COVID-19/Coronavirus thread

caulfield12

Millions of Americans have lost employer-sponsored health care coverage since the coronavirus pandemic hit the U.S., causing a recession and widespread job losses.

Nearly half of all Americans receive their health insurance through their employer. And amid coronavirus layoffs, some states have seen a massive uptick in the number of uninsured adults.

According to a report by Families USA, a non-profit public health organization, nine states and the District of Columbia have more than a 30% increase in the number of uninsured from February to May 2020, compared to 2018. Overall, the percentage increase of uninsured in the U.S. is at 21%, with 5.3 million people losing health care coverage between February and May.

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/lost-health-insurance-coronavirus-pandemic-125934943.html

8 hours ago, pcq said:

People are losing their flipping minds. The Chuck Woolery's of the world and their death-cult. 

Chuck Woolerys son caught the virus. Chuck has changed his mind about the hoax, and deleted his twitter account. That didn’t take very long.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Dick Allen said:

Chuck Woolerys son caught the virus. Chuck has changed his mind about the hoax, and deleted his twitter account. That didn’t take very long.

He went to Northwestern... graduated in 1992. David, pretty sure that's his first name.   Around 50.   

Edited by caulfield12

18 hours ago, The Beast said:

What is communist about Democratic ideas? Why is Devos in the position she is in? Why does she mention school choice instead of finding solutions during a pandemic?

I didn't say democratic, I said democrat.  All you have to do is read definition of communism now and it will make sense. She's done more for teaching underpriveleged children than anyone in government. Just look at her businesseses, look at the philanthropy, and she's been a pioneer in successful private schools that would be open to the entire public under her school voucher plan. School choice would be an awesome solution to our current issue, I won't go so far as to call it a pandemic like you have.

• Haha 1

Dr. Anthony Fauci joins TWiV to discuss SARS-CoV-2 transmission, testing, immunity, pathogenesis, vaccines, and preparedness.

e: if anyone wants to read the og Communist Manifesto, it can be found here. It's a short and important historical document written as the revolutions of 1848 were heating up.

Edited by StrangeSox

54 minutes ago, Hawkfan said:

I didn't say democratic, I said democrat.  All you have to do is read definition of communism now and it will make sense. She's done more for teaching underpriveleged children than anyone in government. Just look at her businesseses, look at the philanthropy, and she's been a pioneer in successful private schools that would be open to the entire public under her school voucher plan. School choice would be an awesome solution to our current issue, I won't go so far as to call it a pandemic like you have.

So first of all, what data are you using to support the claim her businesses and philanthropy has done more than anyone in government?  That is a wild claim.

Second, you wouldn't call this a pandemic?  What in the world?  What is your definition of a pandemic and how does this not fit it?

• Like 2

13 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

Millions of Americans have lost employer-sponsored health care coverage since the coronavirus pandemic hit the U.S., causing a recession and widespread job losses.

Nearly half of all Americans receive their health insurance through their employer. And amid coronavirus layoffs, some states have seen a massive uptick in the number of uninsured adults.

According to a report by Families USA, a non-profit public health organization, nine states and the District of Columbia have more than a 30% increase in the number of uninsured from February to May 2020, compared to 2018. Overall, the percentage increase of uninsured in the U.S. is at 21%, with 5.3 million people losing health care coverage between February and May.

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/lost-health-insurance-coronavirus-pandemic-125934943.html

It's almost like having heath insurance tied to having and keeping a FT job is a bad idea and we should come up with a different system...

nBrwz.jpg

• Love 2

17 minutes ago, bigruss said:

So first of all, what data are you using to support the claim her businesses and philanthropy has done more than anyone in government?  That is a wild claim.

Second, you wouldn't call this a pandemic?  What in the world?  What is your definition of a pandemic and how does this not fit it?

https://www.politico.com/story/2016/12/betsy-devos-michigan-school-experiment-232399
He’s wrong on everything.  Look at the record in Michigan.  Or look at her record protecting the interests of financial institutions over borrowers.  Look at how much harder it is to qualify for forbearance.  Look at how many profit machine online schools with little job placement success are being gifted hundreds of millions of dollars in PPP money.  Look at the disproportionate number of ex military as well as black and Hispanic students being taken advantage of by false advertising claims by those online schools.

Some charter schools with billionaires funding them do perform better, but that’s not scalable...the majority struggle financially, have significant corruption issues and siphon off money from public schools.

How would they be open to the entire public?   That’s laughable.

Sure, a voucher for $5000 will magically allow everyone to pay $12500-17500 in tuition.  Brilliant.   It will help maybe 25-30% of middle school parents, perhaps, but the other 70-75% will be MUCH worse off than previously.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Hawkfan said:

Devos is an elitist idiot, pure and simple.

