COVID-19/Coronavirus thread

caulfield12

Trump finally wore a mask and in public. Now he dispatched his surgeon general and the assistant secretary for health on the Sunday shows to promote masks and defend the administration. Now he would be best served to go in front of the cameras and say to wear masks and their benefits. But still, this is the same dude that said that his opponent wearing a mask is weak. Nice about-face.

Edited by The Beast

1 hour ago, Dick Allen said:

A friend of mine knows someone significant In the Iowa athletic department. He told me this person told him they really do not expect to play football this fall. Hopefully in the spring.

Any school that thinks they can do fall sports is deluding themselves right now, it's just a matter of time. 

Getting pro sports going in this country has required testing every 2 days for MLB, and even then it's an open question whether it will work. The country simply doesn't have the testing capacity to do that with college sports. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, StrangeSox said:

They have no plan to control this and keep us safe, and they don't care if you or your children die.

Please tell me she didn’t really say this.  My god if there’s anyone more incompetent than Trump it’s Betsy fucking DeVos.

Edited by Chicago White Sox
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Meanwhile, my 70+ year old parents left Chicago to go to the death trap that is Florida...

Yikes. My mom works at a Walgreens in South Carolina. Ran out of FMLA we used so she could watch her grandparents. No good place to go now really. Not unless you can send your parents to Taipei or Hanoi

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Dick Allen said:

A friend of mine knows someone significant In the Iowa athletic department. He told me this person told him they really do not expect to play football this fall. Hopefully in the spring.

Where are the colleges going to get all the tests needed and do all the tests needed to know if their teams are safe? That's for football and basketball. They might as well announce this week that all sports besides football and basketball are canceled. Again, a baseball or volleyball team goes on a road trip. So they test the day before they leave and two kids have the virus. So 14 day quarantine for the whole team. What if the team had made it to its destination with no COVID positives. So on game day they take temperatures and two kids have fevers after the bus ride/plane ride. Game canceled. Some games canceled; a few played. Why bother?

At best just allow teams to practice and play intrasquad games until the 2021-22 school year and wait until the last minute to give up on football and basketball. But all other sports give it up right now for this school year.

3 hours ago, greg775 said:

Where are the colleges going to get all the tests needed and do all the tests needed to know if their teams are safe? That's for football and basketball. They might as well announce this week that all sports besides football and basketball are canceled. Again, a baseball or volleyball team goes on a road trip. So they test the day before they leave and two kids have the virus. So 14 day quarantine for the whole team. What if the team had made it to its destination with no COVID positives. So on game day they take temperatures and two kids have fevers after the bus ride/plane ride. Game canceled. Some games canceled; a few played. Why bother?

At best just allow teams to practice and play intrasquad games until the 2021-22 school year and wait until the last minute to give up on football and basketball. But all other sports give it up right now for this school year.

Why bother with keeping basketball and football? Call them all.

43 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

The WH is going on a crusade to trash Fauci. 

And probably will still say everything is under control and the virus will go away once it gets warmer.

What did they do now?

So now every teacher wants online instruction.  So great.  They are ready to go right.  A full day of zoom meetings, meaningful instruction and tests/grades.  Its not going to be another semester of once a week zoom meetings and 20 minutes of busy work for homework.  No pass/fail bullshit right.   They have had months to figure this out.  So the education system is ready to go right. I already know the answer to this.  Because if the plan is more of the same whats the point.    The goalposts have moved.  It's now shutter the system until a vaccine comes out.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, southsideirish71 said:

So now every teacher wants online instruction.  So great.  They are ready to go right.  A full day of zoom meetings, meaningful instruction and tests/grades.  Its not going to be another semester of once a week zoom meetings and 20 minutes of busy work for homework.  No pass/fail bullshit right.   They have had months to figure this out.  So the education system is ready to go right. I already know the answer to this.  Because if the plan is more of the same whats the point.    The goalposts have moved.  It's now shutter the system until a vaccine comes out.  

Hey, everyone else had their chance to actually get this virus under control. We decided not to get the virus under control, that means schools aren't safe to be in. 

6 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Hey, everyone else had their chance to actually get this virus under control. We decided not to get the virus under control, that means schools aren't safe to be in. 

