COVID-19/Coronavirus thread

caulfield12

13 hours ago, Tony said:

Which I don’t seem to understand? Do we think this is spreading more indoors, could that be the reason?

Most people were wearing masks, and the protests were outdoors.  I am still surprised that there wasn't at least some increase in the positivity rate.  Definitely good news.

I was talking to my parents last night, who live in NC.  Apparently the state is making masks mandatory starting today in response to cases on the increase again, and they're concerned there will be another lockdown.  They remarked how well Illinois has done is national news.  It's amazing the number of people here who are still b****ing about the plan.  We're now on pace to go to Phase 4 on Friday, when movie theaters will be allowed to open and restaurants can start seating inside.  Six weeks ago, getting there seemed like an impossibility.  It really shows how effective social distancing and masks can be.

I read an article that said if 80% of people wore masks, the virus could be pretty well controlled.  It's really not hard to wear a mask, and it's a shame more people aren't wearing them.

• Like 1

https://www.cnn.com/videos/politics/2020/06/20/arizona-coronavirus-masks-pkg-lah-ebof-vpx.cnn

Man says he lost family to virus.  Why he's still not wearing a mask.

No-lockdown Sweden is compelling parents to send their children to school. Some fear their kids could ultimately be taken away if they refuse.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/no-lockdown-sweden-compelling-parents-092900158.html

Edited by caulfield12

12 minutes ago, StrangeSox said:

Illinois is on pace to move to Phase 4, but we still have hundreds of new cases a day and don't seem to have any sort of contact tracing in place at all. 

Seems unwise imo.

The latest Apple IOS update has an app through Google that you can voluntarily turn on. If you test positive its supposed to alert others close to you.

Of course this all relies on people a) volunteering this information and b) using the app.

Also people are just now finding it on social media and think it's some big brother conspiracy even though it was all over the news a month ago.

Social media continues to prove to me that a greater majority of the population are pretty much idiots than I would have hoped.

What is the government going to do with the information that I went to visit my father yesterday, am at work and may stop at the grocery store this afternoon.  Hell I tell my car insurance company my every move in an attempt to save a few hundred bucks.  If you don't want to be traced use a burner phone when conducting those activities. 

Wearing a mask does not cure or prevent COVID but it does reduce the chances of getting it.  I would think that concept is an easy one.

A friend of mine is begging people to come back to work and they refuse, not because of COVID but because of the government paying people to remain unemployed.

I am really starting to fear for this world.

18 minutes ago, Harry Chappas said:

Social media continues to prove to me that a greater majority of the population are pretty much idiots than I would have hoped.

What is the government going to do with the information that I went to visit my father yesterday, am at work and may stop at the grocery store this afternoon.  Hell I tell my car insurance company my every move in an attempt to save a few hundred bucks.  If you don't want to be traced use a burner phone when conducting those activities. 

Wearing a mask does not cure or prevent COVID but it does reduce the chances of getting it.  I would think that concept is an easy one.

A friend of mine is begging people to come back to work and they refuse, not because of COVID but because of the government paying people to remain unemployed.

Wouldn't surprise me if a lot like the elections, there is some foreign element on social media helping to fuel these fires. There will always be idiots, but every day I go out, I count how many masks I see on the first 20 people I encounter. My high mark last week was 7.

Edited by Dick Allen

8 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

Wouldn't surprise me if a lot like the elections, there is some foreign element on social media helping to fuel these fires.

There is, at least on Twitter. The replies to any COVID-related tweet are littered with anti-mask/anti-science ramblings from bots. Because there are so many of said bots, these replies get vaulted to the top because they all like and retweet each other. It's a real problem and Twitter needs to find a way to get rid of these accounts quicker

1 hour ago, Harry Chappas said:

Thought that people were at risk of losing UNE if they were called back to work and couldn’t find a valid health-related or childcare-related excuse?

19 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Thought that people were at risk of losing UNE if they were called back to work and couldn’t find a valid health-related or childcare-related excuse?

In fact states have set up snitch lines for this exact purpose.  They want to make sure that they get everyone off of unemployment as possible.

South Korea becomes first country to announce “second wave“ of coronavirus

https://www.yahoo.com/news/coronavirus-south-korea-second-wave-112229586.html

• 90 cases and it’s a second wave. Florida has 4 thousand yesterday and it’s just minor setback.
  •  
    Ken
    32 minutes ago
    They call it a second wave.... we just call it a spike in cases. Go figure!
Edited by caulfield12

Detailed Phase 4 guidance released, along with Pritzker (and Lightfoot) announcing we are going to Phase 4 Friday.

