COVID-19/Coronavirus thread

caulfield12

23 minutes ago, StrangeSox said:

Things are already looking bad in a lot of states. They'll look much worse in a few weeks.

Thread showing 7-day average of positive tests rising in multiple states across the country. Overall, outside of NY, NJ, and CT, the national positive rate is flat and now ticking back up a little.

Just in time for spring training 2.0

3 hours ago, StrangeSox said:

There's perhaps something more morally righteous about these protests and their cause than getting drunk at a pool party.

But there will definitely be outbreaks because of this. Unfortunate that the murder of yet another one of our fellow citizens sparked this off.

Very fine people on both sides.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, StrangeSox said:

There's perhaps something more morally righteous about these protests and their cause than getting drunk at a pool party.

But there will definitely be outbreaks because of this. Unfortunate that the murder of yet another one of our fellow citizens sparked this off.

For sure and for the record I think they should burn everything down- let my people go.

But this has absolutely nothing to do with the point.  People screaming at kids for playing because of the virus need to be scared absolutely shitless right now.   Anybody who had hope for trace and contain...have only one possible outlook right now.  Only one.  And that’s mass spread and exponential rising in cases and deaths.  There’s no other possible way to look at it if you’re one of those people.  No spikes.  Exponential spike.   Donezo.   

So I guess now we’ll finally see millions of dead Americans.  This sucks. 

I just posted this in the George Floyd thread and will post my thoughts on this as well.  

The leaderlessness of this nation and partisan messaging of every aspect of life has really gotten to me.

I am a pretty bright individual and I posted many, many pages ago in this thread that I really do not know anything for certain about COVID and I feel that nobody else does either.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jerksticks said:

For sure and for the record I think they should burn everything down- let my people go.

But this has absolutely nothing to do with the point.  People screaming at kids for playing because of the virus need to be scared absolutely shitless right now.   Anybody who had hope for trace and contain...have only one possible outlook right now.  Only one.  And that’s mass spread and exponential rising in cases and deaths.  There’s no other possible way to look at it if you’re one of those people.  No spikes.  Exponential spike.   Donezo.   

So I guess now we’ll finally see millions of dead Americans.  This sucks. 

For reference...yes, I'm rather scared. 

5 minutes ago, Harry Chappas said:

I just posted this in the George Floyd thread and will post my thoughts on this as well.  

The leaderlessness of this nation and partisan messaging of every aspect of life has really gotten to me.

I am a pretty bright individual and I posted many, many pages ago in this thread that I really do not know anything for certain about COVID and I feel that nobody else does either.  

At this point, I believe we have good information about how it is spread and how it isn't, how deadly it is overall, and how it attacks the body in most cases. We do not understand all of the effects, particularly long-term, on people, nor do we have any reliable treatments other than the breathing/ventilation techniques that have been tried so far.

• Like 1

Because of the stimulus "checks" being sent out via debit cards I learned my mother-in-law has never used an ATM. It only took a few minutes but we were able to transfer the funds from the debit card to her bank account. The only fee was the home cooked dinner she promised me. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Harry Chappas said:

I agree with the partisan messaging. There has to be times when politics has to be put aside. And if this isn't it, when would it be? The political system is failing us big time. As I have said in other posts, this is so much bigger than Trump and Biden or any other leader. Only too many are not acting like leaders. 

7 minutes ago, NWINFan said:

I agree with the partisan messaging. There has to be times when politics has to be put aside. And if this isn't it, when would it be? The political system is failing us big time. As I have said in other posts, this is so much bigger than Trump and Biden or any other leader. Only too many are not acting like leaders. 

As someone who strongly believes in politics affecting everyday life....there are some things that are beyond politics....like climate change, pandemics, racism, and human rights violations/general human suffering.  Injecting politics into those issues is beyond reprehensible, and borders on pure evil. 

Edited by Jack Parkman
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Quin said:

These protests will result in second spikes. You see a large amount of protestors wearing masks, but not all. This is the ultimate stress test of reopening.

The US didn't reopen slowly, it reopened fast. Only Illinois, Connecticut, and New York met CDC requirements to reopen. 

Hopefully those areas were able to suppress the virus fast enough that they aren't hit as hard.

Nobody, or should I say very few of the 2,000 at our rally, were wearing masks. Virtually no people college or high school aged I'd say. I'd say maybe 10 percent of the throng I saw had masks in the Lawrence rally (I realize we're small potatoes and had just two active covid cases for weeks). The protestors nationwide who have looted and arsoned have masks to hide their faces I'd suspect. But if the science is right, the country will have so many new cases of COVID. There have protests all over in huge cities and smaller ones. Everybody's had huge rallies in the Midwest --- Wichita, Tulsa, Austin, Omaha everywhere. God help us if COVID cases surge although my nurse brother (in chicago) insists COVID has not been a huge problem: "Covid was not as contagious as believed," he wrote me. Don't shoot the messenger. He is a successful nurse in the greatest city in the country.

Edited by greg775

Just got tested at an IDPH testing drive thru facility in Harwood Heights.

I had been in the emergency room last Friday for several hours due to a car wreck where I needed stitches, so even though I had no symptoms so wanted to be tested in case I should isolate from my family.

I was really impressed by the operation. It was converted from an old state emissions testing facility. I definitely got there 30 min early and maybe 50 or so cars were ahead of me so I was dreading it, but once doors opened at 7 I was out at 730. Very fast, very well organized and definitely felt safe for the workers.

And the nasal swab was gross but it’s a few seconds, no worse than a bad shot.

• Like 1

Not a scientifically valid survey but the past three weeks when I have gone to curbside pick up groceries I was the only car. A month ago I waited fifteen minutes for one of the 30 spots to become available. 

26 minutes ago, bmags said:

Just got tested at an IDPH testing drive thru facility in Harwood Heights.

I had been in the emergency room last Friday for several hours due to a car wreck where I needed stitches, so even though I had no symptoms so wanted to be tested in case I should isolate from my family.

I was really impressed by the operation. It was converted from an old state emissions testing facility. I definitely got there 30 min early and maybe 50 or so cars were ahead of me so I was dreading it, but once doors opened at 7 I was out at 730. Very fast, very well organized and definitely felt safe for the workers.

And the nasal swab was gross but it’s a few seconds, no worse than a bad shot.

I've kind of been dreading the test. I'm glad it wasn't that bad. Before my upcoming appointment at MD Anderson Cancer Center I have to have the test. I'm driving four hours each way on Monday then hopefully returning Thursday for my appointment. 

51 minutes ago, Texsox said:

I've kind of been dreading the test. I'm glad it wasn't that bad. Before my upcoming appointment at MD Anderson Cancer Center I have to have the test. I'm driving four hours each way on Monday then hopefully returning Thursday for my appointment. 

I mean, I'd prefer saliva, but it's not as bad as certain other swab tests.

I'm going on a week waiting for my results in Iowa. 

I wouldn't say the test really hurts, but its not comfortable, there's more fun ways to spend that time.

EDIT: Literally got my test results right after posting, they are negative.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Heads22 said:

I wouldn't say the test really hurts, but its not comfortable, there's more fun ways to spend that time.

Huzzah!

(now don't look at the false negative percentages)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Heads22 said:

That's great news!