COVID-19/Coronavirus thread

caulfield12

4 hours ago, Texsox said:

I've kind of been dreading the test. I'm glad it wasn't that bad. Before my upcoming appointment at MD Anderson Cancer Center I have to have the test. I'm driving four hours each way on Monday then hopefully returning Thursday for my appointment. 

I hated the test. You have no idea your nose is that deep, and I got a really weird taste in my mouth. 

1 minute ago, Dick Allen said:

I hated the test. You have no idea your nose is that deep, and I got a really weird taste in my mouth. 

You know Dick just when I was getting to like you 😀

1 hour ago, Dick Allen said:

Yeah, it didn't really hurt, but it wasn't comfortable. It was less enjoyable than a prostate exam.

Wasn't it @Jack Parkman a week or so ago who asked about the long-term effects of this disease on the otherwise healthy people who get it? Here's a piece on some of the apparently thousands of cases where the symptoms linger for weeks to months.

https://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2020/06/covid-19-coronavirus-longterm-symptoms-months/612679/

14 hours ago, Yearnin' for Yermin said:

I completely understand why people are protesting, but I don't want any of them anywhere close to me. I expect we see a spike in cases among protestors.

Kansas City has had several rallies, nightly actually for many consecutive days, in which thounsands of people are crammed in next to each other like a rock concert festival. No government official has said a word about the danger of this regarding corona. Meanwhile, restrictions are still in place for restaurants, etc. It's all a big disgrace. I'd expect cases to spike everywhere and this isn't even the bad time of year for viruses. Wait til September through March. Wow.

• Haha 1

53 minutes ago, greg775 said:

Kansas City has had several rallies, nightly actually for many consecutive days, in which thounsands of people are crammed in next to each other like a rock concert festival. No government official has said a word about the danger of this regarding corona. Meanwhile, restrictions are still in place for restaurants, etc. It's all a big disgrace. I'd expect cases to spike everywhere and this isn't even the bad time of year for viruses. Wait til September through March. Wow.

Kansas City has had 3 straight days of 100+ new cases out of the 5 days in June, setting new highs.

Because it takes >5 days for things to show up at levels that can be tested for, these cases were mostly people infected a week to several weeks ago. 

https://www.kansascity.com/news/coronavirus/article243274646.html

• Like 1

2 hours ago, StrangeSox said:

So there was positive employment news today! Unemployment down to 13.1%!

Except it turns out BLS accidentally misclassified 4.9M unemployed people as employed. Oops.

One can only wonder how many “insiders” profited off this information in early trading Friday morning.

Amazing how these errors by the government and certain states only work in a “positive spin” fashion.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/06/05/economy/unemployment-rate-us-explained/index.html

Edited by caulfield12

Tested negative today. That’s a great turnaround, now that all tests are free, highly recommend the IDPH run drive thrus.

Guys - reporting the monthly jobs numbers is pretty hard 3 days post months end. There are always huge revisions. 

• Like 3

What are your opinions on protestors and covid-19? Is it wrong to be furious at them for being so negligent?

These are the largely same people who blamed Trump for coronavirus spreading so rapidly. They're the same ones who would lambast people for not social distancing. Now they're willfully spreading it themselves. But it doesn't matter that social distancing isn't being practiced by protestors, because I agree with them!

I would be absolutely furious if I got it from somebody I knew that went to a protest. 

Edited by Yearnin' for Yermin

16 minutes ago, Yearnin' for Yermin said:

What are your opinions on protestors and covid-19? Is it wrong to be furious at them for being so negligent?

These are the largely same people who blamed Trump for coronavirus spreading so much, now they're willfully spreading it themselves. I will be absolutely furious if I get it from somebody close to me that went to a protest. 

We’ve been told constantly for the last month that it’s no big deal and it’s over. We’ve more than doubled our average cases per day in this state in the last month and none of that was the protests. Why shouldn’t people in the streets listen to that message? Texas says it’s over.

Goddamnit this is why we needed to beat this thing first.

It isn’t just the marches outdoors. It’s police trashing masks in Asheville. It’s police herding DC residents into a small house after curfew. It’s police everywhere putting big crowds in holding cells for hours with no protective equipment. I don’t want people getting sick at these, but the police don’t care either, this is a police riot as much as anything.

i think this is guaranteed to provoke massive spikes in cases, but that was already underway. Had we beaten this in April, we could have survived these protests. I’m more mad at the person going to a crowded restaurant than the protesters because stay the hell home, that’s optional! But it’s too late. We had to be cheap, we needed to cheer people back to work, and hey, the police need to kill people.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

We’ve been told constantly for the last month that it’s no big deal and it’s over. We’ve more than doubled our average cases per day in this state in the last month and none of that was the protests. Why shouldn’t people in the streets listen to that message? Texas says it’s over.

It isn’t just the marches outdoors. It’s police trashing masks in Asheville. It’s police herding DC residents into a small house after curfew. It’s police everywhere putting big crowds in holding cells for hours with no protective equipment. I don’t want people getting sick at these, but the police don’t care either, this is a police riot as much as anything.

i think this is guaranteed to provoke massive spikes in cases, but that was already underway. Had we beaten this in April, we could have survived these protests. I’m more mad at the person going to a crowded restaurant than the protesters because stay the hell home, that’s optional! But it’s too late. We had to be cheap, we needed to cheer people back to work, and hey, the police need to kill people.

