COVID-19/Coronavirus thread

caulfield12

2 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

No.  Not even close.  She is the enemy of public education and is only trying to drain public sector funds to the corporate schooling arena.

Online/for profit and charter schools.  Fighting against any benefits accruing to borrowers...all the advantages and protections to lenders.   Complete teardown of public school systems without any solution on reforms or improvements.   Complete lack of awareness of what it actually means to be an instructor with anything but elite/private/suburban school students.

5 minutes ago, StrangeSox said:

It's such an absurd argument when you consider the risks of the different paths. Let's say that the covid denialists are right, this thing is completely overblown, nearly every government around the world has been hoodwinked along with the overwhelming majority of the world's virology and epidemiology experts. Democrats in this country are intentionally hamstringing the economy and overhyping this in order to damage Trump/GOP.

So in that case, what possible harm does wearing the mask actually do? Best case, you wore an extra piece of clothing while out in public for a little bit as a show of consideration for your fellow citizens who were naively scared. This whole thing would be under control without masks, but they didn't cause any harm. Worst case, you're wrong, the actual experts are right, and you wearing the mask helped get this thing under control that much quicker!

Or, you don't wear a mask, and you're right. Ok, what did you gain? Smug satisfaction, but not much else. Or you don't wear a mask, and you're wrong, and now you've increased the danger for everyone's health and our economic capabilities that much more. Maybe you even directly kill someone by spreading the infection to them.

It's the ultimate display of a completely selfish ideology. Minimal personal inconvenience for very high potential reward (greatly reduced illness/death/economic damage), or selfishness with very high potential negative consequences. 

My favorite part of this is that apparently the ENTIRE WORLD HAS DECIDED TO PLAY ALONG.  I want to know on what planet the Dems are this powerful, but can't win an impeachment trial, or even nominate a candidate worth a shit.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Hawkfan said:

The mask is just the flag you wave that says I'm willing to watch people die while I do nothing but ask for more porridge.

Are you talking about corporations, elite executives, high finance and the pairing with exponentially expensive campaigns/lobbying/PAC money that makes it all possible?

2 hours ago, StrangeSox said:

Unless they're messing with the data, not sure why I should care. Make all COVID data fully publicly available to every researcher everywhere.

It was available, but now it's been taken down. You can still get county by county data, but that would take forever to set up a database to pull all the county data. 

2 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

It was available, but now it's been taken down. You can still get county by county data, but that would take forever to set up a database to pull all the county data. 

Oh not the White House deliberately obfuscating data and cutting the CDC out of national health care authority in favor of political hacks.

I'm talking about the breathless "Russian intelligence assets stole COVID vaccine test data!" reporting. Ok, good. Maybe they will use that data to assist in development of their own vaccine. That information should be being shared globally and publicly anyway. This is a pandemic. Unless they actually damaged or destroyed the original Oxford vaccine data, I don't really care if more people now have access to it.

Edited by StrangeSox
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

My favorite part of this is that apparently the ENTIRE WORLD HAS DECIDED TO PLAY ALONG.  I want to know on what planet the Dems are this powerful, but can't win an impeachment trial, or even nominate a candidate worth a shit.

If you go out in Wuhan these days, 100% wearing masks in public places...85% roughly outdoors.

But “maskne”! 

Theatres will open, but at only 30% capacity.  50% reduction in number of showings compared to previously.  No concessions at all.  No tickets sold onsite, they must be reserved seat by seat in designated array using mobile app.  This weeks and weeks after our last SINGLE recorded case, certainly symptomatic individual.

Edited by caulfield12

The Oxford/AstraZeneca vaccine, which seems to be the earliest good shot, is going to move into "challenge" trials.

https://www.theguardian.com/science/2020/jul/16/coronavirus-vaccine-oxford-team-volunteers-lab-controlled-human-challenge-trial

The team behind the Oxford Covid-19 vaccine hope to begin tests on volunteers who will be intentionally exposed to the virus in a “challenge trial”, a move seen as controversial since there is no proven cure for the illness.

Although challenge trials, in which healthy volunteers are given a pathogen, are routine in vaccine development, taking the approach for Covid-19, where there is no failsafe treatment if a volunteer becomes severely ill, has been questioned.

In human challenge trials volunteers are intentionally exposed in a controlled laboratory setting, meaning the trial can be completed in weeks and requires far fewer people.

The Oxford vaccine has already been tested in a phase-one trial involving about 1,000 British volunteers, with full details due to be published in the Lancet on Monday. Tens of thousands of people are also being recruited in the UK, Brazil, South Africa and the US for a further stage of testing, known as phase three.

