COVID-19/Coronavirus thread

caulfield12

13 minutes ago, soxfan49 said:

The ultimate contrarion, like I said a page or two back. If this thread was posters primarily saying "Fauci is an idiot, Trump is great, masks are stupid and every store/restaurant/church/beach should be reopened asap," Greg would be saying the opposite. He does this for attention. He enjoys the arguing. He waits to see what majority opinion transpires and takes the other side. He's a baffoon. 

Next.

PM me if you have specific questions that I haven't addressed on here. I think I address a lot of questions.

Bottom line: I am a huge huge Sox fan who is passionate about "some" world and U.S. issues. That is all. If I'm wrong I'm wrong, but when I discuss things with people in person I don't get the huge disgust I get from some on here. I also try to be polite. Note I haven't mentioned hair or any personal annoyances since I got my hair cut. Issue SOLVED finally by the government opening up.

Edited by greg775
  • Haha 2

29 minutes ago, greg775 said:

PM me if you have specific questions that I haven't addressed on here. I think I address a lot of questions.

Bottom line: I am a huge huge Sox fan who is passionate about "some" world and U.S. issues. That is all. If I'm wrong I'm wrong, but when I discuss things with people in person I don't get the huge disgust I get from some on here. I also try to be polite. Note I haven't mentioned hair or any personal annoyances since I got my hair cut. Issue SOLVED finally by the government opening up.

You’re always super calm and polite man.  It’s admirable.  You’d actually be good in any leadership position.  Yelling, screaming, shaming, ridiculing - that’s children and the weak. 

• Haha 3

5 minutes ago, Jerksticks said:

You’re always super calm and polite man.  It’s admirable.  You’d actually be good in any leadership position.  Yelling, screaming, shaming, ridiculing - that’s children and the weak. 

Thank you, sir. I wish we could return to sports and "play ball." Or "drop the puck." Politics and corona are important but we need sports.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, soxfan49 said:

The ultimate contrarion, like I said a page or two back. If this thread was posters primarily saying "Fauci is an idiot, Trump is great, masks are stupid and every store/restaurant/church/beach should be reopened asap," Greg would be saying the opposite. He does this for attention. He enjoys the arguing. He waits to see what majority opinion transpires and takes the other side. He's a baffoon. 

Next.

Right now he has responded saying I don’t like people with differing opinions, which is wrong. I’m a moderate who likes hearing both sides, but I don’t like seeing the same shit over again that has been discussed. Now he’s bringing up whataboutism on Trump even though the president is mentioned at different angles and not the same points over and over again with the VP nominee. He seems to have an issue with masks and wants to open the economy with no restrictions tomorrow. And he appears to have points about several of us collectively.

Let’s see what he has that is new to say and if he continues attention seeking. I can listen to opposing viewpoints and debate issues, but not restated points. Otherwise, next.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, The Beast said:

Right now he has responded saying I don’t like people with differing opinions, which is wrong. I’m a moderate who likes hearing both sides, but I don’t like seeing the same shit over again that has been discussed. Now he’s bringing up whataboutism on Trump even though the president is mentioned at different angles and not the same points over and over again with the VP nominee. He seems to have an issue with masks and wants to open the economy with no restrictions tomorrow. And he appears to have points about several of us collectively.

Let’s see what he has that is new to say and if he continues attention seeking. I can listen to opposing viewpoints and debate issues, but not restated points. Otherwise, next.

As far as bringing up the same stuff, that confuses me. Most of my posts are responding to current news reports and how mad I am as a result of whatever was said on them.

Right now, the surveillance state model (China/Singapore) is winning this argument...along with Germany, South Korea, Hong Kong, Taiwan, Australia and NZ.

Definitely not Sweden.  

Arguably three of the most fractured/politicized democracies...the US, UK and Brazil, are now facing the worst situations overall.

Italy, Spain and France were already struggling economically...this just exacerbated the divisions between northern and southern Europe.  The argument will continue to be that the best route to recovery for those three, along with Greece and Portugal, is decoupling from the Euro in order to increase the competitiveness of exports as well as tourism.   Thus leading to even more instability around the globe as countries are forced to look inward for growth/investment/development.

