't do. There's no athletic activity indoors I can think of that is safe unless everyone in the building has done a 14 day quarantine.

This is one of the cases where I feel like people are using the 6 foot distance as a crutch, to justify things that really aren't all that safe in the details. 

2 hours ago, Dick Allen said:

Would people be wearing gloves while playing tennis? Every player touches the ball, the virus could be on the ground where it could get on the ball. You are sweating,s oo probably touching your face. 

There won't be masks for tennis, that just won't work. Masks to get to the open court, then they would come off. Gloves are a good point, because of the ball, yeah. That can work and I probably will do that. And yes, no touching faces!

27 minutes ago, pcq said:

Latest study suggests CBD concentrate may block CV proteins from reaching Ace2 receptor sites with significant risk reduction. Of course there are hundreds of ongoing projects but this one would be easy to adopt. The study includes hemp extracts. 

Haircuts are taboo.

People are working from home.

And now marijuana may save us all.

The hippies moment is now.

• Like 1

Wow go read Doc Graham's Instagram post ... can't copy it here, wouldn't let me copy, paste. ...

So turns out masks are controversial. He calls them "absurd ... they encourage the fornite transmission ("infected articles") to hand to face transmission of the virus. So go ahead and allow idiots to delude and mislead you to the false sense of security - and danger - of masks." 

You can find Graham's full quote on Twitter if you don't want to Instagram.

Personally I'm glad to see masks losing momentum. It's common sense that you are going to touch your face more with a damn mask on and the mask is going to be moist from your mouth and that is NOT GOOD!! It's very simplistic to say a shield, a mask will keep covid out. Doesn't appear to be that way.

https://www.theblaze.com/news/former-neurosurgeon-masks-ineffective

Also another thing I read: 

“It seems kind of intuitively obvious that if you put something—whether it’s a scarf or a mask—in front of your nose and mouth, that will filter out some of these viruses that are floating around out there,” says Dr. William Schaffner, professor of medicine in the division of infectious diseases at Vanderbilt University. The only problem: that’s not likely to be effective against respiratory illnesses like the flu and COVID-19. If it were, “the CDC would have recommended it years ago,” he says. “It doesn’t, because it makes science-based recommendations.”

The science, according to the CDC, says that surgical masks won’t stop the wearer from inhaling small airborne particles, which can cause infection. Nor do these masks form a snug seal around the face. The CDC recommends surgical masks only for people who already show symptoms of coronavirus and must go outside, since wearing a mask can help prevent spreading the virus by protecting others nearby when you cough or sneeze. The agency also recommends these masks for caregivers of people infected with the virus.

Just trying to say there is controversy over masks and I do not like them. Common sense is my mask is full of moistness, wet crap from the mouth after even 15 minutes and I'm adjusting it and touching my face way more with a mask on than off. Before the mask mania hit, I NEVER touched my face once during Corona crisis, now I touch it all the time.

Edited by greg775
  • Haha 1

39 minutes ago, greg775 said:

Hmmm what do you think of this story. Corona is not being spread from being on surfaces

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/health/2020/05/21/coronavirus-news-what-cdc-saying-covid-19-surfaces/5235317002/

The CDC is out to get revenge on Trump.  Deep state!   Fake news!    Or the CDC has been sidelined for so long that nobody’s going to actually pay attention (Dr. Laura Mesonnier spooked the markets speaking out of turn and then the “everyone who wants a test can get one” fiasco in Atlanta) so Trump now won’t give then credit for anything, even if it leads to more confidence in reopening...because, politics.  Yet he won’t fire Drs. Redfield and Azar because that would make him look even more incompetent.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, greg775 said:

Wow go read Doc Graham's Instagram post ... can't copy it here, wouldn't let me copy, paste. ...

So turns out masks are controversial. He calls them "absurd ... they encourage the fornite transmission ("infected articles") to hand to face transmission of the virus. So go ahead and allow idiots to delude and mislead you to the false sense of security - and danger - of masks." 

Personally I'm glad to see masks losing momentum. It's common sense that you are going to touch your face more with a damn mask on and the mask is going to be moist from your mouth and that is NOT GOOD!! It's very simplistic to say a shield, a mask will keep covid out. Doesn't appear to be that way.

“It seems kind of intuitively obvious that if you put something—whether it’s a scarf or a mask—in front of your nose and mouth, that will filter out some of these viruses that are floating around out there,” says Dr. William Schaffner, professor of medicine in the division of infectious diseases at Vanderbilt University. The only problem: that’s not likely to be effective against respiratory illnesses like the flu and COVID-19. If it were, “the CDC would have recommended it years ago,” he says. “It doesn’t, because it makes science-based recommendations.”

The science, according to the CDC, says that surgical masks won’t stop the wearer from inhaling small airborne particles, which can cause infection. Nor do these masks form a snug seal around the face. The CDC recommends surgical masks only for people who already show symptoms of coronavirus and must go outside, since wearing a mask can help prevent spreading the virus by protecting others nearby when you cough or sneeze. The agency also recommends these masks for caregivers of people infected with the virus.

Just trying to say there is controversy over masks and I do not like them. Common sense is my mask is full of moistness, wet crap from the mouth after even 15 minutes and I'm adjusting it and touching my face way more with a mask on than off. Before the mask mania hit, I NEVER touched my face once during Corona crisis, now I touch it all the time.

LITERALLY NO ONE IS SAYING WEARING A MASK KEEPS YOU FROM CATCHING IT.

EVERYONE IS SAYING WEARING A MASK CUTS DOWN ON THE AMOUNT OF IT YOU BREATHE OUT AFTER YOU'RE SICK.

IT DOESN'T HELP YOU, IT HELPS EVERYONE ELSE. 

• Like 4

23 minutes ago, greg775 said:

Doc “Moonlight” Graham is dead!

He went to be with his Alecia in 1965, and nobody’s going to tell me different.

https://twitter.com/Shawington/status/1263277013344964608?s=20

And this guy who “invented” e-mail asserts masks don’t work...because he went to MIT, has a PhD and is running for office, he must be right

Edited by caulfield12

32 minutes ago, NorthSideSox72 said:

There won't be masks for tennis, that just won't work. Masks to get to the open court, then they would come off. Gloves are a good point, because of the ball, yeah. That can work and I probably will do that. And yes, no touching faces!

If you can't have people masked, then yeah, indoor tennis would be very likely to transmit, regardless of the distance. If 100 people in a fitness studio can get it from 1 person, then it's going to get from one partner to the other during an hour of high effort exercise. 

45 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

If you can't have people masked, then yeah, indoor tennis would be very likely to transmit, regardless of the distance. If 100 people in a fitness studio can get it from 1 person, then it's going to get from one partner to the other during an hour of high effort exercise. 

Breaking:  Montgomery, Alabama...shocking...starting to run out of ICU beds today/tonight.

How the hell does one play tennis with gloves on during the summer...with those copper compression ones they’re constantly hawking on MSNBC?    Either you’re going to lose grip on the racquet and it will fly out of your hands (cloth ones), or you’re going to accidentally wipe the sweat away from your eyes after absorbing it into the leather (plus constantly touching the ball).   Every player has one ball that only they serve with?  How practical is that?   Otherwise, you’re going to be like Willie McGee and wiping your face with your sleeves constantly...

Try batting gloves?

Well, I guess still better than racquetball, handball or wall ball...

Edited by caulfield12

55 minutes ago, greg775 said:

Trolling, trollin, trollin, keep those gregs trollin, TROLLHIDE.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2