A senior team member has said that preparations have begun for the human challenge trial to run in parallel with phase three, which would require only tens of volunteers to test the efficacy of the vaccine.

Prof Adrian Hill, director of Oxford University’s Jenner Institute, said that Oxford scientists were working in the laboratory on the technical side of preparation for such a trial and that the team hoped to recruit volunteers within months.

“We’re hoping to be doing challenge trials by the end of the year,” he said. “This might be in parallel or might be after the phase three trial is completed. They’re not competing options, they’re complementary.”

They're already ramping up production so that they can provide the UK and the US (and others) with hundreds of millions of vaccine stock by the end of this year. It sounds like Phase 3 trials and then approval won't be ready until early next year at the soonest, but they are fairly confident in a positive outcome. It's a big risk to start production this early, but we'll be months ahead of schedule on a global scale if it works out.

Edited by StrangeSox

“When he says open, he means open in in full, kids being able to attend each and every day at their school,” McEnany told reporters at the press briefing. “The science should not stand in the way of this.”

I think she was trying to say the science would indicate it is safe for kids, but it came out pretty bad. 

Edited by Dick Allen

5 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

“When he says open, he means open in in full, kids being able to attend each and every day at their school,” McEnany told reporters at the press briefing. “The science should not stand in the way of this.”

I think she was trying to say the science would indicate it is safe for kids, but it came out pretty bad. 

It was probably more of a Freudian slip.

15 minutes ago, StrangeSox said:

The Oxford/AstraZeneca vaccine, which seems to be the earliest good shot, is going to move into "challenge" trials.

https://www.theguardian.com/science/2020/jul/16/coronavirus-vaccine-oxford-team-volunteers-lab-controlled-human-challenge-trial

They're already ramping up production so that they can provide the UK and the US (and others) with hundreds of millions of vaccine stock by the end of this year. It sounds like Phase 3 trials and then approval won't be ready until early next year at the soonest, but they are fairly confident in a positive outcome. It's a big risk to start production this early, but we'll be months ahead of schedule on a global scale if it works out.

Thanks.

Thank you to the individuals volunteering for this, I was hoping challenge trials could be utilized.

First I've seen of IDPH starting to change tune:

https://twitter.com/IDPH/status/1283844960555462657?s=20

2 minutes ago, bmags said:

Thanks.

Thank you to the individuals volunteering for this, I was hoping challenge trials could be utilized.

First I've seen of IDPH starting to change tune:

https://twitter.com/IDPH/status/1283844960555462657?s=20

Gonna steal your thunder on the daily reports a bit!

The new IDPH regional map, linked in the twitter link you posted, looks helpful. But per Rich, the data is currently 3 days behind. Hopefully they fix that soon.

http://www.dph.illinois.gov/regionmetrics

DeSantis is now blaming the media for piss-poor Florida response.   Of course.

How did Georgia Gov. Brian Kemp (R) respond to this obvious surge in Covid-19 in his state? By signing an executive order banning cities and counties from mandating that people have to wear a mask when in public.

Yes, really. This, from the AJC's Greg Bluestein, lays out exactly what Kemp did on Wednesday night:

"Though Kemp's previous orders have barred local governments from taking more restrictive steps than the state, the rules he signed on Wednesday were the first to explicitly ban cities and counties from requiring the use of masks or other face coverings.

"The governor has said he believes requiring masks are a 'bridge too far' and that such a mandate is unenforceable. Instead, he's forcefully urged Georgians to don face coverings and warned not doing so threatens the college football season."

Kemp's move to bar local officials from requiring masks came on the same day that Alabama Gov. Kay Ivey, a Republican, mandated mask-wearing amid a similar uptick to Georgia in coronavirus cases in her state.

www.cnn.com

43 minutes ago, StrangeSox said:

I'm really glad there are people who will volunteer for those things, because I don't think I would. I suppose if I thought my kids were high risk or something along those lines - than maybe I'd say this is what I ultimately need to do to protect them, but man, that would be scary, getting a theoretical vaccine and than exposing you to something that you may or may not be able to recover from (if the vaccine doesn't work).  

29 minutes ago, StrangeSox said:

Gonna steal your thunder on the daily reports a bit!

The new IDPH regional map, linked in the twitter link you posted, looks helpful. But per Rich, the data is currently 3 days behind. Hopefully they fix that soon.

http://www.dph.illinois.gov/regionmetrics

Ha, IDPH used to post at 2:30 on the dot, and they've started to go all over the place so I can't keep up.