33 minutes ago, Tony said:

And yet...here we are back to the greg show. 

You’re all idiots. 

https://www.factcheck.org/2020/05/outdated-fauci-video-on-face-masks-shared-out-of-context/
The biggest problem here is the loss of objectivity...unwillingness to delve into a story or lack of openness to the truth.

While it’s certainly possible to take a series of statements from Dr. Fauci back in February, March or even early April and create a compelling narrative without any context (that he had to be more measured, we didn’t have all the evidence from South Korea, China was withholding key information) that he was proven wrong in some way...well, there are drastically different degrees of wrongness here.

There’s simply no equivalency between Trump and Dr. Fauci, not if you’re a scientifically-thinking person who values empirical evidence over speculation and conjecture.   Yet if you see the world in the same way Trump does, filled with grievances, affronts and deep state conspiracies, it’s relatively easy to construct an alternate reality where the main reason Democratic governors are in favor of extended lockdowns and “tyrannical” treatments like masks and social distancing is stopping Trump from winning election.

What’s even scarier is the upcoming vaccine/anti-vaxxer arguments...especially if a cure comes from China.  Trump would certainly reject it as a trick/hoax (plus all the lost American pharmaceutical profits!), but just imagine the pressure a President Biden will be under with Trump questioning his every move on Twitter and just daring the administration to force/compel every American to get a dosage of that potential “foreign” vaccine.

Edited by caulfield12

If you watch the entire Faici video, his answer is more nuanced. Fauci is saying using masks is ineffective if not used properly. That’s why he points out non-medical people adjusting them (which potentially contaminates the mask). If you wear a mask but go about your day with a false sense of security and don’t change your habits (hand washing, touching your face, social distancing), you are likely not as safe as you may think. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, caulfield12 said:

https://www.yahoo.com/news/footage-packed-pool-party-houston-151247419.html
Balta?

Guess it’s coming as no surprise that Houston and Dallas are tracking to be disaster zones by July...also, not sure what that means for baseball in Texas this summer, originally it was going to be a “safe haven” between Florida and Arizona.

Are the new projections terrible for Texas this summer? Haven't read that yet albeit I've not read everything. Scary if COVID isn't abating during the summer months cause my greg "eyetest" and my past history tells me a whole lotta people get viruses during the winter. OMGosh a whole lot. No matter WHAT I do, I get three horrific cough/colds each winter. And plane travel?? Immediate germs/colds/coughs. God help us all if COVID is disastrous this summer cause we know what's coming.

• Haha 3

9 hours ago, greg775 said:

So more fake news. Why bother to watch anything? Watch the video and Fauci is forcefully saying masks are not needed. Now he's saying they are needed? I give up.

It's amazing how some people can change their minds when presented with new information. You should try it sometime. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Iwritecode said:

It's amazing how some people can change their minds when presented with new information. You should try it sometime. 

I should take a vote and see if a majority of people want me to resist commenting on politics and COVID-19 corona or continue commenting. I do not wish to ruin days of people by my posts, but I do rather enjoy posting my feelings as it helps me get my anger off my chest during lockdown.

• Haha 3

31 minutes ago, greg775 said:

I should take a vote and see if a majority of people want me to resist commenting on politics and COVID-19 corona or continue commenting. I do not wish to ruin days of people by my posts, but I do rather enjoy posting my feelings as it helps me get my anger off my chest during lockdown.

Soxtalk  1

Lawrence, KS Psychotherapists   0

https://www.cnn.com/2020/05/24/opinions/trump-memorial-day-golf-us-deaths-coronavirus-dantonio/index.html

Edited by caulfield12

34 minutes ago, greg775 said:

Your troll act is comical.  Baseball, politics, religion...it doesnt matter.  Its the same. 

1.)  Greg Hottakes -  You read something, post it and ask question in the same tense if you were a 90 year old who never witnessed the industrial revolution.  Then dig deeper with your logic, which is neither logic or insightful.   I am conservative and typically vote republican.  But for the love of god I dont start any debate with "I heard this from Rush Limbaugh.  Or Trump tweeted this."  If you cant separate being conservative with listening to the Orange Man and agreeing with everything he says then I dont know how you can be salvaged.   