You're absolving blame from those who attended protests because you agree with the sentiment of the protest. You're placing the blame squarely on Trump and the cops. 

OF COURSE the cops negligence caused these protests and riots. Of course Trump could have done better with the pandemic. But how about a little personal fucking responsibility? No matter how just the protestors are in their message, they are still knowingly putting themselves and many others at risk. Anybody who went to a large protest lost the right to b**** at others for not social distancing and better bare the responsibility of putting others at risk, and potentially killing them. I hope these people stay at home for the next 2 weeks. 

3 minutes ago, Yearnin' for Yermin said:

You're absolving blame from those who attended protests because you agree with the sentiment of the protest. You're placing the blame squarely on Trump and the cops. 

OF COURSE the cops negligence caused these protests and riots. Of course Trump could have done better with the pandemic. But how about a little personal fucking responsibility? No matter how just the protestors are in their message, they are still knowingly putting themselves and many others at risk. Anybody who went to a large protest lost the right to b**** at others for not social distancing and better bare the responsibility of putting others at risk, and potentially killing them. I hope these people stay at home for the next 2 weeks. 

If it’s ok to go to a restaurant and a gym, where we know people are in crowds and not wearing masks, why is that ok and this isn’t? Why is personal responsibility only a thing now but not for the increase from 700 to 1500 cases per day here? 

you say I’m absolving blame of the protesters, but you are trying to absolve blame of the police and my governor (who I am convinced is actually a coronavirus) when you ask only about blame for the protesters?

Its clear the US as a whole is too selfish to do the right thing for a period of more than a few weeks. Unlike the rest of the world, we couldn’t beat it in 2 months, and we said it’s all over because helping others was too hard. If it’s ok to go to a steakhouse, it’s ok to go to a protest. Now here’s the consequences, everyone gets to live with it.

Complain to me about the protests in places that still have full stay at home orders until all cases are traced. It’s the same thing I was saying 6 weeks ago. Where are those places? 

17 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

If it’s ok to go to a restaurant and a gym, where we know people are in crowds and not wearing masks, why is that ok and this isn’t? Why is personal responsibility only a thing now but not for the increase from 700 to 1500 cases per day here? 

you say I’m absolving blame of the protesters, but you are trying to absolve blame of the police and my governor (who I am convinced is actually a coronavirus) when you ask only about blame for the protesters?

Its clear the US as a whole is too selfish to do the right thing for a period of more than a few weeks. Unlike the rest of the world, we couldn’t beat it in 2 months, and we said it’s all over because helping others was too hard. If it’s ok to go to a steakhouse, it’s ok to go to a protest. Now here’s the consequences, everyone gets to live with it.

Complain to me about the protests in places that still have full stay at home orders until all cases are traced. It’s the same thing I was saying 6 weeks ago. Where are those places? 

I guess you missed the part where i said "The cops negligence caused these protests and riots." I didn't absolve them of any blame. 

You don't know what my stance is on coronavirus and social distancing. You're completely making things up and putting words in my mouth. I also blame anybody that is going to a restaurant and gym while ignoring social distancing guidelines. They are just as guilty. And lets be real, this isn't just like people going to a restaurant. These are MASSIVE crowds in close quarters. However, you seem to be completely absolving protests of blame for likely spreading coronavirus with your whataboutisms.

Please, answer my question. Should protesters that spread coronavirus to others be held equally responsible to any other person that knowingly ignored social distancing practices and spread it to others?

Edited by Yearnin' for Yermin

8 minutes ago, Yearnin' for Yermin said:

I guess you missed the part where i said "The cops negligence caused these protests and riots." I didn't absolve them of any blame. 

You don't know what my stance is on coronavirus and social distancing. You're completely making things up and putting words in my mouth. I also blame anybody that is going to a restaurant and gym while ignoring social distancing guidelines. They are just as guilty. And lets be real, this isn't just like people going to a restaurant. These are MASSIVE crowds in close quarters. However, you seem to be completely absolving protests of blame for likely spreading coronavirus with your whataboutisms.

Please, answer my question. Should protesters that spread coronavirus to others be held equally responsible to any other person that knowingly ignored social distancing practices and spread it to others?

Yes. Since nothing will happen to people who went to parties and restaurants over the last month other than a side eye from me, the same should happen to protestors. Feel free to give a side eye. 

should anything happen to the governments who said these things were ok when they clearly weren’t?

42 minutes ago, Yearnin' for Yermin said:

If these protests took place in March or April, it would be a stronger point.

Many have been forced to go back to work whether they like it or not...since the beginning of May.

Rationally, if 1/3rd or 40% or whatever the number isn’t being careful, it pretty much means you’re eventually assured of getting it, unless you have the ability to stay indoors for another 2-3 months.

The Coronavirus task force essentially has been disbanded...and all the headlines are on the economy and especially jobs news and the stock market.