It should be telling that while Government has by and large been afraid of making mask rules, that we are seeing the Corporate sector, who exists only for making money, is figuring out that it is more profitable for them to exist with mask regulations than to not. Corporations would not be putting in rules at their own stores, of their own volition, which would cost them MORE money. If Wal-Mart is scared of transmission, you should be too.

35 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

I'm really glad there are people who will volunteer for those things, because I don't think I would. I suppose if I thought my kids were high risk or something along those lines - than maybe I'd say this is what I ultimately need to do to protect them, but man, that would be scary, getting a theoretical vaccine and than exposing you to something that you may or may not be able to recover from (if the vaccine doesn't work).  

The article discusses exactly that reason as to why this is a controversial move. The trial group for the challenge study is only a few dozen, but the problem is exactly what you point out: there's no known highly effective treatment, so this could kill you. And if you don't test the older age cohorts that are more at risk, you're not learning about potential complications and efficacy in those target groups. Ultimately, the scientists and researchers including a number of Nobel laureates argue that the potential good here outweighs the risk given the scale of the COVID-19 crisis around the globe. I know I wouldn't be signing up for it.

The larger Phase 3 trials are still going to take place in the current hotspots where there's enough natural viral exposure to test efficacy. Sadly, the US will be a major part of that. The reason why the original SARS-cov-1 vaccine was eventually abandoned was the the spread was stamped out so effectively that by the time it came for efficacy trials, it just wasn't out there in the wild anymore.

Edited by StrangeSox

12 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

It should be telling that while Government has by and large been afraid of making mask rules, that we are seeing the Corporate sector, who exists only for making money, is figuring out that it is more profitable for them to exist with mask regulations than to not. Corporations would not be putting in rules at their own stores, of their own volition, which would cost them MORE money. If Wal-Mart is scared of transmission, you should be too.

Gov. Kemp, R-Georgia, *just* issued a ruling forbidding any local governments from mandating masks.

When I wear a mask in public, or decline an invitation to a party or to come inside:
🔵 I want you to know that I am educated enough to know that I could be asymptomatic and still give you the virus.
🔵 No, I don’t “live in fear” of the virus; I just want to be part of the solution, not the problem.
🔵 I don’t feel like the “government is controlling me” any more than when I wear a seat belt, don't drive drunk, obey the speed limit, or stop at a red light. I feel like I’m being a contributing adult to society and I want to teach others the same.
🔵 The world doesn’t revolve around me. It’s not all about me and my comfort.
🔵 If we all could follow these simple steps, the virus could be under control, and businesses back open.
🔵 Wearing a mask doesn’t make me weak, scared, stupid, or even “controlled.” It makes me considerate.
🔵 When you think about how you look, how uncomfortable it is, or what others think of you, just imagine someone close to you - a child, a father, a mother, aunt, uncle, or grandparent - choking on a respirator, alone without you or any family member allowed at bedside.
🔵 Ask yourself if you could have sucked it up a little for them.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Hawkfan said:

Yes, there is a demand for restaurants to be open, there is a demand for schools to be open, demand for air travel, but it can't be met due to unnecessary restrictions (the uneducated would call them protections). I believe there is definitely some cause for concern when you see the Government trying to "protect" us so much.  If you think them doling out money to citizens is a good thing, that's fine, but I can't believe that is a good strategy.

Who said anything about continually giving money to citizens? If schools open and cases surge, we will be back online and the same people will b**** again.

1 hour ago, caulfield12 said:
When I wear a mask in public, or decline an invitation to a party or to come inside:
🔵 I want you to know that I am educated enough to know that I could be asymptomatic and still give you the virus.
🔵 No, I don’t “live in fear” of the virus; I just want to be part of the solution, not the problem.
🔵 I don’t feel like the “government is controlling me” any more than when I wear a seat belt, don't drive drunk, obey the speed limit, or stop at a red light. I feel like I’m being a contributing adult to society and I want to teach others the same.
🔵 The world doesn’t revolve around me. It’s not all about me and my comfort.
🔵 If we all could follow these simple steps, the virus could be under control, and businesses back open.
🔵 Wearing a mask doesn’t make me weak, scared, stupid, or even “controlled.” It makes me considerate.
🔵 When you think about how you look, how uncomfortable it is, or what others think of you, just imagine someone close to you - a child, a father, a mother, aunt, uncle, or grandparent - choking on a respirator, alone without you or any family member allowed at bedside.
🔵 Ask yourself if you could have sucked it up a little for them.

Has anyone else noticed, most people that don't wear masks would generally help society by covering their faces?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1