2.) Greg Remote-Google     You ask others to lookup and provide facts that you yourself could easily put in a search engine and get the facts for.  

3.) Mount Greenwood nostalgia -  You flashback to your younger years at Brother Rice and playing stickball in the park.  Has the neighborhood changed.  Is Brother Rice still good at football.   Is Suzy still mad at you.  This can be solved by Googling, see #2.)

4.) You live in Kansas.  No one outside of you gives a flying fuck what the residents of your backwater little town consider current events.  No one cares about Kansas.  I have relatives that live in Kansas.  I dont call them and ask them their views of world affairs.  Every person on this forum lives somewhere.  We dont qualify everything with,  Well the people of Downers Grove, Lisle, Oak Park, Orland Park, etc are asking .....X.   My town is full of shit, just like the next one.  Just like yours.  Stop by qualifying that you live in Kansas.  Everyone here knows you live there.  No one cares about your zipcode.  

Edited by southsideirish71
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 4
  • Love 3

6 minutes ago, southsideirish71 said:

Your troll act is comical.  Baseball, politics, religion...it doesnt matter.  Its the same. 

1.)  Greg Hottakes -  You read something, post it and ask question in the same tense if you were a 90 year old who never witnessed the industrial revolution.  Then dig deeper with your logic, which is neither logic or insightful.   I am conservative and typically vote republican.  But for the love of god I dont start any debate with "I heard this from Rush Limbaugh.  Or Trump tweeted this."  If you cant separate being conservative with listening to the Orange Man and agreeing with everything he says then I dont know how you can be salvaged.   

2.) Greg Remote-Google     You ask others to lookup and provide facts that you yourself could easily put in a search engine and get the facts for.  

3.) Mount Greenwood nostalgia -  You flashback to your younger years at Brother Rice and playing stickball in the park.  Has the neighborhood changed.  Is Brother Rice still good at football.   Is Suzy still mad at you.  This can be solved by Googling, see #2.)

4.) You live in Kansas.  No one outside of you gives a flying fuck what the residents of your backwater little town consider current events.  No one cares about Kansas.  I have relatives that live in Kansas.  I dont call them and ask them their views of world affairs.  

Except for KU basketball, loads of super rich people in Johnson County, the Koch Brothers, Wichita aviation, Knute Rockne, Ft.Riley/Leavenworth and wheat farmers, you might be right.

1 minute ago, caulfield12 said:

Except for KU basketball, loads of super rich people in Johnson County, the Koch Brothers, Wichita aviation, Knute Rockne, Ft.Riley/Leavenworth and wheat farmers, you might be right.

Unless you live in Kansas.  You don't care.  Just like no one cares about Illinois, unless you live here or you live next to the state.   

18 minutes ago, southsideirish71 said:

4.) You live in Kansas.  No one outside of you gives a flying fuck what the residents of your backwater little town consider current events.  No one cares about Kansas.  I have relatives that live in Kansas.  I dont call them and ask them their views of world affairs.  Every person on this forum lives somewhere.  We dont qualify everything with,  Well the people of Downers Grove, Lisle, Oak Park, Orland Park, etc are asking .....X.   My town is full of shit, just like the next one.  Just like yours.  Stop by qualifying that you live in Kansas.  Everyone here knows you live there.  No one cares about your zipcode.  

Thanks for the sugestions. I will try to abide. If I am allowed a quick rebuttal. To No. 1: When is the last time I mentioned Rush or a Trump tweet. Geez. I can't believe how despised I am. But it is what it is. As Sally Field would say, "You hate me. You hate me."

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, greg775 said:

Thanks for the sugestions. I will try to abide. If I am allowed a quick rebuttal. To No. 1: When is the last time I mentioned Rush or a Trump tweet. Geez. I can't believe how despised I am. But it is what it is. As Sally Field would say, "You hate me. You hate me."