I live in Illinois.  So looking at the positivity rate exactly what do we have to do.  Wait for a vaccine?  I mean we pretty much have damn good numbers.

33 minutes ago, southsideirish71 said:

You should be furious at the people who have completely failed to prepare us to safely reopen schools in the fall, not the teachers who want safe environments.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, southsideirish71 said:

I live in Illinois.  So looking at the positivity rate exactly what do we have to do.  Wait for a vaccine?  I mean we pretty much have damn good numbers.

Positivity rates don't tell you what shape you're in, just if you're testing enough to capture the full extent.

Our case counts are high and climbing again. Sitting at 1k+ cases a day, we're primed for things to get out of control quickly again. We have decent but degrading numbers. Do you expect things to look better or worse in six weeks, given that we're doing less to mitigate and control the spread?

From Johns Hopkins on positivity rates:

If a positivity rate is too high, that may indicate that the state is only testing the sickest patients who seek medical attention, and is not casting a wide enough net to know how much of the virus is spreading within its communities. A low rate of positivity in testing data can be seen as a sign that a state has sufficient testing capacity for the size of their outbreak and is testing enough of its population to make informed decisions about reopening

Edited by StrangeSox

1 minute ago, StrangeSox said:

Positivity rates don't tell you what shape you're in, just if you're testing enough to capture the full extent.

Our case counts are high and climbing again. Sitting at 1k+ cases a day, we're primed for things to get out of control quickly again. We have decent but degrading numbers. Do you expect things to look better or worse in six weeks, given that we're doing less to mitigate and control the spread?

So it's really about waiting for a vaccine.  The goalposts have moved all over the place with this.  Everyone fucking knew the minute this would open up a bit that cases would increase.  The original reason to lockdown was to keep from overloading the hospitals and due to not having enough ppe and ventilators.  Now we cant possibly open up a school because the virus is still around.   And its not the teachers fault.  Okay.  I buy that.  How about this take.  If you are not going to provide proper education, then shut the schools down.  You can do it until there is a vaccine.  And while you do that, furlough the teachers, support staff, and building workers.  just like other businesses that shutter up.  This sham of online education is not acceptable.  It's a glorified checklist to punt kids to the next year, its eyewash at best.  Its busy work to make it seem like something is happening.  Unfortunately nothing is happening.  Its just bullshit.  And there has been plenty of time to address this.  And just pointing at the orange man and getting upset at his incompetence is not enough.  Plenty of blame to go around.  My wife works in a school district.  There has been zero, zero talk of what happens if the schools cant open up.  They are having their first call in a week to go over the concerns of the teachers.  It is going to be exactly the same as the spring.  That was a quick thing that occured in March.  In August its not.  There has been time to plan.  And nothing has been done.  Punting the kids to the next year while everyone waits for a vaccine is not going to work.  This is not a glorified babysitting service.  Its education.  If that isnt happening then whats the point.     

• Like 1

I'm sorry that the country as a whole was far too irresponsible and that our federal leadership was far too incompetent and incapable to get this thing to a manageable level to the point we could safely reopen schools, but that's where we are.

Other countries have managed it and are able to safely hold in person schools. We failed to make that a priority and instead rushed to reopen unnecessary social activities like drinking in bars.

And you're right that most of not all schools are unprepared for what's very likely to happen, which is outbreaks causing shutdowns of districts or individual schools.

It sucks and it's shitty for everyone. Be very, very angry at the people in charge who have completely failed us. They put school administration in an impossible situation.

With things the way they are now, growing ppe shortages and not nearly enough testing capacity to regularly test staff and students along with robust contact tracing, there isn't really a safe way to open up the schools. Many will anyway, but I'd be shocked if we made it to October without a bunch of shutdowns.

What is this chart going to look like in mid August? What are we doing to stop and control the spread this time?

Ecu6CMEX0AAzX1w?format=jpg&name=large

Edited by StrangeSox
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, southsideirish71 said:

Get it sloping back down. 

its going up right now. If cases are increasing and positive rate is increasing, you don’t have control. And if you have it going up now, where is it in a month?

Figure out a national strategy for contact tracing. That would have helped too.