Two things missing are two of the three that families are most focused on: schools and overnight camps (they DID release Day Camp guidance already, so that is good). Schools guidance coming soon apparently, but there is still some question around overnight camps.

I will say again, you cannot expect to do all this Phase 4 opening if you do not also fully open schools in the fall. To do one and not the other is a disaster for a LOT of families who will be left with an impossible choice.

Two (more) staffers who attended President Donald Trump's rally in Tulsa, Oklahoma, on Saturday tested positive for coronavirus, Trump's campaign said Monday. 

"After another round of testing for campaign staff in Tulsa, two additional members of the advance team tested positive for the coronavirus. These staff members attended the rally but were wearing masks during the entire event. Upon the positive tests, the campaign immediately activated established quarantine and contact tracing protocols," Trump campaign communications director Tim Murtaugh told CNN in a statement. 

The two positive tests, first reported by CNBC, bring the total number of Trump advance team staffers in Tulsa who tested positive for coronavirus to eight. 

Hours before Trump's Saturday rally, the campaign said that six staffers working on the rally tested positive for coronavirus.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/06/22/politics/two-staffers-coronavirus-trump-rally/index.html

That’s in addition to two Secret Service members, making ten in all so far that are in 14 day quarantine...

https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/amid-threats-and-political-pushback-public-health-officials-leaving-posts/2020/06/22/6075f7a2-b0cf-11ea-856d-5054296735e5_story.html?hpid=hp_hp-top-table-main_virus-officials-1245pm%3Ahomepage%2Fstory-ans&itid=hp_hp-top-table-main_virus-officials-1245pm%3Ahomepage%2Fstory-ans

Public health care workers feel villainized, leaving posts 

Edited by caulfield12

5 hours ago, NorthSideSox72 said:

Detailed Phase 4 guidance released, along with Pritzker (and Lightfoot) announcing we are going to Phase 4 Friday.

Two things missing are two of the three that families are most focused on: schools and overnight camps (they DID release Day Camp guidance already, so that is good). Schools guidance coming soon apparently, but there is still some question around overnight camps.

I will say again, you cannot expect to do all this Phase 4 opening if you do not also fully open schools in the fall. To do one and not the other is a disaster for a LOT of families who will be left with an impossible choice.

My wife is a high school teacher and we have been left wondering what to do. It seems tough trying to have everyone to go back at once without a staggered start, or starting in person and doing an online component. I don’t think we can trust the kids to wear masks, be socially distanced in classrooms and expect teachers to wear face shields. I think they might be going to school to start but the bulk of the first semester may be at home online. Then maybe when the vaccine comes out then in person classes will resume.

40 minutes ago, The Beast said:

My wife is a high school teacher and we have been left wondering what to do. It seems tough trying to have everyone to go back at once without a staggered start, or starting in person and doing an online component. I don’t think we can trust the kids to wear masks, be socially distanced in classrooms and expect teachers to wear face shields. I think they might be going to school to start but the bulk of the first semester may be at home online. Then maybe when the vaccine comes out then in person classes will resume.

They are in high school.  They can wear masks.  The online school was a fucking joke.  Before this started  my kids were high honors students.  The online classroom is so fucking easy. They put in about 45 minutes of work a day with their "online" class. They are getting cheated by this.  Most of kids in their class cheat.  Its dumb to think you can even remotely have the same level of instruction online.  This nonsense of not having in person classes until a cure comes.  Good luck with that.  

Edited by southsideirish71
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, southsideirish71 said:

They are in high school.  They can wear masks.  The online school was a fucking joke.  Before this started  my kids were high honors students.  The online classroom is so fucking easy. They put in about 45 minutes of work a day with their "online" class. They are getting cheated by this.  Most of kids in their class cheat.  Its dumb to think you can even remotely have the same level of instruction online.  This nonsense of not having in person classes until a cure comes.  Good luck with that.  

No need to be angry about it and blame the teachers for the online learning (unless you blame administrators and Pritzker). I never said the bolded either. Every school is a bit different, the math classes require retakes for a better grade and the teachers clearly know when they are cheating. If school continues, the kids better wear masks and be social distanced away from each other. I’m not sure how sports will be handled either. We’ll see what Illinois does. 

Edited by The Beast