I don't hate you.  I don't know you.   You are an anonymous person that types nonsense on a message board.  Your act is annoying.   You could be my neighbor, you could be a 78 year old nun from my parish, you could be a 17 year old kid getting his rocks off by annoying a message board.  Who the fuck knows.  It doesnt matter.    

Edited by southsideirish71
  • Like 3

On 5/23/2020 at 1:53 PM, greg775 said:

I don't believe in owning a gun. I've never shot a gun. Hope I never need one.

Well as we become one of the poorest countries on the planet, with no meat, those riots you've been warning us about will mean the big gun eats. Y'all will be one less that ol' Tex will have to fight with for that T-bone.  

• Like 1

My school district has been making this point and I think it's worth sharing. Our goal is NOT to return to normal in the fall. Our goal is to return to Better. 

• Like 2

The devastation, in other words, has been disproportionately felt in blue America, which helps explain why people on opposing sides of a partisan divide that has intensified in the past two decades are thinking about the virus differently. It is not just that Democrats and Republicans disagree on how to reopen businesses, schools and the country as a whole. Beyond perception, beyond ideology, there are starkly different realities for red and blue America right now.

Democrats are far more likely to live in counties where the virus has ravaged the community, while Republicans are more likely to live in counties that have been relatively unscathed by the illness, though they are paying an economic price. Counties won by President Donald Trump in 2016 have reported just 27% of the virus infections and 21% of the deaths — even though 45% of Americans live in these communities, a New York Times analysis has found.

The very real difference in death rates has helped fuel deep disagreement over the dangers of the pandemic and how the country should proceed. Right-wing media, which moved swiftly from downplaying the severity of the crisis to calling it a Democratic plot to bring down the president, has exacerbated the rift. And even as the nation’s top medical experts note the danger of easing restrictions, communities across the country are doing so, creating a patchwork of regulations, often along ideological lines.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/coronavirus-deadliest-where-democrats-live-121518089.html

5 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

The devastation, in other words, has been disproportionately felt in blue America, which helps explain why people on opposing sides of a partisan divide that has intensified in the past two decades are thinking about the virus differently. It is not just that Democrats and Republicans disagree on how to reopen businesses, schools and the country as a whole. Beyond perception, beyond ideology, there are starkly different realities for red and blue America right now.

Democrats are far more likely to live in counties where the virus has ravaged the community, while Republicans are more likely to live in counties that have been relatively unscathed by the illness, though they are paying an economic price. Counties won by President Donald Trump in 2016 have reported just 27% of the virus infections and 21% of the deaths — even though 45% of Americans live in these communities, a New York Times analysis has found.

The very real difference in death rates has helped fuel deep disagreement over the dangers of the pandemic and how the country should proceed. Right-wing media, which moved swiftly from downplaying the severity of the crisis to calling it a Democratic plot to bring down the president, has exacerbated the rift. And even as the nation’s top medical experts note the danger of easing restrictions, communities across the country are doing so, creating a patchwork of regulations, often along ideological lines.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/coronavirus-deadliest-where-democrats-live-121518089.html

This article has the feel of being a few weeks behind. While it is all true, the trend recently is that the virus is going much more rural and small town now. Large cities and suburbs are seeing declines in case loads, while rural and small town areas are seeing small increases. The increases aren't even of course, but show up as highly intense blossoms in specific areas. In other words, while the virus hit "blue" areas first and hardest, it is now making it's way towards "red".

Greg is small potatoes compared to Trump. Again, Trump is accusing critic Joe Scarborough of murdering one of his staff. Trump is calling it a "cold case." The woman died in one of Scarborough's congressional offices when she had some kind of heart trauma, fell and hit her head. It is not a cold case. The coroner established there was no crime here.

We are in the middle of a huge crisis and all Trump can do is get even with adversaries. More deaths are on the way and they won't be "cold cases." Right now, Trump has no credibility regarding this crisis, not that he ever did.

Another wave is predicted. Will be we better prepared this time? Will there be enough PPEs? Enough space in ICUs? Trump doesn't seem all that concerned. Instead, he is causing pain for a widower who still misses his wife.

• Like 1