Psychologically, there simply wasn’t the stamina to keep this going beyond 8-10 weeks.  We’re at double that amount of time here in China, only Grade 6/9/12 students are back in school (and that’s only due to national exams that determine placements for middle school, high school and university)...and the level of precaution and mask wearing is incredible.  We still have checkpoints with mobile phone pass codes all over the city, and 8 million residents were tested over 2-3 weeks to find 300 asymptomatic cases at a cost of nearly $125 million.  We still can’t even travel to more than a handful of Chinese cities without two week quarantines or massive restrictions.  My son went outside for the FIRST time in almost 4 1/2, that’s how serious things are.

Whereas in the US, even Dr. Fauci was basically encouraging people to go outside on Memorial Day weekend.

As soon as all the GOP-led states outside of MD, MA, IN and OH decided to go in an independent direction...with the only “scolding” being against Kemp in GA for 24 hour news cycle’s worth of going too fast or recklessly, the writing has been on the wall.

And you’re now seeing all those SE states, Texas, Heartland, Sunbelt and West being hit hard/er because of that determination to open the country up faster because it just happened to be an election year.

Finally, almost none of the police/Secret Service/military police/National Guard have been wearing masks...it’s about a 5 or 6 to 1 ratio of protestors wearing masks to police, if not higher.   And they’re disregarding masking guidelines while on paid, government duty...defying the CDC guidance which the President has disobeyed for all but 10-15 minutes behind the scenes at a MI Ford plant.  

Edited by caulfield12
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Balta1701 said:

I like your posts but I wish you'd be tougher on the protestors. I went to our rally here Sunday, 2000 people, I didn't get out of my car, was just on the periphery and nobody had masks on. Greg got beat up pretty good on this board for wanting a haircut. When I got my haircut there were 3 people in the building counting me, all wearing masks. I'd like to see more criticism of both the protestors and the medical people who said it was OK to protest. Face it, nobody was going to publicly criticize a protestor for ANY reason, including COVID experts. I mean cmon, the mob protestors are just as selfish COVID wise as anybody else violating a COVID requirement. Those people at our rally could give a flip about covid. I talked to a few and they were furious about Mr. Floyd's death, not caring a BIT bout covid. How bout some negative words about them?

p.s. We've had HUGE rallies every day in KC since the murder. Our spike is going to be INCREDIBLE. My contention is they are as bad as the ones who half packed our bowling alley the first night you could bowl legally. But it's cool to blame the bowlers here; not the protestors.

Edited by greg775
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, greg775 said:

I like your posts but I wish you'd be tougher on the protestors. I went to our rally here Sunday, 2000 people, I didn't get out of my car, was just on the periphery and nobody had masks on. Greg got beat up pretty good on this board for wanting a haircut. When I got my haircut there were 3 people in the building counting me, all wearing masks. I'd like to see more criticism of both the protestors and the medical people who said it was OK to protest. Face it, nobody was going to publicly criticize a protestor for ANY reason, including COVID experts. I mean cmon, the mob protestors are just as selfish COVID wise as anybody else violating a COVID requirement. Those people at our rally could give a flip about covid. I talked to a few and they were furious about Mr. Floyd's death, not caring a BIT bout covid. How bout some negative words about them?

p.s. We've had HUGE rallies every day in KC since the murder. Our spike is going to be INCREDIBLE. My contention is they are as bad as the ones who half packed our bowling alley the first night you could bowl legally. But it's cool to blame the bowlers here; not the protestors.

All along, the arguments starting in April were about people expressing their rights/liberties/freedoms.

That state/local governments were depriving them of their opportunity to pursue happiness.

Which is the most sacred American right?   The First Amendment to the Constitution, or the inalienable rights to get a haircut, go bowling or go to get a cup of coffee?

Of those activities, which one has the most potential to change our country, hopefully for the better?   Which is worth fighting and dying for, as Americans have been doing willingly for 244 years now?

My wife said something interesting when she saw that 75 year old pushed to the ground...that she always believed that America was the greatest country in the world until she saw the events of the last two weeks played out in the media everyday.  She said “what’s wrong with America?”   More recently, expressing the idea that she feels sorry for Americans.  What happened to the shining light at the top of the hill?

Edited by caulfield12
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I just watched a two minute video of a guy walking through a Vegas casino tonight. Jam packed! And no masks cept on the dealers. Lot of beer bottles evident of course but no masks. Let's get real. Protestors, looters, gamblers in Vegas, guys at the bars and strip clubs in Vegas ... they are not wearing masks, folks. Heaven help us. All those people are gonna be returning to their hometowns. Corona is going to spike so bad.

Edited by greg775
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, greg775 said:

I just watched a two minute video of a guy walking through a Vegas casino tonight. Jam packed! And no masks cept on the dealers. Lot of beer bottles evident of course but no masks. Let's get real. Protestors, looters, gamblers in Vegas, guys at the bars and strip clubs in Vegas ... they are not wearing masks, folks. Heaven help us. All those people are gonna be returning to their hometowns. Corona is going to spike so bad.

Why can’t Greg get a haircut? Why can’t Greg go to church? Why can’t Greg sit in the park? Why are you worried now? There have only been 60 cases in your county.