Looks like CPS is proposing a 2-1-2 model. Kids are broken into 2 groups. 1 group goes 2 days, then 1 day of virtual instruction, then group 2 goes 2 days.

Sounds like the Union is resisting. Not sure what else the teachers can expect here. There just is really no feasible way to have 100% virtual instruction right now.  

16 minutes ago, Soxbadger said:

Looks like CPS is proposing a 2-1-2 model. Kids are broken into 2 groups. 1 group goes 2 days, then 1 day of virtual instruction, then group 2 goes 2 days.

Sounds like the Union is resisting. Not sure what else the teachers can expect here. There just is really no feasible way to have 100% virtual instruction right now.  

Would you go every day right now into 8 hours of meetings in a conference room with 12 people at a time, swapping in and out every hour? 

5 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Would you go every day right now into 8 hours of meetings in a conference room with 12 people at a time, swapping in and out every hour? 

If that was my job and no way I could do it any other way, yes.

We ask people at grocery stores to do it for far less pay with far less protection.

If the union wants to use their dues to buy every kid a computer, then virtual learning becomes more feasible and id consider that offer.

4 minutes ago, Soxbadger said:

If that was my job and no way I could do it any other way, yes.

We ask people at grocery stores to do it for far less pay with far less protection.

If the union wants to use their dues to buy every kid a computer, then virtual learning becomes more feasible and id consider that offer.

No we don't, the people at grocery stores interact with the people they pass for minutes at a time, not hours. They are also getting protective gear, including shields, which each union has every right to make a similar complaint about...and if 1/3 of the people at a grocery store quit because they have health concerns, they can be replaced rather quickly, unlike with teachers. 

10 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

No we don't, the people at grocery stores interact with the people they pass for minutes at a time, not hours. They are also getting protective gear, including shields, which each union has every right to make a similar complaint about...and if 1/3 of the people at a grocery store quit because they have health concerns, they can be replaced rather quickly, unlike with teachers. 

Im not a scientist but id think being exposed to hundreds of people a day is more risky than 15. If they want protecive gear, thats fine.

And teachers last year didnt show up for 2 weeks while they struck, for the last 2 months I taught my child exclusively besides for less than 10 20 minute google meets. All of the course work was print outs from the internet and links to websites.

If all they are doing is espark and ixl every day with me doing all of the instruction do you think teachers should take a pay cut?

Edit 

And how quickly someone can be replaced has nothing to do with safety. Its taking an elitist position based on leverage of skill. Even if a grocery bagger can be replaced eaiser, it doesnt mean they deserve less protection.

Edited by Soxbadger
  • Like 1

I don't have kids so I really have no idea what the deal is. This past spring, we have never had anything like this, so I could understand not being totally prepared for on line learning, but have they not been working on this the past couple of months? Improve it. Have a virtual classroom where teachers can call on students. Make it easy for them to have the teacher check their work. It doesn't seem too complicated. For those students without a computer, get them one. It doesn't take a $2000 model to run something like this. 

1 minute ago, Dick Allen said:

I don't have kids so I really have no idea what the deal is. This past spring, we have never had anything like this, so I could understand not being totally prepared for on line learning, but have they not been working on this the past couple of months? Improve it. Have a virtual classroom where teachers can call on students. Make it easy for them to have the teacher check their work. It doesn't seem too complicated. For those students without a computer, get them one. It doesn't take a $2000 model to run something like this. 

Lack of funding for a normal school year is a regular problem.  Now when you start throwing in all of the unfunded mandates being required to get back to school, most facilities don't' have these resources.  On the opposite side of this, when you have a poverty issue like you do in Chicago, getting kids on a laptop and internet at home isn't an automatic thing.  You can't make the assumption that this is normal.

21 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

I would think the risk of a grocery store employee is much higher than the risk of a teacher.  Grocery store employee comes across 100's of people multiple days a week, vs. teacher who spends more time with a smaller group of children.  Both have risks, but I think the person working the grocery and/or bagging groceries is much higher.  

2 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Lack of funding for a normal school year is a regular problem.  Now when you start throwing in all of the unfunded mandates being required to get back to school, most facilities don't' have these resources.  On the opposite side of this, when you have a poverty issue like you do in Chicago, getting kids on a laptop and internet at home isn't an automatic thing.  You can't make the assumption that this is normal.

Our district provided hotspots to those kids who had internet issues at home and than depending on the grade they have 1:1 ipad or chrome book or 1:2 but they divied them out to those in need.  I'm sure they had to at least buy some in advance and that is just one district example. I happen to live in a district that is pretty mixed, half of the district is pretty affluent and than the other half of the district is the exact opposite with high degree of low income families.